Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #121
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post

Did a cheese tray find it's way into the wedding reception?
No cheese tray, but wow...you should have seen the spread they did have. It was a tapa style buffet.

Some of the items I chose were:

- Vietnamese Fresh Vegetable Spring Rolls Filled with Mango, Mint, Cilantro, and Toasted Coconut, Topped with Sweet and Sour Sauce and Sweet Sambal

- House Cured Coffee and Cumin Rubbed Pork Tenderloin with Shallot Mango Gastrique

- Citrus Poached Prawns with Caramelized Onion Marmalade (With no heads, DDW )

- Tuna Poke on a Crispy Wonton with Ponzu and Brunoise Carrot

- Prosciutto Wrapped Black Mission Fig Filled with Goat Cheese

- Arancini with Kalamata Olive and Port Salut

- Grilled New York Strip Satay with Blue Cheese Bacon Crème
Fraiche (Yay, I did get a little taste of blue cheese!)

- Brie and Cheddar Mac 'n Cheese with Edamame and Parmesan
Cracker (This was delicious! Maybe even better than the old Jiko mac 'n cheese )

- Baby Organic Spinach with Grilled Corn, Smoked Almonds, Red Onion Rings,
Fresh Strawberries and a Lime Poppy Seed Vinaigrette

I was about to snap a pic of my plate of food when my DH gave me very stern look and said, "This is NOT Disney World"!

But anyway, all of this delicious food and 4 hours of open bar made for a very enjoyable evening!

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan

Last edited by jabead; 07-29-2012 at 06:11 PM.
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:46 AM   #122
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
What a shame. Just kidding - I don't mind whether the heads are or aren't included (but if we make it to Jiko again and that dish is still on the menu, you'll certainly be hearing my thoughts on it).
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2012, 03:22 PM   #123
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

So glad I found your PTR. I enjoy your comments very much over on the Dining Board.

I've really enjoyed your "insider" pictures at Disneyland. We visited Disneyland for the first time in 2010 and fell in love with it. Can't wait to return someday, when our youngest will be more tolerant of a cross country flight.

Congratulations on booking first class flights. I flew first class to Mexico once, but was so tired I slept through the whole experience and missed all the perks other than a comfy seat.

Love your ADR list. I'm really hoping Biergarten makes the list.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #124
Lisa29
Mouseketeer

Your trip must be coming up real fast now.

Not been on in ages so had a lot to catch up. Love your siggy story, what an awesome experience.

Lisa29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #125
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
No cheese tray, but wow...you should have seen the spread they did have. It was a tapa style buffet.

Some of the items I chose were:

The ONLY way I eat these critters!!!!

- Prosciutto Wrapped Black Mission Fig Filled with Goat Cheese
I make a version of these for parties that I soooo good!

- Grilled New York Strip Satay with Blue Cheese Bacon Crème
Fraiche (Yay, I did get a little taste of blue cheese!)

This sounds fabulous!! Yum!

- Brie and Cheddar Mac 'n Cheese with Edamame and Parmesan
Cracker (This was delicious! Maybe even better than the old Jiko mac 'n cheese )

And this too!

I was about to snap a pic of my plate of food when my DH gave me very stern look and said, "This is NOT Disney World"!

But anyway, all of this delicious food and 4 hours of open bar made for a very enjoyable evening!
Sounds like a wonderful evening! (and not just because of the open bar.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldDoleWhip View Post
What a shame. Just kidding - I don't mind whether the heads are or aren't included (but if we make it to Jiko again and that dish is still on the menu, you'll certainly be hearing my thoughts on it).
You are so much trouble young man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Cheshire Cat View Post
So glad I found your PTR. I enjoy your comments very much over on the Dining Board.

I've really enjoyed your "insider" pictures at Disneyland. We visited Disneyland for the first time in 2010 and fell in love with it. Can't wait to return someday, when our youngest will be more tolerant of a cross country flight.

Congratulations on booking first class flights. I flew first class to Mexico once, but was so tired I slept through the whole experience and missed all the perks other than a comfy seat.

Love your ADR list. I'm really hoping Biergarten makes the list.
Hi Rachel! I'm glad you "found" me! You have quite a few Dis trips under your belt - you are truly a veteran!

With having been to D-land you have a great idea how the parks are similar and differt. Especially the castle!! People ask me which I prefer - D-land or WDW's MK - for me, MK is better even if there is no Matterhorn, Indy Jones ride, or monorail that goes through the park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa29 View Post
Your trip must be coming up real fast now.

Not been on in ages so had a lot to catch up. Love your siggy story, what an awesome experience.
Hi Lisa! Thanks for stopping by and reading my sig story. Yes, we have exactly 17 days and 9 hours!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #126
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Why not a TPV??

Exciting updates to share! Well, exciting for me at least.

I know some of you can relate but I just had to check to see if there was a TPV available for the BLT part of our split stay. I didn't find anything for the 8 nights but they did have a 2 bedroom TPV available for our last 5 nites. Soooooo..... I quickly did the math and justified the cost to upgrade and..... I booked it!

Since DH has not stayed on-property before I wanted to Wow him with the gorgeous views of the castle [and the parking lot!].... as well as the Seven Seas Lagoon (I love this equally as much as watching the monorails come and go) and the views of the GF and Poly from the room. We likely won't be in the room for any of the Wishes fireworks shows but that is also nice to watch from the balcony.

My ulterior motive to all of this is to suck DH into the wonder and magic of staying on property at one of my favorite resorts. Hopefully, we'll see some more trips in our future and not just girl trips. I'll let you know how that works out!

The down-side to changing rooms (a 3rd time if you include switching from BWV to BLT) is that we will obviously have to change rooms 3 nites into our stay. Because I am a "nester" who has to have everything put away and in it's place within an hour of the luggage arriving to our room, this means that I will have to do this TWICE!

Coincidently, after I booked the upgrade, I received a rebate check in the mail for our homeowners insurance! That was unexpected. The upgrade thing was just meant to be!!!

And this was also on my door step....

It wasn't as exciting as a check but it was my order of memory cards for my cameras!

And then today I received my extra ME luggage tags. Who else thinks that 1 tag per person is not enough??

And finally.... Em and I did some shopping over the weekend. Remember my obsession with discount retail clothing stores?? Well, this weekend we went to Forever 21 and bought a few things. You may just see some of these in photos of our upcoming trip.

I had one more sundress but Emily swiped it already. Nice mom that I am I said she could have it.

So there you have it. Extra luggage tags to put on the extra bags that will hold our cheapo discount clothing for which we will have our photos taken with the new memory cards while we pose on the balcony with the castle in the background of our TPV room!

17.25 days to go!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:48 AM   #127
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

I can feel your excitment!!

Good for you upgrading to TPV, "Disney Maths" always works out doesn't it

Love the new clothes by the way, be sure to post plenty of photos
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #128
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

I really only visit the dining reviews section so I keep forgetting to come over here to check out your PTR! I love that you have posted your vacation clothing (and glad to see that my DD and I aren't the only ones that will be getting special pedicures for our trip)! I work in HR in a store at the largest mall in North America and Forever 21 is literally right across the hall from me!! Darnit Brenda , I think I know what I'll be doing on my lunch break today Your new finds are so cute!
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #129
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
I can feel your excitment!!

Good for you upgrading to TPV, "Disney Maths" always works out doesn't it

Love the new clothes by the way, be sure to post plenty of photos
Thanks!!! And yes, I'm sure many photos will follow.

How's it around your part of the country with all the excitement of the Olympics? Any crazy traffic? When we hosted the summer games in 1984 they warned of epic traffic jams and such but I think many people just stayed home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
I really only visit the dining reviews section so I keep forgetting to come over here to check out your PTR! I love that you have posted your vacation clothing (and glad to see that my DD and I aren't the only ones that will be getting special pedicures for our trip)! I work in HR in a store at the largest mall in North America and Forever 21 is literally right across the hall from me!! Darnit Brenda , I think I know what I'll be doing on my lunch break today Your new finds are so cute!
Thanks for coming over from my favorite board - it IS all about the food, really.

Sorry that I'm not helping anyone else's compulsions for shopping! But heck if Forever 21 was right outside my office door I think that could be a problem!

Have a great day [shopping] or whatever you do.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #130
deenbrad
DIS Veteran

Your trip is coming up fast! How exciting!!
off-site many times 1989-2009 (including half of our honeymoon in 1996!), Pop Century May 2011
deenbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #131
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Yay for TPV! That is a dream of mine someday!

And an even bigger yay for 17 days! I am so excited for our trip I can't stand it and you will be there several days before we are! It is getting sooooooo close!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #132
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy

How's it around your part of the country with all the excitement of the Olympics? Any crazy traffic? When we hosted the summer games in 1984 they warned of epic traffic jams and such but I think many people just stayed home.
It's really strange in London at the moment, it's like everyone has left!
My drive into work each day is taking me half the time it usually does.
There were horror stories leading up the games, claiming that the whole of London would grind to a halt so I think all the locals have gone on vacation
I am loving having the Olympics in the UK though, I get so excited just seeing all the flags, banners and bunting ...... Yes I know I am sad
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:40 PM   #133
megan511
Mouseketeer

Love your shopping haul from Forever 21! Hmm I wonder if there is one near me...
Old 08-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #134
nanienamou
Mouseketeer

Your trip is fast approaching! That is so cool an upgrade to TPV. Hope your DH feels the magic!

I'm living the pre-trip shopping blitz too. It's cleareance time in the stores and everything is discounted, so I got many sundresses, two new pairs of Tevas, tops and Old navy shorts and capris. And I have a week-end shopping getaway with my girlfriends in Montreal next week, so DH is kinda scared for the credit card, lol! But we need to look good for our hubbies!
nanienamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #135
CatNipRules
Overplanner Extraordinaire....
I love them when they are raw
I got Mickey mail

Love all of your finds!! I'm not a shopper by nature, but whenever I get ready for a Disney trip the shopper comes out in me!! LOL!!

CatNipRules is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: