Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM   #3256
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCJ View Post
Hello fellow Albertan A cross body bag could work; my first thought was stroller bags, because we will be using the stroller as a wheelchair in lines (immunosuppressed kid; icky, icky germs).
Would something like that be complicated? I can figure stuff out with some clear instructions, but I'm a long way from being able to wing it
Would this pattern work?
http://www.youcanmakethis.com/produc...ssengerbag.htm

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music Family Suite, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music Family Suite, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music /
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #3257
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
I got photobucket to work now!!! Well ,I didn't really get it to work, it decided to be cooperative this time.

Here are the jeans I made to match the dog shirt -- all appliques are Heather's. I planned on putting some small paw prints scattered about too, but dd wanted to wear them right away so in the essence of time, no paw prints.

And the wolf shirt and skirt -- I love these designs from AZ Embroidery Barn because they stitch out so fast! I also wasn't keen on the fabric for the under layer of the skirt, but wanted to use from my stash. Once finished though I think it looks really nice together.

Thanks for looking and now you all know I didn't crawl in a hole and quit sewing. And I'm excited to sew and embroider again so I plan on doing more this week.
the jeans are great. I'm sure Alexa will get lots of use out of those. The wolf outfit is amazing. The shirt is so unique. So I guess you found your wolf fabric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
I can't believe I haven't logged in here in almost a month. I really haven't done much sewing either And dare I say it but I think we are going to wear some of the same shirts from last year
I didn't realize your trip was coming up so soon. Time is flying by so quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Mini Vent

So I was asked to make V's friend a dress for Disney. It has now turned into 2 dresses, 1 traditional Disney and 1 princess. My problem is that she wasn't very specific about what she wanted. She is Very wishy washy. I am doing a Simply Sweet. I suggested light purple and light pink alternating with princesses on each panel. I asked her to come over to measure her daughter. It was a 3 ring freaking circus with this 6 year old running all over my house/my parents, chasing my cat crawling on the floor, shaking my moms sewing table. ugh. I forgot to ask her to try on a sample so a couple days later I had her come again and try on the dress. SAME THING. The kid is running all over the house crawling all over the floor (in this sample dress) while I chat with her mother. It may be my house but it is not my place to tell her daughter how to behave. I can't imagine anyone allowing their kid to run all over someone elses house. If V ever did that ...... well you can bet she wouldn't because well she just wouldn't. She knows it is just not okay. my parents were telling this little girl to go upstairs and not to do stuff and she wouldn't even listen to them. This kid is a total mess and that is because her mother does not control her AT ALL!

Ok that aside. so mom is wishy washy I suggested a light pink and purple for the skirt with princesses on them, she said yes. I specificially said light fabrics so the princesses would stand out. Next thing they come to try on the sample dress just to see size and she is asking about white she now wants white in it. white, pink and purple panels alternating. Okay..... (well that isn't going to look great but whatever). Next thing I hear she wants a darker pink for the ruffle and straps. so I go get a fabric that coordinates with the light pink and purple but is a darker pink. I tell her I got a darker pink. Now she wants dark pink and white. OMG I'm going insane.

Last night I sent her a list of options, She texts me this morning and says she'll get back to me this afternoon. The full afternoon passes and I never hear from her.

I really wanted to get a start on this dress so I decided not to seek out supply work today. Well that turned into a waste of a day!

It becomes clear to me as I analyze her reaction looking at the fabrics, that she doesn't like the colors at all, but she didn't tell me that. I went out looking today and found a different fabric that I know she'll like better, as I know understand that she likes darker/brighter pink. I found a bright pink and purple tiara fabric that when used with alternating white for the skirt, I think it will look good. I also bought a coordinating fabric that goes with it for the ruffle. I text her tell her I found a fabric I think she'll like better and I'll email her a picture. She texts back awesome I'll email you back this evening.

I do not hear from her until 11:15 pm. Argh so irritating because now I replied with a question and who knows when that will get answered. What drives me nuts is this. She is a SAHM. Her daughter is in school full days. I DO NOT mean to imply that SAHM stay at home all day or anything not at all. what is frustrating is that she said she would get back to me and didn't until hours later. She knew I was at home waiting for an answer. I said please get back to me asap I'd like to start the dress today.

So 11:15 I hear back from her. She likes the fabrics I found today better and she thinks her daughter will as well, And I quote! "I'm really not a fan of light or pastel pink and purple." WTH If you had said that from the very beginning when I suggested light pink and purple, I would not have wasted money buying fabric. Sure it will get used eventually but not the point! If you didn't like light pink and purple, why agree to it in the first place.

Sigh..... So I email back asking what she wants for the ruffle and the sleeves and if she wants sparkly blue for the tiara applique on the bodice or a sparkly purple to match the other colors in the dress. so she emails back and asks for a white ruffle and sparkly purple for the tiara and for the sleeves too! (uhhh nope not an option that material is too expensive)

so wmailing back and forth tonight and most of it is decided. Talking about the second dress appliquees Same simply sweet design with panels and appliques and she wants me to do a mickey head, Minnie head and my first visit appliques and then repeat them on the back of the dress so each applique is used twice. Why would you do that, why not pick 6 different appliques.

sigh my head hurts. it is decided tho to have 6 different ones and she just said I trust your design so I'm going with my gut and doing the appliques that will look best.

This woman makes me nuts!! lol

okay done.... hmmm that wasn't really a mini vent. First prize to the one who actually read the whole thing.

I feel a lot better however!
Yikes Erin. I hope you get the dresses made before she changes her mind. But seriously, I wouldn't worry too much about pleasing her. I'm sure her DD will be happy with what ever you make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieFanatic View Post
Hello everyone! I have been quietly reading these threads for...a year?! And just now finally decided to take the jump off and dust off the ol' machine and make something. Here's the funny part: it's not even Disney themed! We're headed to that other park in Orlando...so this is a Funktional Threads "Rachel" inspired by Minion Mayhem. We're having character breakfast there so....
Thank you to everyone on this thread for their beautiful work. I have drooled over them for so long.
I hope this picture works! Here goes nothing. Don't look too closely either! Lol.
Welcome! You did a great job on this dress. I have been tempted to buy this pattern but I'm holding off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Hey there! Haven't seen much of you lately. Are you all ready to move? Or have you moved already? Can't remember your timeline. Good to see you again!

I have been playing around with my machine, doing a few "in the hoop" projects.

I'm going to put a fun chapstik and some money in the little change purses and give the to my granddaughters for Easter.

ETA: forgot to say the patterns I used came from Five Star Fonts Embroidery
Great job on the ITH projects. I'm sure they will be a big hit with your granddaughters.

Nini - maybe you could store your fabric in rubbermaids and then post a picture of what is in there on the outside of the bin????? And keep a copy of the picture near your other fabric. But if you do figure something out please share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
So, My post is not really of sewing but I did make one of the potholders in the first picture (the polka dot one) and my Aunt made my special curtains for me while I was on vacation one year. They are Mickey Mouse Plaid, sorry you can't see them better in the second picture.

Here is my New-To-Me kitchen table I bought off craigslist today. I bought two of the chairs from Salvation Army as I posted before and then found this on Craigslist. I had to get it.
I can't believe you found that table! It looks great in your kitchen. Love the curtains and pot holders too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
My husband is the most easy going person ever, so he actually wasn't too devastated. I think it upset him though, he doesn't let it show. I will say it's definitely a weird situation. We are visiting his Dad in Florida and it is evident that he didn't do much for himself for the last 40+ years. When we arrived there was almost no food, only 3 yogurts, which my kids quickly consumed and 2/3 of his food was gone. My husband took him grocery shopping last night. Our trip has beeb quite an adventure beside that, the kids are still coming off their croup, I got taken down for a few days with fever and cough, and then about 50 miles from grandpa's house one of my boys threw up, a lot. All over the Lilo and Stitch outfit the other kid had fallen asleep eating a Mickey bar and I was able to get most of the chocolate out. Now, however, that outfit is going into the trash. It's beyond ruined. Poor little guy was covered and we had to stop on the side of the highway and strip him down, but when my husband set him on the ground to get him out of his clothing he got about 2 dozen ant bites, so he has welts all over his feet and ankles. I guess if we do go back to Ohana, new stitch shirts are in order. My husband was able to get most of the stink out, thankfully, but I think we will still have the car detailed. Yuck

Jen
Oh, not a fun way to start your trip. The ant bites sound painful, poor little guy, but I'm glad it isn't bothering him. The boys look so cute in their Avengers outfits. Glad they can get some use out of them before summer makes it to chicago. A nice restful vacation sounds like fun, at least it is warm. Hope the lizards stay outside.

Quote:
Got my neighbors dress done for his grand-daughter. yes, another one. I figured I would make it up to him for wanting a simple dress and not getting one. I found a pattern almost exactly like the contest ones he liked in the size I needed. I hope he likes it. Here it is....
That dress looks so nice. I'm sure grandpa and his DGD will both love it. I am not happy about the new Minnie outfits. Honestly, I didn't want to visit the characters in the new Fantasyland because they are in their circus wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post

It does sound like DH's dad isn't used to doing things for himself. I'm glad that there was at least a few yogurts in the house when you got there. I hope that you are finally starting to feel better. Being sick on vacation really stinks. I remember when we went to Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone, I had a terrible ear infection and hadn't felt good in a couple of days. We were in the middle of no where when luckily we stumbled on a walk in clinic while we were driving between the two places. We had been driving through hundreds of miles of empty prairie when we happened upon a good sized town and we stopped for lunch. Right next door was a walk in clinic and across the street was a CVS so I was able to get my rx filled immediately too. We didn't pass through another town for like 200 miles! Driving through the mountain pass later that day wasn't pleasant with my ear killing me. But I was so glad to have found the clinic otherwise Yellowstone would have been miserable!
Ouch!!! I'm glad you found that clinic. My DS had an ear infection a few weeks ago and I could feel his pain. He was so uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micki1881 View Post
One of my new obsessions. Felt dress up dolls. This is the Minnie dress with customized mouse ears. Dorthy and Tinker Bell. And then a custom rupunzel birthday shirt.
The felt dolls are so cute and I love the rapunzel shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
I love your felt dress up dolls, they are really cute. Your shirt turned out great too!

I had to make an apron for my serger class I took on craftsy, so of course I had to disneyfy it. I think it turned out pretty cute, but I don't wear aprons, so not sure what I am going to do with it, but here it is...
Did you learn alot in yoru class? Your apron came out really nice. That would make a cute gift for someone headed to WDW soon or who loves the mouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
So a little bit of update from my corner of the world:

The last month has been crazy since my aunt died from the traffic collison (it was a double hit and run). We are now the "responsible adults" to my cousin, which added to our work quite a bit. However, I finally got back to the sewing room this weekend and started sewing again. It was very theraputic. I finished a few things for the Gives and I hope to get around to making something for myself. Some of you may remember that we were talking about a September trip. Well, we decided to go in the beginning of December instead - we wanted to attend the Candlelight Processional and this year is one of the few years we can do that given DH's work schedule. Also we can redeem airmiles for plane tickets if we go in December. This means I will have to plan some fall/winter outfits for our trip. I will have to look at the average temperature for that time of the year and decide what we need to bring. Let's hope everything works out so we can take the trip!
Flora - love the idea of a December trip. My family was just watching the WDW travel video the other night and we were remembering our December trip. I think it was my favorite trip and I think the Candellight processional was one of my favorite things at Disney (not just at holiday time). Even Curtis, who was 3 at the time, enjoyed the performance. He sat still and stayed awake for the entire story. The Osbourne lights is awesome. I can't WAIT to see what you make for your trip. Layers are good. During our trip we had record high temperatures in the 80s and I know the following year it was freezing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice2 View Post
I really want to join the disboutiquer club. It's one of the coolest ones on the board and I want in. I don't sew but have always wanted to learn. I got really inspired by Dgeurts bags and some of the other fun stuff that people have done so I wanted in. Today I tried to join.

I have been reading this thread for months. I watched youtube videos, I visited some sewing machine stores, fabric stores, read books and did lots research.

I was committed. Even if no one else understood, I was going to do it. I went to Sears because they had a couple of different choices, I had some rewards points and a 10% coupon. I had my heart set on a brother machine but when I got there, the Singer Stylist had so many more features (some I learned about during the research stage) that I decided to get that one.

Why, Sears are you making the little old lady that sells vacuums and sewing machines use an Ipad to ring people up? Why are you torturing her that way? The coupons never work so we wound up going over to the register anyway.

Anyway, the coupon would not take because it was some everyday low price and I could only use my points. Anyway, it was $191.00 once my points were taken into consideration, with tax $202. Not a great deal but I felt bad for spending so much time with this lady so I bought it.

I got home and looked on Amazon for the same machine. $164 . I took it back to Sears right away. I have $80 in gift cards on Amazon so my OOP cost will be a lot less. I can get my rotary cut and mat this way.

I also have Amazon Prime so free shipping. I will become a disboutiquer, I will.
Welcome! Glad you were able to get a new machine, for a better price. Guess I haven't been to sears in a while since I had no idea they were using iPads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
I think I did right after I refurbed Beth. But, you could come over to my Kiddley Divey Sewing page on FB and see all of them and why they each have a Little Women name. . Those posts were in Sept. last year, not too far down the page though, for anyone interested.

Regards,
C.
Carrie - I loved reading about your "staff" members and the name of your shop.

Quote:
Hi everyone! My family is off on a MAW trip at the end of April and I could use some help :-)
Thanks to some bad influences here on DIS, my sewing machine has been rescued from the basement (My MIL owned a fabric store and was attempting to teach me how to quilt. I haven't really touched the machine since she died 5 years ago). I was thinking of making a couple small stroller bags that could somehow attach towards the front of the double stroller, so each girl (5 1/2 and 4 years) could have her own access to things like snacks and stickers. Any ideas of how I could make something like that?
Thanks!
The velcro pouches sound like a good idea. Or the little purses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
The end of November/Beginning of December has had Free Dining offered for the past SEVERAL years...(at least 3) But I am getting nervous about it being offered this year. Disney has really changed their discounts this year from the past years...I know....I know... They have been saying they were for several years now, but things have remained the same.

The only hope I have is that tey ARE offering PINs right now for Free Dining in the early Fall... so that at least gives me hope... I was booking a trip for the early fall just in case we didn't get FD in our preferred time frame...but hubby nixed the idea. He said we would just pay the extra for dining if it wasn't offered....

Nini

I really need to look into getting a Crystal Ball!
Free dining for the fall would be nice. We are hoping for a October trip but Casey is already fretting about missing a few days of 7th grade. I just think she doesn't want to do any "extra" homework.

Diane - How is your DH doing?

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #3258
JWCJ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
That would be easy, wouldn't it - essentially a long rectangle folded? I'd probably make it a tad bigger, would be my guess, but I imagine I can handle that

Ja's Make A Wish PTR

MAW TR!
JWCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #3259
abqgreene
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCJ
Hi everyone! My family is off on a MAW trip at the end of April and I could use some help :-)
Thanks to some bad influences here on DIS, my sewing machine has been rescued from the basement (My MIL owned a fabric store and was attempting to teach me how to quilt. I haven't really touched the machine since she died 5 years ago). I was thinking of making a couple small stroller bags that could somehow attach towards the front of the double stroller, so each girl (5 1/2 and 4 years) could have her own access to things like snacks and stickers. Any ideas of how I could make something like that?
Thanks!
My time is Super limited with things in my class right now. Unfortunately, I don't have time to set up PhotoBucket for the pictures. If you would like to PM me your address right now, I will email them tomorrow morning.
Heather
abqgreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #3260
JWCJ
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqgreene View Post
My time is Super limited with things in my class right now. Unfortunately, I don't have time to set up PhotoBucket for the pictures. If you would like to PM me your address right now, I will email them tomorrow morning.
Heather
Heather, thank you so much. I PM'd you.

Thank you for all the ideas, everyone! Now I just hope I remember how to do this!

Ja's Make A Wish PTR

MAW TR!
JWCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #3261
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer

So sorry again, I'm behind as usual. I don't think I'll ever be on top of things here. I will come on soon to comment. But quick question for now. I am making the Lauren dress with short sleeves and I think the seam ends up inside between the bodice and lining. I am having trouble figuring out how to lay the sleeve on the bodice to attach. Anyone awake who knows this? I just need the order of layers, with the inside or outside of sleeve touching what. Hope that makes sense, maybe I should sleep on it. Just was hoping to finish tonight.
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #3262
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post
So sorry again, I'm behind as usual. I don't think I'll ever be on top of things here. I will come on soon to comment. But quick question for now. I am making the Lauren dress with short sleeves and I think the seam ends up inside between the bodice and lining. I am having trouble figuring out how to lay the sleeve on the bodice to attach. Anyone awake who knows this? I just need the order of layers, with the inside or outside of sleeve touching what. Hope that makes sense, maybe I should sleep on it. Just was hoping to finish tonight.
I have not made the Lauren, so I'm no help, but maybe someone is available in the Funktional Thread Facebook page?

Regards,
C.

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #3263
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
I really need to look into getting a Crystal Ball!
I wish that I had one of those! It would definitely get some good use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbooksellman View Post
I just got lessons on my Bernina 440 qe embroidery machine. I am so happy to know how to use it. I see so many of you do beautiful work. I can use download designs, not ready to create my own.
Can someone recommend a place to get Disney designs for me to download to embroider? I several on ebay, but am not sure if they are safe to use. I also see some on etsy. Any help would be appreiciated.
Try Froufrou by Heather Sue. Also Lynnie Pinnie has some Disney-ish designs. Some on Etsy/Ebay sew out great and others are terrible so I tend to buy mostly from Heather Sue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Yes, that was me. My dad has taken two garden tractors and modded them significantly. One has tank treads and the other is articulated (bends in the middle). I think my dad came up on D's trip report actually.

I thought you'd seen my Beth.

Regards,
C.
I remember that there was a video of your dad with the tractor he fixed up. What a fun hobby!

Quote:

At least here I can just send the boys out to do something like look for lizards in the yard, which is insanely exciting for them. Hopefully they keep them outside. I do not wish to be finding lizards or other creatures in their pockets...
Cute picture! I am glad that you are all getting better. I'm sure that the lovely Florida weather is helping. Be careful with the little geckos. We've had them come home in our suitcase once or twice!

Quote:
Hello fellow Albertan A cross body bag could work; my first thought was stroller bags, because we will be using the stroller as a wheelchair in lines (immunosuppressed kid; icky, icky germs).
Would something like that be complicated? I can figure stuff out with some clear instructions, but I'm a long way from being able to wing it
The cross body bag that somebody posted looks cute and sound like it would work great for you. When my girls were that age, we went to Walmart and I found mini-backpacks for them with Disney characters on them. They were a great size, not too big and not too small. They fit their water bottles and pin lanyards and a light jacket. They still carry them. So just in case you don't want to sew those might be another option for you. If you do want to sew, drawstring backpacks are super easy. And there are a million free tutorials for them on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
Diane - How is your DH doing?
My husband is doing very well. Thanks for asking. He is completely recovered from his thyroid surgery and they got his medication dosage stabilized. He won't have to see the endocrinologist for 6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post
I have that pattern but haven't made one yet. You should post your question on the Funktional Threads FB page. Either Lisa will answer your question herself or there are lots of other ladies who can help you out with it.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #3264
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was thinking something really simple for the cross body bag. I am thinking literally sewing 2 rectangles together with a zipper on top. You can add short ribbon loops on each side and use lobster clips to attach the strap (can be a ribbon too) to the bag. Based on your PTR, are you in Edmonton?

Quote:
Flora - love the idea of a December trip. My family was just watching the WDW travel video the other night and we were remembering our December trip. I think it was my favorite trip and I think the Candellight processional was one of my favorite things at Disney (not just at holiday time). Even Curtis, who was 3 at the time, enjoyed the performance. He sat still and stayed awake for the entire story. The Osbourne lights is awesome. I can't WAIT to see what you make for your trip. Layers are good. During our trip we had record high temperatures in the 80s and I know the following year it was freezing.

Free dining for the fall would be nice. We are hoping for a October trip but Casey is already fretting about missing a few days of 7th grade. I just think she doesn't want to do any "extra" homework.
I am looking forward to planning a December trip. We saw some of the Christmas decorations during our previous trips in January, so we can't wait to see everything in full swing!

I don't know if it helps to tell Casey that it is really not a big deal to miss a few days of school. I was away from school for a week at a time to attend workshops in both grades 11 and 12 and I never felt I missed anything. I think I turned out ok despite missing classes since I managed to complete my university education.

Diane - you posted after I started typing the reply. I am glad to hear that your DH is doing much better.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #3265
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
I am just dropping by while I have an internet connection to share my boys' superhero outfits. We let them have their easter baskets this morning since the outfits are only going to get use while we are in florida, the weather back home in Chicago is still terrible.

We are all getting over the crud, even I am feeling much better, just coughing a lot and still really tired. But hey, vacation is great for rest. I am thankful that we decided to not go to Disney World on this trip, it would be misery to be so sick and so fatigued and trying to have a good time. At least here I can just send the boys out to do something like look for lizards in the yard, which is insanely exciting for them. Hopefully they keep them outside. I do not wish to be finding lizards or other creatures in their pockets...
I am glad you are all feeling better and the boys look so cute in their outfits. Hopefully no lizards come home with you since they would not like the cold.

Finished the final thing for my neighbor's grand-daughter. I used some of the leftover Cinderella fabric and still have enough that I cut out a second apron and another block remaining. I think I over bought.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #3266
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I don't know if it helps to tell Casey that it is really not a big deal to miss a few days of school. I was away from school for a week at a time to attend workshops in both grades 11 and 12 and I never felt I missed anything. I think I turned out ok despite missing classes since I managed to complete my university education.
Same here. I missed 3 weeks of 11th grade to go on a trip to France. But I think that times were different then and there was more leeway. Now, my kids have a hard time making up work if they are sick for a couple of days. I took my older dd out of school to go to the orthodontist a few weeks ago and she missed turning in her math homework. The teacher wouldn't accept late and gave her a zero. And that was with an excused absence from school. It was never an issue for us to go to Disney during school when the kids were in elementary school but it is a lot harder now. I understand that next year when Sara is in high school that it will be practically impossible for her to miss a few days of school to go away. That has me nervous because we have a family wedding next fall and we've already committed to attending it. She will have to miss two days of school

Quote:
Finished the final thing for my neighbor's grand-daughter. I used some of the leftover Cinderella fabric and still have enough that I cut out a second apron and another block remaining. I think I over bought.

That turned out great. I hope she loves both the dress and the apron! I know that I have some of the same fabric that you made that dress out of. I searched all through my stash and I can't find it. It is driving me nuts! I guess it will turn up eventually! Or maybe I already made something with it????

I finished this outfit yesterday. It is the Emma swing top and I paired it with a pair of easy fit capri's.

I have to admit that I did not enjoy making the swing top. It looks like such a cute pattern but I found the assembly difficult and I didn't enjoy it at all. I am going to try to modify the way it is assembled and see if it turns out better. Otherwise I probably won't make another one after that.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #3267
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The apron turned out well. In many ways it was better to overbought the fabric. You can always use the "leftovers" for another project.

Quote:
Same here. I missed 3 weeks of 11th grade to go on a trip to France. But I think that times were different then and there was more leeway. Now, my kids have a hard time making up work if they are sick for a couple of days. I took my older dd out of school to go to the orthodontist a few weeks ago and she missed turning in her math homework. The teacher wouldn't accept late and gave her a zero. And that was with an excused absence from school. It was never an issue for us to go to Disney during school when the kids were in elementary school but it is a lot harder now. I understand that next year when Sara is in high school that it will be practically impossible for her to miss a few days of school to go away. That has me nervous because we have a family wedding next fall and we've already committed to attending it. She will have to miss two days of school

I finished this outfit yesterday. It is the Emma swing top and I paired it with a pair of easy fit capri's.

I have to admit that I did not enjoy making the swing top. It looks like such a cute pattern but I found the assembly difficult and I didn't enjoy it at all. I am going to try to modify the way it is assembled and see if it turns out better. Otherwise I probably won't make another one after that.
I guess times have changed since I was in high school! (Does it mean that I am old? ) I cannot believe the teacher would not accept the homework due to an excused absence! I hope being away for a family wedding won't cause too much trouble for Sara. I think it is one of those "family comes first" type of thing.

I thought your outfit turned out nicely. I am sorry to hear that the pattern was difficult to work with. I hope you can modify it to make it work.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #3268
strega7
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Did you learn alot in yoru class? Your apron came out really nice. That would make a cute gift for someone headed to WDW soon or who loves the mouse.

Thank you! Yes I did learn a lot in the serger class. When I first started, I barely know what a serger was, and I was really afraid of it. Now I can do overlocks, rolled hems, ruffles (which are super easy!) and a bunch of other stuff. I have a friend that loves disney and cooking, so I was thinking about giving the apron to her, I am sure she will like it.

Quote:

I didn't comment on the dress before, but I think it turned out really cute, and I bet it will look even more adorable on your neighbor's grand-daughter. I love having left over fabric, it is great that you had enough to make an apron. She is one lucky little girl.

Quote:

I am in the same boat with my son, he starts high school in a year and a half, so school it getting so hard it is almost impossible to take him out. He doesn't even want to go to Disney anymore for fear of missing school.

I am sorry you didn't enjoy making the top, the whole outfit turned out really pretty though... Hopefully the modifications you make will make it more fun to put together.

Marci
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #3269
lovesdumbo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That turned out great. I hope she loves both the dress and the apron! I know that I have some of the same fabric that you made that dress out of. I searched all through my stash and I can't find it. It is driving me nuts! I guess it will turn up eventually! Or maybe I already made something with it????

Your outfit is so beautiful-sorry to hear the top was frustrating to make. I have always loved the look of the top but I have never tried it. Lisa From Funktional Threads once posted (a long time ago) a version she made with the back as one piece. She made an elastic casing in the top of the back. I don't remember how she attached the straps but I really loved her version-well I actually love everything she makes! Hope you can find an easier way to make it.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #3270
jiminykrikkit
Mouseketeer

Hi everyone! I'd love to join in if you'll have me. I am mostly a quilter, but I sew a ton and I'm busy making my 2.5 year old son a little backpack to stow his travel entertainment. Here's the pattern I'm using. I'm not "Disney-fying" it unfortunately, but I may do so in the future if I like how this one turns out. For this one I'm using blue fabric with cars on it. It's a Japanese fabric from Echino if you're familiar with that.

Something y'all might find interesting! A blog I follow is doing a Princess sew-along using Simplicity 2377. It's an easy dress pattern and she's explaining on the blog how to make princess dresses from it. So far she's done Alice (turned out so cute!), but I know there are more in the works in case you want to follow along. Here's the link. Maybe y'all already know about it, but I thought I'd share just in case!

I can't wait to share more with y'all. I am on Threadbias too (like Facebook for people that sew!).

jiminykrikkit is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: