Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
Yes, it was in June that they switched over. Here is the official announcement from Disney: http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blo...dventure-park/

I wonder if it is the same menu at lunch as at dinner? Maybe someone has a report on that...
The lunch & dinner menu is the same, as is the price via the Disney Dining CM.
Again, thanx for letting me know of the dinner change!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcitedSam View Post
Totally awesome! I was just coming in to ask about dining times, so will check back later for those! I think I'm going to add another character meal to the list hehehehe!
Yay!! I hope I was able to get the answers you needed on hours. I haven't been able to get them all......yet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyanajc View Post
What a great thread Thank you DizNee Luver...a small request, could you change the color in post #1 (the color is hard for me to read, old eyes ) It is the second to the last paragraph in a aqua color...just before the BIG (thank you for BIG) black letters that reads: THIS IS A WORK IN PROGRESS...
again thank you!
jc
I was wondering if people were able to read that....I'll look for a new color!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplecrush View Post
Thanks for making this!! We have been going back and forth over what character meals to go to, and this certainly helps
Great!! If you have any more questions, please ask!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
teachU2
Earning My Ears

Yay! Thanks for making the superthread! So many people ask questions about character dining! Hopefully, this will decrease the amount people have to type answering the same questions over and over.

Here's my review:
I posted this on another thread.
We were at Minnie's at 7:10 (first reservation) last Thursday. We saw Minnie, Daisy, Chip, Dale, Max, Tigger, Eeyore, Rafiki, and Capt. Hook...and maybe one other...The character interaction was great. Actually, it was hard to eat, b/c the characters were always stopping by. We had several visits by each character. They had little Mickey waffles, French toast, omelete station, eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, pastries (the pound cake was dry), muffins, fruit (strawberries, grapes, pineapple and honeydew) and drinks (juices, coffee, tea, milk, and hot cocoa). Did we eat enough food to justify the cost? No way! But you're paying for the experienice. It was fun. We took lots of pictures and got lots of autographs all in one air conditioned place.

We used our PhotoPass + card and received the printed picture package for free plus the pictures were placed digitally on our pass. Our pictures were taken on the porch right when we arrived. Poses: family and one with my son alone and the "magical" balloons were added to it. They are no PhotoPass photogs inside so you take your own pictures with the characters.
teachU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-17-2012, 04:14 PM   #18
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by larina View Post
Heck, it is hard for my not old eyes to real. I'm glad somebody else said something.

And again, thanks so much. A lot of work goes into a superthread. I do NOT take this lightly at all.
It wasn't a good choice for a font color......so I fixed it!!

You're very welcome!! All input is welcome!!
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014 WDW: 2013

Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #19
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachU2 View Post
Yay! Thanks for making the superthread! So many people ask questions about character dining! Hopefully, this will decrease the amount people have to type answering the same questions over and over.

Here's my review:
We were at Minnie's at 7:10 (first reservation) last Thursday. We saw Minnie, Daisy, Chip, Dale, Max, Tigger, Eeyore, Rafiki, and Capt. Hook...and maybe one other...The character interaction was great. Actually, it was hard to eat, b/c the characters were always stopping by. We had several visits by each character. They had little Mickey waffles, French toast, omelete station, eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, pastries (the pound cake was dry), muffins, fruit (strawberries, grapes, pineapple and honeydew) and drinks (juices, coffee, tea, milk, and hot cocoa). Did we eat enough food to justify the cost? No way! But you're paying for the experienice. It was fun. We took lots of pictures and got lots of autographs all in one air conditioned place.

We used our PhotoPass + card and received the printed picture package for free plus the pictures were placed digitally on our pass. Our pictures were taken on the porch right when we arrived. Poses: family and one with my son alone and the "magical" balloons were added to it. They are no PhotoPass photogs inside so you take your own pictures with the characters.
Thank you for sharing your mini review of Minnie & Friends!! If you have any pics you'd like to share, feel free!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #20
cgh
Mouseketeer

One thing I'd add is maybe tips for the first time character meal goer?

We went to Goofy's Kitchen last year with a 5 pm reservation. We showed up at 4:55 and there was a long line to get in. We couldn't just go in- everyone had to stand with goofy and get a photo. By the time we were sitting it was 5:30!

I never knew that I should get there early. I wish we had gone earlier. I also didn't know that I would need things to keep our 2 year old entertained while we waited. This year, I plan on going much earlier,since it will be important for us to be sitting at 5. (dealing with time change)

Also, tips on hours and best/worst times. (ie. optimal last time reservation if you want to eat and see characters)

Thanks for putting this together it will definitely be easier for people new to character meals to navigate!
Old 07-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #21
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgh View Post
One thing I'd add is maybe tips for the first time character meal goer?

We went to Goofy's Kitchen last year with a 5 pm reservation. We showed up at 4:55 and there was a long line to get in. We couldn't just go in- everyone had to stand with goofy and get a photo. By the time we were sitting it was 5:30!

I never knew that I should get there early. I wish we had gone earlier. I also didn't know that I would need things to keep our 2 year old entertained while we waited. This year, I plan on going much earlier,since it will be important for us to be sitting at 5. (dealing with time change)

Also, tips on hours and best/worst times. (ie. optimal last time reservation if you want to eat and see characters)

Thanks for putting this together it will definitely be easier for people new to character meals to navigate!
Great Idea!!! That's what great about this type of thread, the info will continue to come in & everything will be at the readers fingertips!! Will work on tips!! Thank You!!

Old 07-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #22
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

Wow, thank you for this awesome thread . We are in the very early stages of planning out our first ever DLR vacation for next June. The one thing that my family loves to do is character meals and this thread has really helped me out with that. When we are in WDW, we always do at least 1 character meal a day (we are usually there for more than a week). I am thinking with our DLR vacation we will be wanting to do all of the character meals...we prefer breakfast character meals over dinner, but we would be happy to adjust for the Princess meal .

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
larina
DIS Veteran

GK May 2011:

Surf's Up May 2011:

Plaza Inn, Christmas Eve 2011:

Surf's Up, Christmas Day 2011:

Storyteller's, Dec 2011:

and my daughter's favorite character of the day!:
larina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #24
silence
Missin' Mickey

We have done all 5 character meals (though, last time at PPH we did it as Lilo and Stitch not Mickey and friends ).

My TIPS: Make sure the kids are sitting on the side of the table with easy access to the characters. It also helps to have them sitting next to each other if they can stand it At Goofy's, they have chairs w/ and w/o arms. My DD was in a chair with arms at first and it was very difficult for her to get out to stand up and take pics. They switched it out for us no problem. Also be mindful of the light, since they all seem to have lots of windows, this will affect your pics!

Anyways, last week we did Minnie's and Goofy's. We did not make PS before our trip. We don't like to over plan. We called Disney Dining on Monday for Minnie's Tues. morning and Tuesday night for Goofy's on Weds. morning. We have had a few really bad experiences at Goofy's, with either no or only 1 character making it to our table after 90 min. These experiences happened during dinner, we swore we would not go back. Since we were staying at the DLH, we decided to give brunch another try.

Goofy's redeemed themselves in our eyes this past meal. We had great character interaction, we love the additional food choices for brunch, plus, as an added bonus, we got to sit a table away from Jennette McCurdy (Sam from iCarly). She was there with a friend, took some pics with the characters, even signed a couple of autographs for girls that came up to their table (we did not, though my daughter would have loved too). We had a 10:40 reservation on Wednesday and there were many tables open.

IMG_0130 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

IMG_0128 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

We did Minnie's in the park on Tuesday with an 8:30am reservation time. There was no wait to get in. We like this restaurant the best, we have never had any issues here and usually eat here every trip. We like the food (DH can get biscuits and gravy) and we always see a ton of characters. Minnie is also DD favorite. (seen below in her Minnie inspired skirt made by her great grandma)

IMG_0075 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

IMG_0079 by silencerobinson, on Flickr

Past Trips: Feb/Mar '14 - GCH Cheer Comp / Dec '13 - Candy Cane Inn / June '13 Candy Cane Inn / May 4 13 DCL FANTASY cruise and MK / Jan '13 GCH / July '12 DLH / April 1 '12 DISNEY CRUISE on the WONDER! / Feb 20 11 DISNEYCRUISE to MR and DISNEYLAND - Candy Cane Inn / Oct 10 - GCH / Nov 10 - HoJos / July 10 - HoJo's / July 09 - HoJo's & DLH / May 09 - HoJo's / April 09 - HoJo's & Candy Cane Inn / January 09 - HoJo's / November 08 - HoJo's / October 08 - HoJo's / Aug 08 - Desert Inn / May 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Mar 08 - Desert Inn and Suites / Nov 07 - Ramada Inn Maingate / Sept 07 - Hawthorn Suites / May 07 - Paradise Pier / Aug 06 - HoJo / Dec 05 - DLH / May 03 - Hawthorn Suites / Sept 02 - Hilton Garden Inn / Nov 00 - Hilton Garden Inn / Sept 99 - Hawthorn Suites
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #25
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
and my daughter's favorite character of the day!:
larina -

Great photos! I got to your final photo first and was scrolling up, instead of the other way around, and I said out loud (to no one but myself), "What is Travis Barker doing at their character meal?"

So Travis was eating there too, when you all were there? How cool! I never see anyone good at my character meals - other than characters. I hear that he is at DLR a lot with his kids.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #26
disneygal6568
making dreams come true

Okay so for my vacation we can only pick one character meal. We have an 11 yr old and a 3 yr old girl in our party along with 2 adults. This is our first time in Disneyland but we have been to WDW numerous times.

1.Is Surf's Up with Mickey and Friends like Chef Mickey's
2. If you could only pick one character meal, which one would you pick and why?
3. What should MY group pick?

Keep the Magic Alive!
disneygal6568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #27
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoohsFan1 View Post
Wow, thank you for this awesome thread . We are in the very early stages of planning out our first ever DLR vacation for next June. The one thing that my family loves to do is character meals and this thread has really helped me out with that. When we are in WDW, we always do at least 1 character meal a day (we are usually there for more than a week). I am thinking with our DLR vacation we will be wanting to do all of the character meals...we prefer breakfast character meals over dinner, but we would be happy to adjust for the Princess meal .
I'm glad you are finding information here to help you plan. We loved doing all the meals!! You can do the Princess one as a breakfast as well!!

Quote:
pics
Thank you for sharing all those wonderful photos!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence View Post
We have done all 5 character meals (though, last time at PPH we did it as Lilo and Stitch not Mickey and friends ).

My TIPS: Make sure the kids are sitting on the side of the table with easy access to the characters. It also helps to have them sitting next to each other if they can stand it At Goofy's, they have chairs w/ and w/o arms. My DD was in a chair with arms at first and it was very difficult for her to get out to stand up and take pics. They switched it out for us no problem. Also be mindful of the light, since they all seem to have lots of windows, this will affect your pics!

Anyways, last week we did Minnie's and Goofy's. We did not make PS before our trip. We don't like to over plan. We called Disney Dining on Monday for Minnie's Tues. morning and Tuesday night for Goofy's on Weds. morning. We have had a few really bad experiences at Goofy's, with either no or only 1 character making it to our table after 90 min. These experiences happened during dinner, we swore we would not go back. Since we were staying at the DLH, we decided to give brunch another try.

Goofy's redeemed themselves in our eyes this past meal. We had great character interaction, we love the additional food choices for brunch, plus, as an added bonus, we got to sit a table away from Jennette McCurdy (Sam from iCarly). She was there with a friend, took some pics with the characters, even signed a couple of autographs for girls that came up to their table (we did not, though my daughter would have loved too). We had a 10:40 reservation on Wednesday and there were many tables open.

We did Minnie's in the park on Tuesday with an 8:30am reservation time. There was no wait to get in. We like this restaurant the best, we have never had any issues here and usually eat here every trip. We like the food (DH can get biscuits and gravy) and we always see a ton of characters. Minnie is also DD favorite. (seen below in her Minnie inspired skirt made by her great grandma)
I remember doing the Lilo & Stitch meal.......it was just as fun as the new Surf's Up with Mickey meal!!

Thank you for your tips!!

Thank you for your mini reviews & photos!!!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #28
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
larina -

Great photos! I got to your final photo first and was scrolling up, instead of the other way around, and I said out loud (to no one but myself), "What is Travis Barker doing at their character meal?"

So Travis was eating there too, when you all were there? How cool! I never see anyone good at my character meals - other than characters. I hear that he is at DLR a lot with his kids.
I guess I skipped right past the Travis Barker pic!!! NICE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal6568 View Post
Okay so for my vacation we can only pick one character meal. We have an 11 yr old and a 3 yr old girl in our party along with 2 adults. This is our first time in Disneyland but we have been to WDW numerous times.

1.Is Surf's Up with Mickey and Friends like Chef Mickey's
2. If you could only pick one character meal, which one would you pick and why?
3. What should MY group pick?
Well, I've never been to WDW.....but have been planning our December trip for 6months now. We are planning on doing 9 character meals.....so from everything I've seen & read about Chef Mickey's......Goofy's Kitchen is going to be the closest to that meal.

Surf's Up with Mickey wouldn't not be comparable to Chef Mickey's but probably closer to Ohana's with Lilo and Stitch.

My go to used to be Goofy's Kitchen....but I have twin autistic girls and it's just too loud there. So my family has fallen in love with the Surf's Up meal. This is the only meal with Mickey. This is also the only meal Stitch appears. So if you've ever been to a meal with Stitch....you know that his antics keep the kids laughing. They also do fun things with the kids: surfing, hula hoops, dancing with the characters, etc. Just a really fun meal for kids of all ages.

I think the best choice for your family is the one with the characters your kids are most interested in seeing. The food is pretty even across the board....so it's who you're wanting to see that will make your decision easier.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #29
teachU2
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Here's my review:

Forgot to add this tip. We had 5 day Park Hoppers so we had one MM. We used our MM on Tuesday for rides. Purposefully, I made our Minnie reservation for Thursday (another MM.) As noted above, our reservation was at 7:10 so we were able to enter park early for b-fast even though we didn't have MM that day. We finished with characters and b-fast by 7:50ish so we had a little head start on the people who were in line for rope drop.
If you are entering early, be sure to keep walking all the way to the left end...further than you think...that is where you'll see the special gate for Minnie's b-fast. (I hope all that made sense!)
teachU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:38 PM   #30
DizNee Luver

Quote:
Forgot to add this tip. We had 5 day Park Hoppers so we had one MM. We used our MM on Tuesday for rides. Purposefully, I made our Minnie reservation for Thursday (another MM.) As noted above, our reservation was at 7:10 so we were able to enter park early for b-fast even though we didn't have MM that day. We finished with characters and b-fast by 7:50ish so we had a little head start on the people who were in line for rope drop.
If you are entering early, be sure to keep walking all the way to the left end...further than you think...that is where you'll see the special gate for Minnie's b-fast. (I hope all that made sense!)
I added this tip on the front page!! It's gates 1 & 2 that have the CM's ready to check you in!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: