Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #2941
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnanddbyz View Post
Last night on Craigslist was a very heavy duty machine at a steal of a price. Really to good to be true. So mom and I went to check it out. I came home with a new baby. More then I could have dreamed and stronger than I ever thought I could afford. I really think God was watching over me. Things have been very stressful lately and sewing is my stress release. I will post pictures once she is assembled yes she is that big. I just need a name for her now. Thank you ladies I knew you would understand my broken heart and now new joy.
Hooray for Craigslist. I just love Craigslist! I can't wait to see a picture of your new baby!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
I am finally getting around to posting some pictures of the things I made for my nice and nephew's first trip to Disney world last month. Sorry for the huge pictures:

back:

Everything you made turned out terrific. The Viking shirt is really cute. But these two are my favorites! And don't apologize for your pictures being big. It is great for my old eyes! I can actually see the great stuff you made.

Here are a few casual dresses that I finished up this week. I worked on them in between other projects that I am trying to complete so they've been half done for a couple of weeks. Only one is Disney.

I need to go back to Joanns and buy another roll of the bee ribbon. I ran out before I could put a band of it on the middle tier.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #2942
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
: sad:
My machine offically died this morning. It has been coming for quite a while. It was an old singer with metal gears. I had worn the gears down and had to baby her along for the last 2 years. Well today her motor gave out. Will cost way to much to replace the gears, that is why I have been babying her.

I had a Brother from Walmart as a spare. We moved last July and I have not used it since way before we moved. It is toast too. I think the move must have shook it around too much. It will only make bird's nests. (It was pretty bad before the move horrible machine NEVER buy a machine from Walmart). It is useless now. I feel lost. Knew you guys would understand. It feels like I have lost a close friend. And NOOOO sewing until I can save the money and figure out what I want to replace her.
Quote:
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I had my machine for more than 12 years. It is a sad loss for sure. I have known for the last 2 years the gears were gone. I have taken it easy with her and babied her along. I could not decide between a machine with all the bells and whistles or a heavy duty straight stitch only machine. I wobble back and forth. I scour craigslist and yardsales and goodwill for the last 2 years. Never satisfied with what I found.

Last night on Craigslist was a very heavy duty machine at a steal of a price. Really to good to be true. So mom and I went to check it out. I came home with a new baby. More then I could have dreamed and stronger than I ever thought I could afford. I really think God was watching over me. Things have been very stressful lately and sewing is my stress release. I will post pictures once she is assembled yes she is that big. I just need a name for her now. Thank you ladies I knew you would understand my broken heart and now new joy.
Here I was all ready to sympathize and you found a new baby!! Yay! Sounds like you got a wonderful machine. I agree you need to show us pictures and name her. Or him. And we absolutely understand your broken heart. You know us so well! Congrats and have fun learning all the ins and outs of your new baby.

Quote:
I am finally getting around to posting some pictures of the things I made for my nice and nephew's first trip to Disney world last month. Sorry for the huge pictures:

The dress I made for Kate to wear to our princess breakfast in Norway. This is very similar to one that post a few weeks ago. My niece loved twirling in this dress. She enjoyed showing all the princesses that they were on her dress and Aurora wished she had a dress with all of her friends on it too.
front:

back:

My nephew is a huge sports fan and is a major Minnesota Viking's fan which is kind of odd because he was born in Colorado, my brother is a Giant's fan and he currently lives in NC. For Christmas he got a jersey, PJ pants, football and a Viking helmet - like they sell in Epcot, not a football helmet. Purple is his favorite color so that might have something to do with it. I could not figure out what I was going to make him for our Epcot day and then I remembered I had this mickey head and found a purple t-shirt at Hobby Lobby. I think this was his favorite shirt of the week.

They wore these to Chef Mickey and our last day at MK. My nephew's t-shirt was actually a recycle. I made this for my son for one of our trips before I got my embroidery machine. I'm glad he was able to use it but boy I was not good at hand applique:

These were supposed to be for our second day at Epcot and dinner at Coral Reef but we ended up going to AK instead. They still worked for the Animal theme but I would have rather done a cute animal print theme.

I have a few more things to share but need to head out. Hope everyone has a great day.
Those are all wonderful! I do think the Nemo totally works for AK as well. You did a fantastic job on everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Here are a few casual dresses that I finished up this week. I worked on them in between other projects that I am trying to complete so they've been half done for a couple of weeks. Only one is Disney.

I need to go back to Joanns and buy another roll of the bee ribbon. I ran out before I could put a band of it on the middle tier.
They are all so cute! As always, terrific job on everything. Love the little bee!!

My Mom put off having her hip replaced also, and by the time she had it done, she was hobbling around and it was painful to watch her. I'm so glad your Mom is getting rehab. Your poor Dad can rest easier now. That's quite a burden to care for someone fresh from such major surgery. Is your cold any better?
Register to remove

Old 03-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #2943
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you everyone for the kind words. I had my machine for more than 12 years. It is a sad loss for sure. I have known for the last 2 years the gears were gone. I have taken it easy with her and babied her along. I could not decide between a machine with all the bells and whistles or a heavy duty straight stitch only machine. I wobble back and forth. I scour craigslist and yardsales and goodwill for the last 2 years. Never satisfied with what I found.

I'm sorry to hear that your machine quit but I'm glad that you were able to get another. I agree that God always knows what we need and when we need it.

Quote:

The dress I made for Kate to wear to our princess breakfast in Norway. This is very similar to one that post a few weeks ago. My niece loved twirling in this dress. She enjoyed showing all the princesses that they were on her dress and Aurora wished she had a dress with all of her friends on it too.
front:

back:

My nephew is a huge sports fan and is a major Minnesota Viking's fan which is kind of odd because he was born in Colorado, my brother is a Giant's fan and he currently lives in NC. For Christmas he got a jersey, PJ pants, football and a Viking helmet - like they sell in Epcot, not a football helmet. Purple is his favorite color so that might have something to do with it. I could not figure out what I was going to make him for our Epcot day and then I remembered I had this mickey head and found a purple t-shirt at Hobby Lobby. I think this was his favorite shirt of the week.

They wore these to Chef Mickey and our last day at MK. My nephew's t-shirt was actually a recycle. I made this for my son for one of our trips before I got my embroidery machine. I'm glad he was able to use it but boy I was not good at hand applique:

These were supposed to be for our second day at Epcot and dinner at Coral Reef but we ended up going to AK instead. They still worked for the Animal theme but I would have rather done a cute animal print theme.

I have a few more things to share but need to head out. Hope everyone has a great day.
Those are great outfits, I really like the princess dress.

Quote:
Hooray for Craigslist. I just love Craigslist! I can't wait to see a picture of your new baby!!!

Everything you made turned out terrific. The Viking shirt is really cute. But these two are my favorites! And don't apologize for your pictures being big. It is great for my old eyes! I can actually see the great stuff you made.

Those are really cute dresses!

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #2944
cogero
DIS Veteran

Diane I love the Tink Dress and applique is that one of yours.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #2945
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
My Mom put off having her hip replaced also, and by the time she had it done, she was hobbling around and it was painful to watch her. I'm so glad your Mom is getting rehab. Your poor Dad can rest easier now. That's quite a burden to care for someone fresh from such major surgery. Is your cold any better?
My cold is mostly better. I was able to go and visit my mom yesterday. I was glad to get to see her. They think she will be at rehab for either a week or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Diane I love the Tink Dress and applique is that one of yours.
Thanks Chiara! The Tink dress is the Hopscotch dress from Ellie Inspired. The applique is one of a set that I bought off of ebay years ago. I wasn't sure that they would work well because some of the designs you buy on there are not great. But this set stitches out very nicely. I wish I could remember who I bought it from!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #2946
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Great job on the dresses Diane. I really like the Bee dress!

Quote:
My cold is mostly better. I was able to go and visit my mom yesterday. I was glad to get to see her. They think she will be at rehab for either a week or two.
I am glad that you are feeling better and you were able to visit your mom. I hope she will make lots of progress in rehab.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #2947
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:

I love everything, I just wish I could find a good place to buy knit fabric - I am dying to try something fun with it.

The dress will be adorable with the other layer of ribbon on it.

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #2948
Just*the*ten*of*us
Mouseketeer

Quote:
wonderful!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #2949
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone!!

Cant talk about this here, but we are doing a big give for one of the daughters of one of us right here on the DISboutiquers thread, Angelsmomma!!!! Her daughter Angel is 15 and going on a MAW cruise and trip!! She loves all things disney and giraffes!! Come on over and sign up!!! We can chat about it on the big give boards so we dont give away any surprises!!!! Thanks!!!

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi

And if you haven't joined the big give yet, please come and join us, its so much fun to send pixie dust to the wonderful families going on Make A Wish trips to Disney!!!!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #2950
bear_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:

front:

back:

Which skirt pattern is this. I think my older dd would like it better than the Carla C twirl skirt that I have made the last few years.

Is it as easy?/

Thanks,
Emily
bear_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #2951
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:

These dresses are so cute. They look so comfy too. The Bee dress is perfect and I love the Tink one.

I hope your mom is improving. She will probably rehab faster in a facility because she won't "have" to do anything. I'm sure if she was at home she would be doing too much.

Here is the tutorial I used for the skirts. I'm not sure what happened to to the pictures but it is a VERY simple tutorial and goes together very quickly.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...postcount=1429

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #2952
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Catching up from the last two weeks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post

Jen
All the Big Give outfits are very cute! I love these dresses!

Quote:
This will be our first time staying at a value resort when we go in June. I'm curious about whether we will enjoy it or not. Since we are going in the summer (HOT!!!!) I am pretty sure we will need a shower at least one time while we are there!

Here is a dress that I finished up today:
A little late to the discussion, but we've stayed at All Star Movies several times. In some ways it feels more like being at Disney than other resorts. I mean larger than life Buzz and so many other movie icons - magical! Art of Animation seems like it would have a very similar vibe. That said, of the three resorts we've stayed at so far, my current favorite is Coronado Springs. We haven't stayed in a deluxe yet, but hopefully next year!

Love the Ariel dress and all the cute knit dresses you made!

I'm glad you were finally able to see your mother! I hope she will continue to heal and get home soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomtas View Post
I just wanted to say hello, I've been lurking for a while! I have decided to bring out the sewing machine left to me by my grandma and give sewing a try. I haven't tried sewing since high school (and managed to break a sewing machine ). All of the items everyone has posted have been so beautiful!!! I really want to make some pretty dresses, my youngest girl is my "princess" and loves frilly dresses . I may be posting tons of questions soon as I am a total newbie . Best wishes to everyone
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
So, I told you a while back about my new Elligante 3 Babylock machine. I've had one class on it and I have not been able to sew anything or play with it due to first my Mom going into the hospital and this week, my Dad was there. Then, DH and I both got sick, so I haven't had time or felt like getting down there. I'm hoping I feel well enough tomorrow to get down to my sewing room. I have a strip-work skirt cut out and ready to go, so that will be my first project. I love my new machine, though. It has a feature that when you embroider, you don't have to hoop your fabric. It actually bastes around the edges of your project to secure it. I love the color screen and how easy it is to change from embroidery to sewing also. I don't have to take the embroidery arm off, just move a switch. It will sew in all directions too. Okay, sorry to keep going on and on. I have four more classes to take, two for embroidery and two for sewing. I'll be sure to post whatever I make...and probably a picture of my machine too.
I hope things have calmed down enough that you're getting to enjoy your new baby!

I think it's Heather that has a free file that will baste around the outer edge of a hoop for anyone whose machine doesn't have that feature. I've got the file but never tried it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I just wanted to share this quick project I whipped up today, in case any of you might have pirate-crazy kids (Or these might be fun pixie dust for big gives...)

Anyway, fun easy project which I think my kids are going to love.
Jen
My boys would love that! We have a parchment-ish map that dh drew for them but it's seen better days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
I haven't shared in a while since I haven't been sewing but now that the bus strike is over I have more time. This is what I did this week, the PJs are for Miss C and the rest was for an order and are on their way to Disney right now.

and Duffy (this is very similar to the one I made Miss C back last summer)

Need to get busy today with things that need to get done.
Lots of cuteness, Chiara! Love all your skirts sets! You always have such fun fabrics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post
I have been working on teaching myself crochet. I have lots of downtime at work so I've been getting lots of practice. Here is my first hat and scarf I made. Just ignore the horrible self mirror picture, I had just come inside from shoveling snow.. I am working on another hat and scarf set and might make matching mittens for both sets too. I also started working on an afghan for my cousin's wedding gift this summer. I had originailly wanted to do a quilt but wasn't sure I would have the time so why not crochet while I'm working

Glad to hear your're enjoying your new job! Your crocheting turned out great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
Hello, thought I would drop by and post the latest. I haven't posted in awhile, but have really been enjoying all the beautiful stuff that has been posted. We had a week off work this week and I have made a couple of easy strip quilts for some friends who just had babies. The only thing disney about the first one is the applique font, but I thought it was cute and would share anyway...

this isn't disney either, but the older brother who is not yet 2 enjoyed his baby sisters so much, I had to make him his own, so here is his...

Back to work tomorrow but, I will try harder to stay up with this thread.
What a cute idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharper1496 View Post

We have progress on Sofia! I still need to do all the detailing and trim but the base is done. I tried it on her this morning and it's slightly big but not horribly so. At the rate she's growing it'll fit in about 3 weeks. I'm glad I decided to just do it, I read this morning that the Disney Store doesn't expect them back in stock until Halloween
Wow! That looks very accurate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Andrea - you dont know how excited I was to read about your house!!! it has been a long haul for you guys, and you have been so patient with it all!! YAY!!!!!

Everyone - the concussion is giving me migranes that cause vertigo and dull headaches. They started me on a medication last Thursday, and I havent seen much of a difference yet. I know this will all blow over soon!! Im also having some blurred/double vision, but its not constant - not sure what to do about that one!!!
I hope you're getting better, Wendy! What a scary thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingMomof6 View Post
We had a chance to go see the Broadway version of Beauty and the Beast last Sunday. Here is the outfit I made for Alexa. I didn't think I would be able to get it done because my embroidery machine decided to quit working. Luckily, my local sewing machine repairman was able to fix it.

I've made a couple of these skirts before and I forget how many hours of my life I have to give up for it, lol. She loved it and felt like a princess so it was worth it!
The dresses for your nieces are adorable, but Alexa's is TDF! So many embroideries! I love the added ruffle to the shirt! Great idea!

Quote:

I'm sorry your machine died, but very happy you found such a nice machine to follow her! Any name or pics yet?

Quote:
front:

Everything from the trip was cute, but I just love this dress!

We've had some form of cold or another around here for the last three weeks. I finally had to admit defeat and go to the doctor since my colds always turn into sinus infections. But, I think we're all finally close to healthy. I didn't get as much sewing done as I'd have liked, but I finished three projects.

First is the boy version of the Baby's First Year charms. I'm still working on a girl version.

Then, I made a towel with holiday charms for my MIL's birthday:

And, finally, I made some sibling shirts for my kiddos:

They wore them for the first time today and my FIL had made BBQ ribs for Sunday dinner. Eek! Thankfully, the stains came out! This pic was before dinner.

Hope you all have great week!
Regards,
C.

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #2953
kellygirl2
Earning My Ears

I introduced myself a few pages back - I am Kelly and have almost 3 year old boy girl twins. Thanks for all the info and advice about the flannel and pajama pants.

You ladies have finally inspired me to sew.

I started with some bags to hold pixie dust for Trevors big give

I bought some pre-shirred fabric from Jo-Anns to attempt some little sundresses for my daughter. I still need to attach the straps permanently.

I got brave and attempted an Easter bunny Simply Sweet (still needs to be hemmed) and it is hanging very crocked on the hanger in this picture.

And because my poor son was feeling left out (girl fabrics are so fun to play with) - some lightening McQueen Easy Fits (Still waiting for the elastic to be inserted.) I promptly realized as soon as I cut them out that I had cut the pattern upside down but I dont think my son will notice

Thank you ladies for all the inspiration - I never would have gotten started if it wasnt for all of your beautiful creations. I have had so much fun doing it and my kids are so excited to see what mommy made. I am afraid my hubby is going to start making requests too!

Kelly

Last edited by kellygirl2; 03-03-2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: add info
kellygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM   #2954
kellygirl2
Earning My Ears

Question
I made the simply sweet based on my daughters measurements in a Size 2. It fits her great in the bodice but is really hard to get it over her head and arms in and out. I am afraid if I go up a size it will be too big in the bodice but would be a lot easier to get on and off. Is it common for this dress to be hard to get on and off since there is no zipper or elastic or do I need to go up a size nest time?

Thanks for your thoughts
Kelly

Kelly
kellygirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #2955
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
I hope things have calmed down enough that you're getting to enjoy your new baby!

I think it's Heather that has a free file that will baste around the outer edge of a hoop for anyone whose machine doesn't have that feature. I've got the file but never tried it out.

We've had some form of cold or another around here for the last three weeks. I finally had to admit defeat and go to the doctor since my colds always turn into sinus infections. But, I think we're all finally close to healthy. I didn't get as much sewing done as I'd have liked, but I finished three projects.

First is the boy version of the Baby's First Year charms. I'm still working on a girl version.

Then, I made a towel with holiday charms for my MIL's birthday:

And, finally, I made some sibling shirts for my kiddos:

They wore them for the first time today and my FIL had made BBQ ribs for Sunday dinner. Eek! Thankfully, the stains came out! This pic was before dinner.

Hope you all have great week!
Regards,
C.
Yes, I did get to play around with my new machine. But not as much as I had hoped to. Nothing to show for it since I just fiddled with this and that to familiarize myself. Hope to get down there today in fact to finish up the skirt I was working on. Tonight is my first embroidery class and I'm excited!

I'm glad you're feeling better. Seems as though everyone has been sick and it has lingered forever! Not fun!

I've never seen anything like the charms you made. What a great idea! You did a fabulous job on everything! I love the shirts on your kiddos, who are absolutely adorable by the way! Glad the BBQ sauce came out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl2 View Post
I introduced myself a few pages back - I am Kelly and have almost 3 year old boy girl twins. Thanks for all the info and advice about the flannel and pajama pants.

You ladies have finally inspired me to sew.

I started with some bags to hold pixie dust for Trevors big give

I bought some pre-shirred fabric from Jo-Anns to attempt some little sundresses for my daughter. I still need to attach the straps permanently.

I got brave and attempted an Easter bunny Simply Sweet (still needs to be hemmed) and it is hanging very crocked on the hanger in this picture.

And because my poor son was feeling left out (girl fabrics are so fun to play with) - some lightening McQueen Easy Fits (Still waiting for the elastic to be inserted.) I promptly realized as soon as I cut them out that I had cut the pattern upside down but I dont think my son will notice

Thank you ladies for all the inspiration - I never would have gotten started if it wasnt for all of your beautiful creations. I have had so much fun doing it and my kids are so excited to see what mommy made. I am afraid my hubby is going to start making requests too!

Kelly
First of all, let me say how great it is that you jumped right into a Big Give!! The bags are great and I know the kids will love them as well as what is inside!

It's a good idea to start off with pre-shirred fabric until you gain a bit of confidence. The bunny dress looks really cute, though, so looks like you caught on quickly! Your son's easy fits look great. He'll just think you made it so he can look at Lightning McQueen right side up. We've all done that a time or two. At least they are going the SAME direction!! Great job on everything! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellygirl2 View Post
Question
I made the simply sweet based on my daughters measurements in a Size 2. It fits her great in the bodice but is really hard to get it over her head and arms in and out. I am afraid if I go up a size it will be too big in the bodice but would be a lot easier to get on and off. Is it common for this dress to be hard to get on and off since there is no zipper or elastic or do I need to go up a size nest time?

Thanks for your thoughts
Kelly

Kelly
I've never made the simply sweet, so can't help you there. I'm sure many on here will be along to answer your question, though. Keep up the good work!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: