Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #2986
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnanddbyz View Post

This is my new baby. Sorry for the delay in posting her picture. I had to wait for my husband and son to carry her upstairs for me. Then put her together and play a while. Below is what I used to try her out. Just a UFO I pulled out to practice quilting on. Please help me name her. My husband calls her money pit but I have nicknamed her big bertha but I dont like that. She is BIG and FAST. And truth be told she cost less then a cheap Walmart machine. I LOVE her. I just need more practice. Thanks for looking. Please post name suggestions.

congrats! I am looking for a pattern for the little garbage bag you have, can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #2987
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
Since the Kona cottons seemed to be a better choice, you might want to look at sew-sisters.com. They are out of Toronto. I did a quick look at pricing and their Kona's were comparable. They also have free shipping for orders over $100.

Judy
Thanks Judy, I've never heard of them I'll check them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Erin - I use Kona for most of my bags and appliques. However - Kona is a tight weave heavy cotton... so along with being durable - I've found that if you are using it to make lots of ruffles or a dress that has a lining under it... The ruffles get really heavy, and a dress with lining gets pretty thick too... So, try to use like a broadcloth for the lining portion if your are using Kona for the other parts... Or if you double layer ruffles, try to alternate the Kona with lighter weight fabrics. Don't want to weigh V down too much.

D~
Thanks for the advice on the ruffles D! That is something I have to think about, V's cruise dress was HEAVY! V didn't seem to mind. I am planning another 3 layered ruffle for summer so That is great news thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post

I know that Erin makes some beautiful things for V and I'm sure that V loves ruffles so that is some good advice. Also some sewing machines are balky when it comes to sewing through to much fabric.

I just bought that pattern called Irelyn's Peek A Boo ruffle dress so I will have to keep that in mind when I plan out the dress I make with all those ruffles.
Thanks Diane, Guess what I bough irelyn's peek aboo dress too! I fell in love with it and then a couple days later it was on sale, meant to be. It is hopefully my next project!

I think I'm going to skip the country fabrics, I was considering them because they are 30% off right now, but the reviews weren't good either on the site so i'll skip it,
thanks

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #2988
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

I've been peeking each day, just haven't had time to stop and post. There are soooooo many adorable outfits, you all do beautiful work. Congratulations to those of you with new toys to play with!

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #2989
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Anyone willing to do Tie Dye Mickey's for Angel or Jacob's Big Gives? Both families love them!!!!

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #2990
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_for_President View Post
Thanks for thinking my daughter is cute! I had no fun making it... lol. My sewing machine is Millie... and she is a temperamental old coot, circa 1950s. I nearly broke her "trying out" a ruffler... what a mess. THAT went in the trash.

We are going at the end of April, too. We are hoping for low crowds. This is the first time we will be taking a child so small... but the boys are ready to go again... and so we can't make them wait until Viola is older.
How exciting that Viola's first trip is coming up soon. My son was one on his first trip and he had a great time. It was a very easy age because he was too young to be scared of the dark and intense rides, loved all the characters and slept in the stroller. He doesn't remember the trip but the kids love to watch the videos of our Disney trip "when Curtis had no hair". They think it is hysterical to see him waddling around Disney and trying to feed Mickey some cheese at Chef Mickey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Just wanted to Share... My friend asked me to make her daughter a Boo shirt and so I decided on a skirt as well. It came out cute! it is a monster (mike?) on the skirt. It's not a great picture I was in too much of a rush to take one (what else is new). It's the ruffled pop skirt, I love it!

Best of all Annabelle loved it.

Now my embroidery machine and I aren't getting along very well at times. It makes me nuts how it works perfectly fine one second and not the next.
I have come up with a name for it since it is so darn Tempermental! I'm calling it Temperance (or Tempy for short) Argh.

That skirt is really cute. I can see you getting alot of use out of that pattern for V. I can see why Annabelle loved it.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #2991
Courtney829
Earning My Ears

Thank you all for the welcomes. I spent the past few days skimming through the thread getting more and more inspired. I also requested to join the Big Give group even though I'm not sure what exactly I could contribute since I've done all of two projects so far. However, mito is a cause dear to my heart as I have a friend with a 4 year old son who is a mito warrior. Hoping I can find some way to contribute.

I just did my 2nd pillowcase dress today and it turned out a lot better than the first. I believe the first may have to be worn as a shirt because I flipped it sideways when sewing. Whoops.

It's also good to see some older sewing machines in the group here as I'm currently using one that I borrowed from my grandmother that is older than I am.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #2992
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

Hi all, I know this is more about sewing, but I am hoping maybe a few of you might be able to help me. I posted also in the creative designs as well.

I saw on someone's facebook/etsy site this cute charms/bead spacers/beads...and I want to create my own version of necklaces for my daughter. And if I find I like it, I might also be interested in doing them for the Big Give.

They are the various princesses, mini and mickey ears and hands. This is a sample, from her facebook page of the the type of charm/spacer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Does anyone know where to purchase something like those. I have googled, but suck at finding/using the right terms to get what I am looking for.

I appreciate any help, as some of you may have used beads in your sewing, so I thought I would give it a try.

Thanks.
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 AM   #2993
cogero
DIS Veteran

you can actually find those silver spacers in any craft store like michaels in the jewelry aisle. They come in different sizes. You can also google jewelry findings.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #2994
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Thanks for thinking my daughter is cute! I had no fun making it... lol. My sewing machine is Millie... and she is a temperamental old coot, circa 1950s. I nearly broke her "trying out" a ruffler... what a mess. THAT went in the trash.

We are going at the end of April, too. We are hoping for low crowds. This is the first time we will be taking a child so small... but the boys are ready to go again... and so we can't make them wait until Viola is older.
Bummer about the ruffler... My machines are all vintage - and I won't ever sew on anything else... If you go to youcanmakethis.com - Carla C. has an amazing FREE ruffler tutorial - so next time it might go better for you. I would love to see photos of your machine if you have the time.

I have 2... Patience is a 1958 Singer 15-91. She is my main machine.

And Mr. R. (Short for Rocket) is a 1961 Singer Rocketeer (503A)... He is my appliquer, and to say he is a finicky and tempermental man would be an understatement.

Oh and my 13 y/o dd also loves her vintage machine (however, if given the chance, she prefers to sew on Patience) - Can't remember her year, but she is a Singer 99... a 2/3 scale size machine...

So don't underestimate your vintage machine... They are the most powerful and durable machines out there - there is no machine you can buy today at any price point that will go through the layers of fabric like a vintage machine... If you are lucky enough to have a good one - hold on to it tightly and maintain it, it WILL last the rest of your life, your children's lives and probably your grandchildrens lives...

Sorry for the ramble... Can you tell that vintage machines are near and dear to my heart? LOL

Quote:
Just wanted to Share... My friend asked me to make her daughter a Boo shirt and so I decided on a skirt as well. It came out cute! it is a monster (mike?) on the skirt. It's not a great picture I was in too much of a rush to take one (what else is new). It's the ruffled pop skirt, I love it!

Now my embroidery machine and I aren't getting along very well at times. It makes me nuts how it works perfectly fine one second and not the next.
I have come up with a name for it since it is so darn Tempermental! I'm calling it Temperance (or Tempy for short) Argh.

I know I commented on FB already - but this is so cute! I bet she loves it!

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #2995
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Just dropping by with a quick

I only had time to skim back a few pages but wanted to say I saw some really neat things!

FLORA: Congrats on the new machine!!!! It looks awesome. Let's see, our RI mortgage will be paid of in a couple of weeks and our the mortgage on our house here only has two years left..... and the kids don't really need to go to college ever, do they?

I have signed up for a BG to get me back in the groove of sewing but today and tomorrow I still have a few things to tie up for our upcoming closing, but eventually I'll be a better participant here.

And I tried to get my dd to wear her Suess outfit to school this week and was told it was too babyish Well, at least she wore it a couple of times last year.

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #2996
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Oh and my 13 y/o dd also loves her vintage machine (however, if given the chance, she prefers to sew on Patience) - Can't remember her year, but she is a Singer 99... a 2/3 scale size machine...

D~
I keep forgetting to ask you, do you think your DD would be interested in sewing up a couple of lanyards for me? Would be an excuse for a TC dismeet too - ha ha. I have them sitting around the house and just keep skipping to other projects. She's been sewing lanyards for some extra cash for WDW, right? Thought I read that somewhere, and then I saw this post and it reminded me. I have all of the materials, they are cut up, etc. but not the extra time, so I thought what the heck, I should check with you to see if she would be interested! Hope this isn't violating the DIS rules...

CSR October 2013, POR October 2013
Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal circa 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #2997
SallyfromDE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post

Then, I made a towel with holiday charms for my MIL's birthday:

Hope you all have great week!
Regards,
C.
Is the towel desing yours? Or where can I get it? I'd love to make gifts of this.

Quote:
My interpretation of Cinderella's pink dress! I am actually not done with it completely, but I had to try it on Viola today to fit the back and took some photos! I am so excited for her to wear it during our April trip!!!!

]
Besides Viola beign stinking cute, I love the dress.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #2998
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My interpretation of Cinderella's pink dress! I am actually not done with it completely, but I had to try it on Viola today to fit the back and took some photos! I am so excited for her to wear it during our April trip!!!!

The dress is beautiful! I really like the picture of Viola looking at the book!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhStuffandFluff View Post
We had a fantastic trip in January this year!! Already can't wait to go back!! Thought I would share some of the outfits I completed for my DD6 and shirts for DS8. Thanks for looking!
Perry Dress
Stitch and Pikachu shirt - for my little Pokemon fan!
Rapunzel wedding dress
ariel inspired skirt set
my little pirate in his perry shirt
Octonauts outfit
cinderella tutu dress
Thanks for sharing your pictures. It looks like your family had a great time. The outfits looked fab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnanddbyz View Post

This is my new baby. Sorry for the delay in posting her picture. I had to wait for my husband and son to carry her upstairs for me. Then put her together and play a while. Below is what I used to try her out. Just a UFO I pulled out to practice quilting on. Please help me name her. My husband calls her money pit but I have nicknamed her big bertha but I dont like that. She is BIG and FAST. And truth be told she cost less then a cheap Walmart machine. I LOVE her. I just need more practice. Thanks for looking. Please post name suggestions.

Big Bertha is beautiful. I am sure you will enjoy working with her for a long time. Congrats! The quilt looks nice too. I hope you will finish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
Since the Kona cottons seemed to be a better choice, you might want to look at sew-sisters.com. They are out of Toronto. I did a quick look at pricing and their Kona's were comparable. They also have free shipping for orders over $100.

Judy
Thanks for sharing the info Judy. I may have to look into buying from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
So today I was finishing up a dress with a rolled hem and my serger thread kept breaking. It happened 4 or 5 times. I was getting really concerned that my machine was breaking and I would have to take it in to be repaired and I kept playing around with the tension, etc. Finally, it dawned on me that maybe the spool of thread was the problem. So I changed out the spool of thread and everything worked perfectly again. I was happy that I could finish the dress but I was ticked that I had to throw away an almost brand new spool of thread. Obviously there was something wrong with that thread though. Have any of you ever had that happen?
I am sorry to hear that your serger was having issues. I don't think I had problems with the thread previously. However, it is good to know that it is something I should check!

Quote:

Beautiful outfit! I can see why Annabelle loved it!

Andrea - I lost your quote but congrats on getting closer to having the house in RI sold. I am sure it is a huge burden off your back once it closes.

Thank you everyone for your congrats on getting Genie. The reason why we call him Genie is because he is DH's favourite character and he certainly creates magic! Genie can do up to 8x14 and he can stitch out a 5x7 design in about 30 minutes at 600 stitches per minute. He can go up to 1000 stitches per minute but he shakes the house too much when he is going that fast (my sewing room in on the 2nd floor). The best thing is that I can have him set up for the satin stitches and walk away (or work on my sewing machine) while he works on the satin stitches. I only come back to it when it is all done!

I haven't had much time to play with Genie lately as I lost my aunt very suddenly 3 days after getting Genie home. My parents, aunts, uncles, sister, and cousin were in town for the funeral. I am still doing quite a bit of entertaining this week so I don't have much energy to sew. Maybe next week...

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #2999
kellygirl2
Earning My Ears

Looks like you are off to a great start! I have twins too, two boys, so every project I do I end up doing two of them. For your son I suggest the bowling shirt from Carla C, which is super versatile and the instructions are very good. I hadn't made an article of clothing since Junior High and I was able to make two buzz lightyear bowling shirts last summer. Since then I think I have made that pattern at least 20+ more times. I love it. And then my husband did start making requests... I made adult bowling shirts for our Disney trip for my husband, me and our two friends who went with us, and I made a Batman one for my husband's birthday. I have pictures of most of them on my site (in the signature) I have posted them all here, so I won't bore everyone with all my two-of-a-kind shirts again

Jen[/QUOTE]

I think the bowling shirt will be my next adventure. I have seen all the adorable shirts you have made your boys and I love them.
kellygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #3000
kellygirl2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
YES! In a Simply Sweet, they have to step in. That is my only complaint about the Simply Sweet. It is the reason I hate to make it now...but when a customer requests it...I have to comply.

Nini
It seriously never crossed my mind to have her step into the dress We tried that and it went on much easier!

Kelly
kellygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: