Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #76
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbootbunny
Still have not touched my list - and it is killing me! but I will get that massage yet.
the big problem is I have bought all this stuff I needed but my to do list is in the same spreadsheet file as the packing list so I can't cross anything off and I can't remember what else I still have to pick up arrrgh!
Oh no, no, no! You MUST have a separate list so you can cross things off when you buy them! ; ).

I just took care of most of my shopping list yesterday. I hand-write my shopping and to-do lists in a journal so I can take it with me everywhere. I've got kids, so I never know when I'll have time to pop over to Target.

I just bought some Disney gift cards at Target to get the 5% discount. Our target only has $50 cards. Does anyone know if other Targets have other amounts?
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 AM   #77
JOANNEL
DVC MEMBER 6/02
I haven't laughed that hard in ages

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyDream2B View Post
May I have the name of the travel planning app (via PM)?
Me too please!!!
JOANNEL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #78
DizDragonfly
Oooh oooh! Can we take a poll? I love a good poll! Errrr wait, that doesn't sound right ....
I'm just glad I'm not being stalked by the TagFairy. That could be embarrassing!

Can we just post the name of the app here? There are whole threads on the DIS devoted to apps.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #79
LunaCup
1 cruise away from Gold Castaway Club Membership!

Ocvpd

I also suffer (aka get enjoyment) from OCVPD- Obsessive Compulisve Vacation Planning Disorder. I love making lists and adding things just to cross them off. I actually joined DISboards just to help me plan with my upcoming cruise.

My main thing is knowing prices so I can be on a reasonable budget on vacation and not worry about money without going overboard. All the planning I do ahead of time is to enjoy myself while on vacation. Not only that but planning gets me more excited for vacation.

When my friends and I go on trips I am the one to plan our itinerary for each day so we don't miss anything or show up somewhere like a museum that is closed on Mondays. I know all admission prices and give myself a budget for food and shopping. This makes me feel better knowing we won't miss anything and I won't have to stress when I get home about spending too much.

With all of that being said I actually LOVE surprises! I can't wait to get on the Dream for the first time next month and explore the boat. This is my way of having my cake (planning) and eating it too (surprises).

DCL:
Disney Magic Aug. '08 7 night
Disney Wonder Mar. '07 4 night
Disney Wonder May '07 3 night
Disney Wonder Sept. '08 3 night
LunaCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #80
Goaliemom30
Mouseketeer

Overplanning greatly appreciated by 10 yr old

Just wanted to say as a fellow sufferer, there was a program about cruising on CNBC last night and part of it showed all of the people standing in line trying to book excursions as the ship pulled up to port. My 10 yr old son says, "look at those people in line Mom, we never have to stand in those kinds of lines, cuz you plan it all. " I love that boy!
Goaliemom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #81
sparklechicks
It's all about the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemom30 View Post
Just wanted to say as a fellow sufferer, there was a program about cruising on CNBC last night and part of it showed all of the people standing in line trying to book excursions as the ship pulled up to port. My 10 yr old son says, "look at those people in line Mom, we never have to stand in those kinds of lines, cuz you plan it all. " I love that boy!

So cute!

My DH and kiddies get a breakdown of our daily activities on the plane ride down.. my DH isnt so much into the planning like I am but he sure appreciates it.

MNSSHP/Beach Club Sept 2011
Boardwalk/Disney Fantasy Western June 23, 2012
Disney Dream NYE Dec 28, 2012
Aulani Resort July 12, 2013
MNSSHP/Disney Fantasy Eastern October 19, 2013
proud DVC Member at BWV ....Everything is better with a Disney trip planned b/c It's Just Magical

sparklechicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #82
Conorama
Mouseketeer

Seeing as we usually travel to warm places in January/February (I live in Canada), I have learned to buy end-of-season summer clothes for my son in the next size up in July, because, well, finding shorts and swim trunks in January up here is just about impossible...

I recently figured out I could just pack that stuff into a suitcase we don't use often, so it's all in one place when I go to "officially" pack (which starts 1 month ahead ... the advantage to living where there is a very cold winter - I can pack most of our holiday stuff well in advance since we won't be needing it here!)

At this point, people start looking at me strangely.

Of course, I have to make lists of what I've bought too. There is, of course, nothing wrong with that.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #83
Spokavegas
DVC Member.....always counting down to a Disney destination!

PurdueMouse-

The Princess of Overplanning is my tag too!!! I joined in 07 and it's been in my sig ever since! My friends used to call me the "POP." Now I do it for everyone as a job and love it!

We leave on Monday on the Wonder to Alaska.....and I love some of your ideas, fellow DISers! My fave is the WDW booklets in the lanyards- yes yes YES!!! Why haven't I thought of that? I pour over the boards for months pre-cruise or WDW/DL trip bc it's like I'm already there!! By the time we get onboard, it's almost sad- because I know it's nearly over...! I think a TR may be in order this time so I can continue to relive each moment!

My biggest planning issue is bringing too much STUFF so I don't have to buy onboard. And as we use things up- it makes room for souvenirs!! Bottled water, snacks, surprises for the kids, alcohol, mixers (Crystal Light packets), bottles of wine for the room, laundry hamper/detergent, shoe holder for toiletries, nightlight for bathroom, small flashlight for bedside, every med you could think of.......most of it (aside from hamper & meds) gets left behind or used up!

We are also always one of the first families onboard so that my kids can have the Mickey pool all to themselves! Those crazy people outside in line at 9am...? Yep, that's us. Scored ourselves a Concierge suite last year that way!!

Keep the ideas coming- this is such a GREAT thread!
AKL 5/ 05 - Grand Californian 6/06 - Disneyland Hotel 4/07 - Poly Resort 2/08 - Disney Wonder Bahamas 2/08 (joined DVC!) - Saratoga Springs 5/08 - AKL Grand Villa 2/09 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean 1/11 - AKL Kidani Village 1/11 - Grand Californian 2/12 - Disney Wonder Alaska 7/12 - Bay Lake Tower/Contemporary/AKL- OTN Summit and Food & Wine Festival 11/12 - Disney Magic Caribbean 2/13 - DL Grand Californian 11/13 - AULANI 8/14!!

Spokavegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #84
rubberbootbunny
Mouseketeer

I love the summer in a suitcase idea, stealing that one!
I leave for my cruise in about 40 days and I now have everything bought, I think. unless I think of something else or my girl out grows something else

FE is done andmost of my "bits" that I won't need untill then are in the box. I am pretty much free and clear for the next 35 days when I will start the final push()

SOoo excited. and my DD still doesn't know we are going so I have to get everything tucked away before she comes home from her dads later on. Here's hoping I dont forget somthing and she finds it

rubberbootbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #85
Bookwood
DIS Veteran

I don't know if it's planning or organization but I'm old school- I keep a ring binder with sleeves for any vacation trip (usually any trip over 2 nights). With hard copies of flights, hotels, transportation, dining, and anything else I need in the sleeves. The extra sleeves are great for holding navigators/resort maps or other "vacation paper" I may want to keep.

Pam and DH Mike Wondering our way to Hawaii 10/14/2012

Pam and DH Mike (Retiring) through the Canal again 05/2015
Bookwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #86
rubberbootbunny
Mouseketeer

Well, my FE gifts are done, My FE made and I am cruising along on getting my packing organized. I think the only thing I still need to buy is a HD magnet for the door, I am hearing rumours that rm 6686 on the fantasy doesn't have a fish hook so I figure I better get a magnet just in case. I just thought I would let you see my bar graph on how I am coming. What can I say, graphs make me happy!

rubberbootbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #87
Dreamscome2ru
Mouseketeer

I love the graph! I don't go that far but I certainly understand how great it makes you feel. My pre-planning tips are as follows:

1. Ziplocks - I categorize everything (except clothing) and "pre-pack" in big ziplocks. I have one for our FE gifts, FE, secure tie and FE list, one for "just in case" things like aloe gel and pepto bismal (that one stays stored in the suitcase under the bed), One for kids activities, one for shower products, etc. You can see what is in them easily and then the day before, you pack them all in quickly. If you think you forgot something, it is easy to check without scavenging through your whole suitcase. We re-use them on vaca to keep snacks dry and critter free and then for the last wet bathing suit trip home.
2. One clear folder with all travel documents, boarding pass, reservation confirms, etc. in order by need (i.e. boarding pass 1st, hotel ressie 2nd, embark docs and passport 3rd, etc). My phone is replacing most of that now, but I still like the folder so I can check and recheck that I have everything set up before we go.
3. I have a little notebook that I start when I book the trip. It has one page for questions to ask, one for things I want to remember to do on board (I add to it as I read them here), one page for things I need to buy close to the trip (sunblock, prescriptions), one page for to-dos like hold mail and notify neighbors and one with all the details that I need to reference (date of sailing and return, room #, ressie #)

A little obsessive, yes, but every time I open that notebook, I get excited for vacation!
Dreamscome2ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #88
daizieduck
DIS Veteran

Yesterday at work I printed out my Excel spreadsheet with all our dinner ressies and the park ours. I forgot to grab it from the printer and one of my bosses got it first And handed it to me. I was a little embarrassed but he and his family love Disney quite a bit too so if anyone at my job understands, it's him, lol!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #89
Ptwolfman
Mouseketeer from CA

I love this. I too need to be part of OPA.

I keep all vacation related email in their own mail folder. This includes confirmations and reservations
I start planning way too early
I have lots of lists. Things to buy. Things to pack. Things to do
Like a clean house to come home to
Make sure our calendar is clear for a few days before and after travel
Put addresses of destinations into my GPS ahead of time
Figure out where to stop for gas if needed
Try to pack early but that doesn't always work as DW usually removes things from the suitcase to wear so she ends up doing last minute laundry
Pack all essential toiletries together & leave them packed after returning

That's all I can think of for now. We've both jumped out of bed to write down things to do, pack or buy & I can't sleep if I don't do this
Ptwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #90
queenofeverything
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamscome2ru View Post
I love the graph! I don't go that far but I certainly understand how great it makes you feel. My pre-planning tips are as follows:

1. Ziplocks - I categorize everything (except clothing) and "pre-pack" in big ziplocks. I have one for our FE gifts, FE, secure tie and FE list, one for "just in case" things like aloe gel and pepto bismal (that one stays stored in the suitcase under the bed), One for kids activities, one for shower products, etc. You can see what is in them easily and then the day before, you pack them all in quickly. If you think you forgot something, it is easy to check without scavenging through your whole suitcase. We re-use them on vaca to keep snacks dry and critter free and then for the last wet bathing suit trip home.
2. One clear folder with all travel documents, boarding pass, reservation confirms, etc. in order by need (i.e. boarding pass 1st, hotel ressie 2nd, embark docs and passport 3rd, etc). My phone is replacing most of that now, but I still like the folder so I can check and recheck that I have everything set up before we go.
3. I have a little notebook that I start when I book the trip. It has one page for questions to ask, one for things I want to remember to do on board (I add to it as I read them here), one page for things I need to buy close to the trip (sunblock, prescriptions), one page for to-dos like hold mail and notify neighbors and one with all the details that I need to reference (date of sailing and return, room #, ressie #)

A little obsessive, yes, but every time I open that notebook, I get excited for vacation!
OH MY GOSH, YOU MUST BE MY LONG LOST TWIN!!!! I cracked up when I read your post. I do exactly the same things and the document folder is my favorite (yes, I also label them and put them in order) I read your post to my husband and said "see, it's not just me!!"
queenofeverything is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hummor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: