Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #196
yaya74
Mouseketeer
 
yaya74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Colorado
Posts: 117

Which meal would cost more?
A: Lunch at Ariel's Grotto
B: Dinner at Goofy's Kitchen?

I have a Costco pkg which includes vouchers for premium character meals . I want to get the most out of my meal voucher.

Thank you!
yaya74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:04 PM   #197
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Junkie View Post
We got a chance to do both Goofy's Kitchen and Ariel's Grotto last week.

Goofy's had a lot of characters (Rafiki, Pluto, Belle, Baloo, Dale, Alice, and Goofy), and I think they each came by our table once (except Goofy who stayed up front). Food was decent, and there were a lot of options (breakfast and lunch items).

Ariel's Grotto was nice. It was more structured, with each of the princesses being introduced and coming by the table once. We loved the food here! The tri-tip was excellent, and all the appetizers and desserts were good too.

I still think the Surf's Up breakfast is my favorite character meal. They have the dancing & surf lessons for the kids, and there is more character interaction. Still 2 more to try, next time!
You did have a good turnout of characters at Goofys!! We've always enjoyed the food at Ariel's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
We have to do at least one meal at Ariel's Grotto for DD. Would those that have dined there recommend breakfast, lunch, or dinner for the food? What about for kids wrt food? Thanks!
I've done breakfast & dinner (when it was for the WoC dining package...but seems to be pretty close to the same menu). The breakfast was your typical breakfast foods: scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit & pastires. The dinner/lunch is a nice meal.....the Tri Tip always gets high reviews and I've had the chicken, fish & cioppino and wouldn't have a problem eating any of those again. My kids enjoyed their meals at dinner as well......one of them had the turkey meatball lollipop on spaghetti and she still talks about it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya74 View Post
Which meal would cost more?
A: Lunch at Ariel's Grotto
B: Dinner at Goofy's Kitchen?

I have a Costco pkg which includes vouchers for premium character meals . I want to get the most out of my meal voucher.

Thank you!
Both meals are considered "Premium" character meals, so pretty equal for cost. I would base your choice on 1. which characters are you most interested in seeing (or should I say.....HOPING to see) and 2. Do you want a buffet meal or a sit down meal??

Ariel's will be ordering off menu and more of a "regal" experience with the princesses. Each one is announced and comes by your table once.

Goofy's will be a large buffet, loud and a variety of characters. Sometimes you'll see a character more than once.
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #198
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,366

Just wanted to let people know: I apologize if I'm slow answering questions.......my laptop died & now it seems my cell phone is going to do the same thing. I don't have a chance to get on our other computer but about once a day (if I'm lucky). I'm trying to at least get on daily to catch up......but it's going to be another couple weeks before I'm up and running again. (boooooo)
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #199
Ride Junkie
Just skulking around...
I love any activity that requires a helmet
 
Ride Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 2,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammeador2 View Post
At Goofy's Kitchen no longer AAA discount I just paid full price and was told no discount and that it was done away 2 years ago....hmm...
Goofy's Kitchen also no longer offers a 10% discount with your Disney Visa. Apparently there was a conflict with getting the discount and also earning points on the Visa.
Ride Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #200
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride Junkie View Post
Goofy's Kitchen also no longer offers a 10% discount with your Disney Visa. Apparently there was a conflict with getting the discount and also earning points on the Visa.
Well booooo, sorry to hear that there are issues with the Disney Visa. We used to have the debit card but some government rule made banks stop offering rewards/perks with debit cards so we closed our acct. Now I've heard they've brought it back......wonder if that's what's causing the problems now??
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #201
cgh
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 329

Hello! Still here, but have 3 character meals under our belts and thought I'd give a review.

Friday-Goofy's kitchen 5 pm. Wonderful, wonderful experience. Entry was different then the other time we came. We arrived at 4:45, checked in, and sat down to wait for photos/seating. Then, when Goofy arrived (maybe at 4:55?-before 5) we stood in a brief line for photos (maybe a 1-2 minute wait). We were seated promptly and got our food. Menu was salads (both a romaine mix and iceberg with mixins you add including carrots, peas, cheese, and mushrooms and something else), caprese salad, pasta salad, potato salad I think. There were 4 dressings for the tossed sald which I really liked (last year there was only one which I didn't like). Then there were the hot items- strip carving and roast turkey (arrived late to the buffet), sauteed mushrooms (loved these), Broccoli/carrots, mashed potatoes, pork ribs, chicken, rice, eggrolls I think. Desserts were a couple kinds of cupcakes, worms in dirt, oreo mousse (loved this!), lemon bars, bread pudding, a fruit cobbler, jello, and a couple kinds of cookies. Kids area was pizza (cheese, pepperoni, PB&J, hotdogs, chicken nuggests, fried shrimp, mac &cheese, and sphagetti and meatballs). Oh, and an ice cream sundae bar and rolls.

Characters- great interaction! Minnie, Cinderella, Belle, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Goofy.
All and all, we loved it, and would do it again-and well, we did.

Monday-Goofy's Kitchen (comped by DLH due to some room problems).

All pretty much the same. The rice changed (went from spanish rice to white), taquittos switched to egg rolls. For characters we had the Fairy Godmother instead of Cinderella and Belle. This time, we sat near the back door where we got to go the characters come and go a lot as they switched out for breaks.
__________________
cgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #202
cgh
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 329

Wednesday morning- Minnie and Friends 10 am reservation-
All and all good and we'd do it again. Minnie took DS's hand and led us to the table which was very cute. We saw Minnie (a bunch!), Chip and Dale, Max?, Rafiki?, Geppeto, Captain Hook, Pooh, Eeyore, and the Fairy Godmother.

DS was really scared of Geppeto. I was rather surprised. The Easter Bunny doesn't scare him-but Geppeto does. He also was really really shy (to the point of not wanting to talk to them) for any of the face characters -ie Princesses and the Fairy Godmother (who is very good!) We had plenty of interaction with the charaters and were well positioned along the main corridor. We would do it again-and really, if you want character interaction these breakfasts are great!

As for food- they had waffles, french toast, cereals and fruit, a wide variety of fruit, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, eggs, ham, sausage and gravy. Oh, and make your own omelets. At 11 you could still get everything, though they had stopped refiling. We left around 11:15. Ample characters still there. Loved the 10 am time!

We are currently scheduled for Surf's up (our favorite) tomorrow, but we'll see if DS wants to do that or go on rides. We are checking out and he wants to do Carsland for I think a 5th time?
__________________
cgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #203
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgh View Post
Hello! Still here, but have 3 character meals under our belts and thought I'd give a review.

Friday-Goofy's kitchen 5 pm. Wonderful, wonderful experience. Entry was different then the other time we came. We arrived at 4:45, checked in, and sat down to wait for photos/seating. Then, when Goofy arrived (maybe at 4:55?-before 5) we stood in a brief line for photos (maybe a 1-2 minute wait). We were seated promptly and got our food. Menu was salads (both a romaine mix and iceberg with mixins you add including carrots, peas, cheese, and mushrooms and something else), caprese salad, pasta salad, potato salad I think. There were 4 dressings for the tossed sald which I really liked (last year there was only one which I didn't like). Then there were the hot items- strip carving and roast turkey (arrived late to the buffet), sauteed mushrooms (loved these), Broccoli/carrots, mashed potatoes, pork ribs, chicken, rice, eggrolls I think. Desserts were a couple kinds of cupcakes, worms in dirt, oreo mousse (loved this!), lemon bars, bread pudding, a fruit cobbler, jello, and a couple kinds of cookies. Kids area was pizza (cheese, pepperoni, PB&J, hotdogs, chicken nuggests, fried shrimp, mac &cheese, and sphagetti and meatballs). Oh, and an ice cream sundae bar and rolls.

Characters- great interaction! Minnie, Cinderella, Belle, Pluto, Chip, Dale, Goofy.
All and all, we loved it, and would do it again-and well, we did.

Monday-Goofy's Kitchen (comped by DLH due to some room problems).

All pretty much the same. The rice changed (went from spanish rice to white), taquittos switched to egg rolls. For characters we had the Fairy Godmother instead of Cinderella and Belle. This time, we sat near the back door where we got to go the characters come and go a lot as they switched out for breaks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgh View Post
Wednesday morning- Minnie and Friends 10 am reservation-
All and all good and we'd do it again. Minnie took DS's hand and led us to the table which was very cute. We saw Minnie (a bunch!), Chip and Dale, Max?, Rafiki?, Geppeto, Captain Hook, Pooh, Eeyore, and the Fairy Godmother.

DS was really scared of Geppeto. I was rather surprised. The Easter Bunny doesn't scare him-but Geppeto does. He also was really really shy (to the point of not wanting to talk to them) for any of the face characters -ie Princesses and the Fairy Godmother (who is very good!) We had plenty of interaction with the charaters and were well positioned along the main corridor. We would do it again-and really, if you want character interaction these breakfasts are great!

As for food- they had waffles, french toast, cereals and fruit, a wide variety of fruit, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, eggs, ham, sausage and gravy. Oh, and make your own omelets. At 11 you could still get everything, though they had stopped refiling. We left around 11:15. Ample characters still there. Loved the 10 am time!

We are currently scheduled for Surf's up (our favorite) tomorrow, but we'll see if DS wants to do that or go on rides. We are checking out and he wants to do Carsland for I think a 5th time?
Thank you for the reviews.....sounds like some good food & some fun meals. Some kids like the furries better than faces......"stranger danger" plays into it. Enjoy the rest of your time!!
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #204
poohj80
Got Hunny?
 
poohj80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 5,713

Does anyone know what are the hours for Ariel's Grotto breakfast? Latest I could get was 9:50 which seemed early for the latest.
__________________

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #205
Minnie Sue Oz
DIS Veteran
 
Minnie Sue Oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 749

Hello there!!!

I have just read the whole thread, start to finish, and must say it is fabulous! So much excellent information and the pictures are wonderful!

We have done all the character breakfasts and our favourite was Surf's Up. The interaction with the characters was fabulous. Goofy's was our least favourite as they seemed to just pass us by! Minnie's we did twice last trip and it was the best for the most number of characters at any of the breakfasts on offer. Storytellers we liked as it was a little more relaxed and as others have said, different characters that you don't see anywhere else!
We also did the lunch at Ariels and for what seems to be different to most people, we really were not fussed on the food. We will however be going back on our trip in October, but will be doing breakfast this time!

I thought I would just mention too, that the little surfing lessons that they have with surfer music and carpet surfboards can be fun for the big kid in us all.......



Yep, that's me and my DD.............Mickey and Minnie came and got us by the hands and made us surf with them! It was so much fun ( and yes I am a 44 year old adult!!!! ) But hey, I am just a big kid!!!

They really ham it up too..........





That hat sure got a whole lot of attention!!!

And from Storytellers......



So if you are looking for great character interaction, we learnt that if you play it up to them, you will get some great responses!!!! Props are good too
__________________
Minnie Sue Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #206
DizNee Luver
Luver of all things Disney!
 
DizNee Luver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philomath, Oregon
Posts: 9,366

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80 View Post
Does anyone know what are the hours for Ariel's Grotto breakfast? Latest I could get was 9:50 which seemed early for the latest.
The seatings here are probably done at very specific times since the princesses are "announced" and then make their way around all the tables. You will see all of them, one after another (very small break between) and when they've gone to all the tables, they leave. So they probably have it set up for people to be seated for each "showing" of the princesses.
(lunch seatings start at 11:30, so they have to make sure the restaurant is cleared before they start the lunch too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Sue Oz View Post
Hello there!!!

I have just read the whole thread, start to finish, and must say it is fabulous! So much excellent information and the pictures are wonderful!

We have done all the character breakfasts and our favourite was Surf's Up. The interaction with the characters was fabulous. Goofy's was our least favourite as they seemed to just pass us by! Minnie's we did twice last trip and it was the best for the most number of characters at any of the breakfasts on offer. Storytellers we liked as it was a little more relaxed and as others have said, different characters that you don't see anywhere else!
We also did the lunch at Ariels and for what seems to be different to most people, we really were not fussed on the food. We will however be going back on our trip in October, but will be doing breakfast this time!

I thought I would just mention too, that the little surfing lessons that they have with surfer music and carpet surfboards can be fun for the big kid in us all.......



Yep, that's me and my DD.............Mickey and Minnie came and got us by the hands and made us surf with them! It was so much fun ( and yes I am a 44 year old adult!!!! ) But hey, I am just a big kid!!!

They really ham it up too..........





That hat sure got a whole lot of attention!!!

And from Storytellers......



So if you are looking for great character interaction, we learnt that if you play it up to them, you will get some great responses!!!! Props are good too
Thank you for sharing your reviews & pictures of the meals.....looked like a lot of fun!!!
__________________
Road Trip 2014HEREClub 33HEREWDW TRHEREOct PTRHERE 2013 Divas #3HERE2012 Holiday Trip HERE
WDW Dec 12 PTR~Cancelled: HERE 2011 Holiday Trip: HEREDivas, Take 2~2012: HEREDiva's TR~2011: HERE
10 of Us Summer Trip~2010: HERE 25th Anniv.TR~2009: HERE

DLR: 1967, 1972, 1984, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013 WDW: 2013


DizNee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #207
ammeador2
DIS Veteran
 
ammeador2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indiana too far from Disney..
Posts: 707

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizNee Luver

I'm trying to remember where I got that list of discounts.......hmmmmm, well I'll remove the AAA until find out otherwise. Thank you for letting me know (and sorry you didn't get any kind of disc. Hopefully you still had fun!!)

Edited: I just looked at the list of discounts in Post #2......I don't show AAA as one of the discounts.

Welcome!!
I wasn't sure where I saw it, might have been another thread but I wanted to pass it on along just in case . We did enjoy it and Ariel's Grotto we had a great breakfast the next day. Let me tell you I am a huge fan of all of the desserts at goofy's kitchen! Wish we could have tried the other restaurants.

We had breakfast at Ariel's grotto at 920 and the place was dead! There was only 3-4 families seated the whole time we were there. Trust me DH ate enough eggs bacon and waffles for 5 families!
__________________
ammeador2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #208
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran
 
theworldneedscolor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 766

Can Minnie and Friends be booked for before park opening? I really don't want to waste our few park hours. If so, are all the characters out then or is it slim pickings?
__________________
DMom DDad Me! DSister Leroy Oreo

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #209
poohj80
Got Hunny?
 
poohj80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 5,713

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammeador2 View Post
We had breakfast at Ariel's grotto at 920 and the place was dead! There was only 3-4 families seated the whole time we were there. Trust me DH ate enough eggs bacon and waffles for 5 families!
We have 9:20 booked during out Oct trip. Since it was dead, were you able to see all the Princesses and get out in a reasonable amount of time? We'll be trying to get to Cars Land.
__________________

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #210
cgh
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 329

Surf's up review

Our last morning, we did surf's up with Mickey at 9:20. We had to wait a bit for the table (9:30) and the place was fairly busy. All in all it was a fun time. Characters included Mickey, Minnie, Daisy, Stitch and Pluto. Each would be introduced, be in charge of an activity of which all kids were invited to participate with all the characters, then go table to table. Activities were largely dancing related (ie. do the twist, do a different dance move, etc. These activities were every 20-30 minutes, I'd say.

We had plenty of attention from the characters and overall liked the group activity. This one is definitely the smallest character meal and it felt a bit more intimate.

As for food- I love the breakfast pizza! They had a mix of lunch and breakfast items. Mickey waffles, pancakes and banana french toast (yummy!). Pizza (both breakfast and plain cheese). An omelet station (missed that until the end) Sausage-pork and chicken, bacon, scrambled eggs, a spinach/egg white frittata, yogurt, cereals, fresh fruit, and a chicken dish.

After completing 4 character meals during our week (2 dinners with Goofy, Surf's Up and Minnie's) I think its a toss up of what I would advise others to do. Minnies only had breakfast food. Goofy has a dinner option.

I do think it probably depends on the characters you would want to see. I did Minnies for the Winnie the Pooh characters (and we had Pooh and Eeyore). I like that Surf's up have the playhouse disney characters. I thought food everywhere was fine/decent.

We did the photo packages everywhere and if you are doing multiple character meals I'd highly recommend the photopass plus. We bought ours ahead of time for $69.99 and we got 4 character meal packages (digital + hard copies). The exact things that people were getting and shelling out $35/pop. So, just 2 character meals and the photopass plus had paid for itself.
__________________
cgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: