Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #1396
MEK
DIS Veteran

I'm very sorry to hear about Jeff's coworker as well, but happy to hear the fundraiser for your other friends was very successful.

The E's sound very busy but I am happy to hear they are both so passionate about music.

France this summer for K sounds wonderful.

Yeah for getting your reservation. Boo for the difficulties that are bound to arise for the people unsure about their accommodations.

However, I gotta say that for the money the rest of the group could probably find a rental car and a house for cheaper than POP. How about Bonnet Creek as a possibility for the rest of the crew? I'm honestly not sure how many still need accommodations. You know I always have trouble following your trip plans.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 02-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #1397
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

Oy. Just. Oy!

All you've got going on makes my head spin. Life just gets nuts and we just have to plow through it, right? We are in the midst of one of our busiest weeks, and I will be so glad when it's over!! Sunday night! Luckily for me, I get to go on a girls' weekend scrapbooking tomorrow night! Have to come back early for more kid stuff, but that's okay. I get a couple nights/days away!

I'm glad things are working out (at least some of it!) for your future trips!
France sounds great!
How fun that the Es are getting so into the music and playing together too.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-07-2013, 04:29 AM   #1398
MeMom
DIS Veteran

You certainly have a full plate.

I am glad that the boys are into music. I have always been a bit envious of people who can play instruments, as I have had no talent for that ever.

A trip to Ireland will be a nice perk! How cool!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #1399
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Just wow! That is a lot going on!

I'm glad that some of the sadder events of your week were counterbalanced by some really special family events. I love the way you shared the importance of the 6th grade concert- it made it a lot more meaningful to read about.

I can't even imagine what it is like trying to plan a trip for a group as large as you have for NYE, especially with so many people with situations "up in the air"

And who in their right mind would go to Disney with all those teens?

Oh. Wait.

Never mind!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #1400
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
First of all, I'm sorry to hear about some of the bad things that have been going on, but at least you've been able to find silver linings amidst the doom and gloom.
I have to or I'd lose my mind! There is always a silver lining though, sometimes they are hard to find.

Quote:
And I'm not really sure what to make of the fact that your company was appreciated as a chaperone...
I'm not either!

Quote:
And for the upcoming trip planning. Good luck. It looks like you'll have a lot of challenges to work through. On the positive side, it should keep you busy planning Disney trips and I can think of worse things to be doing.
Oh no more challenges than any other trip and yes, planning Disney trips is a great way to keep busy and make the time go by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Wow! You've got a lot going on ...........
I would be overwhelmed with it all.

I think you've got just as much Karin but your trip is MUCH closer! Actually more than one of your trips is closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
So your godson is coming to visit me in Austria? Any idea where he will be staying? What about aunt Cynthia coming to visit him ?
It's a year long exchange student program. He won't know who the host family is for quite some time so no idea exactly where in Austria. He just found out the country about a month ago. He's actually not supposed to have visitors, or come home to visit, to help with the immersion. Or at least it's strongly discouraged. It will likely not play out that way as my brother does live in Germany so I know that finagling is already going on for holidays etc. But it does mean he will miss the family Disney trip which we are all bummed about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
All I know is....if anyone can stay on top of that turning world, it's you!
At the moment I'm trying to let it spin on it's own. Control what you can and let the rest go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm glad that your boys are staying involved with music. Lauren's still doing marching band in college. James is in junior-high band, which in our district is the tough one -- I don't want to bash the teacher, but kids seem to lose interest at this point, but they enjoy it if they can last until high school. Marlene is the funny one -- she was dead-set against marching band a couple of years ago. She wanted to do concert band, but not marching band. She was even working out every day over the summer (a couple of years ago) so that she could make the volleyball team, in hopes of getting out of marching band. It didn't work, but it turns out that she LOVES marching band. And now she's a huge advocate. She went to James' Christmas concert and sought-out the 8th grade flute players to make sure that they were going to continue-on next year.
That is great that Lauren is still doing it in college! I only did it for 2 years of HS and then moved on to cheer and flags so was peripherally involved in marching band but did vocal jazz for the last 2 years of HS. Jeff did it through MS but at some point bailed and he really regrets it. It's a pretty big focus in our house and it's part of all 4 kids lives and that makes us happy. Although I'm not sure music major would have been our first choice for Taylor, he is enjoying it and Kendall loves choir. The boys have spoken of having interest in doing marching band in college but who knows how they will feel by then. We are very lucky to have an incredible middle school program but even with that it's hard to compete with all the other things kids want to do, I've seen enrollment in music go down just in the 3 years I've been tracking it. Evan has a huge group at his grade but the 7th grade group is quite a bit smaller. I do believe there is a strong correlation between music and academic success and hope they continue. Of course knowing that the HS band will be going to Ireland to march in the St. Patrick's Day parade in Dublin is a pretty good carrot to dangle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
Wow, you've got a lot going on! I'm sorry to hear about your DH's coworker who passed, and your friends who are battling cancer. I'm glad that the fundraiser went so well though - it is wonderful to see people pull together for things like that.
Both events were really nice. Sad but nice at the same time.

Quote:
Buying stuff for Aulani must be exciting! I really need to get there some day.
I wish that day was sooner, May seems SO far away!

Quote:
I hope that you can sort out your rooms, people, and dates situations without too much trouble! There are way more "wildcards" than I'd be comfortable with!
Honestly, they are big people and they need to sort it out. I'm really trying to focus on what I can control and what I can't. They seem more interested in plotting ADR's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Our weeks sound similar in terms of sadness. I leave for my cousin's funeral on Friday. I'm chalking up Feb 2013 to total crap.
Nothing is total crap. You've started to plan an amazing trip for Josh and I bet there is something else magical in the midst of all the other yuck too. It's just hard to see.

Quote:
Bathing suit shopping? I need to do that too but emotionally I;m not ready.
Emotionally

Ok that's funny. Online baby, that's the only way to go. Plus in Jan/Feb you can sometimes snap up great items on sale. If it doesn't fit, it goes back, easy peasy! 2 years ago I snagged a bunch of pieces up for dirt cheap but they are starting to show their wear a bit. More importantly I wanted something that if we did anything more active in the surf, that I wouldn't have to worry about KWIM? Sadly the deals weren't quite as good but I did get one I like that could take a good hit by the waves if needed. They are so stinking expensive it drives me nuts. I've found 2 brands I like that fit right so I'm at the point where honestly, I don't look elsewhere. If nothing else it will keep me on track as it is a size smaller than the previous ones and I swear I'm somewhere in between the 2 sizes. It works but I have to be good between now and then. Healthy fear is not a bad thing.

Shorts though are the bane of my existence. It should not be that hard to find shorts.

Quote:
I'm glad you got your villas!
Me too!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #1401
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
All I can say is wow! I don't know how you do it.

I'm sorry to hear about Jeff's coworker.

That was a nice success in the fundraising department for your friends. Congratulations.

Nice purchases for your trips.

And glad you got your rooms for NYE. Sorry your mom and dad are being undecisive and hope that all gets settled soon.
I'm not sure undecisive is the right word, just not aligned at the moment. They will figure it out. Lots of strong folks with strong opinions and I'm sure it will work out.

The rest, is just life, it just keeps us busy doesn't it

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Cynthia , How in the World do you do it !!!My mind is spinning !!!!I tookthe day off today from my full time job as I had 2 meetings for my part time jobSome day off!! Well it started off wonderfully with Breakfast out with Kyle and Judy as Kyle was receiving Student of the montn for his class , so of course I had to go !! Then I was OFF to meeting #1 and then to the car wash as some sweet sould had egged my car , took 2 trips through plus detailing to remove it Not even sure if it happened on my block or at work !! Then it was time to pay billsand off to the Post Office to mail them where I encounted a huge line as some guy was mailing 50+ packages and a woman whose english was poor thought the guy could pay her bills I think !!It was ridiculous !! Then it was time for meeting #2 Sooo not exactly a fun filled day
I am EXHAUSTED reading that Rosie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I'm very sorry to hear about Jeff's coworker as well, but happy to hear the fundraiser for your other friends was very successful.

The E's sound very busy but I am happy to hear they are both so passionate about music.

France this summer for K sounds wonderful.

Yeah for getting your reservation. Boo for the difficulties that are bound to arise for the people unsure about their accommodations.

However, I gotta say that for the money the rest of the group could probably find a rental car and a house for cheaper than POP. How about Bonnet Creek as a possibility for the rest of the crew? I'm honestly not sure how many still need accommodations. You know I always have trouble following your trip plans.
Were it at a different time of year I think that could be a great option and it's
been discussed. 3 issues with it. One, my BIL does NOT want to share a room with anyone. Apparently that extends to a 1B/2B villa and presumably a house. Second, parking if they are staying offsite will be a nightmare for them. Total, utter nightmare. Lots closed this year, many times and as offiste guests if they do level closings, they won't get in. Third, again due to the crowds and time of year, having those extra magic hours really will be critical.

They don't want to rent a car or be tied up dealing with getting in and out of the parks at those times. Getting back to an offsite resort on NYE I've read can take up to 2 hours if you are driving

Right now, officially, it is just the 2 couples that need rooms. My parent and then youngest SIS/BIL. I get the not sharing, my mom snores like a Banshee and BIL/SIS are in many ways, still newlyweds and this will be his first big family trip (and he comes from a SMALL family) but it does drive up the cost for them. There are the other wildcards but officially, now, it's just those 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Oy. Just. Oy!

All you've got going on makes my head spin. Life just gets nuts and we just have to plow through it, right? We are in the midst of one of our busiest weeks, and I will be so glad when it's over!! Sunday night! Luckily for me, I get to go on a girls' weekend scrapbooking tomorrow night! Have to come back early for more kid stuff, but that's okay. I get a couple nights/days away!

I'm glad things are working out (at least some of it!) for your future trips!
France sounds great!
How fun that the Es are getting so into the music and playing together too.
France will be cool. The big bummer as compared to the E's trip is that as best I can tell...no fundraising. So it's a big chunk of change to come up with. Thankfully with the boys we will have 2+ years to be raising funds and the band/school works very hard at that piece of it. Have a great girls weekend, that sounds fun! Life is nuts. Heads down and forge on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
You certainly have a full plate.

I am glad that the boys are into music. I have always been a bit envious of people who can play instruments, as I have had no talent for that ever.

A trip to Ireland will be a nice perk! How cool!
To a degree it's like anything, if you work at it and have passion, it can go a lot farther than natural talent. My dad is tone deaf (I swear) and yet he's taken piano lessons as an adult, bell choir, you name it, at least trying. He still doesn't have an ear but it's fun to see him try.

Eric has more natural talent at it than Evan but Evan works a lot harder and is more passionate and it really shows. I can't imagine a life or a house without music. It's what brought Jeff and I together (Jazz specifically) and I'm thrilled to see it living in our kids.

Ireland will be cool. Jeff and I will likely go but NOT chaperone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Just wow! That is a lot going on!

I'm glad that some of the sadder events of your week were counterbalanced by some really special family events. I love the way you shared the importance of the 6th grade concert- it made it a lot more meaningful to read about.
Isn't it funny how something like that can be such a pivotal moment? You just never know!

There is always good, sometimes it's harder to look for it but it's always there. Evan did floor me with telling me he was glad I was at the Jazz Festival though. And literally hung with me a fair amount, as did his friends

I'm sure it will never happen again.

Quote:
I can't even imagine what it is like trying to plan a trip for a group as large as you have for NYE, especially with so many people with situations "up in the air"
Breathe in the pretty colors, breathe out the bad. That's my mantra

That and I can only control me. Okay I might control Jeff and the E's too.

Quote:
And who in their right mind would go to Disney with all those teens?

Oh. Wait.

Never mind!

At least I'm related to all of them! They are good kids and blessed to have cousins close in age that they are close to but OH the volume when together?

It will be...interesting and I confess to hoping that not all go for all 9 nights so we have some just for the 4 of us. Just a couple but that would really help I think.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #1402
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Do you ever stop!? I get tired just reading about it.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #1403
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Yes, Gabby has been nagging me to start our online bathing suit shopping but I'm in denial over how mushy I've become. My lack of movement, while not showing on the scale, shows in how everything fits. It's no bueno.

Okay, maybe not total crap but 80/20 crap.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #1404
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Sorry to hear about Jeff's co-worker. I hope the others will get good news in their fight.

Now, a marching band trip to Dublin sounds way cool. What an amazing trip that would be!

The family WDW plans have me

We finally decided when we travel with extended family, we just say: "Here's our plan, and here's where we'll be. If you're in the same place at the same time, great!"
Old 02-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #1405
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Yes, Gabby has been nagging me to start our online bathing suit shopping but I'm in denial over how mushy I've become. My lack of movement, while not showing on the scale, shows in how everything fits. It's no bueno.
I hear you there! My stupid neck and elbow keep me from doing so many things that it is frustrating as heck. By the suit, it will motivate you!

Quote:
Okay, maybe not total crap but 80/20 crap.
Ok, I'll give you 80/20. Focus on the 20!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Sorry to hear about Jeff's co-worker. I hope the others will get good news in their fight.
Thanks me too!

Quote:
Now, a marching band trip to Dublin sounds way cool. What an amazing trip that would be!
It is pretty darn cool. Our district has a long history of band trips. I grew up in the district and back then they'd do an every 4 year trip to Europe in the summer (3 weeks) with a joint concert band comprised of kids from all 3 high schools that wanted to go. It was an AMAZING experience, though it does have some funny stories of its own. I could hardly keep my kids from going, knowing what a defining moment it was for me in so many ways.

Of course it's even cooler to march on St Patrick's day, in Dublin...in a kilt, with bagpipes and Scottish dancers. Not that either boy plans to join the pipe band but it's still darn cool.

Quote:
The family WDW plans have me

We finally decided when we travel with extended family, we just say: "Here's our plan, and here's where we'll be. If you're in the same place at the same time, great!"
That has been our approach in the past. I just hope that they don't make a choice that has them so snarled getting to and from the parks and limiting hours that it really mucks up the experience. It will be so crowded that I do worry about it and frankly, dad's protests to the contrary, I worry he will need a place to rest mid day and offsite is not nearly as easy for that. He can use our villa of course but I want it to be as easy as possible for them and fear they are making it harder.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM   #1406
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I hope you take a break today and enjoy your day!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CYNTHIA!!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #1407
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Is it your birthday today, Cynthia?

Glad I caught it on time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ALLES LIEBE UND GUTE ZU DEINEM GEBURTSTAG!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 02-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #1408
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Happy Birthday, Cynthia.

RIP Genie
Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #1409
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Happy Birthday!

Jill in CO
Old 02-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #1410
MAGICFOR2