Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL

Why? Because that other Studios park is investing millions and millions of dollars right now and is going to have a lot of the Orlando area "spotlight" very shortly.

Animal Kingdom is getting Avatar, MK has FLE, Epcot is coasting along with new restaurants, eateries and a new Test Track......plus Star Tours 2 seemed to do almost nothing to help the attendance at DHS.

I think at this point, the question is, does anyone in TDO, or more importantly, the main offices have some pride in that recently renamed studios park to invest in it, before Universal takes all of the limelight.
As you know full well...universal is not on par or a legitimate threat to disney in orlando...not currently or in the likely future...

And in reality, it would be unlikely to see major investment in Studios.

We are more likely to see large investment in
A. Animal kingdom
B. EPCOT
C. Tomorrowland at MK
...before anything earth shattering at studios.

They have had plenty of tine and justifications to really make a push at MGM - and have passed on every occasion.

Its not realistic to think that now they'll reverse.

Just look at the initial "reaction" to potterville...they responded by throwing large money into the most heavily attended park on earth by a comfortable margin

That seems telling to me.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #17
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
As you know full well...universal is not on par or a legitimate threat to disney in orlando...not currently or in the likely future...
Right, like I said, its a question of whether Disney has some pride left and wants to do something in the spirit of competiton (not that they ever admit or acknowledge their competition)

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #18
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL

Right, like I said, its a question of whether Disney has some pride left and wants to do something in the spirit of competiton (not that they ever admit or acknowledge their competition)
But that would affect the dividend, Stuart Scott's next pity contract at ESPn, and - slightly more importantly - the hundreds of thousands of stock options granted to a tiny group of suits at the top of the food chain.

They have to see a path to longterm profit in any move...it just doesn't seem like there is one at Studios on the level we all have wanted for two decades

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 08-02-2012 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #19
ADP
I'm a huggin' foolWon't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me

Cars Land at DHS? Sounds great! They have the room to do it. DHS really needs something bigger than a single attraction (although we'd take a new attraction).

Here's the problem with this rumor:
1. Bob Igor was recently quoted as saying "We just spent 6 billion dollars on DCL and theme parks. We are pulling the throttle back on domestic theme park spending." This means they'll be far less domestic theme park spending in the near future. A Cars Land project could cost up to 700 million dollars.

2. Cars Land is really going to bump up attendance at DCA. If they create another Cars Land in Orlando that could impact the gate at DCA. It won't be exclusive anymore. I would tend to think DHS would get an exclusive land not related at all to Cars Land in order to keep the turnstile at DCA moving more often.
ADP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
larry_poppins
Mouseketeer

If you want new spending atDHS it is simple: the fans have to collectively stop spending any money DHS. This is how we got an expansion at DCA. For the better part of a decade the locals avoided DCA. Disney gave it away free to fill the park. During the same years Disneyland did very well. That is how Carsland was built.

Everyone needs to tell Disney they can keep their free dining. We are not interested. DVC members can stay at Disney and visit Universal and the SeaWorld expansion.

Or don't visit Orlando. Go to Dland. The new ships. Joe Rohde's latest ego booster the Aulani! See real quality at Tokyo Disney. Visit the real non-themed world!

This is the only way toget the suits to spend real money at WDW.

Larry
larry_poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #21
IllinoisJones
Displaying My Ears

Igor said discounts were going away. I don't always put stock into what he proclaims. Times change.
IllinoisJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #22
IllinoisJones
Displaying My Ears

[Everyone needs to tell Disney they can keep their free dining. We are not interested.]

Is free dining frowned upon? It saves guests thousands.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #23
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisJones View Post
[Everyone needs to tell Disney they can keep their free dining. We are not interested.]

Not really. Look at how room rates have skyrocketed onsite, and ticket prices have increased over the past several yeas. "Free dining" requires you pay rack rates for your room and tickets. Often you can save even more money using room only discounts and/or buying tickets thru an authorized reseller like Undercover Tourist.

Food Quality has also dropped over the years, and the Dining plan has made changes that result in it not covering as much (such as Appetizers, Tips, etc).

It's a great marketing plot "Look! You get to eat for Free!!", but the reality is that you can often save more money by using other discounts available.... and actually eating the way you would normally eat. (Instead of feeling like you need to stuff your face each meal to "get your value")
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #24
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_poppins View Post
If you want new spending atDHS it is simple: the fans have to collectively stop spending any money DHS. This is how we got an expansion at DCA. For the better part of a decade the locals avoided DCA. Disney gave it away free to fill the park. During the same years Disneyland did very well. That is how Carsland was built.

Everyone needs to tell Disney they can keep their free dining. We are not interested. DVC members can stay at Disney and visit Universal and the SeaWorld expansion.

Or don't visit Orlando. Go to Dland. The new ships. Joe Rohde's latest ego booster the Aulani! See real quality at Tokyo Disney. Visit the real non-themed world!

Larry
So basically there is no hope
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
See real quality at Tokyo Disney.
I highly reccommend this option. I truly enjoy the magic, spend lots of money and don't feel guilty about it, because of the top quality experience that all of the CM's and management keep up there.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #26
umichigan10
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
I highly reccommend this option. I truly enjoy the magic, spend lots of money and don't feel guilty about it, because of the top quality experience that all of the CM's and management keep up there.
Ive never been but the pics and video of it are enough for me to tdl specifically Disney sea and the hotel built into it (forgot the name)
2008 Saratoga Springs
2011 Bay Lake Tower
2012 April-All Star Music w/ band
2012 July- Bay Lake Tower

"Somethings wrong, shut the light, heavy thoughts tonight, and they aren't of Snow White"-an example of Metallica and Disney going hand in hand
umichigan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #27
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllinoisJones View Post

That's hard to quantify...but the discussion on the pros and cons of "free" dining has gone on for years...

here's the highlights in the way of "positives":

The dining plan and subsequently free dining allows WDW to account for what those programs will cost/ gain the operation on an individual basis prior to travel. This is good for management as it allows for both a projection of guaranteed revenue and cost control...which are two things that they stress and will continue to stress going forward.

The reality is that a guest will save "Up to 20%" on their costs using either the DDP or the free dining booked in conjunction with a WDW vacation package. As noted - free dining increases the costs associated with the other components of the package - notably the room rate as described. In the end, whether you book a dining plan, receive "Free" dining, or purchase a tables in wonderland card - you will get somewhere between 10-20% in savings. Of course, the prices have been inflated to the point where you are still spending more than you probably would have for the same things 5 or 10 years ago before the discounts and dining plans.

One definite advantage to WDW (and disadvantage if you ask long time travelers or local residents) is that they have used it to flesh out times of the calender year that were absolutely ghost towns - notably september and january. That is probably an overall good thing, if you're honest.

the "negatives" as often observed/ perceived can be boiled down to:

The ruination of the restaurant experience. This is a dining plan thing, not just a free dining plan thing - but the reality is that they have cut back on the quality, increased the prices (for several reasons), and jammed the restaruant system since the dining plans were implemented. They also jacked up the prices to make those on the ddp feel as if they are getting great value...while whacking those that don't fall into line and buy one or go on a free dining package. That demographic tends to encompass the somewhat vocal components of DVC, longtime disney fans/travelers, and florida/local residents...
They (aka ME) tend to get cranky.
Can you still have great food/ experiences at wdw with the plans? yes
Is the overall quality of dining at WDW diminished since DDP/free dining? The answer is a quite simply yes...it has declined on the average.

"Free" Dining has hurt the guest experience by reducing profits for WDW and created a culture of discount dependency. This is difficult to gauge...but according to disney they are not experiencing growth with the discount packages available...even if it means more people. That may be an exaggeration for their own purposes...but the case/ conclusion can be made that they are correct. Full price travelers spend more - it would seem - on the whole. That seems reasonable. And if WDW sees the full prices paid, Disney corporate's reaction will be to consider capital re-investment as a better proposition.

The one thing that has seemed to show - if you look at boards such as this - is there IS a culture of discount dependency.
There is an inherent problem when people:
A. Travel annually or several times a year to WDW but only do it if they have the discount.
B. Get indignant when the discounts are not offered, such as my favorite post/ comment "What the heck are they waiting for on free dining for ____ time period?!?!"

I can only go by what i've seen/ gut reaction...but Disney does need to stop this...as "walmart" mentality at WDW will ultimately cause damage to the product and the experiences for everyone. WDW has always been selective/ expensive proposition and not affordable to many...
But make no mistake - we want it that way

Basically it is this: don't expect a coupon, discount, or persian bazaar barter on your vacation...because vacations are luxuries not rights and should be kept in that mindframe.

If free dining is component to that type of thought process...then it should be frowned upon. Many people blame free dining specifically for alot of the ills at WDW nowadays - probably overzealously more times than is appopriate. But there is a stigmata associated with the concept - whether it is deserved or not is up to the individual to decide.

Again, these are my takes...don't kill the messenger that delivers the food.

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 08-02-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #28
larry_poppins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by umichigan10 View Post
So basically there is no hope
I did not mean to imply there is no hope. But if we all continue to reward WDW with our business, by jumping on free dining, buying pins, buying vynilmation, etc... Why should they build anything? Ultimately everyone will decide what vacation is best for them.

If you want quality and new in Orlando than a day at FLE, SeaWOrld Antarctica, and all the new stuff coming to Universal Orlando is the way to go. The other Disney parks are stale.

More quality can be found at Tokyo Disney, my personal favorite. I would rather save money which I used to spend on domestic Disney and spend it there.

DCA also has a lot of quality right now and DLand looks pretty good!

But if we, collectively, keep spending money on the same old same old and buy pins and stuff. Nothing will be built.

If you visit DCA you will feel optimistic -- not that there is no hope!

Larry
larry_poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #29
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Larry

I wish this were possible...but the client base at DL is far different than WDW...

and by that i mean "smarter and not as lazy"

I hate to say it because i resemble this remark, but the clientele at WDW is even worse at buying junk with a disney lable slapped on it than everywhere else.

East coasters and upper midwesterners (the core wdw clientele) are less discerning consumers - it would appear - than everywhere else in a generally undiscerning country.

And i'm not living in a glass house because i'm one of the two and grew up the other...

but they would have to put a razor wire fence and attack dogs out front to keep people outta mgm...its there...so people will go.

The reality is that both Studios and Animal Kingdom are bad as compared to magic kingdom and epcot...and the fact that they charge equal prices should send everybody over the cliff...

But they get no guff. Smaller attendance for smaller (aka less to do) parks...but no grief on the pricing or lack of vision/ consistent expansion.

It's been that way for decades...and the consumers are to blame. The warm and fuzzies of space mountain or the showcase at EPCOT shield the warts at WDW...

It's beyond comprehension that people walk in to both those parks at close to $100 in the morning...mull around...and leave in the early afternoon not to come back...and are completely ok with it. It's like zombies with credit cards.

And contrary to what Walt might have said - that is the real meaning of "Blessing of size"

Old 08-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #30
IllinoisJones
Displaying My Ears

Sorry Locked, but I disagree. I don't go to those places simply cause they're there. I go cause I love them. If DHS was built the way DCA was first built, without a Disney thumb print, I would've stayed away too. But they weren't.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: