Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
mermster
Mouseketeer
 
mermster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 201

Disney cruise themed dinner

We have our first Christmas cruise planned on the Fantasy this year. At the moment, my 11 year old daughter does not know about it. I am planning to reveal the surprise with a scavenger hunt that ultimately leads to a countdown calendar (which we always start at 100 days and have in the same spot). Thought that we might cap it off with a Disney cruise themed dinner that night. Anyone have any ideas for food or presentation?
Thanks in advance!!!
__________________


(Me) (DH) (DD12) (DM)
mermster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,870

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermster View Post
We have our first Christmas cruise planned on the Fantasy this year. At the moment, my 11 year old daughter does not know about it. I am planning to reveal the surprise with a scavenger hunt that ultimately leads to a countdown calendar (which we always start at 100 days and have in the same spot). Thought that we might cap it off with a Disney cruise themed dinner that night. Anyone have any ideas for food or presentation?
Thanks in advance!!!
A Mickey-head cake for dessert? Bake two round layers. Cut one across the diameter for ears, and position them against the other round layer as the head. You could do hamburgers shaped the same way. Put ketchup on the plates in the shape of Mickey heads.

If you have a local party store that carries Disney stuff, you could get ideas centered around whatever plates/napkins you could find there, or check online.

Or you could make it a nautical theme.

It all depends on how elaborate you want to be.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
Prozac07
Mouseketeer
 
Prozac07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 251

For my FE gift on my last cruise, I made a recipe book from the DISBoards cooking/recipe board on here.

The index for all the DCL food is here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2912560&page=2 (go about a quarter of the way down the page under "Cruise Recipes")

And the actual recipes can be found on the pages of this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1575103

Hope that helps plan your surprise! We surprised my mom-, dad-, sis-, and grandma-in-law with that cruise for Christmas, and their reactions were amazing... I'm sure you'll have even more fun with your kiddo!
__________________

New Years @ CS Dec 2009-Jan 2010
Engaged @ Cinderella's Castle 1/1/10 Birthdays @ CS Sept 2010-Oct 2010 Married @ Wedding Pavilion 4/22/11 Honeymoon@ POR Apr 2011 DVC SSR Owners May 2011 5 night Magic to Bahamas May 2012 DVC Aulani Owners May 2012 AKV Kidani May 2012 7 night Fantasy to W. Caribbean Apr 2013 AKV Owners Apr 2013 AKV Kidani Pre- and Post-Cruise stay Aug 2014 4-night DVC Member Cruise Aug 2014 Christmas at SSR Dec 2014




Prozac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #4
mermster
Mouseketeer
 
mermster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 201

thanks!

Thanks for the great ideas jdb in AZ and Prozac07!!
Can't wait to do "the big reveal"! It's killing me to keep it a secret!
__________________


(Me) (DH) (DD12) (DM)
mermster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 27,148

We often do a nautical or pirate themed pre cruise party.

I make up piratey names for all the food I am serving and I baked ship shaped cookies (found a cruise ship cookie cutter).

You could do something like....

Castaway Cay Chicken Parm
Buccaneer Burgers
Yo Ho Ho Hot Dogs
Walk the Plank Flank Steak
Pieces of Eight Pasta
Shiver Me Timbers Tomato Salad
Gangplank Green Salad
Treasure Chest Chicken Wings
Captain Jack Black Bean & Corn Salad

Fruit Punch
Rum
Beer (Grog)
Wine

here is a pic of table and of the cookies and the cookie cake I ordered.







I found some nice nautical decorations at www.orientaltrading.com

MJ
__________________
31 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
mermster
Mouseketeer
 
mermster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
We often do a nautical or pirate themed pre cruise party.

I make up piratey names for all the food I am serving and I baked ship shaped cookies (found a cruise ship cookie cutter).

You could do something like....

Castaway Cay Chicken Parm
Buccaneer Burgers
Yo Ho Ho Hot Dogs
Walk the Plank Flank Steak
Pieces of Eight Pasta
Shiver Me Timbers Tomato Salad
Gangplank Green Salad
Treasure Chest Chicken Wings
Captain Jack Black Bean & Corn Salad

Fruit Punch
Rum
Beer (Grog)
Wine

here is a pic of table and of the cookies and the cookie cake I ordered.







I found some nice nautical decorations at www.orientaltrading.com

MJ


WOW!!!!!!! Love everything - especially those cookies! Thanks!
__________________


(Me) (DH) (DD12) (DM)
mermster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 27,148

This is the receipe I used for the cookies and icing.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/n...ipe/index.html

MJ
__________________
31 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
mermster
Mouseketeer
 
mermster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
This is the receipe I used for the cookies and icing.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/n...ipe/index.html

MJ

Great! Thanks again!!
__________________


(Me) (DH) (DD12) (DM)
mermster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
mrp4352
DIS Veteran
 
mrp4352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 2,253

Frozen umbrella drinks!! No cruise party is complete without them!

We use the pre-made drinks for the adults and stop at Sonic for a Route 44 slushie for the kids. (for the kids, we add whipped cream and cherries on top after splitting the slushie up into their cups) You can find the umbrellas at the party store.

We also like to do a fresh fruit salad in a watermelon bowl.
__________________
Smiles! Michelle




Disney Dream Maiden Voyage trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3#post40042393
May 21, 2012 Yukon Ho! Wonder cruise report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2937171
mrp4352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #10
Gillett
Earning My Ears
 
Gillett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 17

Yum!
__________________
Gillett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
sgc1107
sgc1107
 
sgc1107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 644

You need to record it and share!! I don't have kids yet but love watching videos of parents surprising their kids!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
__________________




sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
cruisinwithmaandpa
Happiness is being grandparents
 
cruisinwithmaandpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac07 View Post
For my FE gift on my last cruise, I made a recipe book from the DISBoards cooking/recipe board on here.

The index for all the DCL food is here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2912560&page=2 (go about a quarter of the way down the page under "Cruise Recipes")

And the actual recipes can be found on the pages of this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1575103

Hope that helps plan your surprise! We surprised my mom-, dad-, sis-, and grandma-in-law with that cruise for Christmas, and their reactions were amazing... I'm sure you'll have even more fun with your kiddo!
Thanks for sharing this Prozac07, we loved your FE recipe book
cruisinwithmaandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises
 
mmouse37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Too far from the Magic!!
Posts: 27,148

This was a pic when we surprised our kids for the MV of the Magic. This was Christmas 1997.




Many cruises later and the 3 of them on a DCL cruise back in 2005.




Our son just got engaged on Fantasy this summer!!! The DCL cycle continues!!

MJ
__________________
31 DCL Cruises and Counting!
Disney Magic - 19 times - Official Maiden Voyage July 30, 1998, Re-imagined Magic October 27, 2013
Disney Wonder - 5 times
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #14
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled
 
jdb in AZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 6,870

Love the cruise cookies. You "inspired" me to get a ship shape cookie cutter. Ebay is my friend.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
iloverags2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 2,332

Do you have any old sailaway drink cups around the house? If not, maybe someone here on the boards could give up a few, or you could find some on ebay? Those are always fun to have during a cruise theme party! Ice cream drinks/punch are perfect in them!
__________________
Cindy


iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.