Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #2821
ColonelHathi
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristyhas3 View Post
But, I did get the fabric. I'm excited to get started!

Too funny, I am looking at your stash and I think I have used 1/2 of the same fabrics on one project or another (mostly for DD4). Can't wait to see what you make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Since the kiddos have already received their outfits, I figured I would share here. I made these for the Star Wars week Big Give

Jen
Very nice... I wish I had more time to sew, I would love to help out with a Big give... maybe someday. FYI, DS is 7, and loves Stars Wars - he would love that boy's outfit you made, very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post

Now you’ll be able to spot me if you see me at Disney. Look near any of the snack carts.

I am in awe of all of your accessories! I just stop at the bag.

Quote:

Jen
Very cute quilts. I love the little owl one. The under the sea one too, but the owl one is my favorite.

Back to sewing, two Grace ruffle dresses in the works. Just wanted to comment on a few awesome things quick.

How do I make the images I am quoting smaller? Sorry for the huge image repost.

CSR October 2013, POR October 2013
Jungle Cruise Skipper ~ Spring CP, Summer Seasonal circa 1995
ColonelHathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #2822
thomtas
Earning My Ears

Smile Hi!

I just wanted to say hello, I've been lurking for a while! I have decided to bring out the sewing machine left to me by my grandma and give sewing a try. I haven't tried sewing since high school (and managed to break a sewing machine ). All of the items everyone has posted have been so beautiful!!! I really want to make some pretty dresses, my youngest girl is my "princess" and loves frilly dresses . I may be posting tons of questions soon as I am a total newbie . Best wishes to everyone
thomtas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #2823
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelHathi View Post
inside the image name you add a th_
Before --
--//i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/pyrxtc/Sewing/B5BA3742-555D-4147-BA97-DA717812CED5-3760-00000A3A0D22E7B8.jpg-- [/IMG]

after --

--//i10.photobucket.com/albums/a125/pyrxtc/Sewing/th_B5BA3742-555D-4147-BA97-DA717812CED5-3760-00000A3A0D22E7B8.jpg--[/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomtas View Post
I just wanted to say hello, I've been lurking for a while! I have decided to bring out the sewing machine left to me by my grandma and give sewing a try. I haven't tried sewing since high school (and managed to break a sewing machine ). All of the items everyone has posted have been so beautiful!!! I really want to make some pretty dresses, my youngest girl is my "princess" and loves frilly dresses . I may be posting tons of questions soon as I am a total newbie . Best wishes to everyone
Welcome and I know you'll do great. I've been sewing less than a year now and just kind of dove right in. Can't wait to see what you make.

Last edited by pyrxtc; 02-20-2013 at 08:25 PM.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #2824
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Grandfather kind of poo-pooed the dress. He said he was thinking of something more simple. he didn't look happy at all. So much so that I went out and bought a pattern that resembled my dresses from the contest and some more fabric to make a new dress. When I called to offer that to him he let me know that he gave the dress to his grand-daughter Friday night.

He told me that she only had one word for it..... EXCELLENT ! She put it on and twirled around in it for 2 hours and refused to take it off. Of course Mom was happy. He was really surprised that she liked it. he said he didn't know little girls like princess things so much. It fit her perfectly with a little room to grow. He also told me that he will find a time to bring her over in it so I can see her in it.
It's funny that the grandpa didn't like the dress but I am glad that the granddaugther liked it. I guess it has been a while since he had to buy dresses for little girls

Quote:
Hi everyone!!

Wow! Just wow! You all do such beautiful work! That backpack and accessories is to-die-for. And the quilts are just lovely.

I have 2 weeks until we head to DLR, but I'm out of town working at a quilt show, so I can't get started on my girl's dresses yet. But, I did get the fabric. I'm excited to get started!

Welcome and I can't wait to see what you make with the fabric!

Quote:
Since the kiddos have already received their outfits, I figured I would share here. I made these for the Star Wars week Big Give, the wish kid is 7, and has twin sisters who are 4. The dresses are simply sweet animal-kingdom inspired, then I made star-wars-mickey-head shirts for all 3 kids, including one pink one purple for the girls. I made shorts to go with his, they are easy-fits with bargo pockets, I think they turned out really cute. I love being able to contribute to these gives, I am so glad I found this group and you have all been so welcoming and inspirational.

Jen
Great job on all the outfits! They look fab!

Quote:
I've read so much about split stays I'll be curious to see if I think it was worth it in the end. I know what you mean about wanting to spend some time at the Polynesian after spending all the money to stay there. I think that's why I usually end up at a value resort, because I need only the bed (and maybe a shower if I'm there more than a week ).
I will be curious to see how you like the split stay. I am usually too lazy to pack up in the middle of a trip to move somewhere else, even though we probably do to some degree as we tend to have a laundry day in the middle of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Here is a dress that I finished up today:

The dress looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelHathi View Post
Back to sewing, two Grace ruffle dresses in the works. Just wanted to comment on a few awesome things quick.

I can't wait to see pictures of the Grace Ruffle dresses. I saw that your question about the image sizing has been answered. The image reducing code only works for pictures from Photobucket though.

Quote:
Welcome! A number of us haven't sewn much before joining this group. This group is very friendly and please feel free to post questions. We are all here to help each other learn!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)

Last edited by PurpleEars; 02-21-2013 at 07:28 PM.
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #2825
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

I've been lurking a lot lately because I haven't had time to make anything lately (working on it now though!). Can someone warn me when we have to start a new thread perhaps? I don't want to lose you!!!! I'm sure it will be soon right? Isn't it around 200?

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #2826
rebeccalizzie
Earning My Ears

Gee thanks...I have an older sewing/embroidery machine combo that I never use for embroidery. Thanks to this thread I just purchased a mickey ear applique and am going to try to make a few cute T shirts for my boys. I NEVER find cute boy stuff, I love the shirt and shorts goteamwood made!

I hope this isn't too frustrating, I really have no idea how to use the embroidery mode on my machine.
rebeccalizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #2827
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie View Post
Gee thanks...I have an older sewing/embroidery machine combo that I never use for embroidery. Thanks to this thread I just purchased a mickey ear applique and am going to try to make a few cute T shirts for my boys. I NEVER find cute boy stuff, I love the shirt and shorts goteamwood made!

I hope this isn't too frustrating, I really have no idea how to use the embroidery mode on my machine.
What machine do you have? There might be someone here who can help you.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #2828
rebeccalizzie
Earning My Ears

Oh my gosh it worked!!! I have a Viking Rose--4 inch field. I thought a simple mickey head applique would be a good simple way to get to know it a bit--I did embroider with it a few times like 10 years ago when I first got it but never again. I stitched it out on a layer of heavyweight stablilizer (which I'm glad I never threw out, I have a bunch of stabilizers) and a large scrap of knit fabric, then did the applique in a scrap of flannel. I just cut out the whole thing since it's all scrap fabric and my 6 year old wanted it, but now I know I can do it on a T shirt and have it work!

I'm going to get some Cars fabric and cheap plain T shirts and make matching shirts for my boys I can't believe it worked! I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread!
rebeccalizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #2829
Chasingmarcus
Earning My Ears

Thank you so much for the kind words about the Annie Dress. We had a great time in New York City...seeing the show and the the things that the city has to offer. I took quite a few pictures of her at the theater and I hope to put them on the computer today. I thought more little girls would be dressed up like Annie, but I think my daughter was the only one!

Quote:
This is AMAZING! What talent!

Quote:
Here is a dress that I finished up today:

I have seen several dresses similar to this one that people have made. What pattern is it? I might need to buy it for a few for my daughter. She would not like the straps that tie on the shoulder, but I noticed that yours are tied in the back, and she would like that.

Add me to the list of people with a really old embroidery machine. I have a PE190? Maybe? I am looking at the one that you all seem to recommend on Amazon the 770 I think it is? I was a bit nervous as I have never bought a machine not at a dealer. When I went to my local dealer they seemed to have a very similar machine there but it was $1,300! I think it had more pre programed disney designs, but I seem to like the applique designs better. I don't really know how to do those types of designs yet, but I am sure with a little practice I can figure it out.
Chasingmarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #2830
cogero
DIS Veteran

The PE 770 is a good machine. It is a stand alone machine it does not sew. You probably saw the 780D with the Disney Designs but that sounds a bit steep for it but I am not sure.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #2831
thomtas
Earning My Ears

Post Sewing and Embroidery Machines

Could anyone advise me on a good machine/s that can sew and embroider? Or is it better to have two different machines? This isn't something I will be getting right away but I do want to research and watch costs (so I can later convince DH that I really need one! He is a notorious cheapskate ). What features are most important in a machine? I'm just trying to understand it all (sewing, embroidery, serger, etc.). Thanks in advance for any information, time to settle in for a winter storm with the kiddos
thomtas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #2832
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad you decided to stop lurking. We are happy to answer question and help a newbie get started. It is lots of fun to make princessy dresses for little girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
I've been lurking a lot lately because I haven't had time to make anything lately (working on it now though!). Can someone warn me when we have to start a new thread perhaps? I don't want to lose you!!!! I'm sure it will be soon right? Isn't it around 200?
I don't remember if it is at 200 or 250. Does anybody else remember????

Quote:
Oh my gosh it worked!!! I have a Viking Rose--4 inch field. I thought a simple mickey head applique would be a good simple way to get to know it a bit--I did embroider with it a few times like 10 years ago when I first got it but never again. I stitched it out on a layer of heavyweight stablilizer (which I'm glad I never threw out, I have a bunch of stabilizers) and a large scrap of knit fabric, then did the applique in a scrap of flannel. I just cut out the whole thing since it's all scrap fabric and my 6 year old wanted it, but now I know I can do it on a T shirt and have it work!

I'm going to get some Cars fabric and cheap plain T shirts and make matching shirts for my boys I can't believe it worked! I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread!
We are glad you found us too! And glad you figured out your machine and made something with it. Youtube is a great resource for learning how to do machine applique. Plus we are all happy to answer questions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingmarcus View Post
Thank you so much for the kind words about the Annie Dress. We had a great time in New York City...seeing the show and the the things that the city has to offer.

I have seen several dresses similar to this one that people have made. What pattern is it? I might need to buy it for a few for my daughter. She would not like the straps that tie on the shoulder, but I noticed that yours are tied in the back, and she would like that.

Add me to the list of people with a really old embroidery machine. I have a PE190? Maybe? I am looking at the one that you all seem to recommend on Amazon the 770 I think it is? I was a bit nervous as I have never bought a machine not at a dealer. When I went to my local dealer they seemed to have a very similar machine there but it was $1,300! I think it had more pre programed disney designs, but I seem to like the applique designs better. I don't really know how to do those types of designs yet, but I am sure with a little practice I can figure it out.
I am so happy that your Annie dress was a hit. I'm sure that NY was a ton of fun. I keep hoping to go with my family one day soon but other things keep coming up.

The dress that I made with Ariel on it is a Simply Sweet from the Scientific Seamstress. But I did add some of my own design features. I added shirring to the back of the halter so that it was more secure and I added two buttonholes for the straps. I also lengthened the straps so that they would tie at the back instead of at the neck.

I don't have the PE 770 but so many people on here do. And many of them have purchased them on-line instead of at local dealers. Several people bought them on Amazon.com and a few people bought them from either QVC or Overstock.com. Learning to do the appliques is very easy if you already know how to use your embroidery machine. Embroidery Library has some good tutorials.

Quote:
Could anyone advise me on a good machine/s that can sew and embroider? Or is it better to have two different machines? This isn't something I will be getting right away but I do want to research and watch costs (so I can later convince DH that I really need one! He is a notorious cheapskate ). What features are most important in a machine? I'm just trying to understand it all (sewing, embroidery, serger, etc.). Thanks in advance for any information, time to settle in for a winter storm with the kiddos
If you have space, two separate machines tend to be less costly and nicer to have. That way if your embroidery machine is running, then you can sew in between changing thread colors. The PE 770 tends to be much less expensive than the combo machines. They generally start around $2000 for the ones with at least a 5x7 embroidery field. However, from time to time people find great deals on a used combo machine on Craigslist. Some of the older machines still run great and can least for years and years. With the embroidery machine, you want to make sure that you buy something with at least a 5x7 embroidery field. With a sewing machine, make sure that it does buttonholes and has a zigzag stitch.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #2833
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
We move at around page 250.

Quote:

Congrats on getting the embroidery portion working! I can't wait to see what you embroider with it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingmarcus View Post
Thank you so much for the kind words about the Annie Dress. We had a great time in New York City...seeing the show and the the things that the city has to offer. I took quite a few pictures of her at the theater and I hope to put them on the computer today. I thought more little girls would be dressed up like Annie, but I think my daughter was the only one!

The Grace Ruffle dress would have a similar look too. I have a SE270D which may be a little bit newer than yours. I would save the money and get an embroidery machine without the built in Disney design. I think most people prefer appliques anyway.

Quote:
I think it is nice to have 2 separate machines, however, you can get by with just a sewing machine. You can do applique "by hand" as long as the sewing machine does zig zag stitches. A serger is nice to have, though I got by for years with just the side cutter foot on my regular sewing machine.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #2834
DisNorth
DIS Veteran

I haven't been around much. Haven't had much chance to sew lately. But as always you all have been making some beautiful things!!

Quote:

A little Mickey/Minnie free-motion quilting:
Cristy, very cool free motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Here are a couple of super hero capes for my two DGDs. I made a super hero cape for my DGS (which he has still never worn) and his sister loved it and "ordered" one for herself with purple fabric on one side, Strawberry Shortcake on the other and two Ss for Super Selah. Well arlighty then! So I had to make one for my other DGD as well with her favorites.

Selah's cape:

Charlotte's cape:

The letters are glittery, but it doesn't show up on the photos.
These are great, thanks for posting the tutorial as well

Quote:
Then here are two dresses that I made for the launch last week.
With the pinafore on:

With the pinafore removed:

Beautiful! You've been busy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
And a Tink Rosetta I just finished for a Bog Give (being stuck inside with three feet of blizzard snow has advantages!)

Bag
I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
I did not get the stitch count on the machine I got, but I did talk with the owner today. She said they gave me the wrong machine and she had one there for me...an Ellegante 3!!! She didn't have any more 2s, so she is giving me a 3 for the price she quoted for the 2! I'm more than satisfied. She wants me to come in Thursday when she is there and stay long enough to have a mini class on embroidery. I can't wait!
Glad it work out good! How is the new machine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Dr said I have a nasty concussion - no driving, no work, no exercise and little screen time - lots of sleep and fluids and an EEG (Im having some staring spells and memory issues, but he thinks its from the concussion). Hopefully in a day or 2 I can at least embroider or something!! Im dizzy alot right now! lol....
I hope you are feeling better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
This thread kind of jumped some pages in the last few days. I was busy reading everything rather than finishing my Cindy dress. It was making me very mad so I was being lazy and putting it off until I got a call last night and I was asked if it was done. I told him I had one last thing and I would be done today, which I did do. UGH !!

I lied cuz I still had to finish off the seams and finish putting the zipper in. I really wanted to fit it to her before I sewed the bodice lining in and told him so. He said he would try to get her here today but that didn't work out. We decided that I would sew the lining in and she should have room to grow in it. I got started on sewing it in today and attached the bottom of the bodice lining to the bottom edge of the skirt seam. I got more than halfway done and realized I only had about 2 inches of bodice left but 7 inches of skirt seam. UGH !! I had to rip out over an hours work of hand sewing. I put it over my lamp and pinned and sewed for almost 2 hours making sure it went just right. The very top of the skirt seam to the very bottom of the bodice seam.

Sorry you had problems with the pattern but the results look lovely!

Quote:
Is it me or is it Photobucket?

Trying to upload photos to share is very trying!

Thank you for understanding.

I'll be back.
I don't like the changes they made to photobucket

Quote:
I haven’t posted in forever so got carried away with this post, but I know you’ll humor me.

I love string backpacks.

Now you’ll be able to spot me if you see me at Disney. Look near any of the snack carts.

Love everything Cheryl!! Hope you have a great trip!

Quote:

And I got a commission from a friend I have known since High School to make a baby quilt as a gift for a friend of hers. I love the way it is turning out, I got the whole quilt top done, now onto the tedious task of layers/quilting/trimming/binding.

Jen
Great quilts, Jen. I like making the tops better than the other steps!

Quote:

Jen

Quote:

Glad you got your machine working, and have lots of fun creating!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #2835
PrincessMom4
DVC member-SSR

I LOVE ALL of these projects!!!!!!!!! Working on getting my Star Tours Weekend shirts and pillowcases ready for our surprise trip.
ALK-Jambo-August 21-29/11; AKL-Kidani Villas-March 13-17/11;1st DVC trip-Kidani Villas-September 5-11/10; Space Ranger Mission - August 16-22/09;DS4th WDW birthday trip - March14 - 20/09;Pirate adventure-August 26-Sept 2/08;1st family trip-August 23-Sept 1/07
PrincessMom4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: