Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





 
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #1696
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 17,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
http://blog.wdwinfo.com/2013/04/01/l...magic-kingdom/

Please read ALL the way to the bottom!
Awesome! Gave me a chuckle, but since I would pick wawa coffee over starbucks any day I tend to agree.

Really, all I want is the Main Street Bakery to stay the same.
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
MEK is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #1697
MEK
DIS Veteran
 
MEK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Middletown, DE
Posts: 17,334

I have eaten at the Wave (dinner) three times and have consistently great meals each time. Your entrees look really yummy! I agree the ambiance is just "eh", but the food is good and its a great place to have dinner if you drive there because you can walk to the MK and right back to your car. Score!

My kids are fans of the dinning plan too. It really works very well for teens and tweens.

Do you know if DVC members can still go to the TOTWL lounge? I seriously wouldn't mind going up there this summer. Do you need to be staying on property is my second question? Boy am I going to miss staying on property, but I'll survive.

I think Jeff deserves several martinis after it taking hours to return the rental car.

Was Kendall thrilled when she got her present? I can't wait to see what they both thought about it.
__________________

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL
MEK is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #1698
dizneeat
DIS Veteran
 
dizneeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austria
Posts: 13,385

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Do you know if DVC members can still go to the TOTWL lounge? I seriously wouldn't mind going up there this summer. Do you need to be staying on property is my second question? Boy am I going to miss staying on property, but I'll survive.
YES, the TotWL is still open to all DVC members. There are just a few blockout days, which are actually main holidays.
You need to stay on property though. They will check for your blue DVC card and your room key to ANY WDW resort.
__________________
Players: Karin Tom Find our trips here: Magicaldisneytrips
DLRP: Aug 12 - 21, 2014 to put our APs to good use
WDW, DCL: July 26 Magic/Med March 29 Magic/Western
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #1699
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran
 
mickeystoontown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bayou Country, La.
Posts: 24,163

We have a dinner ADR at The Wave for our upcoming trip and I was happy to read that you all enjoyed your meal there. The food you ordered looked really good.

What a great 16th birthday gift for Kendall! I bet she was over the moon happy since, like you said, she's thinking of being a vet. I'm trying to come up with something "cool" for Hunter's 16th B-Day in the World but haven't decided yet.
__________________
2014 pre-trip report: Doesn't everybody have Disney on speed dial? Seriously? Mickeystoontown does! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3258703
2013 trip report: 1 crazy family+2 resorts+5 parks+1 snake+1 surprise= A Mickeystoontown Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3122381



mickeystoontown is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #1700
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it
 
afwdwfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 9,644

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Jeff had really taken one for the team all day and we decided that the kids could wait in the waiting area while the adults went into the lounge.
So we did!

The man deserved this
Definitely. That might be the best decision you've made all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
First up, the birthday girl. You didn't really think all you were getting for your 16th was a pedicure did you? Nope, she was getting the Backstage Safari Tour, with Jeff. You have to be 16 to go on this so she was just making the cut off in time!
Ok, that's a pretty cool birthday gift. And I'm sure Jeff didn't mind tagging along either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
But I'd eat there again in a heartbeat and in fact did, for breakfast, in Oct (which was wonderful!). It is a bit of a hidden gem if you ask me.
Glad to see a good review! It definitely does fly under the radar. It is a place I've thought of trying, but it just always seems to lose out to another option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I am not really sure why but we haven’t seen Wishes much at all, in fact I don’t think we’ve ever seen it while inside the park.
What??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Once from a boat on the way to dinner, once from the marina at the GF and now from the Top of the World. We've seen Illuminations several times but for whatever reason we always seem to be off on the timing for Wishes itself.
I'm sure it is something to behold from Top of the World, but you need to see it from the park. Yeah, the crowd sucks, but there's just something about standing there in the MK and soaking up that atmosphere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I have no idea why, I didn't see it, but both boys were CONVINCED that the driver looked like my dad's brother. Who frankly is the last person anyone would want driving a bus at Disney and made the whole thing that much more odd. And hilarious. In an overtired silly way.


Did he hit any curbs or run over anybody?
afwdwfan is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #1701
glennbo123
DIS Veteran
 
glennbo123's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 8,880

That's great that Jeff was able to take care of any leftover cheesecake. I'd have helped if I was there too...I hate to see anything like that go to waste.

I'm so glad that you guys got to go to the Top of the World Lounge! I remember seeing that they opened it up to people staying at other DVC resorts for a while. I'm not sure if they're still permitting others to do it, but it's great that you got to experience it. I went while on a BLT tour when it first opened.
glennbo123 is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #1702
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy
 
FauntleroyFAN07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls
Posts: 8,622

watching wishes from there sounds good, we have seen it many times from on top of the contemporary and loved it there.

those glasses are cool, we got some that have that same shape from the food and wine festival this year and love them.
__________________
ME ~ DW ~DS ~ DD

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
FauntleroyFAN07 is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #1703
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran
 
jeremysdisneymom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,965

What a great gift for Kendall! Anxious to hear all about it.

Never ate at the Wave. Food looks good. Glad you enjoyed it.

I love watching the fireworks from the lounge at BLT. We have stayed there twice and that is one of my favorite parts. BTW, children can go in the lounge. Jeremy likes to go order a soda in there.

Can't wait to read about your AK day.

Oh, just showed Jeremy the pictures of the cranes and he was estatic. Tom is on a squad run so he will have to see tomorrow. He is going to be excited as well.
__________________
[/url]

jeremysdisneymom is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #1704
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 12,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
So cool!

I would love this for a present, as would Brooklynn, when she gets older.
Oh it's a wonderful thing, I'd have liked to go and the E's were most jealous. I'll talk about it in more detail but it was a great experience and in the big picture of Disney tours, pretty reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
What a neat present for Kendall! I can't wait to hear what she thought of it!
I will cover it in more detail. A little hard as I wasn't there but I did get some scoop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
Yeay for the souvenir gods bestowing more money -- I wondered if that would happen. LOL.
I struggled with that one and ended up lowering the amount earlier in the trip so the total felt right. I didn't want sad kids begging who had spend all their money.

And there would have been. At least 2 of them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Princess View Post
I have never read a bad review of The Wave -- everyone always seems to really enjoy it.

Seeing the fireworks from that vantage point is the perfect way to end the day!!!
It was a lovely evening all around

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Awesome! Gave me a chuckle, but since I would pick wawa coffee over starbucks any day I tend to agree.
Having never had wawa coffee I can't confirm one way or another. I have, of course, had my share of Starbucks and have a lot of opinions on that subject. LOL!


Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Really, all I want is the Main Street Bakery to stay the same.
I want it the same, but with drinkable coffee. Frankly I'd be thrilled if it were JUST drinkable coffee and no espresso drinks. For multiple reasons.

1. Speed of service. Pouring a cup of coffee is VASTLY faster than making espresso drinks, even if it is out of a machine versus a traditional barista hand made drink.

2. Speed of service. Oh wait. I said that. But seriously, it's huge difference. MSB gets such a backlog as it is, a cart for espresso based beverages that just has that would be a more efficient supplement.

3. Coffee is king. Seriously. For once I would like a place that focuses on a good cup of coffee, nothing more and nothing less. As a black coffee drinker I get tired of feeling like a second class citizen. The reality is that the profit margins are significantly larger on the espresso beverages and well, it shows. Good coffee. A variety. It shouldn't be so hard.

Off.soapbox.now.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I have eaten at the Wave (dinner) three times and have consistently great meals each time. Your entrees look really yummy! I agree the ambiance is just "eh", but the food is good and its a great place to have dinner if you drive there because you can walk to the MK and right back to your car. Score!

My kids are fans of the dinning plan too. It really works very well for teens and tweens.
It does. I don't see though how they can remotely complain it saves anything anymore. Even if you maximize the dollar value of where you use it at, at best case, you break even. I'd love to see the math where it says you still save 20%. Breaking even isn't necessarily a bad thing but in many cases, you spend more now and frankly that makes me sad. I'm not sure if it is b/c they built in the cost of that darn mug or what but I just can't see justifying it on the next trip which bums my kids out to no end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Do you know if DVC members can still go to the TOTWL lounge? I seriously wouldn't mind going up there this summer. Do you need to be staying on property is my second question? Boy am I going to miss staying on property, but I'll survive.

I think Jeff deserves several martinis after it taking hours to return the rental car.

Was Kendall thrilled when she got her present? I can't wait to see what they both thought about it.
Yes, but you need to check black out dates. There really aren't that many though and you have to be staying on property. So, you can go in Oct but prob not in June. Pool hopping has far more blackouts than TOWL.

He did deserve several, not sure if he had more than the one. She was intrigued by the present and seemed excited (as excited as she gets lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
YES, the TotWL is still open to all DVC members. There are just a few blockout days, which are actually main holidays.
You need to stay on property though. They will check for your blue DVC card and your room key to ANY WDW resort.
Ditto, and they do check both and will do a headcount of whom you are bringing. I am not sure if there is a guest limit, they didn't check everyones KTTW, just mine and my member card.
eandesmom is online now  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #1705
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 12,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
We have a dinner ADR at The Wave for our upcoming trip and I was happy to read that you all enjoyed your meal there. The food you ordered looked really good.
it was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
What a great 16th birthday gift for Kendall! I bet she was over the moon happy since, like you said, she's thinking of being a vet. I'm trying to come up with something "cool" for Hunter's 16th B-Day in the World but haven't decided yet.
Well I don't think she is still thinking of being a vet (not because of the tour though) but is passionate about animals and it was a good fit. The illuminations cruise was magical, though spendy and a pretty neat group activity. I did like this being really something that was just for her and all about her.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Definitely. That might be the best decision you've made all day.
He'd earned it, no doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Ok, that's a pretty cool birthday gift. And I'm sure Jeff didn't mind tagging along either.
He was pretty excited about it too

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Glad to see a good review! It definitely does fly under the radar. It is a place I've thought of trying, but it just always seems to lose out to another option.
We'd had the same situation more than once and I'm glad I just made an executive decision on it, it worked out really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
I'm sure it is something to behold from Top of the World, but you need to see it from the park. Yeah, the crowd sucks, but there's just something about standing there in the MK and soaking up that atmosphere.
We have, just not in years. This absolutely suited our mood. For whatever reason the whole clan LOVES illuminations and if given a choice, always wants that, not Wishes. I love it all so I'm good either way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Did he hit any curbs or run over anybody?
LOL! No. He actually doesn't drive. Or walk for that matter. Long story but a pretty cantankerous soul. The anti CM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
That's great that Jeff was able to take care of any leftover cheesecake. I'd have helped if I was there too...I hate to see anything like that go to waste.
A man after Jeff's heart.

He felt pretty gross after eating all of it. And he did. Eat all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm so glad that you guys got to go to the Top of the World Lounge! I remember seeing that they opened it up to people staying at other DVC resorts for a while. I'm not sure if they're still permitting others to do it, but it's great that you got to experience it. I went while on a BLT tour when it first opened.
They are on most nights actually, seems to be a permanent DVC benefit, at least through 2013 except for a few blackout nights as long as you are staying on property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
watching wishes from there sounds good, we have seen it many times from on top of the contemporary and loved it there.
It was lovely. Far away and in some ways I liked it better from the GF marina but it was a neat experience and I"m glad we did it. Jeff really loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
those glasses are cool, we got some that have that same shape from the food and wine festival this year and love them.
I almost bought the F&W set but figured they shouldn't go in the dishwasher with the painted decal so decided they weren't practical enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
What a great gift for Kendall! Anxious to hear all about it.
It was fun to give an "experience" versus another overpriced outfit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
Never ate at the Wave. Food looks good. Glad you enjoyed it.

I love watching the fireworks from the lounge at BLT. We have stayed there twice and that is one of my favorite parts. BTW, children can go in the lounge. Jeremy likes to go order a soda in there.
Great food and we enjoyed TOWL. How is the view from inside compared to outside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
Can't wait to read about your AK day.

Oh, just showed Jeremy the pictures of the cranes and he was estatic. Tom is on a squad run so he will have to see tomorrow. He is going to be excited as well.
Loved those cranes, she really made me smile every time I saw her!
eandesmom is online now  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #1706
KatMark
DIS Veteran
 
KatMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 38,123

Mark and I have often wondered about The Wave and your pictures are making us think about it for December. The food looks yummy.

What a way to cap the evening...with fireworks from BLT! You got some really great shots of the fireworks.

What a nice gift for DD.
KatMark is online now  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #1707
eandesmom
I'm with Beast
 
eandesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 12,858

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Mark and I have often wondered about The Wave and your pictures are making us think about it for December. The food looks yummy.

What a way to cap the evening...with fireworks from BLT! You got some really great shots of the fireworks.

What a nice gift for DD.
I would think you guys would like it a lot and in December, what a great location with out traveling a ton.

It was a really fun night, a lovely lovely end to a long but full day.
eandesmom is online now  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 PM   #1708
Poolrat
DIS Veteran
 
Poolrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 8,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Once we ordered, we had a few goodies to pass out.

First up, the birthday girl. You didn't really think all you were getting for your 16th was a pedicure did you? Nope, she was getting the Backstage Safari Tour, with Jeff. You have to be 16 to go on this so she was just making the cut off in time!



In case you can't tell it is a picture of the vet tables, as it was a behind the scenes tour or "A fascinating 3-hour look at how Disney Cast Members tend to the 1,500-plus inhabitants of Disney’s Animal Kingdom park. " For a girl thinking about veterinary school, it was the perfect gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
So cool!

I would love this for a present, as would Brooklynn, when she gets older.
I got that tour for Jennifer when she turned 16. She enjoyed it. I may have been more excited that she was at times but she is kind of "low energy"

Chris got the Segway tour. He liked that one too.


I did have a great dinner at the Wave. Would not say it surprised me but it sort of did. Great service and I did like the trios of desserts. Made me not feel so guilty, I got three to try so I did not have to decide too much, except to figure out which three I wanted.



Still have to make it to the top of the World. {sigh} Someday but Poly beach seems to usually win out.
__________________
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV MT- POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL?Can't wait to go back
Poolrat is offline  
Old 04-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #1709
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Mndisneygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,160

I love the view of Wishes from TOTWL!! I agree- very calm and relaxing. Our kids were allowed into the lounge while we waited. We just got soda and water but we were able to sit in one of the little side "rooms". Very cool!!
I can't believe you haven't seen Wishes from MK!! Crazy! You must rectify that (although it's yucky for the crowds!).

The Wave food looked good! Very cool birthday gift for Kendall, I'd love to hear about that tour. Hope they still have it in oh, about 4 years when Sarah hits 16. She's ALL about animals!!
I think you all had a pretty great day - busy exhausting and mostly fun!
Mndisneygirl is offline  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:12 AM   #1710
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of
 
scottny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 12,855

That does sound like a long time to get off the ship and the shuttle.
Mara is so good. Love that place.
Yeah for the Savannah view.
Glad they swam.
Never could be tired of seeing giraffes.
The Wave is a good restaurant. Only had 1 bad thing there and it wasn’t really bad just described wrong.
December I am going to have to remember to go to TOTWL. I always forget.
All caught up again.
scottny is offline  
 

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: