Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #331
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

I also think that having that boat ride to DTD is an awesome +...That along with Olivia's are def nice amenities to have at OKW...

(Gonna have to try it sometime cause we just bit the Disney Bullet and purchased 80 points in DVC ...home base Beach Club ...plan on adding 25 points a year during the next couple years...)

Cookes of Dublin's looks pretty nice all in all...I too have heard the food growl... and you're right sugar doesn't cut it... (I'd be surprised if there were very many places you're going to be able to get Salmon as good as you can get at home...

Love those Lego sculptures...we always hit that store...I think David thinks its an actual attraction...

Old 09-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #332
LegoMom3

Me and mine are way overdue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

Coffee on the verandah!

We LOVE this quiet time together, enjoying the outdoors, our coffee, each other and the peace and quiet of no kids. They needed to sleep in a little, it was 5am Seattle time and with the long day, some catch up was in order. As some of you know from my PTR, I had some targeted souvenir purchases. One of which was a “new” OKW logo mug. I’d seen the logo, but not the actual mug so had really hoped they actually had a mug with the new logo and that I'd like it. I had stopped into Conch Flats after our dinner at Olivia's and found it, and liked it! Was it my dream color? No but the size of it was perfect and it had these great ridges on the inside of the handle that felt so good in my hand. I'm funny about coffee cups. I choose mine very carefully each morning depending on my mood, the weather and what feels “right”. For example right now as I wrote this update I was drinking out of my Minnie diner style mug from 2004. I should have bought the full set back then as the style has changed but it has held up beautifully and I love it. I find that the typical mug in a condo, villa or resort room is too small and just doesn't feel right. To feel at home, I wanted my own mug!

First things first, I had to brew the coffee

And try to catch our morning view; you could actually see a bit across the canal without the afternoon glare we’d had the day before

I tried playing with photosynth, a stitching app to create panorama shots. It kind of worked.

Mostly I just enjoyed the dappled light and shade

Ok, first of all....just, WOW! I feel like we're the Sisterhood of the Traveling Coffee Mug. Or something ridiculous like that. My vacations always - ALWAYS! - start with coffee early in the morning. In my case, walking to the food court to fill up my Refillable-Only-At-This-Resort-For-the-Length-of-THIS-Stay mug. However on a trip to the Gulf Coast this summer, we rented a condo with a verandah and I savored many a cup of coffee while enjoying refreshing breezes (ok ok, TS Debbie's cranky remnants) and watching palm trees sway. ....But I digress.

I love OKW. Or rather, I love what I've seen of it from the window of a ME bus, and have vowed that if I'm ever fortunate enough to buy DVC, I will find a way to make this "home!" Meanwhile, I'll keep leaving nose prints and little drool marks on the bus window as I go by.

Anyway!.....I'm a friend of TarzansKat and followed the link to your TR from her PTR! Glad I came and really looking forward to more!

Register to remove

Old 09-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #333
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Glad that you were able to get everything done that you wanted to do in DTD.

I've heard good things about Cooke's but for some reason I always forget about it when we are in DTD. The fish and chips look yummy! We'll have to check it out next time.

Beautiful pictures on the boat ride back to OKW!

Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #334
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS
10 minutes at Cooke's to get your food is actually good from my experience....it's actually the only wdw restaurants that's on my "not again" list.
the only WDW restaurant on your never again list? Wow, it must have been bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRYPPNS
You should like me with my coffee mugs....have to be the right size and shape
Yep, I was SO sad this morning, wanted to use my mug from flower and garden. Just the right size and shape for mood this morning. Couldn't find it. Turns out Jeff broke it right before our trip while I was at my work conference and had forgotten to tell me. Total bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess
I love the update! Families in dtd in the heat can be hard.
Even without the heat it can be hard with the crowds. It was a fun afternoon even with the snarls but Jeff definitely needed that Rita!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta
Not our villa. Best caption ever.
The kids were so funny about the color of the villa, like once you are inside you could even tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta
The Irish pie looks delicious. Your salmon was tiny. I'm not a huge chilled fish person unless it's on a bagel with shmear, capers, onion, and tomatoes.

Looks like a fun time in DTD.
I'm not huge on chilled fish either. Dungoness crab, now that's another story! I'd get that salad again but would add chicken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123
We ate at Cookes of Dublin too, but I'll tell you more about that when I get to that point in my TR....probably in about 6 months.
yeah what's this about a trip report interruption????

Cookes was on my list as an option but I admit, I might have played Switzerland but I was rooting for EOS as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123
Evan's shirt is awesome, and those shades!

I'm having a lot of fun with Instagram too. I have a very similar username to my Disboards name. Very similar. I haven't tried photosynth.
Ok, gonna have to check it out! Try photosynth, it's a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna
Cynthia, it feels like I last commented several updates ago - but I have a good excuse: I was in Paris (including 1.5 days in DLP - need to use that AP I got in the spring) for 5 days last week. And besides that work is just crazy...
Very good excuse!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna
I really love how relaxing your vacation sounds! Katharina and I were at OKW twice on our last trip, once for a wonderful breakfast at Olivias before heading to Typhoon Lagoon and once on our way to DTD, so we did take that lovely boat ride as well. I absolutely get the laid back atmosphere, but I think the fact that it is so spread out would scare me away. I feel like I would want a car there, but then I am not sure how much I would enjoy driving... But your report makes me truly consider it for a trip in the future - even though the current plans are to try to get a studio at VWL for the next trip...
It's a very different experience than a lot of the other resorts. In the off season, if it was cold, I might not love it as much but I'd stay there again in a heartbeat! I bet you would really enjoy a studio near hospitality house, best of all worlds and so relaxing!

I'm excited to stay at VWL next month!!!

Last edited by eandesmom; 09-02-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #335
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

I'm here, Cynthia, and all caught up! Thank goodness for your chapter links.

Woo! I can't believe the whirlwind departure that you had! Leaves me breathless! Love the sleeping kids pics from the airplane!

Oh, how absolutely lovely Old Key West is!!! I want, want, want to stay there now! Especially on seeing that the one bedroom sleeps five. Perfect for us since Chelsea and Connor can no longer share a bed and Charles gets cranky if he has to share with Connor.

Perfect coffee on the verandah view -- love the mug!

Great day at DtD -- Charles is the same way about eating.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #336
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Can you guess?

Here.

Recognize it?

Cannot imagine why not.

It is.... the bathroom.
You never forget that first Disney experience.

Quote:
On Evan's agenda..Sunglasses. He wanted to use his own money for it, after he somehow conned Jeff into paying half. Still not sure how me pulled that one off but it didn’t come out of his souvenir fund.
THis kid is good. Any chance he can negotiate with China on our national debt?

Quote:
Find another bathroom.

Sigh.
Call me crazy, but I'm finding a pattern here.

Quote:
At this point, my darling husband started to get the growls. You know, the stomach growls. The “hey, I am a grown man and need more than 2 boxes of sugar coated crap to get through the day” growl. It is NOT pretty when this happens. In fact, it is more like a snarl. 1.5 hours in the shops and the snarl had arrived. In full force.
1.5 hours in the shops sounds like enough waiting. Food is a fair trade.

Quote:
As we went we looked at menus for EOS, Cap’n Jacks and WPE. Evan really wanted to go to EOS. I mean really REALLY wanted to go there.

And Dr. Jones snarled.....

I DON'T WANT A SANDWICH!
Aw, come on. Anyone who says this has obviously never tried the Hawaiian BBQ there.

Quote:
So what was it that Jeff wanted?

This beauty

He wanted a football?

Quote:
Jeff liked his pie but whined that it was too much pastry and not enough meat. That is a normal whine for Jeff though, servings are never big enough or have enough meat so take that with a little grain of salt.
That'll teach ya to turn up your nose at EOS. Next time, go for the Hawaiian BBQ.

Quote:
Anyone know what he has in his mouth?
I'm afraid to ask.

Quote:
Eric added his new pins to his lanyard
Love that Alaska pin!

Quote:
Ok, THAT didn't work so well. Let’s go back to normal mode.
But the first one was great!

Quote:
Nice one!
Old 09-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #337
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I had a very yummy meal in Cooks once, the portion was huge and I had to leave some, so unlike me! I'm glad my DH likes shopping as we do a lot of that on holiday.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #338
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

The food at Cookes looked good !!I ate there once and was pleased , also had the fried candy bar which was delish but soooo rich !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #340
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
Love the instagram pics. I can't wait to take some in October.
I haven't gotten the hang of the whole thing yet but it does have some really fun features with the pictures that's for sure! I'll be playing more in Oct as well I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
So glad you got to stop at the rita stand... most important stop in all of Downtown Disney, if you ask me!
I'd never been there before, can you believe it? I liked the grapefruit, but would go back to a traditional next time. Glad I tried it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I love that the first place you stopped was the.....bathroom. It sounds so much like my DH.
It was so typical. And we did fill up our water bottles there and drained them before the next stop so...there you go I guess. Better to be hydrated!

Quote:
I'm glad you were able to hit most of the stores you wanted to hit and that everyone (except Jeff) found something they wanted.
Jeff didn't really want anything for himself. He was saving up for something later in the trip. There was one shirt, and now I can't recall what it was, that seemed SO perfect for him but he wasn't in interested.

Quote:
That fish and chips looks yummy. We've eaten at Raglan twice now, but never Cookies...I'll have to keep that in mind.
The boys thought it was really good. I would try it, if it wasn't so hot out. In that kind of heat, fried fish has zero appeal! Much as I love fish and chips. I would eat there again, overall it was quite good and a decent value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
I also think that having that boat ride to DTD is an awesome +...That along with Olivia's are def nice amenities to have at OKW...
The boat ride, that pool, Olivia's, the Gurgling Suitcase...LOVE OKW.

Quote:
(Gonna have to try it sometime cause we just bit the Disney Bullet and purchased 80 points in DVC ...home base Beach Club ...plan on adding 25 points a year during the next couple years...)
Congrats and welcome home! That is VERY exciting!!! We started with 105 at SSR and will most likely be adding on in the next month or so. Since I'm already out of points. But the 105 did get us a full week in a 1 bedroom, using 2 years worth of points so it was the right number for us, to start and see what we thought before adding on more. You will LOVE it. I the BCV. THe next trip is hopefully in a Treehouse but if not, more likely to be either SSR or AKV Kidani for a variety of factors but I'm sure we will be at BC one of these days. I'd originally thought our add on would be at a different resort but am planning to keep it all at SSR instead.

I see your upcoming title....no Alice???

Quote:
Cookes of Dublin's looks pretty nice all in all...I too have heard the food growl... and you're right sugar doesn't cut it... (I'd be surprised if there were very many places you're going to be able to get Salmon as good as you can get at home...
Too true, as a result I generally don't order salmon when we are in FL, if I do fish it's usually other kinds. So I kind of got what I paid for, really. The salad itself was lovely. We'd eat there again for sure, though I still really want to try EOS!

Quote:
Love those Lego sculptures...we always hit that store...I think David thinks its an actual attraction...

We've never even been in. We went into the one at DLR but never this one, somehow missed the window. Plus the E's were never that into lego's. The liked them but it wasn't an obsession at all.

Thank heavens there isn't a build a bear though, Eric would still want to go in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
Ok, first of all....just, WOW! I feel like we're the Sisterhood of the Traveling Coffee Mug. Or something ridiculous like that.
Sisterhood of the Traveling Coffee Mug

I that! OMG I want to steal it as a TR title or something for a girls trip.

Quote:
My vacations always - ALWAYS! - start with coffee early in the morning. In my case, walking to the food court to fill up my Refillable-Only-At-This-Resort-For-the-Length-of-THIS-Stay mug. However on a trip to the Gulf Coast this summer, we rented a condo with a verandah and I savored many a cup of coffee while enjoying refreshing breezes (ok ok, TS Debbie's cranky remnants) and watching palm trees sway. ....But I digress.
Ah, the Refillable-Only-At-This-Resort-For-the-Length-of-THIS-Stay mug. I have to say...it's just not the same, drinking out of plastic vesus a real mug. though if the only real mug is styrofoam...plastic wins hands down. Or tiny...bigger wins. But the food court coffee... We've taken to packing Via if there will not be a brewer in the room

I suppose coffee with Debbie's cranky remnants is better than coffee with Debbies rain and wind in the actual moment? I know a few DISers who had some rather bad luck with Debbie and Vero timing.

Quote:
I love OKW. Or rather, I love what I've seen of it from the window of a ME bus, and have vowed that if I'm ever fortunate enough to buy DVC, I will find a way to make this "home!" Meanwhile, I'll keep leaving nose prints and little drool marks on the bus window as I go by.

Anyway!.....I'm a friend of TarzansKat and followed the link to your TR from her PTR! Glad I came and really looking forward to more!

I had originally really really wanted OKW as our home resort. The good news is it wasn't really needed as you can usuallly get in there. And dues were less elsewhere. But between the treehouses and the longer contract I could get, SSR beat it out. Still, I truly think that for all practical purposes OKW could very well be our default resort and am quite positive there will be future stays there!

Any friend of TK's is welcome here!
Old 09-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #341
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Glad that you were able to get everything done that you wanted to do in DTD.
We really did, it was nice!

Quote:
I've heard good things about Cooke's but for some reason I always forget about it when we are in DTD. The fish and chips look yummy! We'll have to check it out next time.
The boys loved them and they did have some nice options besides just fish and chips. I think we'd all eat there again.

Quote:
Beautiful pictures on the boat ride back to OKW!
It is such a pretty ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I'm here, Cynthia, and all caught up! Thank goodness for your chapter links.

Woo! I can't believe the whirlwind departure that you had! Leaves me breathless! Love the sleeping kids pics from the airplane!
Jackie! I hope life is starting to settle down for you, I see you have an update today so I'm off to go read it. The pictures are my proof that they DID sleep, despite their protests otherwise.

Quote:
Oh, how absolutely lovely Old Key West is!!! I want, want, want to stay there now! Especially on seeing that the one bedroom sleeps five. Perfect for us since Chelsea and Connor can no longer share a bed and Charles gets cranky if he has to share with Connor.
I can TOTALLY see you guys at OKW. It's got everything you love...except a beach but the vibe is perfect for your group I'd think and "away" enough to really chill after any kind of long hot day or melt down. This is going to sound crazy but much as I love the location of the BC and SAB, I honestly think I prefer OKW. Granted, I'd have to stay in a 1 bedroom at BCV to truly be able to say that but it is just so lovely and relaxing and oh...I wish I was there now!

Quote:
Perfect coffee on the verandah view -- love the mug!

Great day at DtD -- Charles is the same way about eating.
Most people are at a certain point I think. I was probably in better shape than the rest since I'd had my greek yogurt so had a little protein going for me. The rest were fueled on sugar.

Loved that verandah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
You never forget that first Disney experience.
Not quite the same as the first view of the castle though, is it?

Quote:
THis kid is good. Any chance he can negotiate with China on our national debt?
Don't tempt him.

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I'm finding a pattern here.
Shocker.

Quote:
1.5 hours in the shops sounds like enough waiting. Food is a fair trade.
it is

Quote:
Aw, come on. Anyone who says this has obviously never tried the Hawaiian BBQ there.

He wanted a football?

That'll teach ya to turn up your nose at EOS. Next time, go for the Hawaiian BBQ.
I think he missed out. Still. But he definitely had his heart set on Cookes and I honestly don't think he even "really" looked at the EOS menu which certainly had plenty of things besides sandwiches. We were all robbed! No, not really, Cookes was on my list to try too...though I'd have preferred EOS.

Someday my sandwich will come.

Quote:
I'm afraid to ask.
Lets just say the drink in the picture used to have 2 of something.

Quote:
Love that Alaska pin!
Isn't that one cool? I don't think he got a cruise specific pin this summer now that I think about it

Quote:
But the first one was great!

Nice one!
I got a bit better at it as time went on, they are very fun to take!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
I had a very yummy meal in Cooks once, the portion was huge and I had to leave some, so unlike me! I'm glad my DH likes shopping as we do a lot of that on holiday.
The fish was huge. I am 99% sure neither boy finished their fries and Jeff took care of the leftovers.

Evan loves shopping, he's probably the worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
The food at Cookes looked good !!I ate there once and was pleased , also had the fried candy bar which was delish but soooo rich !!!
LOL! Fried candy bar? I don't recall seeing that but then again we were stuffed. There was some special dessert they were pushing but we were too full to think about it.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #342
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can TOTALLY see you guys at OKW. It's got everything you love...except a beach but the vibe is perfect for your group I'd think and "away" enough to really chill after any kind of long hot day or melt down. This is going to sound crazy but much as I love the location of the BC and SAB, I honestly think I prefer OKW. Granted, I'd have to stay in a 1 bedroom at BCV to truly be able to say that but it is just so lovely and relaxing and oh...I wish I was there now!
That's what I was thinking, too. It has the kind of vibe we all love -- relaxing and tropical. I think we would all love it -- I am already daydreaming of drinks and dinner at Olivia's and morning coffee with Charles on a verandah -- do you know if all the one-bedrooms have balconies or was that a specific request?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #343
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
That's what I was thinking, too. It has the kind of vibe we all love -- relaxing and tropical. I think we would all love it -- I am already daydreaming of drinks and dinner at Olivia's and morning coffee with Charles on a verandah -- do you know if all the one-bedrooms have balconies or was that a specific request?
They all have verandahs Either golf course view, or water view. Fairly sure there are a lot more golf course views than water which is why I got a little nutty on the room request. We aren't golfers and while I guess it's sort of pastoral, just not our idea of an ideal view. It is such the vibe you love...from the piped in Jimmy Buffet music on the bus to the overall relaxed feel everywhere you go. Tropical, relaxed, perfection!

I had originally wanted a marina view, when we were booked in the Hospitality House area but gave it up for the extra door/bathroom entry. If you didn't mind the door situation, then I think that would be even better.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #344
Poolrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Congrats and welcome home! That is VERY exciting!!! We started with 105 at SSR and will most likely be adding on in the next month or so. Since I'm already out of points. But the 105 did get us a full week in a 1 bedroom, using 2 years worth of points so it was the right number for us, to start and see what we thought before adding on more. You will LOVE it. I the BCV. THe next trip is hopefully in a Treehouse but if not, more likely to be either SSR or AKV Kidani for a variety of factors but I'm sure we will be at BC one of these days. I'd originally thought our add on would be at a different resort but am planning to keep it all at SSR instead.
Addonitis stikes early and often and there is no vaccination. I know because I just added on myself..... again...
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 09-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #345
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Addonitis stikes early and often and there is no vaccination. I know because I just added on myself..... again...
again?

different resort or more at a home you already have?

I've been rather proud of myself I haven't done it yet. Didn't really have the need so was waiting till I did. I'd originally planned on adding in Dec but think it will be Oct or Nov instead but we will see!

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: