Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #2641
Jen7079
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
I just bought a second hand one for $50. So far I love it, it's a Powerlock. I saw that Amazon has some great sales on sewing machines and embroidery machines. I didn't look to see if they had any sergers on sale.
I have been looking for used and I can't find any that are under $800 on my craigslist, is there saomewhere better to look?

Jennifer
Jen7079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #2642
cogero
DIS Veteran

My first serger was a brother 1034d and I hated it i was always having a problem with it. My replacement was a Janome 11000dx and I adore it. It is a much better quality machine . It is also 3 times the price of the brother.

Ii

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #2643
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen7079 View Post
I have been looking for used and I can't find any that are under $800 on my craigslist, is there saomewhere better to look?

Jennifer
That's where I found mine. I found one over a year ago for $50 and I didn't jump on getting it. A few months ago another one was on Craigslist and I called and said I was interested but wouldn't be able to get it until Sat. They didn't want to hold it for me that long so I called back and said I could make it in the evening on Friday. My dad had Friday off of work so he offered to go and get it as it was about 45 min away and he didn't want my mom and I driving in the dark with it raining.

I haven't tried to do a rolled hem yet. The only thing I know is missing is one of the spool holders (so the thread doesn't spin). It doesn't seem to make much difference without the extra plastic piece.

I don't think I have taken a photo to post yet. I had to wait until I bought a new computer as the old one had no memory (extremely low).
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #2644
squirrel
DIS Veteran

On Amazon there are quite a few that are in the $200-$400 range. Hopefully some others that have newer sergers will tell you what they have.

Mine looks more like the Janome and Juki style with the knobs-not the lay in thread kind.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #2645
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
On other exciting news: DH and I may be planning a September trip! DH just said to me the other day, would you like to go to Night of Joy? I am just super excited as music is a big part of worship for us (he sings in our church's selected voices choir). Now hopefully we can get free dining and airfare that doesn't cost a fortune. I guess we should have booked that bounceback when we were there last year, but we honestly didn't think we would go during the times they specified. I guess there may be new Disney outfits for me afterall!
I hope that they do the free dining. It is too bad that you didn't book the bounce back offer but if you didn't know what your plans would be, I guess it didn't make sense to book something. I'm hoping that they extend the room only discount code for a few more days. Right now we are arriving just after it ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesdumbo View Post

I'm working on another rag quilt. Almost done with the sewing. If the snow forecasts are accurate this weekend should be a good time to do the cutting on the seams.
The rag quilt is adorable and I love the tissue holders. It is great to get a snow day and have lots of crafty fun.

Quote:
DOes anyone have a serger that they love and can recommend? I am thinking about purchasing one and I am feeling very overwhelmed. I want to use it on t-shirts and rooled hems, I also want to be able to attach the "ruffler". Any help would be appreciated.

Jennifer
I just love my Bernina serger. It is a high quality machine. I also bought mine second hand. I didn't want to buy an inexpensive machine because I wanted it to last for years and years. I bought mine on ebay. It is a little riskier but there is a lot more to choose from. My Bernina does a beautiful stitch and I love to do rolled hems and lettuce edging. My friend with a Brother sergers said that mine is much quieter than hers is also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post

The quilt is beautiful! I love how you based it on the princess fabric. I'm sure that the mom must have appreciated such a lovely gift.

Quote:
I have been looking for used and I can't find any that are under $800 on my craigslist, is there somewhere better to look?

Jennifer
As I said further up, check on ebay. I've bought two embroidery machines, a sewing machine and a serger on ebay. I only buy from sellers with a track record of selling sewing or embroidery machines. And they must have only positive feedback. If you pay through paypal, you have plenty of protection.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #2646
Jen7079
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
My first serger was a brother 1034d and I hated it i was always having a problem with it. My replacement was a Janome 11000dx and I adore it. It is a much better quality machine . It is also 3 times the price of the brother.

Ii
That is good to know, I was looking at the Brother 1034d, but only because of the price. I don't mind spending more, but I want to be sure that I have to iykwim. I was looking at the babylocks, but I don't want to spend $2,500 if I don't have to.

Off to check out Janomes.

Jennifer
Old 02-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #2647
Jen7079
Mouseketeer

[/QUOTE] I just love my Bernina serger. It is a high quality machine. I also bought mine second hand. I didn't want to buy an inexpensive machine because I wanted it to last for years and years. I bought mine on ebay. It is a little riskier but there is a lot more to choose from. My Bernina does a beautiful stitch and I love to do rolled hems and lettuce edging. My friend with a Brother sergers said that mine is much quieter than hers is also.

As I said further up, check on ebay. I've bought two embroidery machines, a sewing machine and a serger on ebay. I only buy from sellers with a track record of selling sewing or embroidery machines. And they must have only positive feedback. If you pay through paypal, you have plenty of protection.[/QUOTE]

Thank you I will go and check ebay.

Does anyone have an opinion on Juki?

Jennifer
Old 02-07-2013, 05:52 PM   #2648
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Does anyone have an opinion on Juki?

Jennifer
Are you talking about a new Juki or an old one? I played with the Juki machines at the Sewing Expo back on October. I was very impressed with the sewing machines. I didn't spend much time on the sergers. I understand that the sewing machines are an excellent value. Juki has had a great reputation as an industrial machine. I think they are working on expanding their use as sewing machines in the homes.

This is similar to my serger but it is one model up:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernina-1300...item43b85e40c2

Last edited by dianemom2; 02-07-2013 at 05:59 PM.
dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #2649
Jen7079
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Are you talking about a new Juki or an old one? I played with the Juki machines at the Sewing Expo back on October. I was very impressed with the sewing machines. I didn't spend much time on the sergers. I understand that the sewing machines are an excellent value. Juki has had a great reputation as an industrial machine. I think they are working on expanding their use as sewing machines in the homes.

This is similar to my serger but it is one model up:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bernina-1300...item43b85e40c2
Thanks! As I tend to forget auctions I went ahead and bid.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #2650
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

This is the dress that I am working on for my neighbors grand-daughter. So far it's a pain but some of that is my fault and the rest if the directions that make no sense at all. It looks like it will come out okay though. Still more to do....

http://confesseddisneyaddict.blogspo...ss-part-1.html
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #2651
dbarker
Mouseketeer
You can't miss my DH. He's a big burly USMC redneck w/ a fanny pack and acting like a kid who can't wait for the next ride at WDW.

Help!!!

I am making wristlet key fobs for FE gifts for our upcoming cruises.

I bought 1.25" key hardware.

Problem: I cannot find 1.25" webbing, ribbon, or twill tape. Ugggh. Actually I found some on Amazon, but they wanted more for shipping and handling than the webbing cost.

Any suggestions about what I can do to make these key fobs?

TIA. All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
dbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #2652
SallyfromDE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is good to know, I was looking at the Brother 1034d, but only because of the price. I don't mind spending more, but I want to be sure that I have to iykwim. I was looking at the babylocks, but I don't want to spend $2,500 if I don't have to.

Off to check out Janomes.

Jennifer
The brother was okay, my foot lever broke after about a month. I now have a Janome and I love it!! Its so smooth and quiet. I don't remember the model.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #2653
cogero
DIS Veteran

Why oh why am I having so many problems finding boy fabric I love for this next trip

Nothing has been speaking to me.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #2654
Jen7079
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Why oh why am I having so many problems finding boy fabric I love for this next trip

I have boys and we are taking my cousin's daughter with us in June and I was really excited to be able to sew cute stuff for a girl. I can't find any cute girl Disney fabric... When I am looking for boys all the girl stuff looks so cute, but now that I am able to buy the girl stuff it is all blah and overly busy..
Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #2655
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarzansKat View Post
Hi! I finally uploaded photos of the baby quilt I did.

Not Disney, but surely fit for a princess.

I adored the little princess fabric and based the whole quilt on that. It was a real pleasure to make, and was gifted to one of my DIS friends who is expecting her first baby in a couple of weeks.

What a beautiful quilt and I just know a lot of love went into it. Great job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
This is the dress that I am working on for my neighbors grand-daughter. So far it's a pain but some of that is my fault and the rest if the directions that make no sense at all. It looks like it will come out okay though. Still more to do....

http://confesseddisneyaddict.blogspo...ss-part-1.html
So far so good. Sorry it's been a trial for you. Commercial patterns can be a bit problematic. Hope you can get it done on time. I'm sure it will be lovely once it's all done. Then you can breath a sigh of relief. Keep up the good work!

Quote:

I hear you! It's true of ready made clothing as well. Boys stuff just isn't doesn't seem to have the cool factor any more. Frustrating!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: