Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Disney Royal Family 5K - 2013

Ok, I am officially registered - no backing out now!
I did the 5K at Marathon weekend this year, as well as Expedition Everest.
I do wish the course for this would go through the Magic Kingdom so that we could run through the castle too!

Who else is doing this with me in 2013?
GaRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

The original W&D 5k did run through MK. I think the issue for the Mouse is that to get the miles for a 5 k, World Dr in front of Contemporary must be fully closed. That creates lots of guest issues.

The AK and Epcot courses do not require any street closures so those are the default courses on property. I believe the RF5K is an Epcot course again. It is still cool to circle the World Showcase with hundreds of other runners early in the morning

Have fun at the 5k.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Yup, I did the Family Fiesta 5K this past Marathon weekend. That was my first ever runDisney event and I had a great time. It was really cool to run through the World Showcase. I just wish that it would be a different course for this race - knowwhatImean?
I was thinking it would be hard to do, since the parking lot isn't connected at the Magic Kingdom, like it is at the other parks...
Old 07-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
bitohoney
DIS Veteran

DD19 and I are doing it! I'd rather do the 1/2 but it was hard enough to get DD to do the 5k with me. Actually, she really doesn't want to do it but registering her anyway because she will see how fun it is!

Tons of DL trips, CBR June 2005 (1st time at WDW), SoG May 2007, Disneyland December/January 2007/2008, Pop August 2008, AKL April 2009, GF April 2010, ASMovies Oct 2010, POFQ Dec 2011, Disneyland Hotel May/June 2012, BCV Feb 2013, BWV May 2014, POR May 2015
bitohoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitohoney View Post
DD19 and I are doing it! I'd rather do the 1/2 but it was hard enough to get DD to do the 5k with me. Actually, she really doesn't want to do it but registering her anyway because she will see how fun it is!
Oh, I hope she has a great time, since you are twisting her leg!!

I am wanting to see how many Disers are doing the 5K so that maybe we can have a meetup!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
MUDisneyCouple
Thank God for the DIS and all you helpful people!!!

Has there been any word on what the theme will be the for 5K? I'm hoping the royal family showcased will be Merida's family We are planning on doing this one with a stroller, so we can stop and meet all the princesses along the way.

We did the EE 5K this past year and boy was it hot! Our first Disney 5K was the Mickey's Halloween 5K and started at the TTC and ran around the castle back to TTC. We ran in front of the Contemorary and we all ran on that little sidewalk that goes under "water", it was a tight squeeze!
2003:Honeymoon-Wilderness Lodge; 2006:Spring Break-All Star Sports; 2007:2nd Honeymoon-Polynesian & DCL; 2007:1st Trip to DLR via Vegas; 2008:Badly needed trip to the World-Wilderness Lodge; 2008:1st Christmas Trip-Contemporary; 2009:What aren't we celebrating?!?!-Saratoga Springs; 2010:Alice's 1st Trip to WDW-Bay Lake Tower; 2011:Alice's 1st Trip to DLR-Grand Californian; 2012:Parents Getaway-Animal Kingdom Lodge; 2012 :Are we nuts? Yep!-Ft. Wilderness; 2012:Alice's 1st Christmas at WDW-Bay Lake Tower; 2013:Summer Fun-The Boardwalk; 2013:10th Anniversary Wine and Dine-Old Key West; 2014: Summer Wilderness Adventure-Wilderness Lodge Villas
MUDisneyCouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #7
GaRain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDisneyCouple View Post
Has there been any word on what the theme will be the for 5K? I'm hoping the royal family showcased will be Merida's family We are planning on doing this one with a stroller, so we can stop and meet all the princesses along the way.

We did the EE 5K this past year and boy was it hot! Our first Disney 5K was the Mickey's Halloween 5K and started at the TTC and ran around the castle back to TTC. We ran in front of the Contemorary and we all ran on that little sidewalk that goes under "water", it was a tight squeeze!
I have not seen anything about the theme - but Brave would be cute!
I also did EE 5K this year and it was more than hot. Bad thing was, so was the water and gatorade - yuck!!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
DisneyParrothead
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDisneyCouple View Post

I saw it's a Royal Mickey and Minnie theme, and of course now I can't find the link where I read it. It could very well have been on runDisney's Twitter.

Disney Princess half marathon 2012

MetroPCS Dallas half marathon 2012

Eugene half marathon 2013

WDW Half Marathon 2014

http://inlesleyscorner.blogspot.com/
DisneyParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
NewfieMom
Mouseketeer

For those of you who have done other 5k's attached to bigger races, what are the crowds like? And what is the transportation situation? I want to register for Haunted Halloween 5K the morning of the Tower of Terror race, but it's also our check out day. If the race starts at 7, what time would it be over? And how difficult would be to get a taxi back and forth to CSR, which of course is not a host resort

Thanks!

- I've been boo'ed!!
NewfieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
welches
Earning My Ears

Anyone have any idea how close this race and the kids races are to being full? My family and I are hoping to participate in these. We aren't staying on site which may be a mistake but we are staying at Bonnett Creek. We won't be booking our room until November/December due to it being a timeshare. I would love to do this as my first half marathon but i'm not quite to that point yet. Maybe next year. This will be the visit to WDW for my two girls, one who will have just turned 4 and the other who will be close to 2 years old.
welches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
GaRain
DIS Veteran

The 5K and Kids Races are not full yet. I think you have time to get registered.
http://www.rundisney.com/princess-half-marathon/
Go to rundisney for more information.

You are ok with "staying offsite" if you plan to drive your car to the race. It should not be an issue. The crowds can get large the morning of the race, so give yourself plenty of time.
HAVE FUN!!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
welches
Earning My Ears

thanks! I am hoping my girls, especially my oldest will enjoy it. She loves Disney Princesses and loves to run so I hope its a double hit with her.
welches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #13
Licorice1
Earning My Ears

We ran the Royal Tangled 5K last year and it was a blast! This year we are so excited that it is going to be a Mickey and Minnie theme. Both my DH and my DD 13 said it was the highlight of the trip.
Licorice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
GaRain
DIS Veteran

I had not noticed this event before when I registered....They are now having a Disney's Princess Half Marathon Weekend Breakfast. It is described as a re-fuel after the Royal Family 5K. Starts at 7:15am, the race officially begins at 6:30. Depending on what corral I am in to start, I doubt I will be anywhere near the finish line at this time.

Has anyone else done this - have they offered this before?
Just wondering if it would be worth it - not doing the Pasta in the Park Party for this one....
Old 12-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
caitie86
Earning My Ears

This will be my first time running a 5k and am so excited to start off with the Disney Royal 5K. Do people dress up for this one? If so, as what? princesses, characters, etc? I really want to come as a character but not sure.....

- best running partner, Marley

caitie86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: