Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #1411
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

...I did "walk" the Boardwalk reservation for 3 days and am glad I did. Of course I am now terrified that it will be too noisy for Jeff and he will whine about it for 6 nights, even though he was the most insistent on having that. I'm packing earplugs.
plans to start a business so....we will see how that all plays out.

As far as Boardwalk noise, I recommend bringing a white-noise machine with you. We don't travel without one anymore, it really makes a big difference! We have one in each bedroom at home (we started using them when my oldest was a baby, it allowed DH and I to watch TV at night without disturbing her) and I'd have a hard time sleeping without one now.
It especially makes sense when you travel, though...when you're in a situation where you can't control the noise of those around you
There are some very small ones.

Glad you got what you wanted for NYE!! We also just made our plans for next year, and availability at BWV in 1-BR SV was wide open.

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #1412
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I hope you take a break today and enjoy your day!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CYNTHIA!!
Thanks Sheree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Is it your birthday today, Cynthia?

Glad I caught it on time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ALLES LIEBE UND GUTE ZU DEINEM GEBURTSTAG!
Thanks Karin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Happy Birthday, Cynthia.

Thanks Kathy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Happy Birthday!

Jill in CO
Thanks Jill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!
Thanks Tammie!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #1413
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
As far as Boardwalk noise, I recommend bringing a white-noise machine with you. We don't travel without one anymore, it really makes a big difference! We have one in each bedroom at home (we started using them when my oldest was a baby, it allowed DH and I to watch TV at night without disturbing her) and I'd have a hard time sleeping without one now.
It especially makes sense when you travel, though...when you're in a situation where you can't control the noise of those around you
There are some very small ones.

Glad you got what you wanted for NYE!! We also just made our plans for next year, and availability at BWV in 1-BR SV was wide open.
Is that what you booked? That is wonderful. It seems like 1B's have a lot more options or go later than the studios or 2B's. Which I guess makes sense since a studio sleeps the same but is a lot less points. So, we will be neighbors? What are your dates?

I'm double glad my ressies are handled as, as of today, I'm locked out of the site. So frustrating. It keeps trying to link my member account to by Disney "my experience" one and then comes back as having invalid numbers. Which they aren't and apparently is a known issue but the end effect is I can't get into the members site until it's resolved. At least it's working on the Disney Exp side of things, I can see the ressies are still there.

It's going to be an adjustment being in studio in Aulani after all the 1B's all summer. I am going to really miss not having that full kitchen and laundry.

I've always wondered how Jeff would do with a white noise machine, he is SO ridiculously sensitive I've often wondered if it would be it's own distraction or annoyance. Sounds that will lull me to sleep, rain on the roof, the surf, the rush of the river at our cabin...keep him awake.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #1414
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Is that what you booked? That is wonderful. It seems like 1B's have a lot more options or go later than the studios or 2B's. Which I guess makes sense since a studio sleeps the same but is a lot less points. So, we will be neighbors? What are your dates?

I'm double glad my ressies are handled as, as of today, I'm locked out of the site. So frustrating. It keeps trying to link my member account to by Disney "my experience" one and then comes back as having invalid numbers. Which they aren't and apparently is a known issue but the end effect is I can't get into the members site until it's resolved. At least it's working on the Disney Exp side of things, I can see the ressies are still there.

It's going to be an adjustment being in studio in Aulani after all the 1B's all summer. I am going to really miss not having that full kitchen and laundry.

I've always wondered how Jeff would do with a white noise machine, he is SO ridiculously sensitive I've often wondered if it would be it's own distraction or annoyance. Sounds that will lull me to sleep, rain on the roof, the surf, the rush of the river at our cabin...keep him awake.
Our dates do overlap, ours are 12/26/13 through 1/3/14.

I called MS to make the ressie, because we have two different member numbers (1st contract we bought direct, but the 2nd one was resale) and I had to transfer points between accounts, so I didn't deal with the website this time. 2BRs are definitely harder to get, but while having more space would mean we wouldn't have to bring the inflatable bed, the kids claim not to mind taking turns on it so we can use less points!

The DVC website is annoying even when it's working properly; I hope your account gets fixed soon!

I get what you're saying about the white noise machine, not everybody likes them.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #1415
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Sorry that I am late, but I still wanted to say Happy Birthday! I hope you had a gret day!

I am very sorry that you have to deal with so much illness in your circle of friends and family. I can only imagine how straining that must be!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 02-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #1416
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Our dates do overlap, ours are 12/26/13 through 1/3/14.

I called MS to make the ressie, because we have two different member numbers (1st contract we bought direct, but the 2nd one was resale) and I had to transfer points between accounts, so I didn't deal with the website this time. 2BRs are definitely harder to get, but while having more space would mean we wouldn't have to bring the inflatable bed, the kids claim not to mind taking turns on it so we can use less points!
Oh interesting, I thought if you bought resale if it was in the same UY it kept the same membership #, only changing if the UY's were different. Is that not the case?

I love less points! I will need to get an inflatable twin bed for our trip, do you keep one in an owners locker or just bring it down with you?

for overlapping dates!

Quote:
The DVC website is annoying even when it's working properly; I hope your account gets fixed soon!
Looks like it's hitting everyone, lots of chatter on FB and the DVC forum about it. What a pain.

Quote:
I get what you're saying about the white noise machine, not everybody likes them.
I probably wouldn't mind it at all and Evan uses his radio as one sometimes (it has a white noise feature) but Jeff is my problem child. I told him we needed to pack earplugs and he wasn't happy about it and I reminded him that he was the one who was insistent on BW view. Which at anytime would be louder I think but certainly around NYE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Sorry that I am late, but I still wanted to say Happy Birthday! I hope you had a gret day!
Thanks! It was a nice day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I am very sorry that you have to deal with so much illness in your circle of friends and family. I can only imagine how straining that must be!
It really seems unending, just when someone gets better, someone gets worse. Jeff's mom had a nasty fall and we are waiting to see if she will need surgery for nerve damage. Sigh. It really does make you want to run away to Disney.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #1417
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

All caught up here and

I am late but I hope you enjoyed your day.

You are fabulous at doing the big family planning thing. Not sure if I could keep my sanity.

for the boys and the music festival. Ireland - such a great carrot to dangle.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 02-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #1418
Stew_Mouse
Mouseketeer

Really enjoy your reviews! You are an engaging storyteller!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #1419
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat
All caught up here and

I am late but I hope you enjoyed your day.

You are fabulous at doing the big family planning thing. Not sure if I could keep my sanity.

for the boys and the music festival. Ireland - such a great carrot to dangle.
Thanks! It was a nice day. Well as nice as it can be between work and kids school projects lol.

I think the thing that helps on this trip is the fact that the whole gang is pretty darn into Disney and I think once logistics are more set it will be fun for all to plan together. I just need to be ok with others doing it on their own timeframe and that's a little hard. I do have faith it will all work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew_Mouse
Really enjoy your reviews! You are an engaging storyteller!
Thank you so much!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:35 AM   #1420
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh interesting, I thought if you bought resale if it was in the same UY it kept the same membership #, only changing if the UY's were different. Is that not the case?

I love less points! I will need to get an inflatable twin bed for our trip, do you keep one in an owners locker or just bring it down with you?

for overlapping dates!
We have February and August use years...and two membership #s. It would be so much easier if they were the same!

We shlep the bed back and forth with us - it fits nicely in a rolling carry-on with some room to spare! We actually tried OL when they first started, it's a great idea for some people, but we found it to be kind of expensive for us. We were going to WDW more frequently back then, and mostly wanted OL for the bed, but for various reasons we quit after a year.

Don't forget to pack a twin fitted sheet, it doesn't take up much room and it makes the bed more comfortable

Old 02-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #1421
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
We have February and August use years...and two membership #s. It would be so much easier if they were the same!
I'd mess something up, I know it!

Quote:
We shlep the bed back and forth with us - it fits nicely in a rolling carry-on with some room to spare! We actually tried OL when they first started, it's a great idea for some people, but we found it to be kind of expensive for us. We were going to WDW more frequently back then, and mostly wanted OL for the bed, but for various reasons we quit after a year.

Don't forget to pack a twin fitted sheet, it doesn't take up much room and it makes the bed more comfortable
Mary Ellen and I are considering sharing an OL, which might be the perfect compromise and bring the cost down but we will see. With the cost of checking luggage I worry about how much space the bed will take up but we will definitely need one and bring a sheet. Did you find there was enough extra pillows/blankets in the villa that a sheet was all you needed?
Old 02-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #1422
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'd mess something up, I know it!
Yeah, it totally confuses me! But, in 12 years, we haven't made a mistake (probably due to my DH, I don't have a math mind!).

Quote:
Mary Ellen and I are considering sharing an OL, which might be the perfect compromise and bring the cost down but we will see. With the cost of checking luggage I worry about how much space the bed will take up but we will definitely need one and bring a sheet. Did you find there was enough extra pillows/blankets in the villa that a sheet was all you needed?
Since joining DVC, we have not checked a bag (with the exception of the trip when we filled up our OL). Even with the bed, the 4 of us travel with two rolling carry-ons and two shoulder bags. It's a personal challenge for me to travel as lightly as possible Yaay for the washer/dryer!

In the 1BR, there is supposed to be a bag in the front hall closet with a pillow, 2 sheets, and a blanket, and the sofa bed is already made up so you shouldn't need anything extra.

The bed we currently have is a double-height twin with an electric pump inside, from amazon.

Old 02-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #1423
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Yeah, it totally confuses me! But, in 12 years, we haven't made a mistake (probably due to my DH, I don't have a math mind!).
Sounds like you've got it down if it hasn't been an issue in 12 year!

Quote:
Since joining DVC, we have not checked a bag (with the exception of the trip when we filled up our OL). Even with the bed, the 4 of us travel with two rolling carry-ons and two shoulder bags. It's a personal challenge for me to travel as lightly as possible Yaay for the washer/dryer!

In the 1BR, there is supposed to be a bag in the front hall closet with a pillow, 2 sheets, and a blanket, and the sofa bed is already made up so you shouldn't need anything extra.

The bed we currently have is a double-height twin with an electric pump inside, from amazon.
I'll check amazon, thanks for the tip! We do end up checking 1-2 just for liquids. If it weren't for that we might be able to go completely carryon. We always seem to have something that is over the carryon limit for liquids so do check at least 1 bag. With a December trip though, and the need for layers, that becomes a much bigger packing challenge for me. I am hoping to keep it at just one checked bag but it will probably be a large one!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #1424
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Pirates at Sea

Where were we?
Back in our stateroom having wine, fruit and cheese. Sigh. That sounds so perfectly lovely right now. The E's were off to ride the Aquaduck and without them, or K, we didn't feel the need to hit the comedy show again. With arrangements made to meet back at the room prior to heading to dinner the kids took off. I finished up the FE bags for the next day and we both showered and changed. While at Palo we had peeked in at Remy, but more importantly at a lovely little lounge called Meridian that is in between the two. Our plan, now that we were unexpectedly (again!) kid free, was to have a drink before dinner there!

It had a lovely interior, and outside seating area! Though it functions as the waiting spot for both Palo and Remy dinner, it was surprisingly...empty.

It was still windy out so we chose a semi sheltered spot

Lovely as it was, the wind got to us. Or more accurately, me. My hair was whipping my face and really it didn't feel terribly good when that happened. Not to mention it then getting stuck in my lipgloss and making it hard to drink my bubbly. So we moved inside.
Clearly a climate change, check out the condensation on my glass!

We loved the travel themed interior here and tried to get a shot of the 2 of us with the cool luggage strapped in seating

We even liked the wallpaper

Sadly, with that it was time to head back to the stateroom. Where...we didn't find any children! We were literally on the verge of leaving the room when they came dashing in. Apparently Evan, who is about 80 pounds soaking wet, had gotten stuck on the Aquaduck riding solo and had gotten an earful from others waiting in line, mad apparently that he’d gotten stuck and slowed down the line. Sucks to be a skinny thing sometimes. As a result they were late and scrambled to get ready for pirate night. Dressed up as much as we were going to be, we headed to dinner. Tonight we'd be dining at:

Animators! The E's favorite.

I am not sure if Evan was tipping his hat, or what here

He does look like he’s up to something, doesn't he?

A spectacularly bad picture of everyone

Apparently I had a crab cake appetizer

Black Beard's Jumbo Crab Cake - with golden raisin-carrot and coconut slaw served with a spicy Calypso dressing

The interior on the Dream is VERY different than that of the Wonder so I enjoyed checking it out

One of the boys, and apparently Jeff, got pot stickers for their app

Pirates Golden "Pot Stickers" - oriental pork "dumplings" deep fried and served with a tamarind-ginger soy sauce and pickled vegetables

I think this was my entrée but am not positive. I think I’d been leaning towards the Mahi, was told this was outstanding and went with it and if memory serves…it was!

Castaway Chicken Breast - rubbed with Pirate Island Spice, rice and beans, and fried okra on rich spiced glaze

Evan's entree

Jack Sparrow's Barbecue Marinated Beef Short Ribs - Rubbed beef short rips with tamarind-barbecue sauce and served with onion red bliss mashed potatoes and plantain chip

Evan's Dessert

Fruit Cobbler - with vanilla ice cream

This one was mine

Crunch Time Sundae - Rum Raisin Ice Cream, Pineapple, Whipped Cream and Croquant

Our tablemates were getting in on the food porn pictures by this point

Rum Soaked Chocolate Cake - with raspberry glaze and whipped cream

At some point during dinner, they come by and take your pictures. I’d really liked ours from the previous year and these weren't too awful either so I did buy them!

Continued in next post
Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #1425
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Pirates at sea, con't.

Continued from previous

Evan got a hold of my phone and thought it would be really fun to take pictures of me enjoying my dessert. I'm not sure I found it as entertaining as he did! I am sorry these are so huge, the new photobucket is a nightmare, I change the rotation and the pictures get bigger and I am not motivated to go in and try to resize things on top of it. Very frustrating

]

Dinner over, we strolled out.

Apparently Eric needed a rest after all that eating

And perked up enough for a cheesy blurry picture in front of one of the backdrops available for photo sessions (which clearly was over at this point).

On our way up for the pirate party we wandered in and out of the stores with the E's showing us all the items they were eyeing to spend their souvenir money on. We had agreed they'd wait until after our Castaway Cay day as they’d be bummed if they spent it all now, then found something tomorrow but couldn't get it and all of the things they liked seemed to have good inventory. Kendall took off to meet up with other teens in the club, they had their own fireworks party plans.

Arriving on deck we split up, boys on the lower deck in front of the actual show and adults up above. Close enough to where we could see them and the party but not get caught in the actual crush. Win win for us!
Pretty soon it was time to start (and sorry they are pretty awful pics!)

Yeah, I admit. The show didn't do much for me but it was cute.
Soon enough though, fireworks at sea! A first for us

And…that’s all I got picture wise as I could see quite quickly they weren't turning out. It was fun, I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was pretty cool to be outside on deck, seeing them. We'd agreed to meet at the room immediately following fireworks and they did. We had a fun Towel Animal awaiting us.

And an orangutan still hanging around

Continued in next post

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: