Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Jilligan
Earning My Ears

4 day single park passes or 3 day park hoppers?

My 2 DD's (10 & 18) and I will be traveling to DLR Oct 28th-Nov1st. We arrive at lax at 1230pm on the 28th. What I am wondering is, would you head over to the parks from approximately 2pm until close? If so which park would you go to? We have tickets for MHP on Oct 29th which we are super excited about too! I'm trying to figure out our best use of time and passes. This will be our second visit to DLR, our last time was in 2012.

So, would you get 3 day park hoppers or 4 day single park? The last time we were in DL we had park hoppers but only went back and forth between the two parks on our last day for favorite rides we wanted to do one last time.

TIA for your help and suggestions.
Jilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
gottalovepluto
Mouseketeer

4 day single parks, hoppers are a luxury in my opinion and not necessary. If no hoppers means you can spend more time in the parks definitely go for the no hopper option!
gottalovepluto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
GatorChris
Mouseketeer

I'll agree with Pluto. 4 days is always better than 3. That it, unless, you have something else that you might want to do in LA on the day of your arrival. But that seems like a long waste of a day if there's nothing else on your agenda.

WDW: 2002,2004,2006,2008,2010,2011,2012
DL: 2006, 2013
GatorChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Jilligan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorChris View Post
I'll agree with Pluto. 4 days is always better than 3. That it, unless, you have something else that you might want to do in LA on the day of your arrival. But that seems like a long waste of a day if there's nothing else on your agenda.
Thanks, that was what I was thinking too. We have nothing else we really want to do but to be immersed in the magic of Disney!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:59 AM   #5
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I'd also go for the non hoppers.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Angrose
Mouseketeer

On Orbitz and Cheaptickets you can buy 3-day park hoppers and get an extra day free. So, you are essentially getting 4-day park hoppers for the price of the 3-day. ALSO, if you go through Ebates and click through to Cheaptickets then you can get an additional 6.88% cash back (but you have to wait 3 months to get your check). Orbitz cash back is only 3% with Ebates. Or, if you have a Discover card then you can go through their shopping portal for 5% cash back with Orbitz.

I recently purchased my park hoppers with Ebates/Cheaptickets and will be getting $53 cash back.

Also, the email confirmation you receive is a voucher, not the actual tickets. You must take the voucher to the ticket booth with ID to get your tickets. I did this in February and had no problems whatsoever.

Have a great trip!

Upcoming Trips:
Thanksgiving Weekend 2014...It's happening!!
Angrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #7
Grendalynn
Self Proclaimed DIS Veteran

Subscribing!

I am thinking about lanning a 7-10 day vacation to California in April 2015. DH wants to visit the redwood forrest and I want to go to Disneyland while we are out there... the question is - how many days at Disneyland are sufficient?

We would split our flights... Boston to SanFran then LAX to Boston on the way home... Any ideas? Advice? Insight? TIA!!
- Dad 40 - Mom 37 -DS15 -DS11 - DS7
Grendalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Jilligan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrose View Post
On Orbitz and Cheaptickets you can buy 3-day park hoppers and get an extra day free. So, you are essentially getting 4-day park hoppers for the price of the 3-day. ALSO, if you go through Ebates and click through to Cheaptickets then you can get an additional 6.88% cash back (but you have to wait 3 months to get your check). Orbitz cash back is only 3% with Ebates. Or, if you have a Discover card then you can go through their shopping portal for 5% cash back with Orbitz. I recently purchased my park hoppers with Ebates/Cheaptickets and will be getting $53 cash back. Also, the email confirmation you receive is a voucher, not the actual tickets. You must take the voucher to the ticket booth with ID to get your tickets. I did this in February and had no problems whatsoever. Have a great trip!
Wow! Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely check that out!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
algae
Mouseketeer

I'd definitely go on the 28th when you arrive.

I suggest you check out the park operating hours on those days. It looks like the park closes fairly early those days.

But, it does look like getting 4 single-park passes would be the way to go. Then use them in this order DL, DCA, DL, and DCA to maximize your park time.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
dmcdixie
Earning My Ears

I think it also matters where you are staying, Disney might close early that night for MHP. Are you staying at DLR? if so it could be super fun to swim in the pools. go buy autograph books, and walk all of DTD. And then purchase 3 day non park hoppers and save even more money!

Just a thought! Have a great time!
dmcdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
Jilligan
Earning My Ears

We are staying at the Park Vue Inn, which I think is just across the street. I like the plan of DL, DCA, DL, DCA; my only thought is our last day is actually Halloween and I'm wondering if DL will have a more Halloween-y feel than DCA. I thought I read somewhere that you can upgrade to a park hopper at any point if we change our mind; is this correct?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #12
lovebug33
DIS Veteran

For us, travel is exhausting with our kid. She needs the rest. So we would swim, check out downtown Disney, and have an early dinner and bed on our first night.
lovebug33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:09 PM   #13
MontanaMickey
Earning My Ears

I agree with algae, as far as the days I spend be in each park. Are you allowed to start in DCA and then go to DL with a non-hopper ticket to go to MHP? When we went we had hoppers, so I don's know. If you can that would be a great way to hop without a hopper pass. Also, DCA is open until midnight on Halloween where as DL is having another party, so I would ether spend the last day there, or upgrade to a hopper on the last day.
MontanaMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #14
Jilligan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMickey View Post
I agree with algae, as far as the days I spend be in each park. Are you allowed to start in DCA and then go to DL with a non-hopper ticket to go to MHP? When we went we had hoppers, so I don's know. If you can that would be a great way to hop without a hopper pass. Also, DCA is open until midnight on Halloween where as DL is having another party, so I would ether spend the last day there, or upgrade to a hopper on the last day.
Thanks and good to know about DCA being open late on the Friday night. I'm thinking we will just upgrade to a hopper on the last day. I honestly don't think we will take advantage of the hopper option on the other days. I kind of prefer the non pressure of being in one park at a time and not needing to rush between the parks.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:15 AM   #15
CassieF
Mouseketeer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the hopper option the same price for the duration of the ticket, so there would be no benefit in waiting until the last day to upgrade? You'd actually be missing out as you could have paid the same price and hopped all days.

For me, with those dates, I'd go with the hopper, especially since you can buy through orbitz and essentially get a free day. With MHP on 2 of the days you'll be there you'll miss out on time in DL if that's your DL day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: