Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #211
woahhcrazyyxo0
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by awoogala

well, considering the disney company admits the target audience for princess products are ages 3-5, I do consider the poses overly sexualized.
To answer your question, my daughter is not allowed any of that music. My kids aren't really allowed to listen to much modern pop because the lyrics are not appropriate (let alone the fact that everyone is autotuned and vapid). I don't even let them watch any of the disney channel shows, for that matter.(except for the cartoons).

I don't let my kids look at fashion magazines, either, since these types of victoria secret posings are bad for girls self image. But, to each his own, and everyone gets to make their own parenting choices.
A lot of us look to Disney because (except for their television "tween" department), they tend to respect the innocence of children.
I commend you for not allowing your children to listen to that music or watch those shows. It drives me nuts that children are listening and watching these things. When i was these kids' ages i was watching Tommy Pickles and the House of Mouse (I still watch these, on VHS tapes of course); now they are watching floating talking bras on iCarly and listening to songs talking about sex and hooking up with somebody. Granted, they dont know what they mean, but still. My thirteen year old cousin just informed me she wanted to see Project X.. I had to tell my aunt what it is about-needless to say she will not be watching the movie.

I think for most people it will just take some getting used to. The looks could be quite more provicative than they are. The dolls do look horrendous though. We all just have to see how the future plays out. They may go back to the original style one day. While I do agree they should not have changed the structures of the faces to look different, I still do not find the poses or the dressed too sexual or provocative. Especially compared to those Monster High or Winx dolls I see all over the place.

On another note:: I may actually use your quote about innocence for my research paper for my english class if you do not mind. My whole essay is on how modern fairytales compare to the originals by the Grimm Brothers and how they are now sensitizing children conpared to then. My thesis mentions the preservation of innocence and i think this would be a perfect quote
2003-CBR, 2004-WL(September) and offsite(December), 2005-WL, 2006-CR, 2007-BWI(February) and CR(summer), 2008-BWI, 2009-BWV, 2010-BWV, 2011-AKL&BLT(summer)WL(November), 2012-BLT(summer) and [WL(fall)]?

Senior Year Disney Style--Winter 2013<3
4 Girls, 1 World

"Are you, are you coming to the tree where i told you to run so we'd both be free. Stranger things did happen here, no stranger would they be, if we met up at midnight at the hanging tree." -The Hanging Tree--Mockingjay

SNVFH&SNGT&F
woahhcrazyyxo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #212
GoofyMac
Earning My Ears

Moving back on topic

I see nothing wrong with the changes to the gown. Personally I believe it matches closer what we see in the transformation in the movie.

A silver shining blue gown that closely matches what was seen in the movie at the Fairy God Mothers transformation. The previous gown seems to be more blue and less shiny and shimmering. All the basic elements are there.

Id actually like to see some of the more informal costumes worn in the parks.

I see nothing wrong with the costumes for little girls. My daughter has been Tinkerbell the past three years. This year she wanted to be a princess Her choice of princess was Aurora "Because she has a pink gown daddy".

Comparing the outfits from the movie to the parks to the one she wore bought from Walmart they are all similar in style. My wife and I very nearly bought the one available at Disneyland when we were there but our daughter stated she liked the Walmart one better.

Granted the Walmart costume was less formal and expensive but it had more pink and the gloves to go with it that our daughter preferred. If my daughter wants to be a princess I like her to have the best but I also like her to be happy. I see nothing sexualized about any of the children's costumes. My wife and I are not big fans of the dolls nor is our daughter because "They just don't look like the princesses daddy".

The fact is that there are several variations to the gowns and costumes all of the princesses wear throughout the year based upon season, location the princesses are in the parks, geographical region, occasion, and other factors. All of the variations are representative of the true spirit of the character. I happen to believe that the current gown is quite beautiful.

Cinderella has a new gown, after-all she is a princess and we do know that princesses love their gowns and showing them off for all to see. Over the years I have seen many variations of the gowns from all of the princesses. The most consistent has been Princess Jasmine.
May 2011 - All Star Music
Oct 2011 - All Star Music (Family Suite)
May 2012 - Saratoga Springs
Oct 2012 - Boardwalk Villas
Oct 2012 - Disneyland (Adults only)
Feb 2013 - Saratoga Springs
GoofyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #213
PrinceAdam
Earning My Ears

I think a lot of the real issues people have with these changes are buried deep deep down somewhere.
PrinceAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 PM   #214
GoofyMac
Earning My Ears

Whats all the fuss about

After reading deeper into this thread and comparing closely the pictures that were provided and elsewhere on the net I have come to this conclusion.

The new Cinderella is nothing more than a more refined modernized Cinderella as are the other characters. I would instantly recognize her anywhere as Cinderella. My daughter would LOVE her gown and she would still be at the top of my favorites list.

As far as I know Belle has always had beautiful thick long dark hair. That has always been one of her best features. Belle being one of my favorites he hair being one of my favorite features I haven't got any problem with it being a bit longer and thicker.

As far as the sexiness is concerned being a man in his early 40s and who has a young daughter with intimate knowledge of the princesses I see nothing wrong here. Our children see much worse on a daily basis the updating of the Disney Princesses is the least of my worries. Disney does a great job of keeping things family friendly.

My daughter is just now getting into the Princesses. She really likes Princess Aurora as I stated in the previous post. We are super excited about the new Fantasyland opening up at Walt Disney World. Saw part of it on our last trip in October. We really like what they did with Dumbo our daughters favorite ride at the Magic Kingdom.

The huge factor that I think most are missing here is the opening of the New Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom.

It makes a lot of sense that Disney is updating the Princesses to coincide with the Fantasyland opening. With Belle and Ariels or should I say Prince Adam and Erics Castles and the Enchanted Forrest opening up next month introducing new gowns and updated hair and accessories is a given. Besides that Disney would naturally like to make the older princesses more attractive and updated for younger girls and teenagers. It is 2012 isn't it?

I haven't got a single issue with any of the updates. But please do me a favor. Her name is Cinderella not Cindy. That annoys the ever loving junk out of me.
May 2011 - All Star Music
Oct 2011 - All Star Music (Family Suite)
May 2012 - Saratoga Springs
Oct 2012 - Boardwalk Villas
Oct 2012 - Disneyland (Adults only)
Feb 2013 - Saratoga Springs
GoofyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #215
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccaariel

IMO the new park outfits DO look like they do in the movies. The new cartoon versions that are on all the new new merchandise - not so much.
Yup! I've finally decided I like Cindys costume. But the merchandise, I can't warm up to.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: