Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #3211
ellie&mattys mom
DIS Veteran

thanks that does help!
my kids would prefer not to sleep in a sofa

we have stayed at all of the moderates and we do not like value's

my husband missed a balcony last year but we all love POR
thinking for such a short visit maybe WL Just wish their discount was 30%

but I am thinking that is a great price for a woods view with 20%
2007 June off site/Marriott Cypress Universal/Sea World
2007 March/April CBR !
2006 Pop Century
2004 October Coronodo & Port Orleans Riverside
2003 November- Hard Rock & Port Orleans Riverside
2001 Wilderness Lodge & Beach Club
1997 Port Orleans FQ
1993 Poly HONEYMOON
1989 Hilton
1984 Shades of Green
1982 Poly
Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #3212
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Hello Wilderness Lodge fans
I'm spending my morning looking at pictures and reading through this thread. We've booked a studio for the week before Christmas. This will be our first trip to Disney during the holiday season, a surprise trip for the kids, and our first stay at Wilderness Lodge.

We've rented points and stayed at OKW, BWV and AKV before in studios. The amount of room works out fine for us. The kids don't mind sharing the sofa bed and we enjoy having the kitchenette for breakfasts and snacks.

Sometimes we do end up bringing a twin air mattress if the kids don't feel like sharing, but we didn't use it last time at all.

I just can't wait to see all the Christmas decorations and go to MVMCP. It's just going to be a long 8 months to keep this a secret
They are already asking when we can go back. I just keep saying "Sometime next year". I'm not particularly good with secret keeping but this will be their major Christmas present and they will be THRILLED so it's worth the wait.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #3213
andychris14
DIS Veteran

Ok, we booked for Aug for 5 nights. We have never stayed at a deluxe before. We are so excited about this upcoming trip. All of this information is terrific. Any information for us rookies, please pass along.
Thank you again
May 2000- off site/Sheraton Vistana
August 2002-off site/Sheraton Vistana Villages/universal
Port Orleans French Quarters
August 2005-Pop Century
August 2006-Off site/Sheraton Vistana Villages/universal
Disney Wonder
Pop Century
August 2010-Coronado Springs
August 2012-Coronado Springs
July/August 2013- Royal Pacific-Universal/Wilderness Lodge
Old 04-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #3214
Princess Leia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelljean View Post
We belong to DVC and get to WDW two to three times a year and have very different vacations each stay. We usually try to figure out what we want to do, because we can't do it all in one trip. We pick the resort to fit the reason for the trip. If it is the flower show, we try to get BC. When the children were small, they loved the sand pool and didn't care for all day at the parks so it was BC.

In February, we brought my husband's 80+ year old parents to WL. They loved it. Sometimes we book a CL at the beginning or end of the stay and pay cash, except at AKL where we can book with points.

I try to book a trip at WL every year when the Christmas decorations go up, but before Christmas. Often I come on this trip by myself. It is my favorite resort at Christmas.

If MK is the focus, then Bay Lake is where we try to stay. We are booked there for the Fourth of July and hope to watch the fireworks from the Top of the World Club.

We also love AKL. If our mission is Downtown Disney, then SSR.

We usually have our own "Must Do" list like going to get Dole Whip at the Poly, Wilderness Salad at Roaring Forks, drinks at Territory Lounge, and a Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream. Even if we don't stay at WL we make a point to visit once or twice.

We still have many things we want to do like rent a pontoon boat, eat at Victoria and Albert's, enjoy the Richard Petty Driving experience and............

The joy is in planning the next trip. So if you don't get everything in one trip, there is always next time, and next time and next time.....Enjoy your trip and family and don't try to do it all.
Our first family holiday to WDW was in 2008. It was going to be the once in a lifetime trip for the children so we bought tickets for Disney, universal, IOA, aquatica and sea world. It was like boot camp. Fortunately that year we had a week at Clearwater to recover. Needless to say it wasn't our last trip. We ended up going back again the next year but stayed on site. Went again in 2011 adding in Disney dining. Each time we have had a different experience staying in a different hotel with the children being different ages. I keep wondering why we end up back when there is so much of the world I want to see. Last summer we went on a Mediterranean cruise and although it was good it just wasn't the same. It didn't have the Disney magic. This time we are going to some new restaurants, Hoop de doo for the first time and also Discovery Cove. Of course we will add in some old favourites.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #3215
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Leia View Post
I always love the Magic Kingdom. This is our 4th trip in recent years so I'm hoping we can slow the pace down a bit.
There's just something magical about being close to MK and hearing all of the boat whistles as the boats go back and forth to MK . We started out being in the parks all day/night when we first started going to Disney, but we have settled down alot over the years and now spend more time at the resort than we do the parks. I hope you have a nice, relaxing trip and enjoy the WL .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie&mattys mom View Post
We are trying to decide about 1 or 2 nights at WL in July.

We will be staying at Marriott Grande Vista with friends they check out on Sunday and we can stay an extra day or 2!

Would you pick WL all they have left is a woods view.
We will not be doing any parks. Just enjoying some good restaurants and relaxing....Room rates are 310 for lodge and 302 for villa's kids are 13 and 17

thanks we just stayed Riverside 4/12

contemporary is all sold out
we will be eating at Poly dinner
I would definitely stay 2 nights. The WL is an amazing resort and is great for a relaxing trip .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
I'm spending my morning looking at pictures and reading through this thread. We've booked a studio for the week before Christmas. This will be our first trip to Disney during the holiday season, a surprise trip for the kids, and our first stay at Wilderness Lodge.

I just can't wait to see all the Christmas decorations and go to MVMCP. It's just going to be a long 8 months to keep this a secret
They are already asking when we can go back. I just keep saying "Sometime next year". I'm not particularly good with secret keeping but this will be their major Christmas present and they will be THRILLED so it's worth the wait.
You are going to love it.....Disney at Christmas time is amazing!!! The WL is beautiful any time of year, but especially so during the holidays . We have done MVMCP 2 times and it was great each time. Good luck keeping it a secret......I'm sure your kids will be so excited when they find out .

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychris14 View Post
Ok, we booked for Aug for 5 nights. We have never stayed at a deluxe before. We are so excited about this upcoming trip. All of this information is terrific. Any information for us rookies, please pass along.
Thank you again
You are going to love the WL . The grounds are beautiful, the pool is fun, the boat is great for going back and forth to MK, and Roaring Forks is great for quick CS meals. Have a great trip!!
Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #3216
andychris14
DIS Veteran

You are going to love the WL . The grounds are beautiful, the pool is fun, the boat is great for going back and forth to MK, and Roaring Forks is great for quick CS meals. Have a great trip!![/QUOTE]

Thank you so much!!!
May 2000- off site/Sheraton Vistana
August 2002-off site/Sheraton Vistana Villages/universal
Port Orleans French Quarters
August 2005-Pop Century
August 2006-Off site/Sheraton Vistana Villages/universal
Disney Wonder
Pop Century
August 2010-Coronado Springs
August 2012-Coronado Springs
July/August 2013- Royal Pacific-Universal/Wilderness Lodge
Old 04-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #3217
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Leia View Post
We will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge 11th-25th July. On previous holidays we have stayed at The Yacht Club and The Swan. It was a hard decision to change from the Epcot area but so many of you seem to love the Wilderness. I'm loving the info on this thread.

It's great you're trying something new. Epcot resorts are wonderful because you can easily walk to DHS and Epcot. But, being in the MK resorts area is special because you also have the monorails and buses that don't share with as many resorts as do the Epcot buses. You can also walk to FW and boat to CR, FW and MK. There is a more relaxed and secluded feel to WL that I think you will love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelljean View Post
We belong to DVC and get to WDW two to three times a year and have very different vacations each stay. We usually try to figure out what we want to do, because we can't do it all in one trip. We pick the resort to fit the reason for the trip. If it is the flower show, we try to get BC. When the children were small, they loved the sand pool and didn't care for all day at the parks so it was BC.

In February, we brought my husband's 80+ year old parents to WL. They loved it. Sometimes we book a CL at the beginning or end of the stay and pay cash, except at AKL where we can book with points.

I try to book a trip at WL every year when the Christmas decorations go up, but before Christmas. Often I come on this trip by myself. It is my favorite resort at Christmas.

If MK is the focus, then Bay Lake is where we try to stay. We are booked there for the Fourth of July and hope to watch the fireworks from the Top of the World Club.

We also love AKL. If our mission is Downtown Disney, then SSR.

We usually have our own "Must Do" list like going to get Dole Whip at the Poly, Wilderness Salad at Roaring Forks, drinks at Territory Lounge, and a Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream. Even if we don't stay at WL we make a point to visit once or twice.

We still have many things we want to do like rent a pontoon boat, eat at Victoria and Albert's, enjoy the Richard Petty Driving experience and............

The joy is in planning the next trip. So if you don't get everything in one trip, there is always next time, and next time and next time.....Enjoy your trip and family and don't try to do it all.
I love your strategy and your "next time, next time, next time" approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie&mattys mom View Post
We are trying to decide about 1 or 2 nights at WL in July.

We will be staying at Marriott Grande Vista with friends they check out on Sunday and we can stay an extra day or 2!

Would you pick WL all they have left is a woods view.
We will not be doing any parks. Just enjoying some good restaurants and relaxing....Room rates are 310 for lodge and 302 for villa's kids are 13 and 17

thanks we just stayed Riverside 4/12

contemporary is all sold out
we will be eating at Poly dinner

A Woods View can have a view of Wishes, the Castle, CR... If you request a high floor or a 5th floor (that is the highest floor that does not have an enclosed balcony railing) in the North Wing, you might just get an extra bonus view and you'd have a great balcony, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post

We've rented points and stayed at OKW, BWV and AKV before in studios. The amount of room works out fine for us. The kids don't mind sharing the sofa bed and we enjoy having the kitchenette for breakfasts and snacks.

Sometimes we do end up bringing a twin air mattress if the kids don't feel like sharing, but we didn't use it last time at all.

I could never keep our trips a secret so I admire your restraint. They are going to be VERY surprised! Don't forget to go over to FW to see all the RV decorations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychris14 View Post
Thank you again

If you tell us what view you booked, we could help you with a room location request. I think once you stay at WL, you'll be hooked and only want to stay Deluxe. Have you taken a look at the activities on the first page? Don't overlook FW as there is much to see and do there and you can get there easily by walking, boating or taking the bus. It's a wonderfully relaxing walk and you feel like you've really gotten away from all the hustle and bustle.

Some first-timers don't realize that the MK bus is a direct, non-stop bus. Also, WL is always the first picked-up so you'll always get on an empty bus (if you're first in line). Try and take the free Lodge tour if you can and the beach is rarely crowded. Also there is a playground on it, nightly movies shown on the beach and a free marshmallow roast each evening.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #3218
Gingerkimball
Earning My Ears

Room requests

Hi, I will be staying for the first time at WL the week of July 4th! I can't wait! I have booked a courtyard bunk bed room. I'm not sure if I should try to request a specific floor/room or just take what I get...any suggestions are appreciated. I will be traveling with my DH, and our two sons, ages 5 and 2. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #3219
Tinkerbelljean
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerkimball View Post
Hi, I will be staying for the first time at WL the week of July 4th! I can't wait! I have booked a courtyard bunk bed room. I'm not sure if I should try to request a specific floor/room or just take what I get...any suggestions are appreciated. I will be traveling with my DH, and our two sons, ages 5 and 2. Thanks!
A trip to Wilderness Canyon restaurant with that age group would be fun. Make sure to ask for ketchup!
Old 04-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #3220
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerkimball View Post
to the DIS and the WL/VWL thread!

The week of July 4th will be very crowded so I think you picked a great resort to be able to sort of get away from it all and easily get back and forth to the MK with your boys. There's much to do at WL and FW right next door and you can easily boat to CR, then monorail to Poly and GF. CR has a great arcade your kids might enjoy. WL has one, too but no prizes and it's smaller. Poly has fun stores and Dole Whips at CC and they all have fun character dining. As Tinkerbelljean suggested, Whispering Canyon Café is lots of fun and a must-do for your boys. They even have stick pony races and Lincoln Logs! (And all-you-can drink shakes.)

Make sure that you request an INNER or WL Courtyard View. This way you'll be able to see the nightly EWP from your balcony and the geyser and Bay Lake. The other Courtyard View is of the VWL courtyard and the Room Assignor might put you there if you don't have a preference.

If having a balcony that you can see through when seated is important to you, then you might also want to request 5th floor (or lower). The 6th floor has some solid balcony railings and all of the 7th (CL) floor has them.

I think your boys will love the Lodge and those bunks. Though it might be your first time at WL, I suspect it might not be your last. Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #3221
marshall4539
Earning My Ears

Best rooms?

Hi, we are going to WL in Sept and have booked a woods view. I am wondering what is the best room area to request. We are hoping for connecting rooms (with my parents), and a good balcony. We would prefer a room on the 2-3 floor, but 4th floor would be ok too!
What does everyone recommend!
Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #3222
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall4539 View Post
Hi, we are going to WL in Sept and have booked a woods view. I am wondering what is the best room area to request. We are hoping for connecting rooms (with my parents), and a good balcony. We would prefer a room on the 2-3 floor, but 4th floor would be ok too!
What does everyone recommend!
Thanks
If having connecting rooms is very important, I would make that your only request.

Everyone's definition of best will be different. Check out post #2 of this thread for detailed descriptions of all the different woods views locations and pick which one sounds good to you.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #3223
RedfromNL
Mouseketeer

9 days, just 9 days:cheer 2:
Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #3224
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post

If having connecting rooms is very important, I would make that your only request.

Everyone's definition of best will be different. Check out post #2 of this thread for detailed descriptions of all the different woods views locations and pick which one sounds good to you.
I agree. We made that our only request last September, and while we had booked Standard View we ended up with awesome woods view connecting rooms above the registration desk on the 5th floor. You really can't go wrong at WL, and September should be a great time to be there. We are looking forward to it this year too.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #3225
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedfromNL View Post
9 days, just 9 days:cheer 2:
Wilderness Lodge Club Level - 2010, 2013
We'll be home soon...
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: