Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 PM   #76
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

The view from the ship is so nice. I am fairly certain that every day I will turn to Garret and say "I could get used to a view like this. Yep, I'm used to it." Except he hasn't seen Tangled so who knows if he'll get it?

Ahhh I want to be DVC so bad! That folder is GORGEOUS and looks so high quality. One day, one day.

Glad to know you can get in and out of Nassau quickly! And I will be sure everyone in my party brings their license!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

Old 10-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #77
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
The view from the ship is so nice. I am fairly certain that every day I will turn to Garret and say "I could get used to a view like this. Yep, I'm used to it." Except he hasn't seen Tangled so who knows if he'll get it?

Ahhh I want to be DVC so bad! That folder is GORGEOUS and looks so high quality. One day, one day.

Glad to know you can get in and out of Nassau quickly! And I will be sure everyone in my party brings their license!

Yep, not too bad! You should look into the excursions, though!
Still can't believe I did that!
2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #78
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Wow! It's been a long time! I can't even say for certain where the time has gone. I've been busy at home and busy at work. Our internet was also down at work, or too spotty to post there for a while - so that was fun!

I'm hoping you all haven't given up on me! I'm off to put together another chapter now!

2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West
Old 10-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #79
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridora View Post
Wow! It's been a long time! I can't even say for certain where the time has gone. I've been busy at home and busy at work. Our internet was also down at work, or too spotty to post there for a while - so that was fun!

I'm hoping you all haven't given up on me! I'm off to put together another chapter now!

Believe me, I know how life can get in the way of posting! I thought about you when those storms rolled over Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. Did you get any bad weather?

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 10-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #80
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Chapter 12
I Wanna Know, Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

It began to rain on our return to the ship. We were glad we had seen some of Nassau, but were equally as glad to be back on the ship and not out in the rain.

We made a stop by our stateroom to…I don’t know exactly, but probably drop off a few things and pick pick up some others. While there, we noticed we had a pretty good view of the Carnival Sensation from our verandah.

Life boats!

rainy sky

It was ready for its close-up!

Here's our position on the map on the tv!

We hit Cabana’s for lunch and then split up for a bit.

the rainy view from our table

I still think it's a nice view!

How Allison really feels about her brother!

And this is them for pictures!

Allison usually gets a hair wrap at Disney World sometime while we’re there. We had noticed a hair braiding station set up beside the pool and decided it would be a great time to go get that done.

There is a photo album there behind her head with pictures of all the different styles of braiding you could choose from. There were lots of choices!

She also got to choose her beads.

Looking out the window behind the braiding station.

getting started!

I took these next few photos from behind the braiding station, too.

I wouldn't mind living right there!

lots of laundry!

While we were doing that, Luke and Davis went to check out the Oceaneer’s Club/Lab.

And while Allison was in the chair (I made sure it was okay with the sweet girl braiding her hair) I ran around (carefully - it was raining after all!) and took pictures.

Continued here (next post)

Last edited by Bridora; 10-16-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #81
Bridora
DIS Veteran

...Continued

I found the basketball courts!

From up there, I had a nice view of the Carnival Sensation’s top deck. Wanna know what’s up there?

A cool splash/water slide area!

Palm trees!

A closer look at the splash/slide area.

Looking back over Nassau.

I took a stroll around the mostly deserted mini-golf course:
(I think I went through it backwards!)

Atlantis!

Cloudy sky & more of the mini-golf course.

Rain droplets on the rail.

I guess it was around 1:43 at that point!

...Continued (again) here

Old 10-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #82
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Continued...

I made my way back down to the pool deck and got a couple shots of the empty area.

Can you see it raining on the deck?

Rain running down the windows.

It was windy out there!

And here’s a short rainy-day-on-the-ship video:

The boys came back right around the time Allison was getting finished up. Their report on Oceaneers Lab? A little too baby-ish for 10-year-old Luke. They were having an open house at the time, so they were able to walk around and see what was offered there. The Cast Member there told Davis that he would probably find more things to interest him at the Edge. The only catch was the we had to sign a waiver since he was only 10 and the stated ages for Edge are 11-13. No problem!

Davis went ahead and registered Luke at Oceaneers Lab just in case he decided to go back to Oceaneers lab after checking out Edge. That way, if Edge was too old for him, he’d just be able to go straight to Oceaneers Lab without having to go through the registration process. I don’t know what all was involved besides getting a wrist bracelet, though, since I wasn’t with them.

It was off to Edge from there.

There was no registration at Edge. Because the kids are older, they are allowed to come and go as they please there. I asked the Cast Member there about Luke joining in and they said it happens all the time! We signed the waiver and left the kids there to play.

I will admit it was a strange feeling, just leaving them there like that, but Davis and I now had some time to explore the ship at our own pace!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #83
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Great pics of the rainy day on the ship! I remember looking over at the Carnival ship and thinking "hum, sure is plain compared to our ship". Isn't it amazing how clean and nice Nassau looks from the cruise ship? Too bad it wasn't that really that way or we'd have spent more time there. Good gosh! I didn't remember the wind blowing so hard that day until I saw your tree pics.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:02 PM   #84
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Believe me, I know how life can get in the way of posting! I thought about you when those storms rolled over Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas. Did you get any bad weather?
We didn't get any bad weather at home, but we were actually in Eureka Springs over the weekend. We didn't anything severe where we were, but did get quite a bit of rain. There were lots of weather watches/warnings in the area, though.

Quote:
Great pics of the rainy day on the ship! I remember looking over at the Carnival ship and thinking "hum, sure is plain compared to our ship". Isn't it amazing how clean and nice Nassau looks from the cruise ship? Too bad it wasn't that really that way or we'd have spent more time there. Good gosh! I didn't remember the wind blowing so hard that day until I saw your tree pics.
Thanks! Yes, Davis wanted to make sure he had proof that our ship was bigger since his brother is always going on (how brothers do) about how the ships they cruise on are the biggest, best, etc.

I keep wondering if we'd gone over toward Atlantis if our opinion would have been different. The only way to know for sure is to go again, right?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #85
sherylcin
Mouseketeer

Great pictures even with the rain!! Nice to get shots without many people in them. Even a rainy day doesn't sound so bad when there's still so much to do on the ship!
2008 - DVC Members! Animal Kingdom Villas/Boardwalk Villas; 2009 - Offsite at Marriott's Grande Vista; 2010 - Grand Californian Villas in Disneyland; 2011 - BLT and Beach Club; 2012 - Ashton's Surprise 13th BD Trip at POP; 2013-OKW and BC then Offsite for Thanksgiving at Sheraton Vistana Villages
Old 10-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #86
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherylcin View Post
Great pictures even with the rain!! Nice to get shots without many people in them. Even a rainy day doesn't sound so bad when there's still so much to do on the ship!
Thanks! It was a good time to get photos of the pool area, especially. That place was never empty!

I agree - with so many things to do on the ship, we didn't mind the rain.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #87
Bridora
DIS Veteran

I Would Walk 500 Miles

and I would walk 500 more...

That song reminds me of 8th grade.

While the kids were hanging out at Edge, Davis and I walked around the cruise ship, exploring.

And taking pictures, of course:

Did I mention it was my first time on a cruise ship?

I couldnt get enough of the port holes!

One of the shops

One of the beautiful light fixtures on the ship

The Buena Vista Theatre

The Walt Disney Theatre

And again, with flash:

Walt Disney

Very pretty restroom door

Mickey!

I loved most of the art they had hanging in the ship

We toured through the nightclub section of the ship. It seems like most (if not all) the club/lounge areas were connected. What I mean is that you entered one from the hallway, and then somewhere in there was another door leading to the next club/lounge so that you could visit them all in a continuous line. Thats what we did.

Heres an interesting-looking picture:

We cut through Cabanas at one time; so I took the opportunity to snap a few pictures there:

We thought wed sit at a table by the window and the drink machines and have a quick sip of something, but the drink machines were turned off in Cabanas. I took a few pictures from the table instead.

and a picture of the table

...Continued, here and below...

Last edited by Bridora; 10-23-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #88
Bridora
DIS Veteran

…continued from above

We also hung out in our stateroom for a bit.

From our verandah

At separate times, both kids stopped by the room to get their cameras. It seems the kids were having a scavenger hunt in teams of two. Sounds like fun, but the thought of Luke and another, similar-aged boy running freely around the ship was a little scary! I still him as a three-year-old, though!

A bit later, both kids showed up again and Luke was in this get-up:

Ready for the kitchen!

They had baked cookies and he even brought one back for me.

Freddy, our stateroom attendant, had also been in at one time and left this guy:

Tonight was the Pirates in the Caribbean night. He also left an invitation and a pirate bandana for each of us on the bed.

But the kids were back at the room to get their swimming gear. At 8:00 the kids from the Edge were “taking over” the Aqua Duck. I can’t remember for exactly how long, but for maybe 15-30 min. the Aqua Duck was closed to everyone but the Edge kids. Since the kids hadn’t been on it yet that day, they were very excited. The only problem? Our dinner seating was at 8:00.

Did the kids care?

Nope!

They were having a blast at Edge, so we decided to make it a “date night” and go to dinner without them. Since they’re free to come and go from the Edge anyway, they’d be able to run down to one of quick service windows on the Pool Deck for a slice of pizza or whatever.

We went to Royal Palace for dinner that night. The food was pretty good. The bread was brought to the table in a royal coach basket - pretty cute!

Palmer gave us two more of his riddles to solve.

In this first one I think you had to get the sugar packet out of the “spoon” but of course I’ve forgotten the “rules” for doing it. I’m sure it was something like you could only move 1 or 2 crayons, maybe.

The second one was a dog. See it? (The triangle is his head…)

We had to make the dog face the other direction, but only moving 2 crayons and not his tail.

I think Davis solved the first one and I got pretty close on the second.

Like I said, the food was pretty good……….but dessert was awesome.

I love crème brulee!

But I’m not so good at food pictures.

Same crème brulee, with flash this time!

A photographer came around to each table during dinner and took several shots of everyone. He took a couple regular shots of Davis and I and then had us put on our bandanas and crook our index fingers into “hooks” and sneer like pirates for a couple - he also got individual shots of us doing this. Oh, the hilarity and teasing I had to endure after the kids saw these pictures the next day at Shutters Photography. Unfortunately, we didn’t purchase them, so you can’t see them. Sometimes still, the kids will remember that picture and mimic my pose, then break out into hysterical laughter.

After dinner, we made a quick pit-stop at the stateroom to change out of our dinner attire. Then it was time for the fireworks show/pirate dance party on the pool deck.

We followed the masses out to the deck. That’s when I realized we didn’t have the kids with us. How sad, I thought, to not have the kids with us during the fireworks. We knew they would be “somewhere” out there to watch, so we began scanning the crowd for their faces.

We must not have been casually scanning the crowd, though because just then we heard someone say something along the lines of “looking for someone?”

It was mickeystoontown, Lisa and her family! I went into how we were looking for the kids whom we couldn’t tear away from the Edge, but how I kind of wanted them with us for the fireworks. I think their son had spent a lot of the night before in the Teen club, so Lisa knew how much the kids were enjoying it.

We compared Nassau notes; they had gone on the Sea and See Tour, had seen pretty much all they’d wanted. We also both talked about the time we felt we were “missing out” on in Disney World, and whether or not we were cruise people. Looking back kind of glosses my memory, but I remember at the time feeling like we’d have rather been in WDW than on the cruise. That could also be in part due to the fact that once we disembarked we’d be staying in WDW, but only have one Disney park day. Remember, the kids wanted to do Universal and we wanted to check out Legoland as well. So, whether or not we’d done the cruise, we’d have had fewer Disney days, but we could have visited every park had we not cruised. (I hope you made it through all that!)

All of a sudden, a line of kids in bandanas walked by - the kids from the Edge - and Allison and Luke with them! We waved them over to us and found a spot as the show began.

That’s the moon. You can barely see it’s reflection on the water below.

A few blurry fireworks shots:

Afterwards, I wanted to get a picture with Lisa, to prove we’d been there!

It took a few tries.

I’m wearing Luke’s hoodie here. Somehow my own didn’t make it into the suitcase. It wasn’t that it was chilly, but I had changed into a tank top and with the wind blowing, I kind of wanted something more on.

The only thing left to do after that was have one more ice cream cone for the day. I think it would have been the third, except for the fact that they were closing the machines down for the night when we got there.

Sad pirates. Had to settle for a drink instead.

Up next: Castaway Cay!

Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #89
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

It looks and sound like, despite the rain, you guys had a good time on the ship that day. I wish that we had more time to explore the ship but, alas, we didn't.

I can attest to the fact that Hunter did, indeed, enjoy the teen club on the Dream. He would have stayed in there all night long had it stayed open.

I remember us talking about whether or not we were "cruise people" and we hadn't really made up our minds. At the time, I was thinking that we weren't and was thinking about all of the things we could have been seeing and doing at Walt Disney World. But, now that time has passed, I'm thinking a cruise will happen again in the future.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #90
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It looks and sound like, despite the rain, you guys had a good time on the ship that day. I wish that we had more time to explore the ship but, alas, we didn't.

I can attest to the fact that Hunter did, indeed, enjoy the teen club on the Dream. He would have stayed in there all night long had it stayed open.

I remember us talking about whether or not we were "cruise people" and we hadn't really made up our minds. At the time, I was thinking that we weren't and was thinking about all of the things we could have been seeing and doing at Walt Disney World. But, now that time has passed, I'm thinking a cruise will happen again in the future.
Even with all the exploring we did, there was so much that we didn't get to do! We never saw even one show, although that may have been Davis' plan all along! There were many other things that we wanted to check out, but just didn't have the time to.

Time has a funny way of doing that, doesn't it? I'm the same way! My inlaws are really trying to talk us into an Alaska cruise, but that would most certainly mean skipping Disney that year. And you know how we feel about that!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: