Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #511
grumpy 12
Earning My Ears

Goofy's Kitchen or Surf's Up

I can't decide which character breakfast would be the best. My son loves Goofy and my daughter loves Stitch. My question is which place would be better? Has anybody been the recently that can tell me the characters. I know they switch up all the time. We leave in 46 days so I need to get my decision made fast. We have never done a character dining so this is new to us. Thank you.
grumpy 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #512
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy 12 View Post
I can't decide which character breakfast would be the best. My son loves Goofy and my daughter loves Stitch. My question is which place would be better? Has anybody been the recently that can tell me the characters. I know they switch up all the time. We leave in 46 days so I need to get my decision made fast. We have never done a character dining so this is new to us. Thank you.
You *might* see more characters at GK, but it's a busier restaurant and might require that you stick around longer to wait for them to get to your table.

In mid-December we saw Goofy, Chip, Dale, Minnie, Alice and the Mad Hatter at GK for dinner. At Surf's UP for breakfast, we saw Mickey, Minnie, Stitch, Daisy and Pluto. This was not the crazy busy place that GK was, so the characters had a bit more time and some came around twice.

Another consideration is what meal you want to eat. Surf's Up is breakfast only. We did GK for dinner on our arrival day, and it was nice to have some character interaction that day without being in the parks yet.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-09-2014, 01:38 PM   #513
Kristina4109
Mouseketeer

Our last trip in October we did GK for dinner and Surf's Up for a late breakfast, really lunch. At GK we saw Goofy (of course), Pluto, Chip, Dale, Snow White, Jasmine and Minnie. Each character spent a nice long time at our table.

At Surf's Up we saw Mickey, Pluto, Stitch, whom we’ve never met before, Daisy Duck, and Minnie dressed as a lifeguard. The nice thing is, we got the last seating of the day so we were not rushed at all to leave - in fact, our waitress specifically told us to stay as long as we liked and take lots of pictures with the characters.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #514
grumpy 12
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina4109 View Post
Our last trip in October we did GK for dinner and Surf's Up for a late breakfast, really lunch. At GK we saw Goofy (of course), Pluto, Chip, Dale, Snow White, Jasmine and Minnie. Each character spent a nice long time at our table.

At Surf's Up we saw Mickey, Pluto, Stitch, whom we’ve never met before, Daisy Duck, and Minnie dressed as a lifeguard. The nice thing is, we got the last seating of the day so we were not rushed at all to leave - in fact, our waitress specifically told us to stay as long as we liked and take lots of pictures with the characters.
What time did you book for surf's up? Was the dinner good at Goofy's kitchen?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #515
Kristina4109
Mouseketeer

Our reservation for Surf's Up was at 11:00 AM. We used EE to get into the park at 7:00 AM (yes, we are that freakish), took the monorail out of the park, and made the short walk to PP. Absolutely would do it again.

Dinner at GK was so good. Really expensive, but this was to celebrate my daughter's birthday. (Incidentally, did the same thing in June to celebrate MY birthday!) I'm very much into healthy eating, my husband is not, and my kid is super picky. We ALL found lots to eat. Highlight of my meal was a spicy shrimp ceviche. My husband got a Long Island Iced Tea and I got a glass of Pinot Noir and the entire bill came to $125.78. And we did NOT opt for the photo package this time.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #516
misdizadict
Earning My Ears

I have eaten at GK and Plaza Inn. In my experience Plaza Inn was not only a much better value but we seen so many characters! At Plaza Inn we seen Goofy,Minnie,Winnie the Pooh,Fairy God mother,Tigger and more! The characters came almost immediately after us being seated. At GK we were there for an hour and only seen 2 characters and it was on a Monday morning at 9:30! The food was not as good as Plaza Inn and the price was very high. Maybe we came on an off day but paying over $100 for a mediocre breakfast was not worth it for us.
misdizadict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:12 PM   #517
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by misdizadict View Post
I have eaten at GK and Plaza Inn. In my experience Plaza Inn was not only a much better value but we seen so many characters! At Plaza Inn we seen Goofy,Minnie,Winnie the Pooh,Fairy God mother,Tigger and more! The characters came almost immediately after us being seated. At GK we were there for an hour and only seen 2 characters and it was on a Monday morning at 9:30! The food was not as good as Plaza Inn and the price was very high. Maybe we came on an off day but paying over $100 for a mediocre breakfast was not worth it for us.
It's so interesting to me because we've had the exact opposite experience. We've never had a problem with characters at GK and had our best meal there our last trip, which was a late dinner. We've had good breakfasts at Plaza Inn, but our last time there (Oct. 2012) was SO bad, I'm not sure we'll ever go back. After a huge seating snafu, it took 2 hours for a single character to come by and that was after going to the main handler 3 times (and watching them walk through the section next to us multiple times). We did see some characters, but they were rushed and by this time, people were coming in with their own food (patio seating) and using it like meet & greets, which nobody stopped. So frustrating!

And I disagree - Goofy's Kitchen food is so much better than Plaza Inn and has much more variety. Different strokes for different folks

Upcoming: June 21-25 (PPH); Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12

DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #518
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by misdizadict View Post
Wow, I, too, am shocked by how opposite your experience was from our April 2013 experience. Yes, we had more characters at Plaza Inn, but the food was akin to bad elementary school cafeteria food. Barely palatable (and I ate it only because I didn't want to waste time eating again once we left the restaurant).

Goofy's Kitchen was literally 100 times better than Plaza Inn in our experience and we met with just as many characters. I wouldn't say I loved their food, but it was decent and a good value given the number of characters we saw, too.

We met Chip, Dale, Minnie, Tigger, Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Fairy Godmother, and Captain Hook at Minnie's. We met the same number of characters at Goofy's, where we met Goofy, Aurora, Chip, Dale, Baloo, Pluto, Princess Mulan, and Rafiki.
smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #519
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

I've now done all the character meals but Surf's Up so wanted to weigh in with my comparison.

Goofy's we did last trip for breakfast. Thought the food was pretty good for a buffet setting and there were a few unique items like the PB&J pizza. Not great but a bit beyond your typical hotel breakfast. We had good character interaction, maybe ~8 characters. It was our kids' first character breakfast so I think we were not as used to the logistics yet. I'd love to try it for dinner next time, this time we wanted something different.

Plaza Inn we did both trips. I'd say the food is typical breakfast buffet. We had about 8 characters this time, so pretty good. I feel like its less organized, we saw Eeyore but he didn't make it to his table so we had to walk over and grab him on the way out. We always make a late morning ressie here and the characters kind of hang out after and dance around or pose. Kind of a nice bonus. I wish the picture was WITH Minnie, not just us standing alone.

Ariel's we did for the first time. We had 3 princesses plus Ariel: Mulan, Cinderella, and Snow White. The food was better than I expected from the reviews here. DH and I both had the lobster salad and the kids had the octopus hot dog and mac and cheese. Random, but I also liked that the kid packs there weren't the same paper menu as everywhere else, they included stickers which was nice. I really didn't expect to like it but I would do Ariel's again. I liked the photo opp here, unfortunately my Ariel-loving kids wimped out and are hiding in our pic.

Storyteller's we also tried since we were staying at the GCH. The nice thing is you can order off the menu, so the food was better and not as pricy. I had Huevos Rancheros and DH had banana stuffed french toast. However the characters didn't excite us, we saw Chip and Dale (whom we met also at Plaza Inn) and some bears and a racoon. We had watched Brother Bear in preparation but still not the most exciting characters for my kids. Also no photo package, which is a bummer for us since we get PP+. I would have liked a cute entry pic with Chip n Dale, not sure why they don't do that. I'm not sure we'd do this one again unless it was just for the food, just not Disney enough for us.
BayGirl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #520
grumpy 12
Earning My Ears

Is the peanut butter and jelly pizza there at dinner too or just breakfast? I'm thinking maybe do GK for the dinner the first night since we won't be in the park that day and surf's up for breakfast. I really want my kids to see their favorite characters and since stitch is only at a breakfast I might have to do it this way.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:42 PM   #521
grumpy 12
Earning My Ears

What kind of meat is at the craving station at Gk? That will also help with the decision.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #522
DisneyJamieCA
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy 12 View Post
Is the peanut butter and jelly pizza there at dinner too or just breakfast? I'm thinking maybe do GK for the dinner the first night since we won't be in the park that day and surf's up for breakfast. I really want my kids to see their favorite characters and since stitch is only at a breakfast I might have to do it this way.
Yes, it's there at dinner.

Upcoming: June 21-25 (PPH); Nov 19-25 (GCH)

DL Onsite - Aug. '06 (GCH), Dec. '06 (GCH), Dec. '07 (GCH), Feb. '12 (DLH) Nov. '12 (GCH), Nov. '13 (DLH)

DL Offsite - Sept. '07, Aug. '08, Aug. '09, Nov. '10, July '11, June '12, Oct. '12

DisneyJamieCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #523
misdizadict
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJamieCA View Post
It's so interesting to me because we've had the exact opposite experience. We've never had a problem with characters at GK and had our best meal there our last trip, which was a late dinner. We've had good breakfasts at Plaza Inn, but our last time there (Oct. 2012) was SO bad, I'm not sure we'll ever go back. After a huge seating snafu, it took 2 hours for a single character to come by and that was after going to the main handler 3 times (and watching them walk through the section next to us multiple times). We did see some characters, but they were rushed and by this time, people were coming in with their own food (patio seating) and using it like meet & greets, which nobody stopped. So frustrating! And I disagree - Goofy's Kitchen food is so much better than Plaza Inn and has much more variety. Different strokes for different folks
Yes I'm just as shocked as everyone else about our poor experience at GK. I have read rave reviews before trying on our last visit but it left much to be desired in my opinion. I was shocked that they were offering a wide variety of dessert options at 9:30 in the morning with of course appealed to my 5 and 7 year old children. It wasn't pretty when I was the mean mommy that said no to the cupcakes and pies for breakfast. We were their for an hour with little to Jo character interaction again I must have caught them on a bad day but I have been at the minnie and friends character breakfast at the Plaza Inn and we have been very happy both visits with the food,cost & character interaction. We also enjoy the fact that it is located in the park so it's very easy to get going with your day after breakfast. Agreed everyone has their own opinion
misdizadict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 PM   #524
JadeDarkstar
Dis Veteran Pirate dragon mom

we always do Minnie's plaza inn and have seen so many chrs there before. I loved gk dinner when i went . I have also done the princess but like the amount of chrs at Minnie's the best
we did story tellers too the stake there was wonderful for breakfast and we liked the bears
JadeDarkstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #525
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

I'm trying to decide which character meal would be best for us. I think we'd like to see the most characters possible, so it sounds like Plaza Inn might be the best, but I think we'd like the food at Storyteller's better.

Hmm.

By the way, does DL have someone like Kenny the Pirate who does a really great character website?
OhioStateBuckeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: