DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
Hillary329
Earning My Ears

Cancelling reservations

My DH and I are in the process of purchasing our first DVC contract. We are deciding on where to go for our first trip as DVC members, but I don't fully understand what happens if we have to cancel a reservation. We are trying to get pregnant so I am not sure what the next year is going to look like.

Our plan is to either book VGC for the middle of June (if we can get a reservation) or possibly Aulani. However, if we do get pregnant quickly my hope is to book BLT or another WDW resort for the beginning of Oct during my maternity leave. How does it work if we book VGC then need to cancel and want to book BLT? We will have a June use year. Thanks!
Hillary329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

When a reservation is cancelled, the points used are returned to the Use Year of the stay.

If cancelled 31 days or more prior to arrival. the points are returned with no restrictions and may be used for another trip or banked (subject to normal banking deadlines).

If cancelled 30 days or less prior to arrival the points are in the Holding Account where they may only be used for reservations made within 60 days of arrival. They cannot be banked and will expire at the end of their Use Year.

Reservations not cancelled before the arrival date are considered used and will not be returned.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

If you borrow points to book the June trip and cancel, they will remain in the UY borrowed in to. You don't say what UY you have but if your October trip is not in the same UY as the June trip you wouldnt be able to use those points.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
mousefan1972
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandisw View Post
If you borrow points to book the June trip and cancel, they will remain in the UY borrowed in to. You don't say what UY you have but if your October trip is not in the same UY as the June trip you wouldnt be able to use those points.
OP said they have a June UY, so you are correct that they can't use the same points for the Oct. trip. (unless they cancel early enough to bank them by January 31st) Also assuming the points are current UY points and not already banked or previously borrowed...
mousefan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
maburke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefan1972 View Post
OP said they have a June UY, so you are correct that they can't use the same points for the Oct. trip. (unless they cancel early enough to bank them by January 31st) Also assuming the points are current UY points and not already banked or previously borrowed...
Umm, June UY starts June 1, so a June 2013 trip IS in the same UY as Oct 2013. Sorry if you meant different calendar years, but if you mean the same calendar year, then yes, you are in the same UY. That's when UY matters -- if you might cancel, it's better to have your trip at the beginning of the UY, so you have plenty of time to use or bank those points.

1972: Contemporary; 1991: Radisson; 1994: OKW; 2001: BC & Disney Wonder; 2002: BWI; 2003: BCV; 2004: OKW; 2005: BWV; 2006: HHI, GCH@DL; 2007: BWV, GCH@DL; 2008: BCV; 2009: AKV-Kidani/VB & THV; 2010: BLT/BCV; 2011: VGC; 2012:OKW; 2013: VGC; 2014: DLP
maburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maburke View Post
Umm, June UY starts June 1, so a June 2013 trip IS in the same UY as Oct 2013. Sorry if you meant different calendar years, but if you mean the same calendar year, then yes, you are in the same UY. That's when UY matters -- if you might cancel, it's better to have your trip at the beginning of the UY, so you have plenty of time to use or bank those points.
Yes, you are correct. I missed the UY and did also think OP meant October 2012 and June 2013 which would be in two different June UY.

But, if it's June 2013 and October 2013 trips, then they will happen in the same UY so as along as the June trip is cancelled at least 31 days in advance, all points will be returned to the account and can be used in the same way for the October trip.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

IF GCV are available. The 11 month window for June is already past, if the points aren't GCV then I would book home resort as soon as points are available in the system, and TRY to move at 7 months. If BLT points, then the 11 month window for OCT would be coming up in November....

Good luck and congrats on your DVC purchase and starting a family

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: