Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
jmkjml39
Earning My Ears

I hear the water at DisneyWorld is nasty?

We are headed to DW in 3 weeks. I just bought refillable, collapsible water jugs - they are amazing. Can freeze them, hook them, etc. Then I read the water in FL is nasty - sorry Floridians.....any experience with walking up to beverage dispensers and refilling water from there? Skipping the line to just get water? I refuse to spend money on water, if I can help it that is.

Thanks!
jmkjml39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
ChristineNic
Mouseketeer

Every counter service will give you free ice water. It's filtered water so it isn't yucky like the tap water.

And no need to apologize, us Floridians know that our tap water tastes icky. We filter it, treat it or buy it.

Have a great trip!
ChristineNic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
ErinsAuntMimi
Earning My Ears

Grew up on FL water... but I've been out of state for 20+ years, so I can NOW tell the difference. Still doesn't really bother me though The trouble with the water is that often it has a sulfur taste/smell. Even with all the water treatment it doesn't fully overcome that; straight "well water" is something that I still can't drink. That is why so many non-Floridians prefer bottled water. {And why we take our own water for our dog, he won't drink FL water. Hound nose.}

However, to combat the taste many simply use water enhancement products... there are many on the market... they do help make it tolerable.

BTW, you can ask for FREE cups of ice water at any place that serves drinks in WDW. Then just add your packet of flavoring.

(DH) (Me) (DS 22)
ErinsAuntMimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Its nasty. I brought a pur pitcher a few trips back, and even that wouldn't get the nasty taste out. Even the shower water smells like rotton eggs, makes you not want to shower.

2014 CSR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure what you mean by skipping the line? Most all the resorts (except BWI) have self serve drink stations, so not much of a line. Only those getting drink refills. So you would have to wait your turn if its crowded. Most if the time you can just walk up. No problem.

The CS restaurants will give you free ice water, go during off times when there isn't a big line, as there aren't self serve options there.

I bring Mio to flavour the yucky water!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL

Last edited by Sue M; 04-09-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
monorailmom
DIS Veteran

It's funny...the only places I've noticed problems with the water at WDW is in the Magic Kingdom area. We're DVC members, and have to take allergy meds every day...at every place I've stayed I was able to fill a cup with water out of the kitchen sink and take my meds...except BLT! Oh my gosh it was just awful. I got cup of ice water at MK...and couldn't drink it. But at AKL, OKW, ... no problem at all.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
SA mom
DIS Veteran

The water at the resorts tastes fine to me, but the water from the park water fountains tastes like it came from Seven Seas Lagoon. I thought the water in the Universal Parks was fine, too. I also hate to buy water bottles.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
chocovrdmicears
DIS Veteran

I love the smell of Florida water! I know..I know...I'm weird. It's one of the things that makes me feel like I am on vacation!
That being said - I am not crazy enought to want to drink it. - We always bring Liv Fit and Pure water bottles with us to the Parks - We fill it with ice before we leave our resort in the morning and refill it throughout the day - we find the water to taste fine and it stays cold. You can always get the free ice water in the Parks. You can't cut in line to get it..must wait your turn if you want it...but we think it tastes fine.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
Southern Bell
DIS Veteran

Yes the water is nasty!

I thought I was being smart and took my lemonade pack, (like I had read to do) LOL! Asked for free water at Magic Kingdom (seems like near Pirates) poured my lemonade in, (My husband and I were so thirsty!) Thought I was being so smart!

We gulped it down! Oh my! It was nasty! It was gross! I had to hold my breath to drink it! LOL! Lemonade didn't help! Buy your water! Take it! Do something different than I did! LOL!

We had our bottled water but fridge in room wouldn't ever get it cold! We took our bottled water and drank it warm and ended up just buying water inside parks before it was over!
Southern Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #10
VACamm
DIS Veteran

MK water is horrid... like really horrid! My kids wouldnt drink it at all.... we usually buy bottles.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #11
SUSIEQ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailmom
It's funny...the only places I've noticed problems with the water at WDW is in the Magic Kingdom area.
That's the same thing I've noticed - only at/near MK.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Old 04-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #12
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

For places that have drink stations, you can walk up and fill your water bottle with water. There aren't that many places like this in the parks. Most places fill the drinks behind the counters.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Restaurantosaurus at the Animal Kingdom, because I've done it myself. We did it plenty at the resort.

I used Crystal Light/koolaid packets on one of my last trips, and while it covered the taste fine, I got sick of it after a while.

I also found that the ice helped mitigate the bad taste from the water fountains, so when I did order a fountain drink, I would pour the ice into my water bottle after I finished.

This year, I'll probably bring some flavoring packets, use lots of ice, and I bought a couple of filtering water bottles to take. We'll see how it goes. I don't like the taste of most bottled water either, so it's really a no win situation for me.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:13 AM   #13
Missytara
I'm all ears!

No matter where you go in this country, the water will be perceived as "nasty" by some, because it tastes differently than your own water. It is like the question, "will I be hot" or "will I be cold".

Many people are not used to filtered water, but it is slightly better than regular tap water. If you do not like the taste, only bottled water will satisfy you and it will cost you. The other alternative is to take a flavoring for the water to "mask" the taste.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
daizieduck
DIS Veteran

Never mind the taste, DH and I both get physically ill from the tap water and water fountain water at WDW. Like Montezuma's revenge!! DH actually had to cancel his Divequest tour at Epcot one time because he forgot to avoid the water and ended up getting really sick. He had to go back to the room and lay down for a few hours.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I refuse to carry a water bottle around all day. I have no issues at all drinking the water in the parks, at the fountains/bubblers (whatever you want to call them!!!). Is it the very best tasting water in the world? No, but it hasn't killed me yet. And when I go in the hotter/humid months, I won't spend upwards of $10 a day on bottled water!!!

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucets, free, reuseable, water

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: