Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

OT Need advice re American Girl Dolls

Hi Folks,

Sorry to go off topic, but I thought there might be some Disney moms with daughters who can help me with this. My 2 (8 & 6) nieces love American Girl dolls. I got the Molly / Emily friends doll set with book and accessories and a Molly holiday dress and Emily Holiday dress for them for Christmas. I just found out that that they both did very well on their report cards and I would like to get them something else to go with their American Girl gifts.
So I'm thinking of one of the 2 options and was wondering if anyone has an opinion of which one my nieces might like better.

Option 1: A mini American girl doll (Julie and Kit) and the Julie and Kit fun books (on sale)

Option #2: Another outfit for each of their dolls and the Molly & Emily paper doll cut out book.

Do you think they'd prefer the mini dolls or another outfit?

Thanks for any input and opinions
Wendybird55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
3Gsandme
DIS Veteran

My daughter would have preferred another outfit.

My November 2015 PTR-Heigh Ho Ho HO!
3Gsandme is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
mrsw94
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Gsandme View Post
My daughter would have preferred another outfit.

Yep, I agree!! I also want to say that's very generous of you!!
mrsw94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
Mrs.Malone
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendybird55 View Post
Hi Folks,

Sorry to go off topic, but I thought there might be some Disney moms with daughters who can help me with this. My 2 (8 & 6) nieces love American Girl dolls. I got the Molly / Emily friends doll set with book and accessories and a Molly holiday dress and Emily Holiday dress for them for Christmas. I just found out that that they both did very well on their report cards and I would like to get them something else to go with their American Girl gifts.
So I'm thinking of one of the 2 options and was wondering if anyone has an opinion of which one my nieces might like better.

Option 1: A mini American girl doll (Julie and Kit) and the Julie and Kit fun books (on sale)

Option #2: Another outfit for each of their dolls and the Molly & Emily paper doll cut out book.

Do you think they'd prefer the mini dolls or another outfit?

Thanks for any input and opinions
What a generous aunt!

My daughter would prefer another option #2 for sure.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Molly and emily are being retired so get their stuff while you can!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

Thanks..I was thinking another outfit would be a better choice...only problem is there are more choices for Molly than Emily. The PJ set for Molly is nice and it comes with slippers, but the one for Emily doesn't come with slippers and the only way to get them is buy them with the robe set.
Maybe I'll just get Mollys PJs for both or I saw another PJ set - I think it was for Rebecca (pink satin) that came with slippers.

I'll figure it out, but I think it will be another outfit. My nieces are real sweethearts and I love 'em to pieces and it's fun buying girly things as I have a son and for him it's all about Legos and Disney Infinity and Disney Villains (not that there's anything wrong with that!). But I am planning a special Disney gift for him. He LOVES Villains and wishes he could get more Villain autographs (he only has Hook, Smee, The Queen and Lady Tremaine and stepsisters). A friend of mine is now working at Disney World and she is going to gather up as many Villain autographs as she can so I can give him an autograph book of Villains for Christmas. Actually his Elf on the shelf Elvin will give it to him as his Elf always has a special gift for my son on Christmas Eve before he goes back to North Pole to be with Santa. I just love shopping for kids!
Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #7
SEA333
Mouseketeer

My DD would go with the outfit, too, rather than the minis, but what she would like even more is one of the animals. She is 9. I think the animals are between $20-35.
SEA333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA333 View Post
My DD would go with the outfit, too, rather than the minis, but what she would like even more is one of the animals. She is 9. I think the animals are between $20-35.
If you haven't ordered already, I'd second this! My DDs 10 and 8 don't seem to care much about the mini dolls. They'd much rather have an outfit or pet. Molly and Emily each have a dog, and those will be going away soon. You're a great aunt! I'm sure your nieces will LOVE their gifts.
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

Yea - I was thinking of the companion dogs for Molly and Emily (I got them dogs last year but different ones). And if I did this I would get the Molly and Emily paper doll book for each - it's on sale. I haven't ordered yet..I've been out all day and usually do my online shopping at night when son and hubby are in bed and it's nice and quiet. Thanks for the input...it can be addicting and if it wasn't so expensive I'd get outfits, dogs and accessories for the dolls but then no on else could get Christmas gifts!
Old 11-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yea - I was thinking of the companion dogs for Molly and Emily (I got them dogs last year but different ones). And if I did this I would get the Molly and Emily paper doll book for each - it's on sale. I haven't ordered yet..I've been out all day and usually do my online shopping at night when son and hubby are in bed and it's nice and quiet. Thanks for the input...it can be addicting and if it wasn't so expensive I'd get outfits, dogs and accessories for the dolls but then no on else could get Christmas gifts!
It sure is addicting! I lose all sense of reason. I buy most of my kids' clothes on sale/clearance. But I'll buy that tiny dress for twice the price for a doll. My reasoning is that the doll won't outgrow it, so she can wear it forever.
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
scootch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Malone View Post
What a generous aunt!

My daughter would prefer another option #2 for sure.
ditto
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
RMAMom
DIS Veteran

I jut want to point out that if you search Etsy for 18 inch doll clothes you will find bunches at much cheaper prices

[/url]
RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
figment41
Mouseketeer

I agree with the pet or outfit.

Have you considered a group gift of a styling chair or hair accesories or even the food. Julie's party set is nice or even the breakfast or lasagna set or cute. There are enough pieces for them to share and let their imaginations go.

figment41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Wendybird55
DIS Veteran

I've been back and forth about non-American-Girl outfits and accessories. I've seen lots of nice looking clothes and accessories for 18" dolls that are not American Girl, but am not sure of the quality. Plus, though I know it's shallow and not a good lesson for kids, I wonder how a non-American-Girl tem will go over for a gift.

Does anyone know if there is a big difference in quality between American Girl clothes and accessories and non-American Girl clothes and accessories?
Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
rainydayplay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post
I jut want to point out that if you search Etsy for 18 inch doll clothes you will find bunches at much cheaper prices
I've gotten nice stuff on ebay for less than I've found it on etsy. You can also get some accessories (I was looking at a doll-sized laptop or ipad, etc., on ebay...)

With that said, you can also make some mini items yourself. If the girls are into crafting, there are some crafting sets/books that they can use to make other things. DD recently got the AG Star book, and it had several props that she had to make, plus ideas for more, so she can play that her doll is acting on a TV show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment41 View Post
I agree with the pet or outfit.

Have you considered a group gift of a styling chair or hair accessories or even the food. Julie's party set is nice or even the breakfast or lasagna set or cute. There are enough pieces for them to share and let their imaginations go.
I was thinking in this direction, too. My DD has a My American Girl doll that looks a lot like her. She asked for Saige for Christmas, so I bought the Saige starter set (the doll, both books, Saige's accessory set, Saige's sweater outfit, Saige's parade outfit and parade hat and helmet. DD wants to be an artist, so I got Saige's Painting Set, too.

You could probably get a playset that they could share for the cost of those outfits or mini dolls. School bag set, table and chairs, Snow Much Fun, food sets...I love the Sugar and Spice baking set.

Quote:
I've been back and forth about non-American-Girl outfits and accessories. I've seen lots of nice looking clothes and accessories for 18" dolls that are not American Girl, but am not sure of the quality. Plus, though I know it's shallow and not a good lesson for kids, I wonder how a non-American-Girl tem will go over for a gift.

Does anyone know if there is a big difference in quality between American Girl clothes and accessories and non-American Girl clothes and accessories?
Be careful what you buy of store-bought items made for 18" dolls. Check online reviews before you buy a particular brand. Some of the things don't fit the dolls as well as you'd hope.

The brand sold at Walmart fits alright, but can be tight on some of the outfits. Same with the brand at Target. I don't know that the quality is quite as good as what you would buy through AG, but you can definitely get more for your $. Both have accessories that will definitely work that are way less expensive (around $3 for a pair of shoes, a hat, etc.)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: