Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
peaches00
Mouseketeer

Chance of Disneyland getting fastpass+

Hello all; wdw/universal orlando veteran wants to change it up...before I start planning I want to make sure fastpass+ is not going west. Can anyone say?

grand floridian 2002 poly club 2009 port Orleans 2011
royal pacific club 2007
Portofino bay club 2008,2010(x2)
peaches00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:31 PM   #2
GatorChris
Mouseketeer

It isn't and I hope it never does.

WDW: 2002,2004,2006,2008,2010,2011,2012
DL: 2006, 2013
GatorChris is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
peaches00
Mouseketeer

That's what I wanted to hear...thank you!

grand floridian 2002 poly club 2009 port Orleans 2011
royal pacific club 2007
Portofino bay club 2008,2010(x2)
peaches00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches00 View Post
Hello all; wdw/universal orlando veteran wants to change it up...before I start planning I want to make sure fastpass+ is not going west. Can anyone say?
I do not expect you or anyone else to search the forum every time they have a question. I am therefore just fine with you asking it here.

There was a very good discussion on this back in July and rather than rehashing the whole thing again here - when there has been no more news or info on this since then - I will just provide a link to that thread.

"Do you think FP+ will come to DL?" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3295860

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
brocklesnar69
Proud to be a Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorChris View Post
It isn't and I hope it never does.
I just recently learned of this FP+ thing. Why is it so hated?

brocklesnar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklesnar69 View Post
Well, at WDW you have to pick your FPs 60 days in advance. That was a little tricky for us when we had never been before. Ok, you don't HAVE to, but some may be gone if you wait. By the time you used your first 3 FPs of the day there usually isn't too much left to choose from. But sometimes we got lucky.

Personally, overall I thought it was fine for WDW. You didn't have to keep track of little papers and you didn't have to run over to the ride to get your FP. I just wouldn't want it at DLR. DLR isn't about planning every tiny detail like at WDW. And I hope it stays that way. Thank goodness I don't have to know where I want to eat at DLR 6 months in advance!
Old 09-24-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
tarheelalum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Because it takes away all freedom. You can't go with the flow and do whatever your mood strikes you with. You have to plan everything out like someone with OCD. That is not what DL is all about.
tarheelalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:54 AM   #8
Suvadoo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You can make FP+ reservations 60 days out if you are staying at a WDW resort. If you have an AP or are staying off property, you have 30 days to make reservations.
The planning required if you want to go on E ticket rides, makes it feel like a job rather than vacation planning. Then when you're in the parks and you want to review your reservations, you consult your smart phone (if the app is working properly). I intensely dislike FP+ and I hope it never ruins the spontaneity and fun at DLR.
Suvadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #9
nikkislaght
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvadoo View Post
You can make FP+ reservations 60 days out if you are staying at a WDW resort. If you have an AP or are staying off property, you have 30 days to make reservations.
The planning required if you want to go on E ticket rides, makes it feel like a job rather than vacation planning. Then when you're in the parks and you want to review your reservations, you consult your smart phone (if the app is working properly). I intensely dislike FP+ and I hope it never ruins the spontaneity and fun at DLR.
Dont you just LOVE how all these companies assume everyone has a smart phone.!!!
nikkislaght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
Suvadoo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkislaght View Post
Dont you just LOVE how all these companies assume everyone has a smart phone.!!!
I love that assumption and also the assumption that you want to use it in the parks. I go to DLR to escape my everyday life. And for me that's not being attached to my phone.
Suvadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:
Looking at the other responses, I think it is more than a dislike for choosing FPs 60 days in advance. Although that is part of it for sure. But some people like being able to choose FPs in advance so they are not pressed to get to the parks early and get their FPs. They can show up late and still have FPs to use. So that part, frankly, has advantages.

I think for those who "hate" FP+ there are additional reasons...

1. It seems that FP+ has made wait times go up significantly for rides that never had waits before. Because to make FP+ work more rides need FP. So WDW has added FP to most of their rides.

2. The IT infrastructure has not been reliable. People would book FP+ online and then they would get lost in the cyber world. People would show up at the ride and be told they did not have FPs at all even though they had paperwork to prove they did. Guests would be treated as if they were lying when their virtual FPs got lost.

3. The Magic Bands would not work reliably for some people.

4. The MDE smartphone app they needed to manage their FP+ would freeze up and crash regularly making it unusable for many guests.

5. It was hard to manage FPs for irregular groups. For example, let's say you were going to WDW. And grandparents were coming for two days in the middle of your trip. But you were not sure which days. Then your sister and family was coming for a few days. Maybe you have a trip planned and it is not certain your 20 year old son will make it because of a getting time off a job. All of these "we really do not know our group size and which days we will be together" issues made it harder if not impossible to plan FPs in advance.

6. Aside from the aspect of having to make FP choices 60 days in advance, it also locks you into certain parks on certain days. Some folks like more freedom to change which parks they want to visit.

I have not used FP+ yet or MDE. Overall I think it has pluses and minuses. From what I read the minuses are more than the pluses for the simple reason I have a hard time getting my group together 60 days in advance and we tend to plan trips more like a month in advance. And I do not like having to make choices like that in advance.

DLR 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #12
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
Looking at the other responses, I think it is more than a dislike for choosing FPs 60 days in advance. Although that is part of it for sure. But some people like being able to choose FPs in advance so they are not pressed to get to the parks early and get their FPs. They can show up late and still have FPs to use. So that part, frankly, has advantages.

I think for those who "hate" FP+ there are additional reasons...

1. It seems that FP+ has made wait times go up significantly for rides that never had waits before. Because to make FP+ work more rides need FP. So WDW has added FP to most of their rides.

2. The IT infrastructure has not been reliable. People would book FP+ online and then they would get lost in the cyber world. People would show up at the ride and be told they did not have FPs at all even though they had paperwork to prove they did. Guests would be treated as if they were lying when their virtual FPs got lost.

3. The Magic Bands would not work reliably for some people.

4. The MDE smartphone app they needed to manage their FP+ would freeze up and crash regularly making it unusable for many guests.

5. It was hard to manage FPs for irregular groups. For example, let's say you were going to WDW. And grandparents were coming for two days in the middle of your trip. But you were not sure which days. Then your sister and family was coming for a few days. Maybe you have a trip planned and it is not certain your 20 year old son will make it because of a getting time off a job. All of these "we really do not know our group size and which days we will be together" issues made it harder if not impossible to plan FPs in advance.

6. Aside from the aspect of having to make FP choices 60 days in advance, it also locks you into certain parks on certain days. Some folks like more freedom to change which parks they want to visit.

I have not used FP+ yet or MDE. Overall I think it has pluses and minuses. From what I read the minuses are more than the pluses for the simple reason I have a hard time getting my group together 60 days in advance and we tend to plan trips more like a month in advance. And I do not like having to make choices like that in advance.

7) Limit of 3 (4th is available from an in-park kiosk but odds of getting a headliner are not high.

8) No ride repeats on your first 3 (and once again, not high odds of getting a headliner as 4th or beyond)

9) Tiering of rides in DHS and Epcot means you can't just choose the 3 you want.

And I will add that MDE has been down most of the last 24 hours just as people were trying to schedule for their Thanksgiving week trips.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #13
FryingPansWhoKnew
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGuy View Post
But some people like being able to choose FPs in advance so they are not pressed to get to the parks early and get their FPs. They can show up late and still have FPs to use. So that part, frankly, has advantages.
I have to admit, this point puzzles me. When FastPass was introduced, it was billed as a "hold your place in line" tool. If you aren't even in the park, how is your place in line being held? This also runs contrary to what seems like a basic rule of society...which is first come, first serve.
FryingPansWhoKnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryingPansWhoKnew View Post
I have to admit, this point puzzles me. When FastPass was introduced, it was billed as a "hold your place in line" tool. If you aren't even in the park, how is your place in line being held? This also runs contrary to what seems like a basic rule of society...which is first come, first serve.
I didn't realize until I started participating in FP+ threads that the entire concept of "first come, first served" was actually quite passé. Who knew?
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I didn't realize until I started participating in FP+ threads that the entire concept of "first come, first served" was actually quite passé. Who knew?
The new rule is the Golden Rule: the one with more gold makes the rules.

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: