Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-25-2012, 09:51 PM   #1891
goteamwood
DIS Veteran
 
goteamwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Crystal Lake IL
Posts: 518

Since everyone is jumping on the embroidery machine deals, I finally decided to treat myself to a serger. I felt left out. I have been eyeing the Brother one that is under $200 on amazon for some time. It has good reviews and seems pretty basic and functional, so I figured I would try it. What exactly do I need to get started? Thread, I assume, but are there different presser feet and such like for the sewing machine? (For the record, I got this one.) I did also order a book on serging and have been watching some you tube videos. I did use a serger one time, but it was in 6th grade home ec class way back in the late '80s so I think it is possible that things have changed and I forgot how to use it.
My basic desire with it is to use it for seams for clothing instead of sew, zig-zag, etc to save steps. I mostly sew with cotton quilting fabric, I haven't gotten into knits or anything yet. I would like to use it to hem also. I currently make all my bowling shirts lined because I am spoiled by the nice, hem-free way they go together. I also got some fleece to make the Carla C raglan Hoodies for xmas gifts. I put one together yesterday, I am pretty pleased with it, it is for my nephew, I will post a photo when I take one.
I have been working like crazy to get some projects going, including the advent calendar which I dreamed of doing last year and never even started. I am doing in the hoop banners and making "pockets" out of them sort of. I have 1-2 done. Only 23 left to go. Oh, and assembling it. Good thing my kids can't count past 7 or so, buys me some time...

Thanks for the tips on Heather Sue's sale. I picked up a few I had been pining over for a while. It seems everyone had a sale this week, I spent more than I needed or wanted to, but got some fun stuff.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Etsy: JustJoshinKids • just-joshin.com
personal blog: go team wood dot com

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #1892
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran
 
PurpleEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins_jazy View Post
26 days to go!!!! I got a bunch of designs during heathers sale yesterday so it's time to dust off the old embroidery machine and tackle the mountains of shirts I have to do. I haven't had my embroidery machine out since our last disney trip in 09! There are 8 of us going, all with matching shirts.... 3 shirts for each person are embroidered so I have 24 shirts to embroider.
I am sure you can get 24 shirts done between now and then!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
It took a bit of searching but I did find Heathers page last night and at 11 pm I saw the birthday sale!!! I had 1 hour to shop and I literally made it in under the wire.

I have just spent a long time browsing Lynnie Pinnie and also bought a ton of designs... when they are mostly .50cents! you can't go wrong!

Sooooo......... I'm set! will be back to reply!
Glad that you got in on the sale. I didn't end up buying any designs as I don't have any projects planned right now. I simply can't justify buying designs when I have a few that I haven't used yet.
__________________
DH Me



Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #1893
strega7
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2SamandJames View Post
A couple years ago, I told many of you on this board about my Dad having cancer and how my boys walked with him to the mailbox everyday. A lot of you mailed Daddy cards, postcards, or packages. Yesterday, Daddy passed away. I just wanted to thank all of you who sent Daddy something. You made him a happy man each time there was something in his mailbox. It made for a lot of special memories with my boys. Thank you again.

Dawn
I am sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
I'm trying to catch up again after not checking in for a couple of days. Everything looks wonderful.
I decided to use Disney Christmas fabric for my grandkids' Christmas outfits this year just because it's fun. But now it turns out they will get to wear them to see the Christmas decorations when we go to WDW on Monday
I used the Disney fabric for the appliques on my granddaughter's shirt and the bottom ruffle on her skirt.


And I used the Disney fabric for my grandson's vest.
Those turned out really cute. I saw that material at our JoAnnes, and almost bought it, but figured I had enough projects in the works, so I restriained. But I love what you have done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
My DH and I went to see a head and neck cancer specialist at Georgetown University Hospital yesterday. DH will have a biopsy done one day next week and we will get the results the following week. He will definitely have to get his thyroid removed, probably in mid-December but we are not exactly sure of the timing. They determines that while my husband's case is considered urgent, there is no need to rush into emergency surgery before getting biopsy results. Anyhow, the dr yesterday said that due to a few other symptoms that DH is having, he is leaning towards the large mass in the thyroid being caused by some kind of auto-immune disorder. But that the other likely cause is a very aggressive type of thyroid cancer. We won't know until we get the biopsy results so we are in for a couple of tense weeks.
I am sorry you and your DH are going thru this. Sending prayers your way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedmom4 View Post
[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Andreas' Awesome Supply List she sent me months ago...One of these days I WILL have a machine, I am ready and keep trying to learn all I can without owning one.

Thread: Marathon 50 most popular colors starter set in Rayon
Also wise to order an extra black and white
website is marathonthread.com

Stabilizer: Medium Weight Tear away from Marathon

Medium weight cut away. I buy Floriani brand from Tidewater Sew-Vac. Some people just buy it at Joann’s and get the common brands. Floriani was recommended to me b/c it softens a lot after washing and is good for kids with sensitive skin.

For cotton I hoop a sheet of the tearaway and then float a second sheet under

For knits I hoop the cut away and float a sheet of tear away under it

Scissors: I use Gingher embroidery scissors (use coupon from Joann’s). I used a small curved manicure scissors as well. Some people buy Friskars curved scissors which can be purchased with coupon at Michaels or AC Moore.

Spay adhesive: Dritz 505 spray in yellow can available at Joann’s (use coupon as it’s around $15 per can).

Bobbins: I wind my own. Machine comes with bobbin thread and 4 spools and you can buy the spools at Walmart. If you buy prewound I was told to buy from Marathon NEB sided plastic polyester filament 14100P

Memory stick -- Brother PE 770 uses PES files

Marking pens or pencils

Extra needles: I just buy them from Marathon -- ballpoint for knits, sharp point for cotton

Pins for knit from Walmart if you pin rather than hoop you shirts.
Thank you for reposting this list, I have a PE770, but this list definately comes in handy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Well, our kids and their families are back home now after a wonderful TG together. I did get a chance to have my DGD try on her Chirstmas outfit and she loved it! She didn't want to take it off and wore it all day on Thanksgiving. On the opposite side of the spectrum, my DGS wouldn't even try his shirt on! I was hoping to see how this one fit since I have material to make him a couple more for Christmas gifts, but he wanted nothing to do with it! Oh well. Here are a few pics:




Absolutely Adorable!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phins_jazy View Post
26 days to go!!!! I got a bunch of designs during heathers sale yesterday so it's time to dust off the old embroidery machine and tackle the mountains of shirts I have to do. I haven't had my embroidery machine out since our last disney trip in 09! There are 8 of us going, all with matching shirts.... 3 shirts for each person are embroidered so I have 24 shirts to embroider.
Wow, you are going to be busy. I haven't gotten my maching out in awhile, but I probably will soon, just to see if I remember how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Since everyone is jumping on the embroidery machine deals, I finally decided to treat myself to a serger. I felt left out. I have been eyeing the Brother one that is under $200 on amazon for some time. It has good reviews and seems pretty basic and functional, so I figured I would try it. What exactly do I need to get started? Thread, I assume, but are there different presser feet and such like for the sewing machine? (For the record, I got this one.) I did also order a book on serging and have been watching some you tube videos. I did use a serger one time, but it was in 6th grade home ec class way back in the late '80s so I think it is possible that things have changed and I forgot how to use it.
My basic desire with it is to use it for seams for clothing instead of sew, zig-zag, etc to save steps. I mostly sew with cotton quilting fabric, I haven't gotten into knits or anything yet. I would like to use it to hem also. I currently make all my bowling shirts lined because I am spoiled by the nice, hem-free way they go together. I also got some fleece to make the Carla C raglan Hoodies for xmas gifts. I put one together yesterday, I am pretty pleased with it, it is for my nephew, I will post a photo when I take one.
I have been working like crazy to get some projects going, including the advent calendar which I dreamed of doing last year and never even started. I am doing in the hoop banners and making "pockets" out of them sort of. I have 1-2 done. Only 23 left to go. Oh, and assembling it. Good thing my kids can't count past 7 or so, buys me some time...

Thanks for the tips on Heather Sue's sale. I picked up a few I had been pining over for a while. It seems everyone had a sale this week, I spent more than I needed or wanted to, but got some fun stuff.
You are going to be super busy! Let me know how you like you serger, I asked for one for christmas (a bit more than what we like to spend of gifts, but hoping anyway) I put the brother one you are looking at, and a Janome model, just because my sewing maching is Janome and I love it!


Congratulations to all those new PE770 owners, I can't wait to see your creations!

Marci
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #1894
jacquelynbiehl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16

I guess I should have been more specific when I asked what kind of fabric everyone uses for their appliqués. I meant do you use solids, blenders, or something else. I guess to some degree it depends on what the appliqué is...just curious where you get your scraps from. Thanks!!

Congrats on the new serger! Sorry you felt left out. It does seem like quite a few of us finally bit the bullet on the embroidery machine.

To those who have ordered from thread art...have you been happy with their thread and/or prewound bobbins?

Ps. My 770 shipped today!!
jacquelynbiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:02 PM   #1895
goteamwood
DIS Veteran
 
goteamwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Crystal Lake IL
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelynbiehl View Post
I guess I should have been more specific when I asked what kind of fabric everyone uses for their appliqués. I meant do you use solids, blenders, or something else. I guess to some degree it depends on what the appliqué is...just curious where you get your scraps from. Thanks!!

Congrats on the new serger! Sorry you felt left out. It does seem like quite a few of us finally bit the bullet on the embroidery machine.

To those who have ordered from thread art...have you been happy with their thread and/or prewound bobbins?

Ps. My 770 shipped today!!
I already have the PE770 so not that left out... I have purchased from Thread art, and have had mixed results. I have a set of the larger (I think 1000M) cones and they are great. I ordered another and didn't realize they were the 500M smaller spools and they were TERRIBLE. They snagged the thread all the time, and the thread is wound so it literally falls off in a heap in your hand when you hold it. If you look at the reviews on Amazon for the smaller spools, they are all the same issues. I posted a review and actually got a response from them they are changing the spool design. So that's good. In the meantime though, make sure you get the larger cone shaped ones, not the cylinder shape, those were terrible. I broke a half dozen needles in 2 days because of the spools snagging. I took all that thread out and shipped it back to them with a letter to their customer service and while I haven't heard back, I also haven't had a single needle break since I stopped using that. The thread itself, I have the polyester, is great, I have been quite happy with it.
/rant

My scraps sort of come from all over. I have a bunch from quilting, I buy pretty much any and everything from the remnant rack when I am in Hancock or Joann. They are usually less than a yard and 1/2 price so it has been good for building up my stash little by little. Pretty much only buy cotton, though once or twice I have used a satiny fabric for a special project. I occasionally use felt too, especially for Mickey's ears. I like the thicker, fuzzy look to it. I use both solids and prints, I did read somewhere once upon a time to only use prints but I prefer the look of the solids in most cases. Especially faces. Someone much more experienced and knowledgeable than I am can maybe speak to the solids vs prints thing too.

I also first read that you should put heat n bond on every piece first, then iron the whole thing at the end. I did at first but I got lazy and I haven't noticed any difference in the outcome. Maybe someone has a thought on that? I just use spray adhesive to stick the scrap on, then trim around. that seems to be working OK. If there is a benefit or drawback to using heat n bond with every scrap, I would love to know it.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Etsy: JustJoshinKids • just-joshin.com
personal blog: go team wood dot com

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #1896
dianemom2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Grrr! I didn't get an e-mail about Heather's sale It's just as well though as I truly have no extra $$ to spend.

ANyone hear from Wendy? Hopefully she posted on FB. I hope things are going well for her.
Heather didn't send out an email about the sale. It was a secret sale. She shared the code on FB and then I posted it here.

I haven't heard from Wendy. I don't think she's had her surgery yet. I think it is next Wednesday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Since everyone is jumping on the embroidery machine deals, I finally decided to treat myself to a serger. I felt left out. I have been eyeing the Brother one that is under $200 on amazon for some time.

Thanks for the tips on Heather Sue's sale. I picked up a few I had been pining over for a while. It seems everyone had a sale this week, I spent more than I needed or wanted to, but got some fun stuff.
Congratulations on your new serger. I'm sure you'll love it. To get started there really isn't anything you need except for thread. You can do most of your sewing in white thread for a while until you can slowly build up your thread collection. Threading the serger is the hardest part of using it. I do have a few feet for my serger because it came with them but I rarely use them.

I did buy several designs on both Lynniepinnie's sale and on Heather's sale. I just hope my DH doesn't notice. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelynbiehl View Post
I guess I should have been more specific when I asked what kind of fabric everyone uses for their appliqués. I meant do you use solids, blenders, or something else. I guess to some degree it depends on what the appliqué is...just curious where you get your scraps from. Thanks!!

To those who have ordered from thread art...have you been happy with their thread and/or prewound bobbins?
I use mostly cotton fabrics. Some are scraps from sewing projects. Some are fat quarters that I've purchased and some are 1/2 yard cuts that I bought. I tend to use mostly calicos with small prints because I like how that looks. Many people prefer to use all solids because they like that look on their appliques. It is up to you since you are the artist making the creation.

I have been happy with all the thread I've purchased from Threadart. I bought lots of thread from them when I first started and 5 years later, I'm still using some of the colors. Some I've used up and replaced. I've never ordered their pre-wound bobbins so I can't comment on those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I also first read that you should put heat n bond on every piece first, then iron the whole thing at the end. I did at first but I got lazy and I haven't noticed any difference in the outcome. Maybe someone has a thought on that? I just use spray adhesive to stick the scrap on, then trim around. that seems to be working OK. If there is a benefit or drawback to using heat n bond with every scrap, I would love to know it.
I never used heat and bond with my appliques. I don't even use the spray adhesive. I hold my fabric in place so that is lays flat and then run the machine's tack down stitch. It works just fine that way.
__________________
DivineDesignsbyDiane on Etsy.





dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #1897
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran
 
VBAndrea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,500

FABRICS FOR APPLIQUES:
I generally like a same color print on a background -- for example I have several whites that have either white swirls, dots, splotches or florals on them. For hair I love doing prints with swirls -- makes the hair look like it has body or flow to it. I also like a lot of batik style / tie dye style fabrics for appliqueing. The only thing I tend to use solids for is flesh and I use a Kona cotton for that. I have tons of fabrics because I'm a member of fabric hoarders anonymous, so I always have things to grab from. My scrap drawer is overflowing because I've been sewing for 3 years now. When I started I'd buy fat quarters on sale or 1/4 yard of a fabric if I needed it. I also pick up anything in the remnant bin that I think will work.

I NEVER use heat and bond for appliques on my machine (I use it when I hand applique though) and like Diane, I don't use the Dritz spray for every scrap. I will use it to adhere my shirt to the stabilizer and I will use it for big pieces as well.
__________________
Andrea

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #1898
sewmess
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post


I'd wear that shirt if it was my size! But I love Mater.
He'll get into it, I'm sure.

Well, this Friday I have a new side-by-side fridge coming, purchased through Black Friday sales! We didn't loose much food - we were coming up on grocery day and it really was just the freezer...the refridgerator part stayed cool.

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day with my mom at an urgent care place. She had fallen and was in a lot of pain and stressing about if she had broken or fractured in anyway, her hip. No broken bones, just pulled/strained muscles and what will amount to some bruising.

So I didn't have a lot of time to sew, although I did get a project ready to applique. And as soon as I put it together, I thought of an easier way.
__________________

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #1899
ivey_family
Mouseketeer
 
ivey_family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 411

Hi Everyone!

So far we're having a great time! We made Rope Drop this morning and met Peter Pan, my biggest goals for the day. PP was awesome! And he loved our outfits. Here are dh and the kids waiting for the parade to start any minute now:


And the kids at the resort yesterday:


The weather swings from quite cold morning and night to hot right now, but it's all good!

Regards,
C.
__________________
Carrie - Wife to Jason; Mama to Noah (6), Micaiah (5) and Abigail (3)
Facebook: KiddleyDiveySewing

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/30-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #1900
love to stitch
Mouseketeer
 
love to stitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 217

We're having a wonderful day at magic kingdom & Epcot. The grand kids outfits have been a hit too.
__________________
Carol

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:41 PM   #1901
hey_jude
Mouseketeer
 
hey_jude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: close to London, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 172

Just wanted to share a Muppet themed dress I made for a United Way silent auction at work as well as chime in with answers on some of the questions on design sizes and thread and applique fabric:



These are all 4x4 designs on a size 4 Simply Sweet done with a variety of fabrics - Big Bird is a knit, Grover's nose is furry and the rest are cotton or cotton/poly blends. The thread is both Coates and Gutermann (because that's what the Fabricland closest to me sells).

Judy
__________________


Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #1902
Disney52303
Mouseketeer
 
Disney52303's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Ahhh Poor Judy probably throught I was a Crazy woman with my ALL CAPITALS PM!

I have been debating the pe770 all week. saw it had gone down in price a bit the other day. I checked it tonight to see it had gone down again. I was debating on where or not to wait and see if it went down a bit later so I tuned into Disboutique and saw Judy's post abouther another $30 off. The $30 didn't show up until the very end so poor Judy was dealing with my "where is it?" BUT it was there! so My Brother PE770 is now on its way!

THANK YOU JUDY!!!!


To Any Canadians Interested my price with duties and shipping was $706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelynbiehl View Post
Yeah!! My 770 is on its way too!! I have had it in my amazon cart for at least a year! This is the best price I have ever seen!! Def. more than I usually spend on myself for a Christmas present but my birthday is in feb. so I guess it's just Christmas and birthday rolled into one!! I'm soooo excited!! Thank you for posting about the extra 30$ off sale!!
Add me to the 770 list!! I bought mine today!!
__________________
DH: Me: DD(8): DS (4):

Lots of childhood trips with family. As adult, '95 - Allstar Sports, '03 - POR (for our Disney wedding at the Poly); ASMo for one night, Magic (Western) honeymoon, '05 - joined DVC!, '07 - SSR, '08 - ASMu, '09 - SSR, Wonder, '10 - SSR for Princess half marathon, HHI, '11 - POFQ, '12 - BLT, Fantasy Western, Magic to Canada, BWV

Upcoming:
5/23-2012-5/27/2012 BCV
11/9/13-11/14/13 AKL & 11/14/13-11/17/13 3 nighter on the Dream!
10/30/14 girls' weekend on the Dream
12/27/14 NYE Eastern on the Fantasy!



Disney52303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #1903
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran
 
PurpleEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Since everyone is jumping on the embroidery machine deals, I finally decided to treat myself to a serger. I felt left out. I have been eyeing the Brother one that is under $200 on amazon for some time. It has good reviews and seems pretty basic and functional, so I figured I would try it. What exactly do I need to get started? Thread, I assume, but are there different presser feet and such like for the sewing machine? (For the record, I got this one.) I did also order a book on serging and have been watching some you tube videos. I did use a serger one time, but it was in 6th grade home ec class way back in the late '80s so I think it is possible that things have changed and I forgot how to use it.
My basic desire with it is to use it for seams for clothing instead of sew, zig-zag, etc to save steps. I mostly sew with cotton quilting fabric, I haven't gotten into knits or anything yet. I would like to use it to hem also. I currently make all my bowling shirts lined because I am spoiled by the nice, hem-free way they go together. I also got some fleece to make the Carla C raglan Hoodies for xmas gifts. I put one together yesterday, I am pretty pleased with it, it is for my nephew, I will post a photo when I take one.
I have been working like crazy to get some projects going, including the advent calendar which I dreamed of doing last year and never even started. I am doing in the hoop banners and making "pockets" out of them sort of. I have 1-2 done. Only 23 left to go. Oh, and assembling it. Good thing my kids can't count past 7 or so, buys me some time...

Thanks for the tips on Heather Sue's sale. I picked up a few I had been pining over for a while. It seems everyone had a sale this week, I spent more than I needed or wanted to, but got some fun stuff.
Congrats on getting a serger. I only have 1 foot with my serger and it works well for what I do. I don't know how much time a serger would save as I still sew the edges together with a straight stitch and just finish the edges with the serger. I can't wait to see pictures of your new projects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacquelynbiehl View Post
I guess I should have been more specific when I asked what kind of fabric everyone uses for their appliqués. I meant do you use solids, blenders, or something else. I guess to some degree it depends on what the appliqué is...just curious where you get your scraps from. Thanks!!

Ps. My 770 shipped today!!
Congrats on the 770 coming your way. I use solids mostly but it really depends on what the piece is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I also first read that you should put heat n bond on every piece first, then iron the whole thing at the end. I did at first but I got lazy and I haven't noticed any difference in the outcome. Maybe someone has a thought on that? I just use spray adhesive to stick the scrap on, then trim around. that seems to be working OK. If there is a benefit or drawback to using heat n bond with every scrap, I would love to know it.
I only use heat n bond when I do appliques "by hand." I don't spray my fabric, I just hold the fabric down for the applique if I use the embroidery machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
Well, this Friday I have a new side-by-side fridge coming, purchased through Black Friday sales! We didn't loose much food - we were coming up on grocery day and it really was just the freezer...the refridgerator part stayed cool.

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day with my mom at an urgent care place. She had fallen and was in a lot of pain and stressing about if she had broken or fractured in anyway, her hip. No broken bones, just pulled/strained muscles and what will amount to some bruising.

So I didn't have a lot of time to sew, although I did get a project ready to applique. And as soon as I put it together, I thought of an easier way.
I am sure the new fridge will work well for you. I am sorry to hear that your mom fell and had lots of pain as a result. I am glad that nothing was broken. I hope she will recover quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Hi Everyone!

So far we're having a great time! We made Rope Drop this morning and met Peter Pan, my biggest goals for the day. PP was awesome! And he loved our outfits. Here are dh and the kids waiting for the parade to start any minute now:


And the kids at the resort yesterday:


The weather swings from quite cold morning and night to hot right now, but it's all good!

Regards,
C.
I am glad that you got to meet Peter Pan. Thanks for the live update with pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
We're having a wonderful day at magic kingdom & Epcot. The grand kids outfits have been a hit too.
I am glad to hear that you had a great day. I hope the rest of the trip will be just as nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
Just wanted to share a Muppet themed dress I made for a United Way silent auction at work as well as chime in with answers on some of the questions on design sizes and thread and applique fabric:



These are all 4x4 designs on a size 4 Simply Sweet done with a variety of fabrics - Big Bird is a knit, Grover's nose is furry and the rest are cotton or cotton/poly blends. The thread is both Coates and Gutermann (because that's what the Fabricland closest to me sells).

Judy
Great job on the outfit. I hope it raised a lot of money for United Way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
Add me to the 770 list!! I bought mine today!!
Congrats!
__________________
DH Me



Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 PM   #1904
jacquelynbiehl
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16

Thanks for all the advice!! Everyone here is soooo helpful!! Thanks soo much!!
jacquelynbiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #1905
dianemom2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Hi Everyone!




And the kids at the resort yesterday:
Looks like you are having a great trip. Thanks for sharing your outfits in action!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
Just wanted to share a Muppet themed dress I made for a United Way silent auction at work as well as chime in with answers on some of the questions on design sizes and thread and applique fabric:

What a cute dress and how great that you made it for a silent auction. I love the different Muppets on the dress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
Add me to the 770 list!! I bought mine today!!
That's so exciting!!!!
__________________
DivineDesignsbyDiane on Etsy.





dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: