Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #976
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
This one made me smile. What a nice way to start this part of the trip!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #977
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry but I did giggle several times while reading. First, I thought, why are they taking that ice in and not dumping it out onto the pavement? Then, I read that you did, indeed, have to dump the ice out. That so sounds like something that would happen to us.

I know that you were sad that you missed the meet but it sounds like food was desperately needed by that time.

Oh no! Please tell me that the retainer was found!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #978
MEK
DIS Veteran

I came back to see your pictures, secretly hoping I would see a picture of you digging ice out of your cooler with your bare hands.

That food on your plate looks fantastic. I am convinced, especially after our trip in October, that you and I love the same foods.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #979
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
Wow a lot going on in that update!! You guys really had an adventure getting onto that ship.
I know! Should have been a simple drive to the port and hop on the ship, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
And it seems you are about to have one more with that retainer comment! I hope that things slowed down and you were able to really enjoy the cruise!
I about had a heart attack when Kendall realized what she'd done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
OK, I'm sorry, but the ice story is hilarious! But sometimes, the right to say "I told you so" just isn't enough to make a situation worth it.
It was funny, even then. Annoying as all get out and beyond ridiculous. I can only imagine what I looked like. I didn't really have to say I told you so, I did tell him I'd had to go back out and dump it out and left it at that. The I told you so part was pretty self evident!

Quote:
Sounds like a pretty hectic, stressful boarding.
Well the actual boarding, once ice was dumped out was completely painless. I do love late boarding for that and the room being ready when we board so an immediate drop of of our stuff. It was just a good hour or more later than I wanted.

Quote:
At least there was not any debate or question about your destination- the necessity to get some lunch!
That was the only stressful part, would we get there before it was closed? While we'd have still been able to get food other places, it wasn't what we were looking for at all and we'd have been bummed to be limited to the counter service or room service options.

Quote:
And I see by the prelude to your next chapter that you have not taken a vacation from the drama!

Oh, my!
Do we ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
That is one of the things we've learned since moving here. Any place that gives you directions always wants you to take Rt 1 or A1A. It's much faster to just jump on 95!! At least A1A is a fun drive, lots of things to see!
We didn't really see as much as we'd have hoped. I don't think 1 would have been any faster but heading over to 95, in retrospect, would have been and if we are ever in that situation again I think we'd go that route. With the number of errands we had though it was probably best we were on the road we were on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Oh my gosh!!! I hate to say it, but your "adventures" are SO entertaining!
It was funny, as annoying as it was even I could see that at the time. It was like seriously? I let this happen to myself?

Quote:
Of course, I do feel bad that you had trouble finding what you needed (to replace what others lost) and had to dump the ice out and get wet, and rush to get some food...
But the way you tell it is HYSTERICAL!
Thanks

Quote:
Not the dreaded retainer in the napkin!!!
Sarah has her braces for nearly another year, and I'm going to get her a case with a lanyard so she can wear it around her neck so she doesn't lose that thing!
A lanyard. That's funny! Good luck with that idea. K is done with the retainer already which surprises me. I was the worst about wearing mine and really wish someone would have enforced it as my teeth did move as a result.

Any hardware can be an issue though. One night, honest truth, I dream I was choking and could not get my headgear off. In my dream, I got so frustrated I got up and cut it off. Wake up and yep...I had cut it off. In my sleep!

That was fun to explain to the orthodontist!

Eric is due to get braces next fall. They may push for sooner as most if not all of the teeth we were waiting to fall out have fallen out but fall is what my wallet says and what the original timeline was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Wow... that was quite an eventful trip to get to the Dream... and quite eventful actually boarding the Dream... (I'm going to be really curious to see your thoughts between this and your cruise to Alaska...
I think the 4 of us did compare them quite a bit over the course of the cruise. I will do a compare at the end. Boarding wise though very similar actually. Both times we were late (even more late on the Wonder but we weren't trying for lunch) and both times, it was incredibly fast and painless actually getting on.

Quote:
We're pretty intense with our sunscreen choices as well...
It is worth the extra $$ but it was SUCH a bummer to have good stuff that everyone liked (as you might imagine, finding mineral ones that the kids don't whine about can be a challenge) disappear.

Quote:
That's actually pretty cool that they let you take your own alcohol aboard the ship...
It is, any food as well though why you'd need any is beyond be. Although, we did have some cookies with us from the night before and a few boxes of cereal. Why I bothered bringing those is beyond me though.

Quote:
Oh my... that whole ice thing... I'm sorry but it's pretty funny now but I know how thrilled you must have been... (that type of think happens to me more often then I'd like to admit...)
It was funny. And oh, was it COLD! Just when I'd think I'd gotten it all I'd find another cube. But, Jeff's beer was quite cold that's for sure.

Quote:
aaaaggghhhhh.... the retainer? Seriously?
That was my reaction too!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #980
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Slowly catching up on everyone's threads so I can start my TR this afternoon, hopefully.

Well, you made it on time...but barely made lunch. I guess that's 50% good and 50% bad?

I'm sorry...but the ice story had me cracking my ribs because I was laughing so hard. The things are husbands think of...cold beer, must have ice!

The food in Cabanas does look yummy.

Okay, I should be able to stay caught up now...I hope.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #981
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Pretty much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Oh no what a morning, I hate rushing.
Me too. And yet, I find myself doing it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Looking forward to hearing about San Fran.
We had a lovely lovely time! Trying to decide how/when to toss that in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Sometimes its so satisfying when you are proven right but not good for the relationship to point (rub it in) it out.

Jill in CO
Agreed. I did not rub it in. I did, matter of factly, let him know what had happened. The I told you so was rather self evident and didn't need to be said. Poor guy was stressed himself from the rental return so why add to any of that anyways. Important thing was we were on the ship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Because you're subliminally influenced by Kathy?
ok that's pretty funny. She is worse than we are and that's saying a lot.

Quote:
Oh. And there's that.

Very much so!

Quote:
It's all the highway engineers' fault. They're all jerks, if you ask me.
It's all the darn retail. I blame it on the cities for allowing it all. Creates all sorts of issues. Oh wait, we needed to USE the retail so I guess I can't complain. I can complain about the access/egress to the CVS though. It was literally across the street from the Starbucks, yet getting into that lot, from ours...not exactly a straight shot.

Quote:

Oh boy. This can't end well.

Not to mention all the parents covering their kids' ears due to the expletives flying at DH! :scared1

Not us, though. We feel your pain.

Ok, maybe it's a little funny? After the fact?
It was funny at the time. In the "I can't believe I am doing this and put myself in this position, this is ridiculous" kind of way. It was unbearably cold though. That part really sucked.

Quote:
I'm with you. Food takes precedence there.
Doesn't it always?

Quote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Oh. My. God. Did you just want to die right then and there?
Pretty much

Quote:
So - I learned a few things, even though I can't see your pictures.

No ice - check - got that.

Carry on water - check - never thought of that.

Arrive late, but not too late so the buffet is closed - check - OK.
Pack Via! Add that to your list. There is coffee up at the refill station but it's nasty. You can also buy coffee at the coffee bar and get a punch card but Via is a lot easier. Either order hot water to the room (we'd order tea as otherwise they were just confused by the request and that way Jeff got his sugar and cream) or walk up and fill up with hot water form the refill station.

Quote:
So do you really think arriving late-ish is the way to go? I mean - I will be in WDW before I leave for the ship, so what time do you recommend getting there. Do you think 2 - 2:30pm would work good in terms of lines? I am definitely OK with NOT being the first ones on the boat and I definitely don't want to arrive with the largest crowds.
I do think 2 would probably be about perfect in my book. That is what we were shooting for originally, 1:30-2. At that point stateroom is ready, buffet still open, no rushing.

Quote:
Another question - Did you actually return your rental or park it there? Please elaborate. Would it be best for us to rent a car for our entire stay - which is 11 days (cruise and WDW) or return the car and get a new rental. This stuff is all new to me, but I know its expensive to park at the port. I actually entertained the thought of using DME, but then we still need a car to get supplies and a way to get to port.
We returned and re-rented there. The return was painless, the new rental another story but I'm getting ahead of myself. The cruise DME is something you have to pay for and it's pricey! For 2 though, could be worth it depending on your plans before and after. For 5 it just didn't pencil out at all.

Quote:
I really, really hope that retainer is recovered. And I can't wait to see pics of your cabin.
I will have stateroom pics in the next update.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #982
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I can really sense the hustle and bustle in that update.
There was a bit of that. Moving day, no matter what you do, isn't terribly fun for parts of it, there always seems to be a few hours of stress, hustle and bustle. Worth it in the end I think.

Quote:
The ice story -- don't you hate it when somebody else makes a less-than-stellar decision and you get to deal with the ramifications? In the rain?
Yes.

Quote:
Yeah, before I read your text I noticed a lot of nuggets and mac & cheese on the plates in the picture.
Apparently they'd been feeling deprived. It was pretty funny.

Quote:
Oh no! The dreaded retainer left in a napkin fiasco! And during muster!
My heart sank at those words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
What a dramatic entrance! How annoying!
Drama was not what I'd been going for! Sigh.

Quote:
Yummy food, though!
It really hit the spot, especially the jerk chicken.

Quote:
I can't wait to see your cabin!
In the next update I promise!

Quote:
Oh, those words! Dun, Dun, Dunnnnnn.......
Horrible words, truly horrible.

Quote:
I was so distracted by the lost retainer I forgot to comment on the ice - I wonder if you can't bring it in a cooler, or were they just afraid it would leak from a bag? I would not be a happy camper, pulling all that ice out.
Honestly I have no idea. You aren't allowed to bring coolers on board at all but honestly if it had been fully closed I don't see how they'd have known. With things spilling out as they were it was pretty obvious Our bag was just as bad on the Wonder...just without the ice. I can't imagine they'd want the belt getting wet though.

Quote:
Yay for boarding through the ears! That's one of the "official" DCL moments missed on the West Coast.
I was very excited about getting an "ears" picture. The rest of my family just wanted ON the ship though so getting them to stop wasn't something they were crazy about. I'm bummed the picture didn't turn out better and that I didn't take more than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
This one made me smile. What a nice way to start this part of the trip!
He had been making us crazy waiting for the cruise portion, he was SO happy to be on the ship it was adorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
I'm sorry but I did giggle several times while reading. First, I thought, why are they taking that ice in and not dumping it out onto the pavement? Then, I read that you did, indeed, have to dump the ice out. That so sounds like something that would happen to us.
I wanted to dump it out. Heck, I'm trying to remember why we even brought ice with us at all and I don't think it was so that stuff would be cold right when we got there versus waiting for it to chill but I don't recall. I do recall thinking that it wasn't needed at the time.

Quote:
I know that you were sad that you missed the meet but it sounds like food was desperately needed by that time.
Food was needed, so was getting those kids out of the car. They would not have been fun at the meet without the food first and drinking in a little ambiance on their own.

Quote:
Oh no! Please tell me that the retainer was found!
We shall see!
Old 12-15-2012, 12:29 PM   #983
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

We returned and re-rented there. The return was painless, the new rental another story but I'm getting ahead of myself. The cruise DME is something you have to pay for and it's pricey! For 2 though, could be worth it depending on your plans before and after. For 5 it just didn't pencil out at all.

I know I am interrupting your replies, but who did you rent from. I don't remember. All I know is that Jeff left to go pick it up. Ideally, I'd like to rent from the airport, but I'm flexible.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
Old 12-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #984
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK

I know I am interrupting your replies, but who did you rent from. I don't remember. All I know is that Jeff left to go pick it up. Ideally, I'd like to rent from the airport, but I'm flexible.
Lol, I will look. One way was Avis and the other budget but I can't recall which was first. We did pickup and return for both not at the airport and I have thoughts about that both ways and with both companies so will pull up the info and let you know. I think you'll want to price out several options to see what is best. For us it ended up being considerably cheaper not to keep the car while on the cruise and do the pickups the way we dis but we did lose time as a result.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #985
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hope Cynthia doesn't mind me chiming in, but we always rent a car at the airport.
In 2011 we rented from Hertz and were really pleased - their office is close to the port, the shuttle/s running with short intervals. Easy to drop off car and even easier to pick up from again.
In 2012 we rented from Dollar (couldn't get a convertible from Hertz) and the office is WAY down the street, there was only one shuttle going and it took quite some time to leave both ways. At the office there was only ONE guy working and it took forever to drop off and rent. When we rented we waited for an hour and a half!!!! I guess this summer we are going with Hertz again.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 12-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #986
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat

I hope Cynthia doesn't mind me chiming in, but we always rent a car at the airport.
In 2011 we rented from Hertz and were really pleased - their office is close to the port, the shuttle/s running with short intervals. Easy to drop off car and even easier to pick up from again.
In 2012 we rented from Dollar (couldn't get a convertible from Hertz) and the office is WAY down the street, there was only one shuttle going and it took quite some time to leave both ways. At the office there was only ONE guy working and it took forever to drop off and rent. When we rented we waited for an hour and a half!!!! I guess this summer we are going with Hertz again.
Not at all Karin we were focused on cheap and the airport was considerably more $$ than the options we ended up with with all companies and I stalked rates for 6 months lol. It would have been far easier to be sure.

Our pickup in Canaveral was a similar story to your drop off, though I do think if we'd have known we could have done it slightly differently and saved a good hour, maybe more. We were told by a transportation CM at canaveral that not only do most of the companies only have one shuttle, if multiple ships are in as they usually are, they are rotating between the cruise lines as well. By the time we got the full scoop we elected to just wait but had we known we would have grabbed a cab. Actual rental once we were there was very fast. Basically we has a very mixed bag with both companies but I need to see which was which for a full update.

Still with savings in the hundreds for us, it was worth it.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:09 PM   #987
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

LOL. The ice story made me laugh.
Uh-oh. The retainer does not sound good.
Give any tips throughout the report you wish to. We are cruisng for the 1st time ever next year on the Dream and I am so nervous. LOL. Not of the cruise but of what to do on the ship and what has to be done.

Nice pics along the way.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 AM   #988
addictedtothemouse
DIS Veteran

I can just imagine you pulling the ice out and muttering under your breath.
OH NO! Not the retainer! At least she wears it. I had to threaten my older two because they wouldn't, hopefully DD#3 will wear hers.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #989
2xcited2sleep
DIS Veteran

I have to agree with a previous poster (sorry- cant't remember who) who said your adventures sure are entertaining! of course I imagine it didn't seem that way while digging ice out in the rain. And to the retainer. Hope you find it!

Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #990
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Oh no - hope the retainer was found. We are in the process of picking an orthodontist for our boys. I have a feeling we will have a similar situation at some point.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: