Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #1171
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

Oh God is so good today I have to share. I just got news that my HS friend with very rare cancer who underwent stem cell transplant and her last lumbar puncture came back clean with no evidence of disease. And my other friend battling breast cancer for 12 years (the one whose DH has brain cancer), who's doctors thought her cancer had metastasized to both lungs (but can't biopsy in her condition, too risky) it turns out she has a bizarre allergy to one of the chemo drugs, very very rare, but once they changed all her meds up she can breathe again and feels so much better. It's not in her lungs after all, I could cry with relief for both of these amazing ladies.
I missed this earlier...this is such great news.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #1172
MEK
DIS Veteran

I am glad that both of your friends are wining their battle against cancer. That's very inspiring.

Nassau may be dirty and nasty, but your pictures make it look anything but. Nice view. I am on that side of the boat so I am looking forward to seeing the exact same view.

Atlantis looks so close, but I know its not.

I'm still not sure what I am going to do on Nassau day. Probably the same thing you did, but I want a place I can literally walk to.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 02:18 AM   #1174
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

You are completely right on Nassau - NOT the nicest of ports! But the rum is yummy, and so is the rumcake

Now that military boat has always been in the harbour whenever we have been to Nassau (10 times) and I think you are right on the Hilton.

There is a nice little walking tour all around the island which leads up to Fort Fincastle, and that is what we do, climb up there and you have a great view over the island.

I hope you had more for breakfast than a cup of coffee! They offer yummy breakfast at the Royal Palace (which we always have) and also lunch! But since you booked another resort you won't have done that.

Can't wait for your day to unfold!
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 01-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #1175
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I'm so happy to hear about your friends' good news! Dealing with cancer is filled with so many highs and lows, it is encouraging when you hear positive stories.

I'm sorry that the joy was balanced by the sadness with Jeff's coworker.

What a nice morning in port so far! Nothing like enjoying some coffee on the verandah! Best thing ever! You really had some beautiful views pulling in to Nassau and from your walk around the ship.

I'll be interested in hearing about your day at the beach. I think we got day passes to the same resort on a cruise stop back in 2007. Pool was cold and my older son cut his knee when we went into the ocean and was inconsolable so we ended up leaving within an hour of arriving! I hope your day was more enjoyable.

I'm going to see Mary Ellen's tribute now.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #1176
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Ah - coffee on the verandah! Sounds wonderful, but won't happen on my cruise. Just for the fact that I will have an inside cabin.

Like the idea of the walk around deck 4. I have even thought about bringing my running shoes and going for runs. I think I kind of want to run the Castaway Cay 5k, so a bit of training on the ship beforehand would be sensible (and hopefully help a little bit combating the effects of all the cruise food...). In general I think deck 4 looks like a place that I could fall in love with as it looks so much like a real ship and not an amusement park on water. Those deck chairs are beautiful. But I guess the disadvantage is that there isn't a bar to get drinks from down there...

I can understand your feelings towards Nassau - that was one of the many reasons for me to decide against a 4 day cruise.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 01-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #1177
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Beautiful morning walk and views of Nassau even if part of your walk was blocked off. I like your idea of getting a day pass to one of the resorts.

Mary Ellen's tribute to Tracy was wonderful.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #1178
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

What amazing news about your friends! That is just incredible!

I love your Bahamas pictures! What a nice tradition to walk the promenade every day. I feel the same way as you about the port. We've been a few times, so I usually just stay on the ship and enjoy its emptiness!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #1179
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Cynthia so happy for the news of your 2 friends !!Today I have to attend a wake for my neighbors father who passed this week from cancer !She has been our neighbor for almost 30 years and he was a constant visitor My ex was very close with him and was with him until 1/2 hour before he passed .When I am at the Funeral home I know Mary Ellen's song will be in my heart!! Fly on Home Dominique !
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 01-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #1180
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Hey Cynthia!

Loved the updates and photos. I have heard similar descriptions of various ports of call and I definitely get where you are coming from. I would have some similar reservations. Loved all the photos! Sorry you got denied by the drill...seems an odd time to schedule such a thing.

The tribute you posted was really nice. It has been an odd week around here. My great-grandmother passed away, BUT she was 104 and her mind has been gone for some time so though we grieve we were glad to see she is now at peace. We have no doubts where she is now and look forward to the time we are together again. I left my job of 7 years and took a completely new direction. Though I am happy to have better hours and something that is going to be VERY challenging, it was hard saying goodbye to folks at my old job and leaving the comfort bubble. Even the weather has been odd bouncing from unusually warm to unusually cold in 12 hours. Leaving me the joy of a head cold.

Ready for normality to return.

It was great to sit down and enjoy some TR's today. Looking forward to continuing to share in your adventures! Take all the time you want, we'll be here ready to read.

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #1181
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Oh God is so good today I have to share. I just got news that my HS friend with very rare cancer who underwent stem cell transplant and her last lumbar puncture came back clean with no evidence of disease. And my other friend battling breast cancer for 12 years (the one whose DH has brain cancer), who's doctors thought her cancer had metastasized to both lungs (but can't biopsy in her condition, too risky) it turns out she has a bizarre allergy to one of the chemo drugs, very very rare, but once they changed all her meds up she can breathe again and feels so much better. It's not in her lungs after all, I could cry with relief for both of these amazing ladies.
What great news!!! Prayers for continued better health!

Loved your pictures from the Bahamas! I could get used to waking up to coffee with that view everyday. One problem- I don't drink coffee.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #1182
GatorAsh
Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow...

Barrier Island Sanctuary

Hi. I just 'officially' joined DIS but have been reading TP's for some time now. This one is especially enjoyable to me as I live in Melbourne, about 30 minutes north of Vero, right up A1A.
I teach Kindergarten, and we take our students to the Barrier Island Sanctuary every year for a field trip. They love it, we love it- it's so cool to live in this area. Old Florida at it's best. Glad you enjoyed it too, and how neat that you saw hatchlings! I've lived in Florida for 13 years and have seen tons of turtles laying eggs, but never hatchlings. Amazing, isn't it?!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #1183
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

What wonderful news about your friends! God is so good!

I called that big grey boat/ship the Port Police but I'm not sure that's what it really was. I do know that there were quite a few men in uniform with guns on it when we docked in Nassau.

Nassau does look really pretty from the outside looking in. It's just what "in" that's so dirty and nasty. I'm looking forward to hearing what ya'll did the rest of the day.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 01-05-2013, 09:15 PM   #1184
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
God is Good. ALL the time! So happy to hear the good news and answered prayers. I will have to come back later to read - need to go pick Jim up and get some dinner.
God is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Wonderful update, Cynthia. I like your idea of taking a walk every morning while on the ship; and you got such great pictures. I was so sorry to hear about your mug and then to see it in person. Would you like me to pick you up a new one when we are there later this year (we will be staying at OKW again)?

Can't wait to hear how the excursion at the hotel goes.
I might definitely take you up on that very sweet offer! The OKW mug saga will continue. I was missing OKW big time yesterday reading MeMom's latest updates. Oh I love that place! Still kind of wish it was a home...would be nice to have 11m advantage on their grand villas!

Nice thing about OKW, you definitely won't have to worry about Pop Warner, or any convention for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Glad for the good news.[
Awwww So sorry there was bad too. Thoughts and prayers for the family. [/QUOTE]

Thanks, Jeff is pretty upset, one of those friends you keep meaning to catch up with, have lunch with, and didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Such Pretty Pictures of Nassau. I know what you mean right off the boat not so great.

Spent time over the bridge on Paradise Island way back in another liftime.

Going back would only happen on a cruise. Maybe someday.
I honestly don't know what I'd do if I went back. No burning desire to do so that is for sure. Atlantis does look cool, but freaks me out. I know we'd lose Eric there, I can feel it in my bones. Staying on the ship somehow seems wrong but I couldn't get excited about the excursion options. All things considered we made a decent choice given the options and prices.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #1185
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I might definitely take you up on that very sweet offer! The OKW mug saga will continue. I was missing OKW big time yesterday reading MeMom's latest updates. Oh I love that place! Still kind of wish it was a home...would be nice to have 11m advantage on their grand villas!
Well shoot Cynthia if you need a new OKW west mug I will be there next week. Just say the word and it will be on its way to you.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: