Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 05:13 AM   #151
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm8 View Post
I'm game, I love your pictures too
Welcome Game one! Glad to have you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Well, I'm certainly hoping that there will be a post on my Cheating PTR that it has opened, considering that it was supposed to open in August. I know everything is delayed, but I was really bummed when it hit Sept 1 and the wall was still up. I will be there if not opening day, within days of opening day. I am so into Shabu Shabu that i am beside myself for this place to open. I suppose this is where we should meet since it will satisfy all dietary requirements, pesky vegetarian down to Large beef choice. I have no need to pay the extra for Kobe, since I really don't taste the difference!
I will look forward to your report on the Cheating PTR. Shabu Shabu sounds perfect from where I'm sitting right now.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:29 AM   #152
PrincessInOz
in

Back to the Drawing Board for some parts of this Trip

This week, we had some of DHís American family come to visit. It was really nice catching up with them and we had a great time chatting about our plans for next year.

During that conversation, it became pretty obvious to DH and I that we needed to put down what was important things for us to see and do on this holiday. And thatís exactly what we did.

Our list? It was short and sweet.
  • WDW DisMeet
  • Cars Land and DisMeet with franandaj in SoCal
  • Native American Indian experience
  • Fall foliage
  • Small towns
  • Outdoor experiences
  • National Parks

No issue with the first two on the list. I think they are locked in!

It's the rest of the list that was the issue. I think I have to concede that New York City does not really fit the rest of the list.

DHís family suggested that we consider heading towards Durango, Colorado; and if we are heading to this part of the world, they would want to try and meet up with us there.

So Iíve been doing some research.
Seems like late September might be a good time for the fall foliage there.

Lots of small towns and the Million Dollar Highway (550) looks like it might be worth a road trip for part of the way.

Iím also a sucker for small gauge railways and the Durango Silverton Steam Railway might be something that we would all enjoy.

Plus, lots of outdoor activities around the area AND the promise of San Juan National Forest right on the doorstep.

And it seems that there are Ute Indian experiences that we could consider doing in this part of the world; plus head back to Mesa Verde and the Four Corners area (DH and I were last here about 12 years ago).

It might be back to the drawing board for some of this trip itinerary.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #153
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Yeah, you're right, NYC probably not the best place for outdoorsy, small town, national park type experiences

I'm into outdoorsy, small town, national park type experiences too, and I think your new plans look awesome! Now I really want to stow away in your suitcase

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #154
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Not sure where DH's family lived, but there are tons of places in the US which meet a lot of those criteria, but Durango is probably as good as anywhere. Good luck replanning!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #155
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

When I think of Fall Foliage I think of New England, but you will get some good colors in Colorado to (Hey - it's right there in the name!), though not as varied - the red's of New England Maples are pretty unique. I would still pick Durango though - but I love the Rockies! Of course, we're a lot less likely to meet up with you in the Rockies.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:03 AM   #156
franandaj

Now that I see the location of Durango Colorado, it appears to be very far south in Colorado, would you drive there from So CaL? That would be quite a colorful drive, and quite enjoyable, however, might be more time than you are looking for.
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #157
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Yeah, you're right, NYC probably not the best place for outdoorsy, small town, national park type experiences

I'm into outdoorsy, small town, national park type experiences too, and I think your new plans look awesome! Now I really want to stow away in your suitcase
Part of me still would love to get to NYC. So I'm not totally shutting that door just yet. But yes, this part of Colorado looks like it might be a good place for DH and I to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
When I think of Fall Foliage I think of New England, but you will get some good colors in Colorado to (Hey - it's right there in the name!), though not as varied - the red's of New England Maples are pretty unique. I would still pick Durango though - but I love the Rockies! Of course, we're a lot less likely to meet up with you in the Rockies.
I do too. But the New England colours are traditionally later in October and we just won't be there in that time. Someday...I'm going to plan a trip just for New England fall.

Quote:
Not sure where DH's family lived, but there are tons of places in the US which meet a lot of those criteria, but Durango is probably as good as anywhere. Good luck replanning!
This branch of the family live in Texas. They have property near Durango, which is one of the reasons why we would consider heading that way.

And yes, lots of places in the US probably do meet the criteria but when I try to find Native Indian experiences in New England, I don't get many hits.

Quote:
Now that I see the location of Durango Colorado, it appears to be very far south in Colorado, would you drive there from So CaL? That would be quite a colorful drive, and quite enjoyable, however, might be more time than you are looking for.
I'm not sure about driving from So Cal to Durango. I think DH was thinking about flying closer and hiring a car to maximise time in the area.

If this is where we end up heading to, I'd like to head back to Sedona...I was pregnant with DS when we were last in the area and I've always said I would take DS there. I'd also like to go see Monument Valley properly. Take a ride in the valley....I'd like to horse ride there but I don't think that DS will want to do that. A jeep drive through might be more appropriate. It may be that we fly into Pheonix.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #158
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

If you're going to Durango, consider Mesa Verde NP. It's amazing! The Rockies do have fall foilage,mostly yellows with orange, definitely not New England, but beautiful. We were there for the elk rutting season, and that is amazing, too.

I am not sure that the Durango Silverton RR will be operating in the fall. We were there one Labor Day weekend, and it seemed like the town was closing up as far as major tourist season goes. We like to do the historic RRs that are around the country.

Bobbi

bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #159
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
If you're going to Durango, consider Mesa Verde NP. It's amazing! The Rockies do have fall foilage,mostly yellows with orange, definitely not New England, but beautiful. We were there for the elk rutting season, and that is amazing, too.

I am not sure that the Durango Silverton RR will be operating in the fall. We were there one Labor Day weekend, and it seemed like the town was closing up as far as major tourist season goes. We like to do the historic RRs that are around the country.

Bobbi
Thanks Bobbi.

Yes, if we head to this part of the world, DH and I want to go back to Mesa Verde. We were there in 2000, in winter, and it was snowing when we were driving up the hills. And there was no walking tour at that time of the year.

I'm going to have to look at the time of when that RR runs for next year. I know that there were select runnings in September this year. We'll just have to see how the timing goes.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:04 AM   #160
PrincessInOz
in

Johnathan Livingstone Seagull – A life lesson

3D life has been fairly pedestrian lately.

Not that I’m complaining….we all need these sorts of sedate walks in between the sprints that life does challenge us to from time to time.
However, whilst pedestrian, it really hasn’t been at a walking pace. Between work, home and activities, we’ve been pedestrianly running at flat chat.

So, it was with some relief that I managed to find a couple of hours this weekend to get out and about to keep my hand in with the photography thing.

I was really out to test a 9-stop Neutral Density filter that I acquired in the first part of the year and had yet to break it out of the packaging. For those interested, this filter acts like sunglasses for the camera…it cuts out the amount of light that can hit the sensor.

I headed to test this filter out on a water feature and after a couple of false starts; I ended up rather pleased with this effect. Again, for those interested….this daytime shot was taken with a 5 second shutter speed.

I was minding my own business when I realized that I had a flying visitor.

And in my life full of pedestrian sprints at full pelt, Johnathan Livingstone Seagull reminded me that sometimes, you need to enjoy the moment!

I learnt that when you feel like you have that sinking-under-the-water feeling….

…and life is just one heck of a water bubble closing in around you…

….just go with the flow.

Don’t forget to splash about whilst you’re at it,

You could find that you're actually able to rise above it all.

And rather like water off a duck’s …er…seagull’s back….

You might find that you. can. walk. on. water.

Or at the very least....learn to swim!

I was really glad to have been in the right place at the right time with the right tools for this set of shots!

Sometimes, opportunity just comes along when you least expect it.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #161
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Great pictures, what a way to relax , and great timing for getting in the bird action. Looks like you both got to relax. That filter did a great job. I can hardly believe we are almost only a year out. I am getting so excited to go back there. Just not the airplane ride!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #162
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

very nice shots. I am glad you got to enjoy it and share it with us!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:40 PM   #163
franandaj

Those were beautiful shots, but don't tell me you had the camera set on 5 second exposures...did it go off every 5 seconds?

Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #164
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Wonderful pics of Johnathan and very wise words we should all remember.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #165
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Great pictures, what a way to relax , and great timing for getting in the bird action. Looks like you both got to relax. That filter did a great job. I can hardly believe we are almost only a year out. I am getting so excited to go back there. Just not the airplane ride!
I know. When we were first talking about this trip, it was almost at the 2 year mark. Can you believe that we're now at the 13 month stage?

Just remember...you can always hang on to that cow pole of yours when in the airplane if you need to hold on to something.
(You'll be fine in that plane!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
very nice shots. I am glad you got to enjoy it and share it with us!
Thanks Brandi.

Quote:
Those were beautiful shots, but don't tell me you had the camera set on 5 second exposures...did it go off every 5 seconds?
I wondered if someone would pick me up on this.

I had the camera on the 5 sec exposure for the first shot. When that bird came along, I had to whip that ND filter off and change all the settings as quickly as I could. I kept wondering if JLS would fly away because of the ...er...noise and language I was using.

And did I mention that the water feature is located in the grounds of St Patrick's Cathedral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Wonderful pics of Johnathan and very wise words we should all remember.
Thanks Angela.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: