Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board > United We Stand
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #16
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

AF wife here!!

vettegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #17
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

Good to see this board getting some more attention! Former wife, current girlfriend here.

ExH was Air Force. We were together through the whole process, starting in spring 2006....enlisting, BMT, Tech School. Got stationed at Davis-Monthan in Arizona...hate it. Went through one 6-month deployment to Iraq. He just finished up his 6 year contract and moved home two weeks ago.

DB is also Air Force. Met him just as the divorce was going through and was about to move home. Ended up staying here at DM. (yuck!) We've been together just over 8 months now and have had to deal with three TDY's already, with another on the horizon. He's a SrA, in Intel. He's been in 2 years of 6, and is considering doing Blue to Green.

So all in all, I've been living the military life for a little more than 6 years now. I joke around with DB that i'm doing this all out of order, and if he switches branches it's going to sound ridiculous. AF fiancee to AF wife, to AF girlfriend, to Army girlfriend. lol.
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
minijeanie
It is a great diversion from one's hectic day

delete
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG

Last edited by minijeanie; 08-30-2012 at 07:22 AM.
minijeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #19
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie View Post
My son in Army Reserves. He is also in college. Right now he is waiting to see if he is getting deployed. He is not allowed to sign up for school so basically he is in limbo.His unit is based out of Ft. Totten NY. Some of the people in his unit are now in TX waiting to go to Afghanistan.

I am not understanding why they are pulling reserves overseas? Especially if you are in college. Recruiting person told me that he would never ever get deployed while in school.. YEAH RIGHT!

anyone else have the same situation going on?

It's the Army, they do what they want to. That's always the explanation we get. My husband is a Reservist and when they go for any lengthy training, the ones in school don't go, some of that is because of budgeting, but also becasue they are in school. I don't know if they would do that for a deployment or not, guess it depends on whether they really need him or not. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

My husband's unit has been preparing for Deployment, sort of, for several months, but we have no idea if they are just doing this as part of training, or if they will eventually be going somewhere. They didn't even have drill this month because they didn't have enough money in the budget.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #20
lovemygoofy
Man I shot myself in the foot
I got new moves and everything ready for some serious tips
No, in case you ever wondered, golf carts can't float
Loved by many!

Minijeanie, please be careful how much more you post regarding people and where they are going.

As for your son, he can always deploy whether enrolled into college or not. I know several reserve units that have deployed. They usually attach to another unit also deploying. I actually know a couple guys that had to drop out of law school in the middle of the semester because their units were called up.

Can your son enroll into online classes for this semester? He can still take them hopefully overseas depending on the location of his unit. He could at least take a class or two now and get some credits out of the way.

The army life is not an easy one or for the faint of heart that is for sure.

Love doesn't make the world go around, it makes the ride worthwhile...
lovemygoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

minijeanie-recruiters do what they have to to meet quotas-that can sometimes mean telling the truth as they know it with out research. Meaning if your reserve recruiter didnt immediately know of any college students had had to deploy then egro college students dont deploy. Unforunately, that particular decision is up to his commanders-not his company commander but the higher or Major Command he falls under. If the unit cant make strenghth with out him-he'll go. Regardess of what they told you thats what the contract says. My husband is a reservist (National Guard-which operates a bit differently but the army is the army) hes been called 4 times since 2001-once for security on the state governors residence and buildings in the capital area after 9/11 and three times for deployment. Twice they took their college students because the needed the manning to make the mission. The other two times they had enough planning time to fill the slots without them and let them stay back.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #22
minijeanie

jsmith; all well and good but there is no reason to make the kid sit and wait. Either they should take him or let him go to school for this semester. He was told he is not permitted to sign up for school on the chance he was getting deployed. Now he has no school and no job. How fair is this?
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
Old 08-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #23
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie
jsmith; all well and good but there is no reason to make the kid sit and wait. Either they should take him or let him go to school for this semester. He was told he is not permitted to sign up for school on the chance he was getting deployed. Now he has no school and no job. How fair is this?
That's the Army for you...Hurry up and wait! It's going to be a long hard life for him if he doesn't figure that out now.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
Piglet4Ever
Navy Wife, toughest job in the Navy!!!!!!

Very proud Navy wife here! DH is going to be retiring next yr after serving 23 yrs in the Navy, started as Enlisted and will be retiring as an Officer so the Navy has been very good to us!! It is actually going to be really weird living in the "real" world again once he is out. I think we will miss the leave time the most,
Old 08-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #25
jsmith
And now I am off to get my clippie!
And don't forget to take care of yourself

Actually-thats not 'the army for you" -if the university told him not to sign up for classes-its understandable. However-since he is a reservist his command has no jurisdiction over him except on drill weekends and when he is on orders-if he does not have deployment orders in hand and is not currently on either title 32 or title 10 active duty the he most certianlly is allowed to sign up for school-the commander who told him he was not "allowed" to register for classes has greatly overstepped his bounds. If he can still go and register late for classes he should discuss his situation with the registrars office and see if how his university would handle him having to withdraw if he were to get deployment orders. It sounds like the situation is that his unit has gone to mobilization station and left him as part of rear detachment. He was told not to sign up for school so that he would be available to fill a quota if they lost someone during the mobilization process-except they dont get to do that-they have to put him or orders or let him live his life. However his contract does say they can deploy him-so he risks loosing his investment in tution if he does have to deploy-so its a tough call. But be clear-they can suggest that he not register for classes because of the risk-they can tell him he cannot register for classes.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #26
minijeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
Actually-thats not 'the army for you" -if the university told him not to sign up for classes-its understandable. However-since he is a reservist his command has no jurisdiction over him except on drill weekends and when he is on orders-if he does not have deployment orders in hand and is not currently on either title 32 or title 10 active duty the he most certianlly is allowed to sign up for school-the commander who told him he was not "allowed" to register for classes has greatly overstepped his bounds. If he can still go and register late for classes he should discuss his situation with the registrars office and see if how his university would handle him having to withdraw if he were to get deployment orders. It sounds like the situation is that his unit has gone to mobilization station and left him as part of rear detachment. He was told not to sign up for school so that he would be available to fill a quota if they lost someone during the mobilization process-except they dont get to do that-they have to put him or orders or let him live his life. However his contract does say they can deploy him-so he risks loosing his investment in tution if he does have to deploy-so its a tough call. But be clear-they can suggest that he not register for classes because of the risk-they can tell him he cannot register for classes.
There are many others in his unit in his situation as well. they were told they can be picked up by another unit any time for anywhere. They are technically in pool whereby if needed elsewhere will have to go. He is allowed to take an online class which he signed up for. This weekend he went to the college house where he would of been living this semester. It is 5 hrs from our home. He has been with the same kids for 3 years so kinda bittersweet for him. I am sure in the long run god has his plan and this is where he is meant to be.
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
Old 08-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #27
minijeanie

On a happy note we all just came back from wdw. SOG resort is absolutely awesome and I totally recommend it to anyone who wants to stay there. Staff are wonderful, rooms huge in comparison to wdw resorts and shuttle buses were great.

Oh and you certaintly can't beat the price.

Hopefully we will be back in 2 years with my granddaughter
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG
Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #28
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijeanie View Post
I say this with love...nothing about the military is ever going to be fair. I don't think it was right of the recruiter to say he would never deploy but you don't go into this if you never want it to happen I really hope he is out of limbo soon. Good luck. Armywife here hubby is active dutyand we are in Tx. Excuse typos my tablet is being stupid

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #29
minijeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry View Post
I say this with love...nothing about the military is ever going to be fair. I don't think it was right of the recruiter to say he would never deploy but you don't go into this if you never want it to happen I really hope he is out of limbo soon. Good luck. Armywife here hubby is active dutyand we are in Tx. Excuse typos my tablet is being stupid

okay guess shame on me for believing our own united states government. HOw sad is that!
hmmm...and you wonder why the tea party was formed!
1996- WL
1997-WL, BWV
1999-Dxl, Dolphin
2000-BC, Disney Cruise
2001-HRH,Poly, BWV
2003-HRH, BWV
2005-CR, BWV
2005-POR
2008-CSR,Swan
2012-SOG

Display Modes Rate This Thread