Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #2971
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars
As Diane suspected, I got a new embroidery machine a couple of weeks ago. I decided to call him Genie. I had to wait to share the news as my first project on Genie was for a Big Give and I didn't want to spill the beans!

First, a picture of Genie:

He is the 10-needle Brother embroidery machine. I got the floor model at the local shop at a very good price, in addition, Brother had a promo on the 10-needle machine, so we are getting a $1500 rebate. The combination meant that we were able to get the 10-needle machine instead of the 6, and still saved some money! We also got the stand for free as it was broken. DH worked his magic and the stand is good as new!

The neat thing about Genie is that the stand for the thread lights up in different colours, so you know which colour is supposed to go on which spool. We thought it looked like World of Colours!

So like I said, the first project with Genie was a set of dresses for a Big Give:

I have since done a few shirts for one of my co-workers:

As many of you know, Genie is a "Mortgage free" celebration purchase. I feel very blessed to have Genie and I am super excited to be able to do more for the Gives!
Oh, Flora! How exciting! Genie looks amazing and it sounds like a great deal too! Congratulations! May you enjoy many, many years of stitching together!

LOVE those SW dresses!

Regards,
C.

Facebook: KiddleyDiveySewing

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/29-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #2972
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
As Diane suspected, I got a new embroidery machine a couple of weeks ago. I decided to call him Genie. I had to wait to share the news as my first project on Genie was for a Big Give and I didn't want to spill the beans!

I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!

For the past three years my husband has been promising me I could get a 6 needle Brother when our income tax refund came in...and each year something comes up. Since his business didn't do as well as it has in past years... our refund was about half what we normally get, so I had to decide between our annual Disney trip or the Big Bubba...so I chose the Disney trip!

While I was able to upgrade my serger and sewing machine instead...seeing your big beautiful machine makes me so jealous!

Have fun with it! I will live vicariously through you!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-05-2013, 06:10 AM   #2973
cogero
DIS Veteran

Flora I love Genie that looks like a fabulous machine.

I can't help you with the difference in fabrics because I don't buy many things from Joanns anymore only if it is an emergency and I try to stick to the designer fabrics when there. That being said Kona is generally a really nice fabric that I use for appliqués.

Not sure if they sell the same grade at Joanns as they do the smaller store I go to.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #2974
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Thanks Diane... You can bet - if I ever get the nerve up to order some knits, you will be the first person I contact - because it's mostly your stuff that's driven me there in the first place.
D~
You should definitely try some knits to make some comfy little outfits for your new nephew. Joanns has a few knits that are really cute for little boys. I saw one with firetrucks and dalmation puppies that was so adorable! With the 40% off coupons, their prices are decent.

Quote:
Excellent observation Diane. I will introduce Genie in a minute.
I knew something was up as soon as I saw those SW dresses!

Quote:

As many of you know, Genie is a "Mortgage free" celebration purchase. I feel very blessed to have Genie and I am super excited to be able to do more for the Gives!
WOW! Look at that machine! You must be having a blast playing with that! Your SW dresses were adorable and I love the t-shirts that you did for your co-worker. How wonderful that your mortgage is paid off and you can treat yourself to the machine you've been dreaming of! I can't wait to see some of the other stuff that you create with Genie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_for_President View Post
My interpretation of Cinderella's pink dress! I am actually not done with it completely, but I had to try it on Viola today to fit the back and took some photos! I am so excited for her to wear it during our April trip!!!!

Adorable! And the dress is lovely too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhStuffandFluff View Post
Perry Dress
Stitch and Pikachu shirt - for my little Pokemon fan!
Rapunzel wedding dress
ariel inspired skirt set
my little pirate in his perry shirt
Octonauts outfit
cinderella tutu dress
Glad that you had a fun time in January. Your outfits turned out great! Your family picture with Phineas and Ferb is great! Your outfits are adorable. The kids must have gotten lots of attention in those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Can you guys give me some advice on the country classic cotton solids from Joannes? Is this "broadcloth"? Are the Kona cottons better? This is for standard dresses, skirts, some appliquees etc..
Kona cottons are typically more expensive and higher quality. I have bought the Country Classics cottons before. They are decent weight but not super thick cotton fabrics. They are 100% cotton so make sure you wash them before sewing with them. They are great for dresses that will be lined or with multiple skirt layers because the layers of fabric don't end up being too thick to work with. Their Symphony Broadcloth is different because it is at least 50% polyester. Any of those choices will work well for appliques.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #2975
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
I also wanted to share the outfits that I did for Trevor's Big Give. They received these outfits last week so I can post them now that they've gotten them:

First, I'm so glad you're cold is gone. Those coughs linger forever! So sorry to hear about your Mom having to go back to the hospital and your Dad falling. Sounds like my parents. It is SO hard when your parents get to this stage. I'm right there with you!

I don't remember if I commented on your outfits on the Big Give board, but if not, I just want to say what a great job you did. I'm running out of accolades when it comes to your work. You are one talented lady!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney829 View Post
I stumbled across this thread last week and was inspired. I haven't sewn in about 15 years but just finished my first little project for my daughter! I'm hoping that one of you can help me find a fabric that I've just fallen in love with. I cannot find it for sale anywhere. It's the Thomas Kinkade Peter Pan characters and quotes on cream. I'd post a link but I'm too new to. Has anyone seen it for sale somewhere?
Sorry, no help for the fabric, but wanted to welcome you to our thread. If you get a chance, we'd love to see pictures of anything you make. So glad you've been inspired to take up sewing again. Just watch out, it is addicting!

Quote:

He is the 10-needle Brother embroidery machine. I got the floor model at the local shop at a very good price, in addition, Brother had a promo on the 10-needle machine, so we are getting a $1500 rebate. The combination meant that we were able to get the 10-needle machine instead of the 6, and still saved some money! We also got the stand for free as it was broken. DH worked his magic and the stand is good as new!

The neat thing about Genie is that the stand for the thread lights up in different colours, so you know which colour is supposed to go on which spool. We thought it looked like World of Colours!

So like I said, the first project with Genie was a set of dresses for a Big Give:

Oh WOW! That is awesome!!! I'm so happy you were able to get such a fabulous machine and at a wonderful discount/rebate! It is so exciting!! You must be so thrilled. I love the color lighting up under the thread! Those little things really speak to me. I know you'll have lots of fun making beautiful thinks with Genie. Great name, btw.

Also, those outfits for the Big Give were wonderful. And I love the t-shirts for your co-worker's daughters. You must never want to stop making things. At least that's how I would be. Congrats!

Quote:
My interpretation of Cinderella's pink dress! I am actually not done with it completely, but I had to try it on Viola today to fit the back and took some photos! I am so excited for her to wear it during our April trip!!!!

Your daughter could not be more adorable and that dress is beautiful. When in April are you going? We went at the end of April last year and had a wonderful time. The weather was perfect! Hope you have a fabulous trip!

Quote:
We had a fantastic trip in January this year!! Already can't wait to go back!! Thought I would share some of the outfits I completed for my DD6 and shirts for DS8. Thanks for looking!
Perry Dress
Stitch and Pikachu shirt - for my little Pokemon fan!
Rapunzel wedding dress
ariel inspired skirt set
my little pirate in his perry shirt
Octonauts outfit
cinderella tutu dress
So glad you had a wonderful trip. Everything you made was beautiful! I'm sure you all got lots of comments when you were there. I always try to comment when I see customs in the parks because I know how much work has gone into them. Plus, it's so neat to see them all in action. Your family is adorable!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #2976
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I haven't seen in stores recently. I had seen it at Walmart a couple of summers ago and I think at Hobby Lobby also. I'd try Etsy or Ebay to see if you can find any at a reasonable price.

Purpleears- Did you get a new embroidery machine? I saw the dresses that you sent to Trevor's sisters and your appliques look much bigger than usual.
I noticed that too. I think that makes us super sewing nerds or something! I love that machine even though I feel like I would be totally intimidated by it. At least my PE770 looks like a sewing machine so it wasn't scary.

ENABLER ALERT: Fabric.com has a $4.95/ yard sale going on now, I picked up quite a few misc prints to use in quilts and appliqués, plus you can use the thx113 discount code for 15% off. Not a bad deal for fabric I totally didn't *need* at all.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #2977
lynnanddbyz
Mouseketeer

Big Bertha

This is my new baby. Sorry for the delay in posting her picture. I had to wait for my husband and son to carry her upstairs for me. Then put her together and play a while. Below is what I used to try her out. Just a UFO I pulled out to practice quilting on. Please help me name her. My husband calls her money pit but I have nicknamed her big bertha but I dont like that. She is BIG and FAST. And truth be told she cost less then a cheap Walmart machine. I LOVE her. I just need more practice. Thanks for looking. Please post name suggestions.

Last edited by lynnanddbyz; 03-05-2013 at 11:00 AM.
lynnanddbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #2978
lynnanddbyz
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I LOVE Genie. He looks fabulous. So happy to hear he is up and running and getting a deal and mortgage free is even better. I look forward to seeing more projects that you and Genie make.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #2979
lynnanddbyz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Can you guys give me some advice on the country classic cotton solids from Joannes? Is this "broadcloth"? Are the Kona cottons better? This is for standard dresses, skirts, some appliquees etc..

I am putting together an online order and I don't have a Joannes here so I'm not as familiar with their products and fabric quality.

Thanks
Erin
Okay I am a multi quote failure. But I prefer Kona cotton. The broadcloth fabrics can be very see through while the Kona is not. I find the same with the country classics. If you are doing a lining or it would be 2 layers they would be fine, but I would go for the Kona if it is by itself.

Last edited by lynnanddbyz; 03-05-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #2980
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
But, I think we're all finally close to healthy. I didn't get as much sewing done as I'd have liked, but I finished three projects.

First is the boy version of the Baby's First Year charms. I'm still working on a girl version.

Then, I made a towel with holiday charms for my MIL's birthday:

And, finally, I made some sibling shirts for my kiddos:

They wore them for the first time today and my FIL had made BBQ ribs for Sunday dinner. Eek! Thankfully, the stains came out! This pic was before dinner.

Hope you all have great week!
Regards,
C.
Glad everyone is feeling better. I love the kids all dressed in their sibling shirts. How cute. The onesie charm shirts are so cool. What a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl2 View Post
I introduced myself a few pages back - I am Kelly and have almost 3 year old boy girl twins. Thanks for all the info and advice about the flannel and pajama pants.

You ladies have finally inspired me to sew.

I started with some bags to hold pixie dust for Trevors big give

I bought some pre-shirred fabric from Jo-Anns to attempt some little sundresses for my daughter. I still need to attach the straps permanently.

I got brave and attempted an Easter bunny Simply Sweet (still needs to be hemmed) and it is hanging very crocked on the hanger in this picture.

And because my poor son was feeling left out (girl fabrics are so fun to play with) - some lightening McQueen Easy Fits (Still waiting for the elastic to be inserted.) I promptly realized as soon as I cut them out that I had cut the pattern upside down but I dont think my son will notice

Thank you ladies for all the inspiration - I never would have gotten started if it wasnt for all of your beautiful creations. I have had so much fun doing it and my kids are so excited to see what mommy made. I am afraid my hubby is going to start making requests too!

Kelly
WOW! Great job getting all these projects done. Like others have said, you are not the first one to make the "upside" down pants but they are wearer-freindly.

Quote:
I also wanted to share the outfits that I did for Trevor's Big Give. They received these outfits last week so I can post them now that they've gotten them:

Cute, cute, cute.

Quote:

Diane is a sleuth! Congrats on getting the new machine. I left this picture big because it deserves to be shown off. How awesome that you paid off your mortgage and you got to reward yourself too. Genie is beautiful and I love the light up thread stands. What a great deal on being able to get the 10-needle. What sizes can you make with that machine? And tell us how long it takes to make a shirt so we can all be jealous.
The dresses are super cute too.

Quote:

Oh my, how cute. You did a great job on the dress and your DD is adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqgreene View Post
Can you tell me where you got the wonderful princess appliqué patterns? If you created them they ate absolutely adorable!
They came from http://lynniepinnie.com/shop/index.php She will sometimes run sales so be sure to sign up for her newsletter. They stitched out very nicely too.

Quote:
We had a fantastic trip in January this year!! Already can't wait to go back!! Thought I would share some of the outfits I completed for my DD6 and shirts for DS8. Thanks for looking!
Perry Dress
So many wonderful creations. Did you make those princess dresses? They are beautiful. Glad you had a great time on your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!

For the past three years my husband has been promising me I could get a 6 needle Brother when our income tax refund came in...and each year something comes up. Since his business didn't do as well as it has in past years... our refund was about half what we normally get, so I had to decide between our annual Disney trip or the Big Bubba...so I chose the Disney trip!

While I was able to upgrade my serger and sewing machine instead...seeing your big beautiful machine makes me so jealous!

Nini
A Disney trip is a great choice but it is a bummer that you can't get that big machine. I know you would put it to great use. What kind of new sewing machine did you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnanddbyz View Post

This is my new baby. Sorry for the delay in posting her picture. I had to wait for my husband and son to carry her upstairs for me. Then put her together and play a while. Below is what I used to try her out. Just a UFO I pulled out to practice quilting on. Please help me name her. My husband calls her money pit but I have nicknamed her big bertha but I dont like that. She is BIG and FAST. And truth be told she cost less then a cheap Walmart machine. I LOVE her. I just need more practice. Thanks for looking. Please post name suggestions.
What a great machine. You can tell it will last a long time and you are already putting it to good use. I am not good at naming machines but I hope someone else comes up with something good. The quilts look really nice.

Last edited by babynala; 03-05-2013 at 01:43 PM.
babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #2981
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I am putting together an online order and I don't have a Joannes here so I'm not as familiar with their products and fabric quality.

Thanks
Erin
Since the Kona cottons seemed to be a better choice, you might want to look at sew-sisters.com. They are out of Toronto. I did a quick look at pricing and their Kona's were comparable. They also have free shipping for orders over $100.

Judy

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:01 PM   #2982
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:

THe outfits you made for the give are fantastic! Now, I just have to say that Genie is AWESOME!!! You totally earned him in every way possible - I am sure that many sacrafices were made to pay off your mortgage early, and this splurge it totally deserved in every way. I am so very proud of you and DH!!! WTG Flora!!!

Quote:

This is so precious and so is your dd.

Quote:
Sorry to take out so many of your pictures, I just don't have the time today to resize. I loved everything... it's all so cute!

Quote:

Thanks
Erin
Erin - I use Kona for most of my bags and appliques. However - Kona is a tight weave heavy cotton... so along with being durable - I've found that if you are using it to make lots of ruffles or a dress that has a lining under it... The ruffles get really heavy, and a dress with lining gets pretty thick too... So, try to use like a broadcloth for the lining portion if your are using Kona for the other parts... Or if you double layer ruffles, try to alternate the Kona with lighter weight fabrics. Don't want to weigh V down too much.

Quote:

Totally AWESOME!!! Hmmm... Names... YOu could call her BB for short? I kind of like Bertha to be honest... It kind of fits her.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #2983
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
First, I'm so glad you're cold is gone. Those coughs linger forever! So sorry to hear about your Mom having to go back to the hospital and your Dad falling. Sounds like my parents. It is SO hard when your parents get to this stage. I'm right there with you!
My parents were pretty healthy right up until about 4 years ago. The last few years, one or the other of them has alternated between being sick or in the hospital. It is definitely hard at this stage. They are still independent but they also have a lot of needs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I noticed that too. I think that makes us super sewing nerds or something! I love that machine even though I feel like I would be totally intimidated by it. At least my PE770 looks like a sewing machine so it wasn't scary.
I guess we are super sewing nerds. I am so excited for Flora and she certainly has earned that huge prize. Isn't great that her mortgage is all paid off!

Quote:

This is my new baby. Sorry for the delay in posting her picture. I had to wait for my husband and son to carry her upstairs for me. T

I think that Big Bertha is a perfect name for your new (well old) friend. It is a name from the right generation! If you don't like that name, another name from that generation would be perfect too. I think I'm the only one on here that hasn't named my machines so I doubt that I am very much help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post

Nini
I will also have to live vicariously through Flora's new prize. It will be lots of fun to see what she makes with it. Her first outfits were beautiful. I will be anxiously awaiting pictures of your new serger and sewing machines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Erin - I use Kona for most of my bags and appliques. However - Kona is a tight weave heavy cotton... so along with being durable - I've found that if you are using it to make lots of ruffles or a dress that has a lining under it... The ruffles get really heavy, and a dress with lining gets pretty thick too... So, try to use like a broadcloth for the lining portion if your are using Kona for the other parts... Or if you double layer ruffles, try to alternate the Kona with lighter weight fabrics. Don't want to weigh V down too much.
D~
I know that Erin makes some beautiful things for V and I'm sure that V loves ruffles so that is some good advice. Also some sewing machines are balky when it comes to sewing through to much fabric.

I just bought that pattern called Irelyn's Peek A Boo ruffle dress so I will have to keep that in mind when I plan out the dress I make with all those ruffles.

So today I was finishing up a dress with a rolled hem and my serger thread kept breaking. It happened 4 or 5 times. I was getting really concerned that my machine was breaking and I would have to take it in to be repaired and I kept playing around with the tension, etc. Finally, it dawned on me that maybe the spool of thread was the problem. So I changed out the spool of thread and everything worked perfectly again. I was happy that I could finish the dress but I was ticked that I had to throw away an almost brand new spool of thread. Obviously there was something wrong with that thread though. Have any of you ever had that happen?

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #2984
Mickey_for_President
My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.

Thanks for thinking my daughter is cute! I had no fun making it... lol. My sewing machine is Millie... and she is a temperamental old coot, circa 1950s. I nearly broke her "trying out" a ruffler... what a mess. THAT went in the trash.

We are going at the end of April, too. We are hoping for low crowds. This is the first time we will be taking a child so small... but the boys are ready to go again... and so we can't make them wait until Viola is older.
(8/11) May - June 2009: A-S Spo (Adults Only!)... (9/11) May 2010: Pop (Adults Only!)... (10/11)
Dec '12 - Jan '13: PO:FQ... (Adults Only!) (11/11) April 2013: Animal Kingdom Lodge
Mickey_for_President is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #2985
nannye
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to Share... My friend asked me to make her daughter a Boo shirt and so I decided on a skirt as well. It came out cute! it is a monster (mike?) on the skirt. It's not a great picture I was in too much of a rush to take one (what else is new). It's the ruffled pop skirt, I love it!

Best of all Annabelle loved it.

Now my embroidery machine and I aren't getting along very well at times. It makes me nuts how it works perfectly fine one second and not the next.
I have come up with a name for it since it is so darn Tempermental! I'm calling it Temperance (or Tempy for short) Argh.

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: