Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #2866
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
I haven't shared in a while since I haven't been sewing but now that the bus strike is over I have more time. This is what I did this week, the PJs are for Miss C and the rest was for an order and are on their way to Disney right now.

PEnguin PJS

P & F Shirt

Lightening McQueen Shirt

and Duffy (this is very similar to the one I made Miss C back last summer)

Need to get busy today with things that need to get done.
I love everything! That skirt material for the Duffy outfit is beautiful! You did an amazing job. Quickly too.

Thanks for the fabric tips. I've been spending a lot of time checking them all out. Good thing to do on a cold day! Also, glad to hear the buses are running again. Life can get back to just being semi-crazy for you. Hope you get to feeling stronger and better.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #2867
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Wow...I can not believe how long it has been since I have been on here! (hanging my head in shame!)

So many new names (as well as some not so new names!) Andrea...so glad about your house! Cheryl, your son should have come to GA for the movie shoot in my back yard... while it was more annoying than exciting (especially after we found out the stars were not going to be here) it was a bit of fun!

I promise to not stay away so long this time!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #2868
PrincessMickey
Mouseketeer

Wow, it's been forever since I posted here but I have been reading along. Love all the dresses, quilts are fantastic, and the towel robes and backpack and everything else too! I know Flora, you asked about my new job, I am loving it, it really fits me and my coworkers are great and I love working with them. I haven't been doing too much sewing but this week I plan on working on some stuff for the give. On a side note I needed needles for my machine. I have a Kenmore so I usually run into Sears to get my needles. I went in the other day and lo and behold they don't have Kenmore sewing stuff any more. The needles are Singer needles and they didn't even have Kenmore machines. I was curious and went online and they don't have anything there either so it looks like they have stopped making the machines and all the accessories too.

I have been working on teaching myself crochet. I have lots of downtime at work so I've been getting lots of practice. Here is my first hat and scarf I made. Just ignore the horrible self mirror picture, I had just come inside from shoveling snow.. I am working on another hat and scarf set and might make matching mittens for both sets too. I also started working on an afghan for my cousin's wedding gift this summer. I had originailly wanted to do a quilt but wasn't sure I would have the time so why not crochet while I'm working

PrincessMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #2869
PrincessMom4
DVC member-SSR

Dumb question, do you think this bathing suit cover-up is acceptable (allowed) at the pool at the resorts only?? (I know NOT the theme parks or water parks). I made it from a line of fabric that we have at our store.
ALK-Jambo-August 21-29/11; AKL-Kidani Villas-March 13-17/11;1st DVC trip-Kidani Villas-September 5-11/10; Space Ranger Mission - August 16-22/09;DS4th WDW birthday trip - March14 - 20/09;Pirate adventure-August 26-Sept 2/08;1st family trip-August 23-Sept 1/07
PrincessMom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #2870
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Wrong information alert!!!

I'm so sorry, but I don't remember who I advised to try a little canned air to clean out her sewing machine. BUT DON'T USE IT!!! Since I've been sick, I've been hanging out on utube watching all kinds of sewing/embroidery demos. Well one was how to clean out your machines and they said canned air has moisture in it, so it could be harmful to use. I don't think one use would hurt, but it would be more a continued use of it that would gum up the works. So sorry to have given wrong info!!

No stomach bug, but more like you with the nasty cold and cough. I'm feeling better today really for the first time. DH went to work yesterday, but his boss sent him back home. He's now on antibiotics.

I was thinking of naming my machine "budget buster", but thought she wouldn't appreciate that. When I look at her, I just think "Beauty" so that's her name.

Yep, Disney and sewing-related items are quite the drain on our budgets. I don't think any of us would have it any other way, though.
Thanks for the update about using canned air. I am sorry to hear that you have been under the weather, but it sounds like you and your DH are on the mend. Beauty sounds like a great name for your machine! I can't see pictures of it! I agree about not wanting it any other way in terms of where my spare money goes

Quote:
Thanks for asking The bus strike ended last Friday and the busses resumed on Wednesday when we went back to school. It has honestly been a huge relief to me. I am feeling pretty good. I will admit it has been hard being pregnant this time around.
I am glad that the bus strike is over and you are feeling better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
I'm trying to get back into the swing of sewing, as my knee is pretty much healed up. It still gets stiff if I'm in one position for too long, but a little ice and ibuprofen and I'm on my way.

Hopefully I'll have my big give items to share with you all really soon! Which I totally intended to use fabric from my stash for and as it turns out, I didn't have enough of any one fabric to make what I wanted.

So I had to go out and buy some more. Such a hardship to go to Joann's! I almost got sidetracked by all the pretty spring fabric, but I held strong! We'll see how long that lasts.
I am glad that your knee has more or less healed up. It sounds like you had a pretty good recovery. I have been very good this year in terms of sewing from my stash, though I bought some fabric the other day (it was 50% off). That was the first piece of fabric I bought in months!

Quote:
I haven't shared in a while since I haven't been sewing but now that the bus strike is over I have more time. This is what I did this week, the PJs are for Miss C and the rest was for an order and are on their way to Disney right now.

PEnguin PJS

P & F Shirt

Lightening McQueen Shirt

The PJ set looks nice and comfy. I like the Duffy set too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post
Wow, it's been forever since I posted here but I have been reading along. Love all the dresses, quilts are fantastic, and the towel robes and backpack and everything else too! I know Flora, you asked about my new job, I am loving it, it really fits me and my coworkers are great and I love working with them. I haven't been doing too much sewing but this week I plan on working on some stuff for the give. On a side note I needed needles for my machine. I have a Kenmore so I usually run into Sears to get my needles. I went in the other day and lo and behold they don't have Kenmore sewing stuff any more. The needles are Singer needles and they didn't even have Kenmore machines. I was curious and went online and they don't have anything there either so it looks like they have stopped making the machines and all the accessories too.

I have been working on teaching myself crochet. I have lots of downtime at work so I've been getting lots of practice. Here is my first hat and scarf I made. Just ignore the horrible self mirror picture, I had just come inside from shoveling snow.. I am working on another hat and scarf set and might make matching mittens for both sets too. I also started working on an afghan for my cousin's wedding gift this summer. I had originailly wanted to do a quilt but wasn't sure I would have the time so why not crochet while I'm working

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying your new job and that you are working with nice people. I didn't realize they stopped making Kenmore machines and the accessories. I hope you were able to find needles for your machine. The crocheted hat and scarf set looks great! I am sure they keep you nice and warm! I can't wait to see pictures of your other projects!

Nini - I lost your quote but it is nice to see you again! I hope things are going well with your family.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #2871
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:

PEnguin PJS

P & F Shirt

Lightening McQueen Shirt

Those pajamas are very cute and look really comfy. The t-shirts are cute too and the Duffy outfit is very pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post

Very nice hat and scarf, you're doing a great job crocheting.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #2872
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Love the quilts, Pj's are so cute and so are the shirts. great job on crocheting, I need to get my Mom doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMom4 View Post

Dumb question, do you think this bathing suit cover-up is acceptable (allowed) at the pool at the resorts only?? (I know NOT the theme parks or water parks). I made it from a line of fabric that we have at our store.
Why wouldn't it be ? You can wear what you want in the water or out of it. As long as you are not naked underneath then it's got you covered ... teehee !
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #2873
strega7
Mouseketeer

Hello, thought I would drop by and post the latest. I haven't posted in awhile, but have really been enjoying all the beautiful stuff that has been posted. We had a week off work this week and I have made a couple of easy strip quilts for some friends who just had babies. The only thing disney about the first one is the applique font, but I thought it was cute and would share anyway...

this isn't disney either, but the older brother who is not yet 2 enjoyed his baby sisters so much, I had to make him his own, so here is his...

Back to work tomorrow but, I will try harder to stay up with this thread.
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #2874
teresajoy
World's Proudest Aunt!
There is no such thing as too young or too old for Disney World!
Thinks glow in the dark ricrak is cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie View Post
Oh my gosh it worked!!! I have a Viking Rose--4 inch field. I thought a simple mickey head applique would be a good simple way to get to know it a bit--I did embroider with it a few times like 10 years ago when I first got it but never again. I stitched it out on a layer of heavyweight stablilizer (which I'm glad I never threw out, I have a bunch of stabilizers) and a large scrap of knit fabric, then did the applique in a scrap of flannel. I just cut out the whole thing since it's all scrap fabric and my 6 year old wanted it, but now I know I can do it on a T shirt and have it work!

I'm going to get some Cars fabric and cheap plain T shirts and make matching shirts for my boys I can't believe it worked! I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread!
I have the Rose too, I've never used the embroidery unit, because I've never had a card reader I could use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Our house update is we are under contract -- both parties that offered upped their offers and the one offering the highest wanted to close asap so it was an easy decision. Just waiting on inspection now and as long as that goes OK we should be set. I pray they don't find anything major -- they shouldn't, but I always still worry.
I'm so excited for you!!! I hope the inspection goes well!
teresajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #2875
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
Hello, thought I would drop by and post the latest. I haven't posted in awhile, but have really been enjoying all the beautiful stuff that has been posted. We had a week off work this week and I have made a couple of easy strip quilts for some friends who just had babies. The only thing disney about the first one is the applique font, but I thought it was cute and would share anyway...

this isn't disney either, but the older brother who is not yet 2 enjoyed his baby sisters so much, I had to make him his own, so here is his...

Those are very cute quilts and so sweet of you to make one for the big brother.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #2876
Shea&Van
&Waves

Coupon Find for Fabric.com

Hi everyone,

I posted a while back about my quest for matching bowling shirts and pillowcase dresses for my kids. You all provided some honest and helpful feedback, which I appreciated very much

After quietly stalking this thread for a while, I just wanted to say I love the beautiful things you all put together. I'm really inspired. I'm going to attempt to make some matching fleece hats for us for our trip. My MIL has an old sewing machine she says I can practice on. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Also, I wanted to share a coupon I got for Fabric.com. It is 15% off sitewide with NO minimum purchase. The code is THX113 and if you order more than $35 worth you get free shipping. Just wanted to share. I ordered some fabric and fleece and got a bunch of stuff for my $35 and got the discount!

Woot Woot!!

Also, in other news, I found my old planning binder and lo and behold, found an antique looking reciept from early 2011 from the lady who did my outfits last time. I decided to send her an email to see if she was still around and SHE IS! She is doing the two pillow case dresses and one bowling shirts for me. She actually already had the fabric I wanted. SCORE. All three pieces were $65 with the shipping. I'm SOOOOOOOO happy!

The outfits she made last time still look amazing and they were worn dozens of times! I'm hoping for another excellent transaction.

Anywho, happy sewing to everyone. Hope the coupon is helpful.

Thanks again for all the inspiration!
Disney Trips: June 1987 - WDW Off-site, July 1993 - WDW Off-site, September 2002 - DL Off-site, March 2003 - WDW Off-site, January 2010 - WDW Villas at Wilderness Lodge, September 2011 - WDW All Star Sports and Windsor Hills
Just Wrapped Up: Nov/Dec 2013 - WDW Buena Vista Suites (one night) and Private Villa at the Emerald Island Resort (eight nights)

Shea&Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:30 AM   #2877
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shea&Van
Hi everyone,

I posted a while back about my quest for matching bowling shirts and pillowcase dresses for my kids. You all provided some honest and helpful feedback, which I appreciated very much

After quietly stalking this thread for a while, I just wanted to say I love the beautiful things you all put together. I'm really inspired. I'm going to attempt to make some matching fleece hats for us for our trip. My MIL has an old sewing machine she says I can practice on. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Also, I wanted to share a coupon I got for Fabric.com. It is 15% off sitewide with NO minimum purchase. The code is THX113 and if you order more than $35 worth you get free shipping. Just wanted to share. I ordered some fabric and fleece and got a bunch of stuff for my $35 and got the discount!

Woot Woot!!

Also, in other news, I found my old planning binder and lo and behold, found an antique looking reciept from early 2011 from the lady who did my outfits last time. I decided to send her an email to see if she was still around and SHE IS! She is doing the two pillow case dresses and one bowling shirts for me. She actually already had the fabric I wanted. SCORE. All three pieces were $65 with the shipping. I'm SOOOOOOOO happy!

The outfits she made last time still look amazing and they were worn dozens of times! I'm hoping for another excellent transaction.

Anywho, happy sewing to everyone. Hope the coupon is helpful.

Thanks again for all the inspiration!
Ooo that all sounds fantastic finding the old receipt!! Yeah! Happy dance. I worked with my mom making a bowling shirt for my son last year and they are so darn cute! So many options with them (considering there was nothing really out there for boys like there are for the girls!). Can't wait to see em!

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #2878
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
Hello, thought I would drop by and post the latest. I haven't posted in awhile, but have really been enjoying all the beautiful stuff that has been posted. We had a week off work this week and I have made a couple of easy strip quilts for some friends who just had babies. The only thing disney about the first one is the applique font, but I thought it was cute and would share anyway...this isn't disney either, but the older brother who is not yet 2 enjoyed his baby sisters so much, I had to make him his own, so here is his...
the quilts look great and nice and easy to make. I might have to check that out.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #2879
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

Yup, knee is healing up nicely. Slow and steady wins the race.

Currently washing and drying the fabric for the big give, and hoping to get that all sewn up (ha ha ha) this week.
TarzansKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #2880
cjbear
Earning My Ears

Anyone have an iron recommendation? Mine stopped heating up yesterday. Looked a little on Amazon but the reviews are so contradictory with the same models described as both wonderful and junk that I am completely confused now!

The only feature that I am really interested in is the ability to turn off/override the auto-shutoff so the iron heats continuously. I'd like a bit more expensive as this is the second cheap iron from Target that I've worn out. Thanks!
cjbear is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: