Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #676
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Our youngest has that same drive to be perfect at everything. It can be a challenge, but also a huge benefit.
Definitely a double edged sword!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
I also know very well the insanity of trying to get someplace on time. There always seems to be SOMETHING slowing us down. Missing hairbow, dog deciding to run from her cage, random attacks by Swedish homing pigeons... You just never can tell.
Especially those pigeons.

I am happy to report I was much more on time this trip...amazing how that happens when you are solo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
Just wishing you a wonderful trip!! Are you going to write a report about it?
I think Mary Ellen is going to write the report and I'll chime in lots. She's closer to being done with her current one than I am so that seemed best.

We will see though! I definitely have a bazillion pics and lots of TR fodder!

Plus a slew of DISmeets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Up, up, and away! Have a fabulous time!!!
Thanks!!! I did. Sadly, am now on the plane headed home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Hope your enjoying your trip.

I got a great archery bruise on my holiday last year.
A bruise? Do tell!

I did enjoy the trip very much, am on the plane headed back now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskitty3 View Post
Have a fabulous time!!
Thanks! I did
Old 10-22-2012, 06:51 PM   #677
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
Oh, archery! How fun!!

Except, you'd probably find me on the soccer field as well- in the goal!
Oooh, a Keeper huh? Cool.

I think they all had fun, win win all around

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
I hate ruining non dishwasher safe dishes! I'm sorry about your mug! I don't know why they make them not dishwasher safe anymore!

Have a magical trip!
It is ridiculous for a coffee cup, I was very sad!

It was a magical trip, though I did come home without a single new mug. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I agree that all coffee mugs should be dishwasher safe.
they should, what were they thinking???

Quote:
Hope you girls were able to finish all that rum.
Yeah.

NOT!

Donations may have been made

Quote:
I had a blast Quack Quack
Quack Quack, me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native NYer View Post
I have so much to catch up on!
Hope you're enjoying your trip.
I did, am sadly on the way home, trying to plot the next adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Oh my Cynthia, I didn't realize you were on Dis ing while the plane was getting ready to take off...

That is some serious dedication...
Not really, gotta love the iphone app and in flight wireless. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
I know you and Mary Ellen are having fun and consuming many yummy adult beverages... Have an extra for me please...
Oh there may have been one or to of those over my 6 nights...or today...LOL! I'll give you more than one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Can't wait to hear about it!!!!!
Hi Rosie!

It was a great trip
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 07:27 PM   #678
KatMark
DIS Veteran

I can't believe the trip is over already.

Looking forward to hearing all about it. Safe travels home.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #679
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I can't believe the trip is over already.

Looking forward to hearing all about it. Safe travels home.
Sad huh!

I know I am. Although I missed the gang and towards the end was sad they weren't with me.

It did let me do some cool Christmas shopping though!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:51 AM   #680
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Your trip cannot be over! You just left a few days ago????????????

IF it is really true and your trip IS over then I hope it was an awesome one and cannot wait to read all about it.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #681
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
It did let me do some cool Christmas shopping though!
Oooh, what did you get me?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #682
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Old 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #683
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Your trip cannot be over! You just left a few days ago????????????
Well sadly most of us don't get the kind of vacation time you and Tom do (lucky!) so yep, I am back. It was 6 nights though but now I'm back and headed into the office today. WAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
IF it is really true and your trip IS over then I hope it was an awesome one and cannot wait to read all about it. [
It as a great trip, I need to start planning so I lessen the pain of PDD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post

Oh I'll have to think about that one. How about...

A picture of a T shirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Seriously
Old 10-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #684
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Well it's taken me all day, but I caught up! I was only a couple updates behind but due to various distractions (including buying airfare) I have had your TR up on my laptop all day!

The resort looks like there is a ton to do! The archery probably would have ended badly for us... Both boys are very much like Eric & wouldn't have handled it well if they didn't master it.

I can't wait to hear about the turtle walk!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #685
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Well it's taken me all day, but I caught up! I was only a couple updates behind but due to various distractions (including buying airfare) I have had your TR up on my laptop all day!

I know how that goes! And then I think I commented...but I didn't!

Quote:
The resort looks like there is a ton to do! The archery probably would have ended badly for us... Both boys are very much like Eric & wouldn't have handled it well if they didn't master it.
They are very much like Eric, I always think that when I read your updates. Yes, between the paddle boat and archery, poor Eric wasn't quite having the magical activity experience some of us were.

It gets better for him though, a LOT better actually!

Quote:
I can't wait to hear about the turtle walk!
Soon, very soon!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #686
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Squidlips

I'm back! Yes, and back at work too. BOO! Very sad actually, it is Kendall's last regular season soccer game tonight against a tougher opponent. I have a work function I cannot get out of, that I'd totally forgotten about! Thankfully the organizer emailed the agenda reminders yesterday or I'd have been a no show as it wasn't on my calendar. This is what happens when you agree to re-up for something months in advance and then don't hear from the organizers. It falls off the radar. Especially nighttime events. I am very very sad! But as they are undefeated....it is not the last game by any stretch of the imagination!

It really was a wonderful trip, lots of fun and laughs. A nice combination of a little commando, a lot of relaxing and a lot of new things. We will do a TR, I think that most likely Mary Ellen is going to write and I will comment as she is far closer to completing her current TR than I am over here!

I do have some fun statistics for you (these are for me, Mary Ellen’s are probably slightly different, though similar)
  • I opened, and closed parks, pretty much every day.
  • I had the opportunity to meet 10 DISers! Some of whom I'd met before and some I hadn't and a few, multiple times over the course of the trip.
  • We visited 5 different pools
  • 2 new resorts (to me). While I'd stayed at WL before, I hadn't been in the villas and Boardwalk Villas was completely new to me.
  • Got to see much of the new Fantasy Land during soft opening previews, and all of Storybook Circus
  • Attended my first ever Halloween party and yes....there are pictures.
  • Attending 2 culinary seminars, absolutely loved it!! Especially the 2nd one.
  • Traded pins for my kids...more looking and trading than I'd ever done. It was interesting and fun and at times, frustrating.
  • Had coffee on the verandah, solo, twice
  • I ate, a lot!
  • 8 sit down restaurants, 5 of which were new to me and the other 3 were for different times of day than I'd been before.
  • 2 counter service locations, 1 of which was new to me
  • 4 "bars", three of which were new to me
  • And….I think 14 out of the 29 food and wine kiosks.
WHEW!

With that, let's get back to the TR.

I think we were getting ready for dinner. When we planned this trip we planned on 1 night out and 2 number of nights cooking in the villa. Originally my plan had been to cook tonight, thinking that would work better with the turtle walk and then we changed our mind and to be honest, I can't recall why but we decided we’d cook the next night instead. As I'd researched where we could/should go out my kids became fascinated with one place in particular.

Squidlips.

Why?

Truly, for no other reason than it was called Squidlips which made everyone laugh. It did have a good reputation, the menu sounded right up our alley so we figured, why not! We were cutting it close. As we got ready I reminded everyone about the turtle walk. It didn't start until 9. It would be buggy. We’d be walking on the beach. I instructed everyone to either dress accordingly now or bring clothes to change into in the car. That meant long sleeves (rain jackets for most) for bug protection and shoes that worked on the beach at a minimum. For me, I packed a full change of clothes. I am a bug MAGNET. They eat me alive. I'd already gotten some bites at OKW just sitting on the patio and did want to minimize damage. I packed long pants and a long sleeve tee, both lightweight workout type stuff that wouldn't be too hot but would give me protection. And I packed industrial strength bug spray. The kind with real DEET. Of which I am not a fan but I'm less so of having a bazillion bites and then suffering through them in Florida humidity in the days that would follow.

As we got ready it became clear that a few of our folks had not reapplied like they should have. My chest was a little crispy and Evan's back, well…it was pretty darn pink. Evan has my skin and as a child, and for the most part now, if I do turn red, more often than not it will be brown by morning. Still, it was uncomfortable for him so I gave him some Tylenol (or ibuprofen, I honestly can’t recall) and lubed him up with Ceravae which in my opinion has magical healing properties. Everyone packed, with some folks completely ignoring my warnings about bugs and walking on beaches, we headed out.
While Squid lips isn't far, it is still a drive back across the bridge and the drive to our walk location after would be another 15-20 minutes (and back across the bridge and then north of the resort), or maybe more according to the front desk.

We arrived at our destination in relatively short order

The skies were starting to concern me a little

We arrived to dinner at 7 pm

Amazing what photo editing can do

On a Monday night.

There was a wait.

While we didn't have time for a wait, at that point, we didn't have much choice. About 15 minutes later we were seated. As a result when our server stopped by for our drink order, despite the fact that folks didn't know what they wanted, I informed him we were in a bit of a time crunch and would need to order quickly. Which embarrassed Jeff but you know, as a former server I’d rather know that up front. Not being rude but there was a time constraint!

After much perusing and some input from our server, who convinced Jeff a certain drink was the best bang for the buck in strength.

We placed our drink order and sat back to check out the view

Whatever it was he ordered, he seemed to like

I fought with the lighting

And took a picture of my drink, and the bread

A word on the bread.

A

Maz

ING!

Amazing.

Bimini Bread. Oh my goodness was it incredible! We inhaled it. Thankfully I think they’d brought 2 loaves to start.

I had heard about a certain item on the menu and was determined to try it even though I knew the entrée by itself would be enough. I present to you

The drunken sweet potato

Oh

My

GOODNESS

Was that thing amazing. Huge though, freakishly huge and I make sweet potatoes on a regular basis. So incredibly good.

I chose Mahi for my entrée

Oak-grilled Grouper, Mahi Mahi or Tuna
Generous portions of the freshest fish we can buy! basted with our honey lime sauce, citrus butter, honey ginger, cajun seasoning, black cherry pepper, jamaican jerk, apricot ginger lime, or honey rum glaze & oak-grilled to perfection

The boys…shrimp baskets

Fried Shrimp Basket
Plump shrimp fried to perfection! Served with french fries and your choice of tartar sauce or cocktail sauce

they were HUGE!

Kendall I think some kind of taco?

I'm guessing it was this, which was on the appetizer menu

Baja Fish Tacos
Two corn taco shells loaded with our crunchy fried fish, shredded cabbage, chili tequila lime sauce and pico de gallo served with our chipotle creme sauce

Jeff also had the Mahi but chose a different sauce. Pretty sure he had the jerk and I had honey ginger?

Either way we were both thrilled with what we picked.

The verdict overall?

YUM!

We'd eat there again for sure and found it to be a pretty good value for what we got. It is on the casual side for the prices but the food made up for it and it was fun to be "over" the water. As we dined, the sun began to set.

While the service was relatively quick, we did have a wait before we sat. By the time we settled up, kids hit the restroom and we walked back to the car it was approaching 8:30.

Would we make it to the turtle walk on time?

Mrs. Crush and Squirt(sssss) too!

Last edited by eandesmom; 10-31-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #687
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Welcome home!

Sounds like a yummy meal.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #688
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
I'm back! Yes, and back at work too. BOO!
Welcome home! Sorry the real world intrudes once again. But I'm glad you had a great time! Can't wait to hear about it.

Quote:
As I'd researched where we could/should go out my kids became fascinated with one place in particular.

Squidlips.

Why?

Truly, for no other reason than it was called Squidlips which made everyone laugh.
That's pretty much how we choose, too!

Quote:
As we got ready it became clear that a few of our folks had not reapplied like they should have. My chest was a little crispy and Evan's back, well…it was pretty darn pink.
Oh, come on. What kind of dummy doesn't re-apply sunscreen?

Quote:
A word on the bread.

A

Maz

ING!

Amazing.
It sure looks good in the picture. I shouldn't have read this so close to lunch.

Quote:
We'd eat there again for sure and found it to be a pretty good value for what we got. It is on the casual side for the prices but the food made up for it and it was fun to be "over" the water. As we dined, the sun began to set.
Looks like a great spot. Glad you enjoyed it!
Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #689
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

ohhh a cliffhanger...im bankingon you made it in time, but it was cancelled due to rain coming.

are you going to just continue on after this oneof your latest ladies trip? or start a new one.

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #690
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you and Mary Ellen had a great trip, can't wait to hear all about it!

Boo for work slapping you in the face just as you return! What a bummer that you have to miss the last regular season game Good that it's not the last one period though, good luck to Kendall in the playoffs

Your meal sounds fabulous! Making a mental note of Squidlips (seriously, how could I even forget that name?) just in case I ever make it to Vero.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: