Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #31
Purdue Mouse
Mouseketeer

Hi, my name is __________
It's been 2 years since my last cruise. On my honor, or I may be forced to go on a last minute trip! (borrowed from Nemo

I do extensive research when I go to a city or any vacation spot. I'm going to Seattle in 10 days for our Alaskan cruise. I researched all public transportation. I've already planned our routes down to the times, transfers and how to pay. I know what the admission costs are for all tourist spots.

I keep a spread sheet/time sheet with all reservation numbers, phone numbers, addresses and fees.

I scan all of our passports travel docs and put it on a jump drive and give it to a trusted friend or relative. I make sure I have all credit card phone numbers in our phones in case of theft so I can act quickly to stop a card.

Planning is a fun challenge for me. The Princess of Overplanning

Wonder Alaska 7/23/2012
Dream 2/10/2011
Pop Century 12/27/03
Royal Carribean 2002 Phi Kappa Theta Reunion Cruise.
WDW Boardwalk Inn 10/16/01
Purdue Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #32
wendydarling78
She's a Darling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue Mouse View Post
Hi, my name is __________
It's been 2 years since my last cruise. On my honor, or I may be forced to go on a last minute trip! (borrowed from Nemo

I do extensive research when I go to a city or any vacation spot. I'm going to Seattle in 10 days for our Alaskan cruise. I researched all public transportation. I've already planned our routes down to the times, transfers and how to pay. I know what the admission costs are for all tourist spots.

I keep a spread sheet/time sheet with all reservation numbers, phone numbers, addresses and fees.

I scan all of our passports travel docs and put it on a jump drive and give it to a trusted friend or relative. I make sure I have all credit card phone numbers in our phones in case of theft so I can act quickly to stop a card.

Planning is a fun challenge for me. The Princess of Overplanning

All good ideas! I especially like putting your credit card phone numbers in your cell in case of theft! I am totally stealing that idea! Thank you!

Wendy
My grandparents lived in Deland, FL, so we visited them and spent around 3 days at WDW EVERY summer when I was younger. My sister and I totally thought that every kid went to WDW every year! LOL! RCCL Caribbean cruise- 1997, RCCL Caribbean Honeymoon cruise- 2000, HAL Hawaiian Christmas/New Year's cruise- 2001-2002,WDW (Coronado Springs)- 2003, HAL Caribbean cruise 2004, Sesame Place- 2008, WDW (Fort Wilderness campgrounds)- 2009, WDW Halloween trip- 2010, Carnival cruise- 2012, DCL Magic Caribbean cruise- 2012
wendydarling78 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #33
DisneyFanette
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendydarling78 View Post
All good ideas! I especially like putting your credit card phone numbers in your cell in case of theft! I am totally stealing that idea! Thank you!

Wendy
Great idea with the cc numbers
DisneyFanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:43 AM   #34
rubberbootbunny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue Mouse View Post
The Princess of Overplanning

Purdue Mouse, you were actually part of the inspiration for this thread

I just love the princess of over planning label and it got me thinking thanks

rubberbootbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:24 AM   #35
dchris
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4crusing View Post
For WDW I make a spreadsheet with the days of the week, the park to visit each day, park hours, extra magic hours, shows, parades, closed attractions, rides to go on and in what order, snacks, CS/TS meals and where to get them all listed in order by area of the park.
I do the same exact thing!
I have to because I am from the Netherlands and have to plan because our time is limited, read 10 days
We are also cruising on the Fantasy the week before, and I only plan the dinner's, palo and remy and request a dinner rotation, and book excursions..that's it

My spreadsheet for WDW also contains park hours, EMH, show times, parades en the most important ADR times, reservation numbers and credits for the DDP. And I also highlight in color which show we are going to see that night, and which park to go to each day........just thinking about it makes me want to plan another trip haha because I love to do it!
I am now suffering from planographobia (fear of nothing left to plan)

Many people think i'm nuts but I like to know what I am doing because I don't want to miss a thing because I want to see everything!

Dennis

"I only hope that we never lose sight of one thing — that it was all started by a mouse." - Walt Disney

Disney Travels:
93' Disneyland paris - One day / 95' Disneyland paris - One day / 97' Disneyland paris - One day / 98' Disneyland paris - One day / 00' Disneyland paris - 2 days - Disneyland hotel / 04' Disneyland paris - 1 day hotel New york 1 Disneyland hotel castle club / 09' Disneyland paris - 3 days New Port Bay Hotel / 10' Disneyland paris - 3 days New Port Bay Hotel
/ 11' Walt Disney world - 12 days Port Orleans French Quarter and 3 days Grand Floridian
/ upcoming trip 12' Disney Fantasy Cruise and 10 days WDW at the Port Orleans French Quarter
dchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #36
KaryCam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative8 View Post
Guilty! Our cruise isn't until March, but I've been planning/researching/making lists since we booked in December!

Me too!
You know we are on the same cruise and what bugs me is that our B itinerary navigators won't come out until those cruises start in November.
I can't wait to look at them, hear reports back from those cruisers on what the dining rotations are, etc.

I too color-code my family calendar. I do though know what I am cooking each evening because I make up my weekly menu a week before.

On my computer I have a DCL folder and have different documents in it labeled, dining, ports, menus, packing, FE, etc. As I find info on this site and copy it over to a document. I also prepare a planner to take with me so I don't forget things.
2013 Spring Break Cruise - East Caribbean (San Juan) - Fantasy
2011 Christmas Cruise - West Caribbean - Magic
KaryCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #37
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club ~ My driveway to WDW = 1 hour!

Location: Tampa, FL resident since 2007 (formally from Lorain & Columbus O-H-I-O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue
I also do our laundry up the day before we come home, so everything is clean in the suitcases and this way, we can just put it all away when we arrive back at home
THANK YOU!!!

People think I'm bonkers for doing this, too. When I get home (albeit its just a 2-hr drive to Tampa from PC), I don't want to do laundry. None. It's so worth it to me to spend the money in the ship to do the laundry & just come home & put everything away. (No, it doesn't take long to do this at all & I've never ever felt like I'm spending minutes away from my vacation.)

At home, I love coming home to a spotless house (as spotless as it can be with our cats still being there), an empty dishwasher, an empty & CLEAN fridge.....the list goes on!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder

Last edited by Silverfox97; 07-13-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #38
mare141
Keep Moving Forward

LISTs are my big thing, and for longer trips, I like to have all my hotels pre-booked out…no stopping in the middle of no-where in a roach motel (nothing wrong with that, but we did it the 1st few years of being married and now that we have a 5 year old, the standards moved up a wee bit…to holiday inn.) All transportation/flights and kennels pre-booked months in advance with insurance (in case he deploys). I normally (depending on length and driving miles) have a travel binder that has ALL trip information including hard copies of driving directions, important information, hotel info, geocaching stops (goal is one every hour, but we usually can’t find them anyway, but it’s the stop that’s important), and must see/stop info.

You should have seen us when we moved….the drive down from New Mexico to Washington DC in 2 cars one towing a boat, 3 humans, 2 dogs, 2 small birds, 1 ticked off cat and a cactus!!! (Oddly the cactus is the one that saved my life while driving…the blood hound decided she REALLY wanted to sit in my lap while I was in the middle of some stressful traffic while we were driving through one of the larger cities. The only thing that stopped the dog from ending up in the front and us in an accident was that cactus.) I had 4 months to plan that mil. move out and it was interesting!

Oh yeah and the house HAS TO BE CLEAN…I want to come back to a clean, stress free house.

Past Cruises/Trips:
Sept 24 2011 Magic Cruise
Sept 21-23 2011 Animal Kingdom/Disney World

Next Up: Sept 22 2012...Fantasy!

mare141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #39
wishuponastarforever
I just love coming here and visiting with you

I clean the house before leaving but above all clean sheets. The stark reality is no one will be changing those sheets but me when we get home.

Always planning for the next trip
wishuponastarforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #40
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishuponastarforever
I clean the house before leaving but above all clean sheets. The stark reality is no one will be changing those sheets but me when we get home.
Wait, the room steward doesn't do that anymore when we get home? Major : (

I like to have clean clothes when we arrive home, too. It's one less thing to do!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #41
FloridaNative8
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaryCam View Post
Me too!
You know we are on the same cruise and what bugs me is that our B itinerary navigators won't come out until those cruises start in November.
I can't wait to look at them, hear reports back from those cruisers on what the dining rotations are, etc.

I too color-code my family calendar. I do though know what I am cooking each evening because I make up my weekly menu a week before.

On my computer I have a DCL folder and have different documents in it labeled, dining, ports, menus, packing, FE, etc. As I find info on this site and copy it over to a document. I also prepare a planner to take with me so I don't forget things.
I know!! I am dying to see the Navigators! Also to hear about the San Juan excursions!

I also plan our menu the week before, so I can be a good girl and get exactly what I need at the grocery store.

This thread makes me feel a bit better about being "plan-crazy"!!

And I can't wait to hear other great planning tips on here - I'm already making another list!

WDW - Too many visits to count!
AOA - Jan 2013 CBR - Nov 2013 POR - Jan 2014 POP - Feb 2014 YC - Jan 2015
Disney Fantasy - EC, March 2013
W&D Half - 2010, 2013
Donald Half - 2013
Minnie 10K - 2014
WDW Marathon - 2014
Glass Slipper Challenge - 2014
Goofy Challenge - 2015
FloridaNative8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #42
rubberbootbunny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishuponastarforever View Post
love this one! I'm going to do this now too!

rubberbootbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #43
Delrea
Mouseketeer

Add me to this list!

I call each resort where we are having a meal and ask for specific direction from the park we will be at that day and from our restortand the best way to get there, ferry, bus, etc. Then I type up the name, date, reservation # and directions. Then have them all turned into laminated luggage tags at the UPS store, each morning I put the new one for the day on the stroller that way if were running late we know exactly where to go and when.
Delrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #44
chateau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrea View Post
I call each resort where we are having a meal and ask for specific direction from the park we will be at that day and from our restortand the best way to get there, ferry, bus, etc. Then I type up the name, date, reservation # and directions. Then have them all turned into laminated luggage tags at the UPS store, each morning I put the new one for the day on the stroller that way if were running late we know exactly where to go and when.
This link may help you with that, and save you the phone call; therefore allowing you more time to plan!!http: I don't think it's allowed to post the link but it's ourlaughingplace then look under transportation at the top of the page... this gives you all possible routes and the time it takes for every means of transportation.

Last edited by chateau; 07-13-2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: dont think I can post a link
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM   #45
smmast
Welcomed Guest

I'm going to speak for all "over Planners" for a second and say that we are also under-appreciated, at least i am. Our vacations go off so smoothly, if i do say so myself, due to that planning, that no one else(in my travel group) seems to be aware of.
I use a travel planning app as well, not sure i am allowed to name it on the boards, but it's a must have for planners and i also use a sort "cloud" storage device where i have scanned our passports, park passes etc in case something should go awry.
Glad i'm not alone, gotta go plan now
smmast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hummor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: