Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
Luvscrappin
Mouseketeer

I went and saw Brave with my DD (21) last night. Ironically, we had a big fight earlier in the evening Before going I had no idea what it was going to be about...how ironic?! I really enjoyed it! I am soooo ready for our trip to the world in just 3 weeks! Our plan is to watch a Disney movie every other night....to get in the spirit! ( not that we need any help with that, LOL)

I loved Merida's red locks and blue eyes, the accents and the setting. I never felt like the plot was lacking...sometimes I just want to watch, enjoy , and feel happy.

Luvscrappin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
IadoreWDW
But why is the rum gone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::danielle:: View Post
The Stonehenge-esque location seems like just another neat backdrop but is implied to be a mystical, magical place. Why couldn't they develop the significance of that location a bit more?
FYI Stonehenge is in England. Brave is set in Scotland. The Callanish Standing Stones on the Isle of Lewis were the inspiration for this film. Please don't confuse the two. They have very different stories.

Not being a Debbie downer but as a scot who has roots from the Isle of Lewis it is something close to my heart and it irks me when people confuse the two.

WDW AsMu '97WDW AsMo '99WDW offsite '04WDW offsite '08 WDW offsite '10
WDW offsite '12

faithtrust&pixiedust
adreamisawishyourheartmakes

IadoreWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
GenevieveRaqs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IadoreWDW View Post
FYI Stonehenge is in England. Brave is set in Scotland. The Callanish Standing Stones on the Isle of Lewis were the inspiration for this film. Please don't confuse the two. They have very different stories.

Not being a Debbie downer but as a scot who has roots from the Isle of Lewis it is something close to my heart and it irks me when people confuse the two.
To be fair, she did say Stonehenge-esque, realizing it was not, in fact, Stonehenge itself.
GenevieveRaqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #19
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyNY View Post
So we watched the movie.
Cute, very cute but honestly it felt like it is not complete. Plot was not deep enough and I kept thinking when adventure will start already.
The way they presented movie makes you feel like something huge, but it is just domestic problems between mother and daughter, nothing else.
Did we enjoy it, yes, but once is enough. it is not kind of movie I would watch again unless there is nothing else on TV.
One good thing about it, we got new princess in parks, who is absolutely adorable with all the hair and cute accent.
I felt the same way. I liked the movie but I felt somewhat disappointed afterward.

Going in I was asking my wife where Brave would ranks among Pixar films. We guesstimated around #3. It wasn't a bad guesstimate:

1. The Incredibles
2. Finding Nemo
3. Toy Story
4. Brave

This is just my personal list, I love most of the Pixar movies. However, my list changes occasionally. Brave is up there now but it may fall lower eventually. I thought it was going to compete with The Incredibles but no chance.

Anyway, my kids loved it. My wife thought it was great. And I, thought it was pretty good. I have to admit, the girl's hair was the best!

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #20
::danielle::
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Fortunately, I did know it was not Stonehenge but I did not know it was a real place call the Callanish Standing Stones. Thank you for passing that information along. Now I can look it up and completely impress my kids with how much I seem to know about everything. Sadly, the day will come when they realize that it is not I but the Wonderful Wizard of Wiki who is the all-knowing one.

"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, dreams are forever." ~Walt Disney.

Disneyland 2009 (Candy Cane Inn)

Disney World March 2-11 2012 (POP, WBC, POR split stay)

Disney World Dec 14-21 (BLT)
::danielle:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #21
KellyNY
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Considering not everyone even know the difference it would be nice if they said something, maybe some legend, story.

DESPERADOS, AND LOVING IT !!!

HO HO HO
KellyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #22
mrjef
Mouseketeer

I thought that this movie was okay, but did not live up to expectations. I agree with everything that is being said about a strong princess character. I have three daughters of my own and want them to understand that they are capable of anything they set their mind on achieving. With that said, why did Disney/Pixar have to completely bash men to get this point across? I also have two sons and there was not one male character to look up to in Brave. Merida’s dad was portrayed as a moron that could not make a good decision to save his life. Now, I agree that our wives will often keep us out of trouble and correct some of our poor decisions, but we (men) are capable of being responsible and making good decisions. Merida’s triplet brothers were completely out of control and seemed to not respect authority at all nor did anyone try and get them to follow authority. The suitors for Merida and their fathers were wimps, vain, and idiots. All that to say that I hope Disney/Pixar will continue to develop strong princesses but at the same time not demoralize every male character for our boys. I do not want my sons to just assume that they can grow up to be idiots who don’t have to respect authority and can just shirk responsibility. This was not the worst move, but I hope it does not become the norm for Disney/Pixar.

As far as Brave being Pixar’s 4th best film, I would struggle to rank it that high. I would have to put all of the following above Brave: Toy Story (all of them), Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Cars, Monsters, Inc., and Up. I have not seen Wall E or A Bug’s Life, so I am not sure how they compare to Brave. I don’t know in what order I would rank Brave, Ratatouille, and Cars 2. So at best, I would rank Brave ninth of all the Disney/Pixar movies.
mrjef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
Albytaps
Mickey's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjef View Post
I thought that this movie was okay, but did not live up to expectations.
You could have left it at that. I think the rest is looking too much into it.

WE LOVE DISNEY

Me DW DD DD DD DD

Albytaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #24
RustManFan
devoted to all things Disney!!

DISboards Moderator

been to Callanish Standing Stones and also many other standing stones in Scotland. The inspirations from that site and Scotland lochs, munros etc. were presented brilliantly!!

Offsite - 1987 - 1st Trip - Wilson World
CBR - 1989, 1995
FW (tent) - 1992 during Hurricane Andrew, 1997
Dixie Landings/POR - 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2009
Wilderness Lodge - 1996
DL - 2013 - Good Neighbor hotel

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/o...isney%20Stuff/
*** and eternal Rusty Wallace fan ! He is the RustMan ! ***
RustManFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
RustManFan
devoted to all things Disney!!

DISboards Moderator

Considering the times in which she lived, Merida was VERY brave to stick to her guns and decide her own fate. Not what would be expected of a young girl centuries ago. There was no need for her to win a war to prove her courage! Men in those times did as they pleased. Woman (and girls) did as they were told. More or less sold off to the highest bidder. 50 year old women married to 8 year olds for the sake of power and family honor. Babies and toddlers betrothed to each other. (history is my passion)

Brave to me is an appropriate title!

Offsite - 1987 - 1st Trip - Wilson World
CBR - 1989, 1995
FW (tent) - 1992 during Hurricane Andrew, 1997
Dixie Landings/POR - 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2009
Wilderness Lodge - 1996
DL - 2013 - Good Neighbor hotel

http://s387.photobucket.com/albums/o...isney%20Stuff/
*** and eternal Rusty Wallace fan ! He is the RustMan ! ***
RustManFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
Orreed
Olivia

I was pleasantly surprised with this movie, I loved it! While the plot could gone more in depth I never felt bugged that it did not. I also loved that a Disney princesses finally had curly hair. It was an awesome movie!
Orreed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #27
Travelingdad
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=GenevieveRaqs;45469752]The ultimate goal of every single princess movie, up to this point, has been to get the guy. It is the first time we see a real relationship--with flaws and all--between a princess and her mother. It's the first time a princess's assets are tied to something besides her beauty. It's the first time the goal is not just to get married.

QUOTE]

I haven't seen it, wife and kids have and they all liked it. I will say I agree with above. When first saw commercial I wanted my girls to see it so they could see a good and strong girl role model that wasn't just beign led around by a boy. I like the regular cast of princesses for my girls but nice to have some be less about romance and more about self confidence and reliance.

Travelingdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #28
ocalla
DIS Veteran

We finally decided to see the movie this past weekend (DH, myself and DD15) and we LOVED it. The animation was amazing - her hair looked like I could reach out and touch it!! And as for the music.....it was beautiful. I just LOVED to hear Merida speak.
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie

ocalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:42 PM   #29
nerdydisneygirl90
Earning My Ears

I went and saw this movie by myself(had no one to go with). I enjoyed it a lot. I enjoyed the story and the characters. I loved all of Merida's family.
nerdydisneygirl90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #30
elaine amj
DIS Veteran

Just took DD to see it tonight on a mother-daughter date for her bday. It was neat and I enjoyed it. Didn't fall in love with it though.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: