Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
fiddlefaddle2
Earning My Ears

Smile Would anyone please critique my plans?

Hi everyone!
My best friend and I are going on our first ever trip to California (we live in the UK) in October! We're coming for 7 days from the 22nd to 29th of October. As we're first timers I'm just a little nervous of my plans! If anyone has any input at all that would be fantastic!

Here's a bit about us incase it might help. I'm 24 and my friend is 29, we can't drive, we're both vegetarians, we've bought 5 day hopper tickets and we love Disney of course!

22nd - we arrive in california around 3 in the afternoon after a 10 hour flight Get on a shuttle, arrive at our hotel (HoJo) around 4. Have a good nap! If we're not too tired find somewhere to buy some cereal and stuff for the week.

23rd - First day at Disney! We'll spend the day at Disneyland and have tickets to the Halloween party. So we'll probably leave the park around midday to get into our costumes before coming back for the party (at the moment we're planning on being Jessica and Roger Rabbit!).

24th - Spend the day at California adventure. Get the WOC package from Cathay Circle (assuming WOC is on that night)

25th - Character breakfast at Goofys kitchen, spend the rest of the day at either park.

26th - Non Disney day! We're going to a mall and relaxing a bit

27th - Spending half a day in Hollywood (we'd like a full day but as we don't drive we're a bit hesitant to rely on public transport for such a trip. Luckilly there's a shuttle but it only gives you 6 hours) then returning and doing Fantasmic! (with the dessert package) in the evening.

28th - another non Disney day. Doing some more shopping and relaxing

29th - our flight home isn't until 22:15 so we'd spend our last day redoing our favourite rides at either park.

Does that all sound like a good plan? None of it is set in stone so if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them!
One thing I'd really appreciate is any opinions on the shuttles to/from the airport. There are a few and I'd like to know which is the best value for money (and reliable to get us to the airport on time!)
Thanks so much!

Lillian
x
fiddlefaddle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Your plan looks good. Super Shuttle has reasonable rates and will probably run about $34 round trip. Check into taking the metro to Hollywood. That will give you more time there.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
dlinne
Mouseketeer

Sounds like a fun trip.

You might consider doing the Goofy's Kitchen on a non park day to maximize park time if you find you need more time.
dlinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
fiddlefaddle2
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much! You're right, it would be good to go to Goofys on a non-Disney day
Old 08-17-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
KateDrake
DIS Veteran

You guys are going to have so much fun! Southern Cal is quite a change from the UK, but both are two of my favorite vacation destinations.

I think your plan sounds really good. Here are just a couple of musings, but even if you don't do them, you'll have a great trip.

On arrival day, I would recommend staying up and going to bed at a regular time. So if you go to bed at 11 p.m. in the UK, go to bed at 11 p.m. California time. This has always been the best way for me to avoid jet lag, even if it meant touring Westminster Abbey on no sleep I'm worried if you take a nap, you won't be tired when it is bed time in Cali.

I think you will do fine with public transportation to get to Hollywood. It's certainly worth looking into so you can have more time, especially when you are coming from so far away.

Lastly, SoCal is a vegetarian paradise! You are going to find some great stuff to eat, especially on your non-Disney days. Disney does OK for vegetarians, but you are going to find some really great food off property.

I hope you have an awesome trip! Especially at the Halloween party, it is so fun to dress up. You'll have to post pictures of your costumes!
KateDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:06 AM   #6
disneyfam2000
Disney fam 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinne View Post
Sounds like a fun trip.

You might consider doing the Goofy's Kitchen on a non park day to maximize park time if you find you need more time.
I definitely agree, Goofy's Kitchen on a non park day been there done that.

[/url]
DS 2000 DD 2004
Disneyland 2007 July 3-11*Disneyland 2009 DLH June 6-15*Disneyland DLH 2011 June 3-12*Disneyland 2013 June 5-14*
"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." ~Walt Disney
"It has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement- I knew when I was a kid." ~Walt Disney
disneyfam2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
quantumottle
DIS Veteran

I hope I'm wrong about this, but doesn't Disney have a policy against adults dressing in costume of Disney characters? Again, I'm not trying to rain on anyones plans, just hoping to help you avid an issue - if indeed there is one.

To the experts out there, am I mistaken about this policy?

:
quantumottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #8
munchkin322
Earning My Ears

I think it is ok for Halloween party...there were lots that dressed up during those events...at least on the east coast so I assume it's fine there too. They don't want adults to dress up during the day (especially the elaborate costume) because they don't want children to mistaken them as one of the "character" (or a cast member).
June 2013 ~ DISNEY FANTASY ~ 7-night Eastern Caribbean

~ DISNEY DREAM ~ 3-night Bahamas Cruise
munchkin322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

Yes, adults can dress as Disney characters during the Halloween party (and the 3 hours early you can get in for the party). That's one of the big perks! The costumes just have to be family-friendly.

Fiddlefaddle2, I'd suggest you go to Toontown before the party officially starts (so after 3 but before 6) and get some really cool photos of yourselves there! Toontown will almost certainly close for the party.

If you want to get the most Disney time in as possible, I'd move your Fantasmic! day to a day you can be at the parks full-time, and do your shopping/relaxing the same day as your Hollywood day. Right now you're basically spending a little more than 4 days' worth of hours in the parks, when you have a 5-day hopper and a Halloween ticket that adds 8 hours to that. If you want a more relaxing trip, nothing wrong with your schedule, of course. I just like to go go go on vacation and stuff in as much Disney fun as possible, so I try to use as many hours of my park hoppers as I can.

Have a great trip!
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
socalduo
DIS Veteran

I will say don't get your hopes up for Hollywood. It's loaded with homeless and teen runaways and it's really dirty. Be prepared for traffic. The 101 freeway is always stopped right there too. Other then that, have fun
Old 08-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
chrissiecutie
Once a Princess, Always a Princess

OP- arrange to have groceries delivered to your hotel room on arrival day. That way you don't have to bother with it after a long travel day.

Place your order online, select a time frame for them deliver it (just make sure the time frame is well after you've arrived) and viola!

I suggest using Vons and look online for coupon codes for FREE delivery!

I do this everytime we fly and we always stay at HoJo's. Never had any problems!

Son's 1st Disneyland Trip 8/14-8/23/2008
DH Got a Job Celebratory Trip 5/29-6/2/2010
Surprise Birthday Trip for DS 2/26-3/5/2011
Halloween Trip 10/1/2012-10/4/2012

25+ Year Disneyland Vet
1st trip in 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2011
chrissiecutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
fiddlefaddle2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfam2000 View Post
I definitely agree, Goofy's Kitchen on a non park day been there done that.
Yes I really can't remember why I thought going on a park day was a good idea now! :P I'm looking forward to trying the PB&J pizza! XD
Old 08-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

Why dont you make your halloween party day a non park day? Sleep in relax do some shopping then get to disney at earliest possible time with party tix...you could even do the character meal on this day. No sense in wasting a park day when you are already going for the party.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
fiddlefaddle2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalduo View Post
I will say don't get your hopes up for Hollywood. It's loaded with homeless and teen runaways and it's really dirty. Be prepared for traffic. The 101 freeway is always stopped right there too. Other then that, have fun
That's alright, I live in London so am used to that sort of thing. We're just figured since we were in CA we might as well have a trip to Hollywood!
Old 08-23-2012, 04:18 PM   #15
fiddlefaddle2
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegosmom View Post
Why dont you make your halloween party day a non park day? Sleep in relax do some shopping then get to disney at earliest possible time with party tix...you could even do the character meal on this day. No sense in wasting a park day when you are already going for the party.
Well that would be a really good idea, except that we have tickets for the tuesday Halloween party instead of the Friday one (as it was cheaper). I'm very shy and while I know it's gonna be crowded all the time I've heard the weekends are always worse. So if we had a non-park day on the tuesday of the party we'd have to go to the park on a weekend :/

Tags
first time, october

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: