Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #2911
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Andrea - you dont know how excited I was to read about your house!!! it has been a long haul for you guys, and you have been so patient with it all!! YAY!!!!!

Everyone - the concussion is giving me migranes that cause vertigo and dull headaches. They started me on a medication last Thursday, and I havent seen much of a difference yet. I know this will all blow over soon!! Im also having some blurred/double vision, but its not constant - not sure what to do about that one!!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #2912
billwendy
DIS Veteran

A new big give!!!! Its up and ready for you all to come over and show Jacob and Tyler how special they are. This is their first family vacation ever! Jacob has mitochondrial disease, and his family was blown away when they got the diagnosis, and also told that he may only live 10-20 more years!!! So sad! They deserve to have a magical, wonderful, memory packed trip!!! Please come and help us send them off on an amazing journey!!!

Here is a link to the big give site!
http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #2913
Chasingmarcus
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rharper1496 View Post
/
Fabulous! My daughter is a Sophie and she would think it was too fun to have her dress. She did not like the movie though...go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Have you decided which machine you'll get? Still thinking the Brother 700? I just got a new machine, but it's a combo since I don't have room for an embroidery machine, sewing machine and my serger. It would be nice to be able to sew while things are stitching out, but I'm just happy to have such a nice machine! Good luck with purchasing your machine. I know you'll love it!
Yes, I am leaning towards the 700. I am a bit nervous, but I know I will enjoy it when I force my self to use it. I have a sewing machine that I love, (Janome 6500 and a platinum for travel) and a brother serger...which now that I have gotten over my fear of serging has been wonderful! My current embroidery machine still works well, but I would need a new reader/card, and at that price I think I should just get a new machine, with an easier way to transfer designs and a bigger embroidery area.

Thank you so much for the advice on patterns and where to find the doll shirts. I checked out each of the sites and made a few orders. The only other one I found was from a website called Blanks Boutique. It is a cute shirt, but I don't know about the quality as I have never ordered from them before. They are just in the pre-order stage though I think.

Too bad I actually have to work today and can not just sew for fun!
Chasingmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #2914
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomtas View Post
Right now I am still waiting to get my machine from my grandpa (it is in my grandma's sewing room, which he hasn't touched much since she passed). I called him recently thinking he could tell me the type of machine but that was a no go. He said he never did understand those silly things, LOL . Right now if Mother Nature cooperates we will be heading up to visit him and get my machine on the 9th. All of the items look great, I especially love the under the sea quilt!!!! Precious! Now off to corral the kiddos, we have a snow storm again so all 6 kids will be home today .
Let me add my welcome as well. You'll find lots of great information and support here. I think it's exciting to "discover" what machine you'll get. There are several on this site who have vintage machines and love them to death. Whatever it is, it will get you started and hopefully open up a whole new world of sewing for you. Be sure to keep us posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Andrea - you dont know how excited I was to read about your house!!! it has been a long haul for you guys, and you have been so patient with it all!! YAY!!!!!

Everyone - the concussion is giving me migranes that cause vertigo and dull headaches. They started me on a medication last Thursday, and I havent seen much of a difference yet. I know this will all blow over soon!! Im also having some blurred/double vision, but its not constant - not sure what to do about that one!!!
Oh no! That does not sound good at all. I'm so sorry you are still having so many problems. I hope the medication begins to help and that your blurred vision goes away. We need you healthy and happy!! Prayer coming your way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingmarcus View Post
Yes, I am leaning towards the 700. I am a bit nervous, but I know I will enjoy it when I force my self to use it. I have a sewing machine that I love, (Janome 6500 and a platinum for travel) and a brother serger...which now that I have gotten over my fear of serging has been wonderful! My current embroidery machine still works well, but I would need a new reader/card, and at that price I think I should just get a new machine, with an easier way to transfer designs and a bigger embroidery area.

Too bad I actually have to work today and can not just sew for fun!
That's exactly why I got my new machine. Mine was a good one, but 12 years old and there just wasn't a good way to download new designs for embroidery. Of course the new machine will be amazing, but being nervous is totally understandable. Lots of us feel that way. I had my serger for a month before I even took it out of the box!

I've always said working for a living cuts way into my real life!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #2915
WyomingMomof6
Mouseketeer

I am way behind again and as usual there is way too much to quote!

Andrea, great news about the house! I know you've been waiting a long time for this!

Here are a couple of princess dresses I did for my nieces.

I don't think she hated the dress, she had just woke up from a nap!

Here is a close-up of the apron. I love this design.

We had a chance to go see the Broadway version of Beauty and the Beast last Sunday. Here is the outfit I made for Alexa. I didn't think I would be able to get it done because my embroidery machine decided to quit working. Luckily, my local sewing machine repairman was able to fix it.

I've made a couple of these skirts before and I forget how many hours of my life I have to give up for it, lol. She loved it and felt like a princess so it was worth it!

Etsy Store- AlexaBrookeFashions
WyomingMomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #2916
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
Actually DH is way more picky on names than I am and he came up with the middle name for this one which I am shocked at. Guess he really does like my mom.

Oh want to know the name my MIL wants for this one Annette. what are we in 1950.
Ah, but it is classic Disney. Imagine the glory of the "Annette" ears.

Quote:

We have progress on Sofia! I still need to do all the detailing and trim but the base is done. I tried it on her this morning and it's slightly big but not horribly so. At the rate she's growing it'll fit in about 3 weeks. I'm glad I decided to just do it, I read this morning that the Disney Store doesn't expect them back in stock until Halloween
This is just beautiful. I literally gasped when I saw it. But I'm part magpie, and like my shiny things.

Quote:

Some migraine meds are the type that build up, but when I was on them I felt a difference almost immediately. Prayers for your continued improvement.

I am going to do something drastic to my computer if it doesn't stop taking forever to upload photos. I've got pictures of no-Disney related lounge pants I made for my husband and Disney related goodies he's made for me, but I can't get them to load.

I'd also like to help with a big give, but that "pro-boards" thing makes me hesitate. I'm no where near professional level and want to make these special kids something wonderful.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #2917
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Diane, I think I lost my quote of yours. I didn't know your mother had surgery. I am hoping it was for something minor and that she is recovering well.
She had hip replacement yesterday. I haven't seen her yet because I still have this darn cold! I think I am close to being better but I really don't want to pass any germs along to her while she is recovering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babynala View Post
I am a planner but didn't have a name picked out for either of my kids until we were at the hospital. We spent the early hours of labor looking through the baby naming book.

My machines are in the shop so I was hoping to be like Diane and get a whole bunch of things cut out and ready to sew but it is not happening. Oh well.
That's funny about how you waited to pick out the names. I am a planner too. I'm sure that Andrea won't be very surprised to know that I had my names picked out before my 5th month both times. And I had the nursery ready about 3 months early when my first was born. It was a good thing too since she was 5 weeks ahead of schedule. Since we are Jewish, our tradition is to name our children after a deceased relative. My older daughter was name for my grandfather and grandmother. My younger daughter was named for my uncle and my husbands great aunt.

I hope you get some stuff cut out. I find it much easier to cut a bunch of items out and then sew. Especially since I dislike the cutting and pinning compared to the planning, embroidering and sewing.

Quote:

We have progress on Sofia! I still need to do all the detailing and trim but the base is done. I tried it on her this morning and it's slightly big but not horribly so. At the rate she's growing it'll fit in about 3 weeks. I'm glad I decided to just do it, I read this morning that the Disney Store doesn't expect them back in stock until Halloween
Very cute! It is great that you can make the dress and don't have to wait for the Disney store.

Quote:
Actually DH is way more picky on names than I am and he came up with the middle name for this one which I am shocked at. Guess he really does like my mom.

Oh want to know the name my MIL wants for this one Annette. what are we in 1950.
Glad that your DH likes your mom enough to want to name the baby for her. I know what you mean about MIL suggesting names. My MIL really, really, really wanted me to name my younger daughter Maiya, which is definitely not a name that I would have picked. I finally told her that she got to name her children and that DH and I would be picking names for ours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Diane: So glad your Mom got through her surgery ok, but sorry to hear you're still fighting that upper respiratory thing. I'm feeling much better, almost back to normal except the lingering cough. Anyway, hope your Mom recovers quickly. Will she be having rehab? My mom had both her hips replaced about 10 years apart and had rehab for one but not the other. It was a long healing process for her both times, but she tends to be a slow healer. Hope that's not the case for your Mom.
My cold is almost gone. Finally! I do still have the lingering cough though. My mom is also a slow healer. They told her to expect to be sent home after 2 days in the hospital but my dad is still hoping that they will send her to rehab. If she goes home, they have the name of a home healthcare nurse who can come to stay with them for the first week after she gets home.

Quote:

dianemom2-I love the Ariel dress! I am in awe at how you ladies match up fabrics and they look awesome. I see fabric at the store and wonder how on earth I make them work together!
Here is a little hint to matching up fabrics. Many of the fabrics have a little row of squares along the border. Those squares are the colors that were used in the fabric. If you can match up those squares pretty closely, most of the times the fabrics will look good together. Also, there are lots of lines of fabric that make mix and match items.

Quote:
A new big give!!!! Its up and ready for you all to come over and show Jacob and Tyler how special they are. This is their first family vacation ever! Jacob has mitochondrial disease, and his family was blown away when they got the diagnosis, and also told that he may only live 10-20 more years!!! So sad! They deserve to have a magical, wonderful, memory packed trip!!! Please come and help us send them off on an amazing journey!!!
I just signed up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingMomof6 View Post

The dresses for your nieces are adorable! I love how you did the little apron with the wording on it. Some day I might borrow that idea!!! I hope both nieces loved the dresses. Have you been sewing for your new grand baby too?

The Belle outfit for Alexa is wonderful! I am sure she looked just perfect for the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
I'd also like to help with a big give, but that "pro-boards" thing makes me hesitate. I'm no where near professional level and want to make these special kids something wonderful.
You absolutely do not need to be a "pro" in order to contribute to a Big Give. That's just the name of the board, not a requirement to join the group. In fact, there are lots of things you can send even if you don't sew at all. Right now they are looking for somebody to do some simple shorts to go with some of the shirts. Come on over and sign up!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #2918
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
While they DO make flannel that is flame retardant (be prepared to pay a pretty penny for it) the flame retardant chemical does wash out after a while )some reports say with as little as two washings). Some of the chemicals they use are pretty bad in them selves, and back in the late 70's there was one chemical that was found to cause sterility in males. (I can't remember the name at the moment, but from what I remember it was a chemical that was used for YEARS!)

Some experts suggest pjs that are more form fitting (as opposed to loose and flowy). This is the main reason I will not make pjs...but my DD prefers to sleep in t shirts and flannel lounge pants....

+++++++++++++++++

And by the way... not sure if I mentioned here or not...I am going to be a grand mother again! My Disney hating daughter and her Disney loving husband are having their first in about 12 weeks. They are not peeking, so at present time we are all guessing... will it be little Amelia ... or little Alexander? However, they did purchase two sets of Mickey ears in December at Disney in infant size...one with Amelia and one with Alexander...that is how they are planning on announcing to the world if it is a girl or boy!

I certainly hope I do not have to wait ANOTHER 5 years to get my next grand child! LOL

Nini
Thanks for the info on the flannel Nini. Congratulations about having a grand child! I am sure you are thrilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Thanks for all who have responded with good wishes about our house. I asked our realtor to let me know when inspection was scheduled and she has yet too, though I've been having e-mail problems. I know I'll hear from her when it's over. They only have until the 28th to do it. I will breathe a sign of relief once it's done and the buyers are satisfied.

I have done little work on my latest skirt for Alexa. I have been trying to lose weight b/c I keep gaining as I get older and am fed up. So I have been working out almost everyday. And when I work out I don't sew. And I'm still not losing It's so frustrating.
I hope the inspection goes well. I guess they only have a couple of days left to complete it. I will be praying for things to go well for you.

I am sorry to hear that you have been having problems with trying to lose weight. Perhaps you are buliding muscle mass instead of losing?

Quote:
Thanks Andrea according to the last 2 sonograms I have had there are no obvious boy parts so we are going with its a girl. We have a name but we are keeping it secret at this point because the first name is not a family name but a name J C and I love but the middle name is my Moms middle name and we don't want to hear flack from the other side of the family since primarily my kids have been named after my parents. Not my fault that they don't have any family names I like
I am glad to hear that you are doing better. I am sure the name you choose will be great. I hope the rest of the pregnancy will progress smoothly.

Quote:
My daughter and her husband spent weeks working on names (waaaaaay before they were expecting!) Making sure they did NOT pick any family names. Even going back 4 generations! Then, the first name had to have a minimum of 3 syllables with at lest two nick names , I don't remember the middle names for either child, so I can't remember the rules about that...

They had a list a mile long of requirements for each name...and they have them picked out for all 4 kids they want. So that meant all the names had to go together. (Did I say that my son in law is a research assistant?) Then, of course, was the final test of each name...he made mock up business cards for each name...one for a doctor one for a lawyer. The names had to be dignified sounding!

After they chose the names I asked about what happens if the girl marries someone with a different name...because initials cannot say or mean anything! So of course, he had to redo some of them!

Nini
It is funny that he made up mock business cards!

Quote:

The dress looks fab! Great job!

Quote:
I haven't been on to say my thanks for all the welcoming and information that has been shared!

PurpleEars-Thank you for welcoming me and for the machine advice. I'm really looking forward to appliqueing. How does one applique on to items that aren't one piece and flat? Like a t-shirt or pants? More research is definitely needed by me on all the sewing stuff!

Right now I am still waiting to get my machine from my grandpa (it is in my grandma's sewing room, which he hasn't touched much since she passed). I called him recently thinking he could tell me the type of machine but that was a no go. He said he never did understand those silly things, LOL . Right now if Mother Nature cooperates we will be heading up to visit him and get my machine on the 9th. All of the items look great, I especially love the under the sea quilt!!!! Precious! Now off to corral the kiddos, we have a snow storm again so all 6 kids will be home today .
Some of us take out one of the seams on t-shirts or jeans to do applique. Another alternative is to hoop the area you want to applique and make sure the rest of the garment stay outside the hoop. I am sure you are looking forward to having a sewing machine. I hope you will be able to pick it up on the 9th as planned. Please don't forget to take a picture of your machine and give it a name!

Quote:
Wendy, I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems with the concussion. I hope you will recover from it soon!

Quote:

We had a chance to go see the Broadway version of Beauty and the Beast last Sunday. Here is the outfit I made for Alexa. I didn't think I would be able to get it done because my embroidery machine decided to quit working. Luckily, my local sewing machine repairman was able to fix it.

I've made a couple of these skirts before and I forget how many hours of my life I have to give up for it, lol. She loved it and felt like a princess so it was worth it!
The dresses look great. I like the apron you did for the Cindy dress. Great job!

Quote:
I am going to do something drastic to my computer if it doesn't stop taking forever to upload photos. I've got pictures of no-Disney related lounge pants I made for my husband and Disney related goodies he's made for me, but I can't get them to load.

Sorry to hear that your computer is slow uploading photos. Hopefully it will work later. Certainly you don't have to be a "pro" - it is just the hosting site's name. I am sure whatever you can add to the Gives will be appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
She had hip replacement yesterday. I haven't seen her yet because I still have this darn cold! I think I am close to being better but I really don't want to pass any germs along to her while she is recovering.
I hope you will recover quickly so you can see your mom. I also hope that your mom will recover quickly from her hip replacement. Certainly that would improve the quality of her life once she is through the rehab.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #2919
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Would anyone have an idea to make a seat cushion for Jacob's stroller/wheelchair? Its a 14" wide convaid ez rider!! He doesnt have one for his, and his mom said he is sensative to scratchy materials, and the cruiser's material can get a bit scratchy, especially when you are hot!!

Also, maybe some type of luggage tag holder to place on his wheelchair for when he parks it?

Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #2920
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Those are darling dresses! Great job! Your daughter is truly a little "Beauty"!

Quote:

Computer problems can send you around the bend almost more quickly than anything else! I've been there for sure. I hope you get it resolved soon and can post your pictures.

I did a big give and was very nervous about doing a good enough job. But I guess I did okay and have signed up for another one. It is a great way to pay it forward! The kids are adorable!! So just jump in and don't worry about pro or not pro. I'm certainly NOT a pro!
Old 02-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #2921
babynala
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This dress is beautiful. At least she will be able to enjoy wearing for awhile.

Quote:

You would be singing "M-I-C K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E" all day and craving Skippy peanut butter.

Quote:
I haven't been on to say my thanks for all the welcoming and information that has been shared!
Hope the weather cooperates so you can get that machine from your grandfather's house. It will be so nice to sew on a machine that belonged to your grandmother. Be sure to post some pictures when you get it.

Quote:
Yikes, Wendy. I hope your vision improves and your headaches go away. I'm sorry you are having so many problems from the concussion. Please be sure to check in with your doctor or head to the ER if you need to.

Quote:
I am way behind again and as usual there is way too much to quote!

The Rapunzel dress is so cute and I love the Cindy dress with the apron. Such a cute saying, perfect for a shirt for mom too! The B&B dress is gorgeous. I hope you enjoyed the show.

Quote:

I hope you get your computer figured out soon. My computer is due for an upgrade but I don't want to reinstall it because I will loose my free SEU software.

Your thoughts about the big give are making me smile. I know Diane explained that "pro-boards" was the name of the message board host. No expertise required. Anything that is made or sent is greatly appreciated by the recipients.

Diane - I hope your mom is doing better. I'm glad they have a contact for someone that will be able to help them at home when she is doing better.

babynala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #2922
lynnanddbyz
Mouseketeer

: sad:
My machine offically died this morning. It has been coming for quite a while. It was an old singer with metal gears. I had worn the gears down and had to baby her along for the last 2 years. Well today her motor gave out. Will cost way to much to replace the gears, that is why I have been babying her.

I had a Brother from Walmart as a spare. We moved last July and I have not used it since way before we moved. It is toast too. I think the move must have shook it around too much. It will only make bird's nests. (It was pretty bad before the move horrible machine NEVER buy a machine from Walmart). It is useless now. I feel lost. Knew you guys would understand. It feels like I have lost a close friend. And NOOOO sewing until I can save the money and figure out what I want to replace her. :s ad:

lynnanddbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #2923
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
And by the way... not sure if I mentioned here or not...I am going to be a grand mother again! My Disney hating daughter and her Disney loving husband are having their first in about 12 weeks. They are not peeking, so at present time we are all guessing... will it be little Amelia ... or little Alexander? However, they did purchase two sets of Mickey ears in December at Disney in infant size...one with Amelia and one with Alexander...that is how they are planning on announcing to the world if it is a girl or boy!
I certainly hope I do not have to wait ANOTHER 5 years to get my next grand child! LOL Nini
YAY !! Congrats on the new grandbaby to be ! new babies are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnanddbyz View Post
: sad:
My machine offically died this morning. It has been coming for quite a while. It was an old singer with metal gears. I had worn the gears down and had to baby her along for the last 2 years. Well today her motor gave out. Will cost way to much to replace the gears, that is why I have been babying her.

I had a Brother from Walmart as a spare. We moved last July and I have not used it since way before we moved. It is toast too. I think the move must have shook it around too much. It will only make bird's nests. (It was pretty bad before the move horrible machine NEVER buy a machine from Walmart). It is useless now. I feel lost. Knew you guys would understand. It feels like I have lost a close friend. And NOOOO sewing until I can save the money and figure out what I want to replace her. :s ad:
oh no !!! I'll make sure to pack my machine up tight when I move.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #2924
lynnanddbyz
Mouseketeer

oh no !!! I'll make sure to pack my machine up tight when I move.[/QUOTE]

I packed it back into the original shipping box. But it was a cheap (both price and how it was made) machine to start with. I am not happy that it bit the dust. It was a nightmare to sew with. But I am VERRRRRRY sad my Singer died. I just set up a sewing space in a closet at Christmas so I could sew some. Started a quilt, finished the top. I pulled out a couple of UFO's to finish up and practice machine quilting on before tackling my "good" top. She died half way through quilting the first UFO.

I am already having withdrawals. No sewing for me until I get a new machine. It makes me just sick to think about it.

lynnanddbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #2925
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnanddbyz View Post
oh no !!! I'll make sure to pack my machine up tight when I move.

I packed it back into the original shipping box. But it was a cheap (both price and how it was made) machine to start with. I am not happy that it bit the dust. It was a nightmare to sew with. But I am VERRRRRRY sad my Singer died. I just set up a sewing space in a closet at Christmas so I could sew some. Started a quilt, finished the top. I pulled out a couple of UFO's to finish up and practice machine quilting on before tackling my "good" top. She died half way through quilting the first UFO.

I am already having withdrawals. No sewing for me until I get a new machine. It makes me just sick to think about it.
Oh no... I would be so SAD if Patience died... My vote is to replace your machine with the exact machine you had. (((hugs)))

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: