Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #706
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Yay! So glad to hear you had a great trip!!

Squidlips! What a great name for a restaurant! Seriously...how could you not eat there?Your food looks very yummy!!

I hope you make it to the turtle walk!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #707
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Welcome home!

Sounds like a yummy meal.
Thanks! It was a great trip, I am slowly adjusting to reality again.

It was incredibly yummy, we were very very pleased with it all and would definitely go there again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Welcome home! Sorry the real world intrudes once again. But I'm glad you had a great time! Can't wait to hear about it.
It was a blast! At the end I did miss the kids, even Jeff (lol) but not having them there did allow for some Christmas shopping and there is something so incredibly different about an adult only, and girls only, trip.

Quote:
That's pretty much how we choose, too!
darn good reason if you ask me

Quote:
Oh, come on. What kind of dummy doesn't re-apply sunscreen?
Hmmn. A dummy named Mark?

Quote:
It sure looks good in the picture. I shouldn't have read this so close to lunch.
Yeah, DISing right before lunch can inspire overeating or major hunger pangs!

Quote:
Looks like a great spot. Glad you enjoyed it!
We really did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
ohhh a cliffhanger...im bankingon you made it in time, but it was cancelled due to rain coming.
The skies were not looking all that great, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
are you going to just continue on after this oneof your latest ladies trip? or start a new one.
I think the plan is that Mary Ellen will "host" our girls trip TR and I will contribute. I'm only on day 4 on this one and she is closer to being done on her currrent one so will start the girls TR after she finishes her current one.

I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Sounds like you and Mary Ellen had a great trip, can't wait to hear all about it!
it was a blast!

Quote:
Boo for work slapping you in the face just as you return! What a bummer that you have to miss the last regular season game Good that it's not the last one period though, good luck to Kendall in the playoffs
It was a major bummer to miss that game, though the event was pretty good. The game was a total nail biter, Jeff was stressing me out with the texting play by play! We did win (1:0) and finished the season undefeated, making us still ranked #1 in the state. The other team is ranked #7 and it is likely we will be up against them for the district championships before it moves on to state. Next 2 games should be easy but the 3rd one, likely to be a doozy again.

Quote:
Your meal sounds fabulous! Making a mental note of Squidlips (seriously, how could I even forget that name?) just in case I ever make it to Vero.
Oh Vero is wonderful, do go if you can and I highly recommend Squidlips. I hope someday we will be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Welcome back C!

Enjoyed the update!

Always nifty to see some cool pics.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Food looked mighty tasty and with a name like Squidlips, how could you NOT eat there?
Exactly and luckily, it WAS mighty tasty!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #708
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Hi, Cynthia!!! Your trip with Mary Ellen sounds downright EPIC! Can't wait to read more about it!

I think I might need the recipe for your chipolte sweet potatoes -- we love sweet potatoes, and that sounds wonderful and different!

All caught up on updates. I would have been all about the beach chairs and umbrella -- not a fan of sand on me and everything else although I love the beach -- go figure!

I am crushed about the Old Key West mug -- I don't think we have ever had a Disney mug that was not dishwasher safe -- I might have cried if that had happened to me.

Archery sounds like lots of fun! Too bad there were so many people doing it.

My family would have been all about Squidlips for both the name and the food.

Oh, I do hope you make it to your turtle walk on time! That would be so neat to do!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #709
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Great update! Squid lips? How could you not?

It was so good to meet you and I'm happy to say I think I made into 2 of those stat categories. I'll enter my Photopass tomorrow when DH is back to work. For now it's helping the kids with the enormous amounts of homework they've got due. Price well spent though.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 10-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #710
Native NYer
DIS Veteran

Welcome back!

The food at Squidlips looks amazing!

Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #711
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Welcome back from your trip! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. However, why do you travel in October the year after I was there in October?? WE would have been able to meet last year at WDW???

Sqidlips looks like just the place I would love. These casual type of restaurants for me are so typical American, I love places like this!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 10-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #712
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
Welcome Back!!! Glad you and Mary Ellen had a great time.
We did, the weather couldn't have been more lovely too!

Quote:
I am in awe that you are able to update after getting back. You are so much better at this trip writing than I.
Well I had started that update before I left, just hadn't gotten it up yet so it was almost cheating lol!

Quote:
What a neat place for dinner. Looks like a great meal and that you had a great time.
It was exactly the kind of place I'd hoped it would be and was perfect.

Quote:
Hope you make the turtle walk. Anxious to hear about it.
Next update I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great update, Cynthia.

LOVE all the stuff you listed that you accomplished at Disney last week.
Thanks! It was a great trip.

Quote:
That restaurant looks great and the food looks awesome. Being outside over the water is one of the best parts of dining in Naples...most of the restaurants we choose to sit outside at and enjoy the view and watching the dolphins and manatees.
We are much the same way, if we can be on the water here at home, we love to do so, and if not, outside will do! Sadly we didn't see any dolphins or manatees at dinner, that would have been amazing!

Quote:
Your cocktail looks very yummy and I sure wish I had one right now rather than dealing with this work on my desk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Hey Welcome Back!

How could you not go to a place named Squidlips?
Exactly! How could you not? The other prime contender, Captian Hiram's, just didn't have the same ring.

Quote:
I do hope you make the Turtlewalk though...
That update will be next!

Quote:
I'm so happy you got fish choices other than Salmon...
Us too. We'd have done tuna but do love our Mahi.

Quote:
What exactly was on that Sweet Potato? I make them about once a week also so I'm always looking for new tricks...

Your Food and Wine trip sounds divine... can't wait to hear all about it...
I posted it earlier, hopefully you saw it. It was delish! It was a great trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh'smate View Post
Whew, many thanks for your chapter links I am all caught up now. Squidlips looks so yummy!!!! I can't wait to hear about the turtle walk.
So glad they helped

It was yummy! Turtle walk will be up next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I have a similar list from our trip! I am one of the lucky ones who got to see you more than once!
Yes you are! And one near miss huh, It was so great to meet you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I would definitely be eating at Squidlips too! My girls would freak out thinking that's what they would be eating! We at at Fishlips in Cape Canaveral once and had a few laughs about that name. I think your food looked better.

I'd like to know about the sweet potato too!
My kids kept asking if those were on the menu. Fishlips is almost as funny. We ate at a place in Cape Canaveral back in 2004 that we really liked but have no clue what the name of it was, I think we just stumbled across it.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #713
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelilspark View Post
I *love* Squidlips!

They have a second location up in Melbourne. It's one of my favorite spots for dinner.
If we had one nearby we would be regulars for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Great updates and pics.

The work thing did not seem like fun.

Glad your recent trip was good.
The work thing was not fun and sadly, it wasn't over.

Recent trip was great, I hope yours was too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
Thanks for the review of Squidlips...we didn't get there, so it's good to see what you thought.
So little time, so many restaurants! Or cooking. That is the great thing about the villas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I think you'll make it to your turtle walk on time.
We shall see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
Yeaaah, your back!
Welcome back to the world where toilets don't flush by themselves and no one tells you..."Have a magical day!"

Frankly, I don't miss that first part. Half the time they spray. ICK! I do miss the magical day part though. Though we did run into a few less than magical CM's this trip. And then some that defined it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie12591 View Post
I hope your trip was wonderful.
It was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
My phone has been going off all day with new posts on your TR. I am reading at half time during soccer. I hope I get to catch for real thus weekend
I hope soccer went well and you can relax this weekend and not impacted too much by Sandy.

And you get the cat off your laptop.

Quote:
Anyway, your dinner sounds amazing I hope the time crunch works out. I felt like everything was far from the resort. View sounds great, too. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
You would like the restaurant a lot. If you go again, you should try it.

Everything is far from the resort, I would agree with that.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #714
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Welcome back! I can't believe it's over either. Time sure flies when YOU are having fun. Thanks for the quick summary.
It did fly that is for sure. It's so funny, at the start of a trip I always feel like I have so much time to see/do things and by the end it's like I didn't do this, that and the other thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I agree- your meals all looked and sounded amazing! Glad you enjoyed it.

Hope the turtles don't have to wait for you.
Dinner was outstanding. Really worked for us, we would go there again.

Those turtles are VERY much on their own timeline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Fun and laughs - important parts of a Disney (or any other) trip.
So true!

Quote:
We are hoping to try Squidlips next summer. Pretty much for the same reason as you said. Why eat at a 'common' place when you have the chance to eat at a place called Squidlips?
Exactly! The kids loved it. Then again, I think they loved everywhere. They are equal opportunity eaters. I mean vultures.

Quote:
I, too, am a bug magnet. I am apparently quite a delicious feast for the little critters. When no one else is spraying and/or getting bitten, I am. I feel your pain and understand your caution and prep work.
So frustrating and unfair isn't it? Sadly, it will come into play later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Whoo hoo gettting all caught up and YES

Squidlips is on the virual list for the virtual stay at Vero.

Someday ..... Someday.
It's the perfect dive with really great food. Loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Yay! So glad to hear you had a great trip!!
We did!

Quote:
Squidlips! What a great name for a restaurant! Seriously...how could you not eat there?Your food looks very yummy!!
It was very yummy!

Quote:
I hope you make it to the turtle walk!
Coming up next, I promise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Hi, Cynthia!!! Your trip with Mary Ellen sounds downright EPIC! Can't wait to read more about it!
We had so much fun, and as you know, thought of you! LOL!

Quote:
I think I might need the recipe for your chipolte sweet potatoes -- we love sweet potatoes, and that sounds wonderful and different!
Oh they are yummy! The combo of sweet and savory (with a little kick) is always a hit with me. The recipe calls for them to be double baked I think, I modified it to be a whipped version. I can get it to you for sure.

Quote:
All caught up on updates. I would have been all about the beach chairs and umbrella -- not a fan of sand on me and everything else although I love the beach -- go figure!
Exactly! I love to walk on the sand, barefoot. No matter what you do there will be sand on yourself, and your stuff, at least the loungers let me minimize it.

Quote:
I am crushed about the Old Key West mug -- I don't think we have ever had a Disney mug that was not dishwasher safe -- I might have cried if that had happened to me.
I was crushed. And honestly probably stared at it for a good five minutes in utter disbelief. I have several that I use all the time and have never had an issue, it never occurred to me that there might be. I was so upset. What were they thinking?????

It is interesting though, I noticed BC and BW had adorable new resort specific merchandise. (kind of mad I didn't buy a BW tee actually)

No mugs....

Travel tumbers, water bottles...

No mugs.....

Quote:
Archery sounds like lots of fun! Too bad there were so many people doing it.
It was a huge group! I am glad the boys got to do it. One of our goals for both resorts was trying activities we wouldn't get to do on a more typical park trip.

Quote:
My family would have been all about Squidlips for both the name and the food.
It was the perfect kind of beach vacation dive, just loved it!

Quote:
Oh, I do hope you make it to your turtle walk on time! That would be so neat to do!
coming up next I promise!

Last edited by eandesmom; 10-29-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #715
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I hope soccer went well and you can relax this weekend and not impacted too much by Sandy.
Two more loses. And then the flowers the coach got for senior night were dead. Really? Could it get any worse?

Sandy is going to be a real pain. I am trying to decide if I should just go to the hospital tonight where they have a generator. I think its going to be too dangerous to drive tomorrow and we have some sick patients on our service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
And you get the cat off your laptop.
That darn Max! That's Denny's work computer. Good thing he didn't see that. Max has already shut mine down a couple times. I can't close it because the screen is cracked, so I leave something on top of the key board and he stays off. He likes the warmth of the keyboard.

So your pictures have convinced me that I need to try Squid lips when I make it back to Vero. Jeff cracks me up the way he is studying that drink menu. Hey - I get it - its an important decision.

I mailed your laynard yesterday, so hopefully you will get it in a few days.

Oh yeah - I can't wait to go back to food & wine. Had SO MUCH FUN!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-28-2012, 02:16 PM   #716
addictedtothemouse
DIS Veteran

Your trip sounds like so much fun, you know, other than the bickering. I really, really want to get DVC, but need to work it into my budget first. Might be easier if I quit taking trips, but I can't seem to stop. I want to eventually stay at each Disney resort, but I do seem have a favorite "coughAKLcough"
Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #717
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Great update! Squid lips? How could you not?
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
It was so good to meet you and I'm happy to say I think I made into 2 of those stat categories. I'll enter my Photopass tomorrow when DH is back to work. For now it's helping the kids with the enormous amounts of homework they've got due. Price well spent though.
You definitely made it into 2 categories, actually 3 I think!

Ugh on the post trip homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
Welcome back!

The food at Squidlips looks amazing!
Thanks! If you ever go to Vero, I really recommend it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Welcome back from your trip! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. However, why do you travel in October the year after I was there in October?? WE would have been able to meet last year at WDW???
Rotten timing huh! I missed a big group last year, guess we will all just have to keep going and hope at some point our dates line up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Squidlips looks like just the place I would love. These casual type of restaurants for me are so typical American, I love places like this!
It really is, classic dive on a beach with great seafood. Perfect coastal restaurant and bar.

Quote:
Two more loses. And then the flowers the coach got for senior night were dead. Really? Could it get any worse?
Seriously????

We had a nightmare of a game yesterday. First one in the district playoffs. Should have been a no brainer, we are top seed, ranked #1 in state. They are 4th in our district, not even ranked.

15 shots on goal and could we get one in???????????

Nope.

Double golden goal OT and settled by PK's.

Of which we missed the first TWO! And they did not!

Thank god K was up 3rd and turned the tide. And that sent them downhill, either missing the goal or our keeper getting.

3:2 in PK's. I hope it was a wakeup call. We came home and made ourselves a drink to destress.

And warm up lol! Was actually happy to have that leftover crummy rum as I had a small amount of hot buttered rum batter.

Quote:
Sandy is going to be a real pain. I am trying to decide if I should just go to the hospital tonight where they have a generator. I think its going to be too dangerous to drive tomorrow and we have some sick patients on our service.
Would you sleep in an on call room?

Quote:
That darn Max! That's Denny's work computer. Good thing he didn't see that. Max has already shut mine down a couple times. I can't close it because the screen is cracked, so I leave something on top of the key board and he stays off. He likes the warmth of the keyboard.
Hank used to to that, it drove me nuts and then I'd feel bad moving him!

Quote:
So your pictures have convinced me that I need to try Squid lips when I make it back to Vero. Jeff cracks me up the way he is studying that drink menu. Hey - I get it - its an important decision.
Well I think it was probably more the fact that he needs new glasses and the lighting was low....probably couldn't read it and hates to admit that.

Quote:
I mailed your laynard yesterday, so hopefully you will get it in a few days.
Thanks!

Quote:
Oh yeah - I can't wait to go back to food & wine. Had SO MUCH FUN!
Just a little over a year for you! Very jealous. Last night my dad was like "why can't we go during food and wine next year?"

Darn kids and school!

Still, pretty excited about going during the holidays, plans got a bit firmer last night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtothemouse View Post
Your trip sounds like so much fun, you know, other than the bickering. I really, really want to get DVC, but need to work it into my budget first. Might be easier if I quit taking trips, but I can't seem to stop. I want to eventually stay at each Disney resort, but I do seem have a favorite "coughAKLcough"
Therein lies the rub. I figure if I'd have used the money for our first 3 trips on DVC instead...we'd have been golden. Hard to keep doing one and be able to pay for the 2nd that's for darn sure.

We absolutely LOVED AKV. Haven't gotten to it yet and won't for quite a while but it was magical.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #718
emma212010
DIS Veteran

Squidlips makes me laugh too!! I'm glad you enjoyed your meal.

Oh, boy! That's cutting it close! I hope you made it on time!!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #719
vamassey1
DIS Veteran

Welcome home! I'm looking forward you your girls trip too.

Squidlips sounds so good. I love Mahi Mahi. You can't to to the beach and not eat at a local seafood joint.

Looking forward to the turtle walk.

April 83- Choir trip offsite
Sept 99- Hilton Hotel Plaza
March 02-Movies
Thanksgiving 02-Marriott Hotel Plaza
Mardi Gras 04-Movies
New Years 06-POP
May 07-POP
June 09-POP
Mardi Gras 10-POFQ
Mardi Gras 12-PORS
Old 10-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #720
Sunset Cliffs
DIS Veteran

Welcome home! I loved following your pictures on FB. Made me so jealous!

The view from your dinner was breathtaking. Talk about a perfect vacation dinner spot.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: