Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 PM   #136
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Serendipity View Post
That second picture is not as bad as the first, I think- Cinderella should not be day-glo orange, sorry- but...augh. Maybe it's the soft focus and stuff, but at least the headband looks less...plasticky? I still don't like it and I don't know what to do.

For those of you who say it's not a big deal, I get that, but here's why it's a big deal to, say, someone like me and why I had some serious angst (I admit, I have cried more than once over this) over my upcoming trip about it. My reasons are probably very different from those of someone who is upset about sexualization and their kids' exposure to it. Warning: this might get a little dramatic.

You might be able to tell by my screen name that I am a Disney Princess fan. My favourites are Cinderella, Snow White, and Belle (mostly for the movie she's in, to be perfectly honest). I like the old princesses, back when they were allowed to be really feminine, dainty, and gentle. I really like how Cinderella is very sophisticated, elegant, mature, and dignified. She's pretty much one of my heroes and role models, and seeing her reduced to looking like an ordinary, average, completely textbook, trendy fifteen year old Barbie-esque girl just...stings. They have completely disregarded who Cinderella is and what makes her so special and unique among the princesses and have stripped her of her elegance and sophistication.

This trip- my honeymoon- is pretty understandably a big deal to me. I was- am- so excited about it, I haven't been to Disney World since I was 12 and I get to take my fiance who has never been and it's pretty much a chance for me to somewhat live out my dream of being a princess, and meeting some of the characters I love so very much.

Except that, having changed my favourite, every time I see this costume I am going to be reminded of how they pretty much destroyed a lot of the reasons I loved her, how they completely changed a character just to make her more trendy and marketable to girls who cannot apparently enjoy aesthetics outside of their own generation's fashion preferences. Being completely honest- yes, from a fashion standpoint, the new park dress is better. It's very pretty- the hair is pretty too, even if I don't like it as much as the old. Did the dress need changing? Well, yes, but not the way they did- they could have tailored it to look better and match the movie a bit more (good call on elongating the bodice, though). I'm glad the new dress isn't BRIGHT BLUE like the art shows, at least. But thing is, it's still going to remind me of the terrible new art I loathe and that sting I mentioned earlier every time I see her, and that's going to bring me down a little bit, at least.

I don't know what I'm going to do about it, skip pictures at the CRT/1900 Park Fare or just skip them all together or what, because after all the stress I'm under right now from the wedding and planning, the last thing I need is to be reminded all the time of something that makes me sad while I'm on my honeymoon.

So I can understand why it's not a huge deal to a lot of people, but to some of us, it really, really is.
You might want to catch the "Dream Along With Mickey" stage show. Cindy wears a gorgeous classic gown there, and so far I have not heard that it is changing.

mk2dawmprincesscindy5 by mom2rtk, on Flickr
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #137
Princess Serendipity
If It's Not Baroque

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
You might want to catch the "Dream Along With Mickey" stage show. Cindy wears a gorgeous classic gown there, and so far I have not heard that it is changing.
Oh, wow, that's gorgeous. Why couldn't they have done the new outfit like that?!
Princess Serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #138
huhwhat
Mouseketeer

it's the "Kardashification" of Cinderella
huhwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #139
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran

..and other princesses as well, IMHO.

Let's remember... It's the moms who buy the princess merchandise for our own little princess!!! If WE don't like, WE don't buy.

My DD (20) and I walked thru a Disney store this past weekend and SHE said, "OMGosh Mom, what in the world did they do to Cinderella! She looks awful! They all do!!!"

And is it just me but are the princessess getting to look more like girls wearing a costume instead of the 'real' princess? You can certainly tell there are many Cinderellla's, Princess Aurora, etc. They all look too different and their mannerism are very often 'off'. And when these college girls post pics of themselves on their fb in various princess costumes whi,e in the Disney CP...oh geez
Wilderness Lodge Club Level - 2010, 2013
We'll be home soon...

Last edited by CuteAsMinnie; 10-22-2012 at 09:03 PM.
CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #140
awoogala
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan2322 View Post
So the changes were not only for merchandise, the face character costume, hair and makeup have changed too!

Check out the new look here:

http://firstworlddisneyproblems.tumb...you-wanting-to

love the dress, love the new hair style but I think she is wearing to much makeup.
holy makeup, batman! I hope they tone that down a bit.

awoogala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #141
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhwhat
it's the "Kardashification" of Cinderella
That's the best way to put it. I can't stand the new look

Since when did we start messing with the classics Disney? The very films, characters etc that made Walt who he was?
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | July 2015 - Northern European Capitals on the Disney Magic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #142
Alice Royal
Eighteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^

That picture of Cindy's park look doesn't look official to me...just looks like a fan costume.

They all seem much skinnier, which is what bothers me. Walt Disney modelled his original Princesses after actual women during the 50s-60s, and at that point it was actually good to have a little meat on those bones! The originals always seemed to have close-to-normal proportions (not talking about Ariel, Jasmine, Rapunzel, etc.), so making them all super-skinny sends the wrong message to young girls.

Disney never really got into the whole teenage s!ut-fest that Barbie/Bratz milk for all it's worth, and I applauded them for that, but this change shows a weakness to me. Disney is now more willing to use this kind or marketing, with bad body images, to make money as opposed to keeping the princesses clean-cut and wholesome. Sad.

THE FAMILY
Me (18) DBF (18)
AP Holders and Proud Florida Residents since 2013!

THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (13)
Alice Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #143
RoyalMom
Mouseketeer

Cinderella = my favorite princess. The park redesigns don't seem too severe to me. The animation just looks homogenized and dumbed down. She also appears to have a messier hairstyle, no longer polished and refined.

fail.

Still, I won't let it upset me too much. She's still herself in the movie!

DH Me DD8 DD6 DS2
RoyalMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #144
Alice Royal
Eighteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalMom View Post
Cinderella = my favorite princess. The park redesigns don't seem too severe to me. The animation just looks homogenized and dumbed down. She also appears to have a messier hairstyle, no longer polished and refined.

fail.

Still, I won't let it upset me too much. She's still herself in the movie!
Remember that stupid teenager who got kicked out of WDW for dressing like Tink? I compare these new designs to that...shoddy attempts at emulating the classics by complete amateurs.

THE FAMILY
Me (18) DBF (18)
AP Holders and Proud Florida Residents since 2013!

THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (13)
Alice Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM   #145
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Royal

Remember that stupid teenager who got kicked out of WDW for dressing like Tink? I compare these new designs to that...shoddy attempts at emulating the classics by complete amateurs.
When?
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #146
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_daniels

When?
Couple months ago. Beginning of summer I think.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT
ses1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #147
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob62 View Post
gee surprised they didnt give her some botox and breast augmentation!..and give her an anorexic size 0 figure...ha!
Well that is just completely offensive to me. I'm not sure why you would link anorexia with being a size 0. I, myself, am a size 0 and am completely offended by your statement as I am not now, nor have I ever been anorexic or had an eating disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynightrose View Post
Personally, I think a lot of people are blowing this out of proportion.
Agreed. All I see when I look at the new princesses are more updated hairstyles and not the gosh awful lumps they had sitting on their heads. Despite what some Pinterest posts say, the princesses have always had some of the WORST hair and the wigs the characters wear in the parks are even worse. I see that with Cinderella they have polished up the face (she basically just has a more defined nose, ears, and bigger eyes), toned down the tan, given her more defined eyelashes, but certainly no more eye makeup than she had, modernized her outfit, and of course, given her a much better hairstyle. No big deal. I like it. I think that it was time for a change. At least as far as the wigs were concerned!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #148
t_daniels
They'll NEVER be replaced
Does it make all the boy mooses go BWAH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBilynn

Well that is just completely offensive to me. I'm not sure why you would link anorexia with being a size 0. I, myself, am a size 0 and am completely offended by your statement as I am not now, nor have I ever been anorexic or had an eating disorder.

Agreed. All I see when I look at the new princesses are more updated hairstyles and not the gosh awful lumps they had sitting on their heads. Despite what some Pinterest posts say, the princesses have always had some of the WORST hair and the wigs the characters wear in the parks are even worse. I see tha with Cinderella they have polished up the face (she basically just has a more defined nose, ears, and bigger eyes), toned down the tan, given her more defined eyelashes, but certainly no more eye makeup than she had, modernized her outfit, and of course, given her a much better hairstyle. No big deal. I like it. I think that it was time for a change. At least as far as the wigs were concerned!
I think makeup wise, both the face character and the art have a great deal more makeup.
I have to respectfully disagree, I liked the old hair....save Aurora in the parks.
t_daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #149
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicBilynn View Post
I agree with you! And as someone who's been naturally very slim (without eating disorders) pretty much my whole life I'm used to hear/read comments like that, and general rubbish comments about how beautiful overweight girls are and how ugly models and other slim girls are. Typical comments to make big girls feel better about themselves. It seems to be the politically correct thing to do to be mean to slim people as a group. But we're not all evil and hungry. Try and read those comments and swap the word "slim" or "thin" with "black", them maybe it's easier to see how offensive they are. How about not saying/writing anything negative about any group of people and preferably no one at all?
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip!
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip

MAR 2014 - DLP - HOTEL CHEYENNE - 5 DAYS - BIRTHDAY TRIP!

Last edited by Fantasmiss; 10-25-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #150
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

I said before that I liked the new dress but not the new hair and was generally skeptical about the whole change, but the more pictures I see of her new outfit, the more I like it.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...ecio3_1280.jpg

I found this picture on a Disney blog I follow, and I actually think she looks gorgeous. I think I'm coming around to this new costume.

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Turing 21 With Mickey - A Father/Daughter August '13 PTR

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip

Last edited by rebeccaariel; 10-26-2012 at 04:41 PM.
rebeccaariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: