Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #676
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstrickland View Post
Hi there! Just looking at some of your yummy food pics!! I don't remember having the fruit tarts at CL when we were there....not fair! Of course the pic of your creme brule is my favorite!

I just realized that we are going to be traveling at the same time...you're leaving in 5 days for your cruise, and we'll be at WDW for our mini trip! Aren't you excited??

So, are you going to do an extension to this TR with your cruise stuff??

Heather
Hi

All the more reason to go back! I wasn't too crazy about the tart, it was on the bland side. I think mom really liked it though. Oh yeah, the creme brŻlťe was hers. She's like you, loves creme brŻlťe. Always has to try it wherever she goes. The one from France is on the top of her list right now.

I had no idea you were leaving so soon! You're going to love the new Fantasyland. Make sure you don't miss Tales with Belle. I didn't go and people say its really cool. I have three more work days so not really excited yet. It's a good thing though, I get so excited about trips I feel like one day I'll give myself a heart attack. I just love going on adventures!

I had really wanted to post all my pictures from OKW, but I'm not letting myself do anything until this one is finished. Im sure I'll take oodles of pictures so would be happy to share if anyone is interested

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #677
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Oh that'll be really nice. How fun you found such good friends on vacation.
When you meet people who enjoy doing the same things you do, it is lots of fun. We call them MOM and DAD, I am the age of their children. So it is kinda fun.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #678
dgbg100106

Quote:
I'm coming over!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 01-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #679
dgbg100106

Quote:
Hi

All the more reason to go back! I wasn't too crazy about the tart, it was on the bland side. I think mom really liked it though. Oh yeah, the creme brŻlťe was hers. She's like you, loves creme brŻlťe. Always has to try it wherever she goes. The one from France is on the top of her list right now.

I had no idea you were leaving so soon! You're going to love the new Fantasyland. Make sure you don't miss Tales with Belle. I didn't go and people say its really cool. I have three more work days so not really excited yet. It's a good thing though, I get so excited about trips I feel like one day I'll give myself a heart attack. I just love going on adventures!

I had really wanted to post all my pictures from OKW, but I'm not letting myself do anything until this one is finished. Im sure I'll take oodles of pictures so would be happy to share if anyone is interested
Share Share and Share

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 01-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #680
Pinkocto

Day 7

Today was planned to be our second day at MK since they had Magic Hours, but since we had done everything we wanted to at MK earlier this was a do whatever we wanted to day. I had made two reservations at Boma and this happened to be the day of the second reservation. I was thinking wed probably cancel it but I kept it just in case. It was a good idea because everyone loved it so much they were quite happy to go back. Our ADR was for 10:00 and the plan was to all meet down at the restaurant. Mom had woken up before me and was sitting out in the lounge enjoying some coffee and watching the Sound of Music. I eventually stopped hitting the snooze and got up around 9:40. I need to remind you guys of the huge bug M had found in their room earlier in the trip. She thought it was a cockroach and they eventually found it later that day and killed it. Of course that freaked me out and had me on bug alert the whole week. Well today was my day for a scare. A huge and I mean HUGE bug crawled out of the dirty clothes pile and scurried along the wall. All I could think to do was capture it under a glass. It was so monstrous I didnt dare squash it lest it mess up my shoe and the carpet. At that point it was 9:55 and I needed to get down to breakfast so I left it under the glass intending to show it to mom later.

Down to Boma where I found everybody already there, they were ready to eat! I only took pictures my meal; I think people had started digging in before I thought to take pictures. Well needless to say everyone had numerous plates of food and they all even had a second omelet. They must have been really hungry is all I can say, I cant imagine eating two omelets.

This looks like a lot more butter than it actually was&

Breakfast was as delicious as the last time and we will definitely be back in the future. R & M tried to treat us to breakfast but I wouldnt hear of it. They did pay for themselves though which was fine.

We headed out to the pool to check out the weather and it was pouring rain. Good thing we werent set on going to a park that day. We decided to go rent some movies where R & M picked up National Treasure 2 and I got Dumbo. It had been many years since Id seen it and couldnt pass up the free rental opportunity. We headed up to our perspective rooms and I was fully prepared to take care of the bug, but it was gone! Our room had been cleaned so I guessed that the CM had taken care of it but I had to make sure that was the case and that the glass just hadnt been tipped over. So I went on a hunt for Elsy, our CM, who happened to be next door cleaning. She said she had been vacuuming and saw the glass on the floor and freaked out when she saw what was in it. She vacuumed it up, whew! I had to make sure it wasnt crawling around somewhere. She took care of us all week, she was wonderful.

Bug problem solved mom took a load of clothes down to the laundry and I jumped in the shower. We were happy to stay put as long as it was raining. We watched the Sound of Music for a little bit on the TV, they must have been playing it back to back all day and since mom hadnt seen the end of it earlier she was happy to watch it again. At some point she went back to put the clothes in the drier while I caught up on the DIS. When I was all caught up and she hadnt returned I went in search of her. She had the laundry room to herself and was watching the Sound of Music down there. Too funny.

Around 2:00 the rain had fizzled out and we decided to head to AK. R & M stayed back at the resort and watched National Treasure 2. I think they planned to catch up with us but that never happened. We ended up meeting up at DTD later in the evening. By this point in the trip I had stopped carrying the big camera. Since it was brand new I didnt have a case for it and was carrying it around in a sleeve inside the back pack. Every time I wanted to use it I had to stop and open the back pack and get it out of the sleeve which turned out to be annoying enough to discourage me from using it. The top priority when getting home was to buy a good case for it.

At AK we headed for the Safari but of course got distracted along the way. We found the kangaroos for the first time. I only found out there were kangaroos at AK from someones TR from here. I love that there is always something new to explore.

This was a huge vulture nest.

Because of the rain there was hardly anybody at the park, it was wonderful. The Safari was a walk on. Some giraffes were taking over the road and they were there so long they actually got a feeding truck to come and distract them.

The phone is definitely not the best for the Safari. I kept kicking myself for leaving the camera behind.

After the Safari we headed to the Pangani Forest Trail where we had a wonderful leisurely stroll.

This big guy was so cute playing with his foot. I could have watched much longer but he had attracted quite the crowd and others wanted a good view.

Lily was out being quite playful but the phone couldnt catch a good photo.

After that we headed towards the Maharaja Jungle Trek all the while hunting for some popcorn for me and a Mickey bar for mom. When we got to Asia and still had not found any treats I asked mom if shed like to join me at the Yak & Yeti for some fried green beans. Mary Ellen had raved about them on her TR and I was intrigued. We were seated right away which was very nice. Our waitress didnt seem too thrilled that all we wanted was appetizers and desserts but we were not to be deterred.

The fried green beans were indeed delicious. We werent too crazy about the chili sauce that came with them and mom thought that tamarind sauce would complement them nicely. They actually had some and it did taste very delicious. I highly recommend requesting some tamarind sauce to accompany your fried green beans if you ever get them.

We also got the Cream Cheese Wontons which were a dessert. They were magnificent! Covered in sweetened condensed milk with a side of vanilla ice cream.

Mom also wanted to try the Mango Pie which we both thought needed to be a little tarter. It was good but we probably wont get it again. I much prefer key lime pie.

I was a bit disappointed they didnt take the TiW card which I didn't know ahead of time. Our quick repast cost me a bit more than I expected but it was worth it. The waitress invited us to explore the restaurant after we finished so we did. It was quite impressive.

The story behind the restaurant is that there is a hotel upstairs which they didnt fail to include. I love the Disney details!

to be continued...

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14

Last edited by Pinkocto; 01-19-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #681
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
When you meet people who enjoy doing the same things you do, it is lots of fun. We call them MOM and DAD, I am the age of their children. So it is kinda fun.
That sounds lovely

Old 01-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #682
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Share Share and Share
Thank you, I will

Old 01-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #683
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

Oh, we ate at Y&Y in '09 with our parents - those wontons were to die for! We got a table upstairs so we could watch the afternoon parade.

I think they probably don't take TiW because they are actually part of the Landry chain.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 25/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
tiggrbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #684
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
Oh, we ate at Y&Y in '09 with our parents - those wontons were to die for! We got a table upstairs so we could watch the afternoon parade.

I think they probably don't take TiW because they are actually part of the Landry chain.
I think that's what the waitress said. I just assumed all the sit downs took it, it was my fault I didn't do any investigating.

We went back in December and got the wontons again. Just scrumptious!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #685
Pinkocto

Time seemed to fly by and when we headed out to the Jungle Trek it was 5:30. The park closed at 6:00 that night so when we walked up to the Trekís entrance we asked the CM if we had time to go through. She said we had plenty of time, and we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

I love watching the bats and was now super irritated with myself for not bringing the zoom camera. If anything one should always bring the camera to AK, I missed so many perfect opportunities.

I just love the look of the area in here.

How very kind of them to reassure us.

Look at those paws!

This is inside the bird area.

We starting heading out of the park at 5:56. It was a perfectly splendid afternoon. As we were heading out R texted that he and M had just gotten to DTD so we headed off to meet them. We didnít rush out though, but walked through one of the shops and enjoyed the animals in the Oasis before leaving. We took the bus to Kidani and then caught the DTD bus that magically drove up only a few minutes later. The timing couldnít have been more perfect.

At DTD we found R & M in front of the World of Disney and then went shopping.

I canít remember seeing this before and thought it was so pretty.

I love this photo of R.

I canít remember seeing the Genie either; Iíve been missing all kinds of cute things.

Pooh is looking plumper than usual.

And the Cheshire a little creepierÖ

I love this!

And I so wanted to buy this

But I was not in the mood to spend $145.

Nothing in the jewelry section caught my eye which was just as well. I only left with a mini Lotso and a 2012 magnet.

R & M had gone ahead of us to find a bathroom. We were to meet at EoS but found them in TrenD which is on the way. There were so many cute clothes in there that I wanted but I restrained myself. We ended up parting ways with R & M at that point. M wanted to stay and shop and we were ready to call it a night. Ended up she really would have liked to have spent more time at DTD. Well, I did try to get everyone there earlier in the trip for dinner but they were all too tiredÖ. I knew they would love it. This was our first trip to EoS and we got our sandwiches to go. As we were walking to the bus stop we saw our bus driving up. We ran! Ended up we didnít need to since there were two guests on scooters that needed to be loaded. It was still good to know I could run in a pinch. Itís been a while

We got back home about 9:30. We still had Dumbo to watch so we didnít stop for a movie but went straight to the CL for some desserts. They had pumpkin cheesecake and raspberry mousse.

The pumpkin cheesecake was fabulous! I donít care for fruit and chocolate so didnít go for the mousse but mom loved it. Too bad there werenít more cheesecakes or I would have nabbed them.

I also had one of these which was pretty good.

Since we had missed the prior eveningsí offerings mom asked if they happened to have had that delicious lemon dessert we had on the first night and would you believe they did! We were so sad we missed it.

We watched Dumbo while eating our sandwiches and oh my goodness they were heaven on a plate! I canít believe we hadnít tried EoS before. We would be back thatís for certain. Mom had a veggie and I had a caprese. We couldnít make it past 10:30 so I turned off the movie. It was a splendid day.

Last edited by Pinkocto; 01-19-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #686
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Sounds like a pretty good day and it's good that R&M finally learned to navigate their way around. I've only been to EoS once, and really enjoyed it. I would like to go back sometime, but it never seems to work out. Even at Disneyland!

Quote:
And I so wanted to buy this

But I was not in the mood to spend $145.
Check eBay, or better yet would you like me to have Fran do it for you? She loves to be a personal shopper!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #687
Pinkocto

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Sounds like a pretty good day and it's good that R&M finally learned to navigate their way around. I've only been to EoS once, and really enjoyed it. I would like to go back sometime, but it never seems to work out. Even at Disneyland!
I was so glad they finally figured it out. It was really nice not having to stop for smoke breaks. Just a go with the flow kind of day.

Oh my, you must get back. Needless to say we went three times in December.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Check eBay, or better yet would you like me to have Fran do it for you? She loves to be a personal shopper!
I hadn't even thought of eBay, what a good idea! I just went over and checked and there are a few but they are posted for $199 or $250. There are some other beauties that I've never seen before. eBay is dangerous! How it usually works is that if I'm still thinking about something and see it again I get it. If it slips my mind then I'm not worried. I had forgotten about this until seeing the picture again so I'm ok. It's my fail-safe from spending too much.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #688
dgbg100106

We ate at Y&Y last time we were there and LOVED the dumplings and dim sum.

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #689
dgbg100106

I have never been to EoS, I know I am bad.

About your camera... I am not sure which one you got but I carry a Nikon D7000, and I use a sling strap. It is awesome, and makes taking pictures at Disney much easier.

I have been using it for 4 years now, with a previous camera also.

I use my bag when I go on something wet, but mostly just use the strap for walking around and dry rides.

I have the womens and sport version

http://www.blackrapid.com/products

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 01-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #690
Pinkocto

Day 8 Ė Last Day

Leaving day is always sad and today was no exception. Mom had woken up at 7:45, packed most of her stuff and went down to the pool. I woke up around 8:40 started packing, took a shower, and sat down to watch the rest of Dumbo. I definitely did not remember the strange champagne elephant scene that seemed to last for ages. I really enjoyed it though, and I think I cried when Dumbo saw his mom locked up. Iím a total sap for touchy feely moments.

At some point mom texted or called and said sheíd be up around 10:20 to go grab breakfast with me. Well breakfast closes at 10:30 and she still had stuff to pack and a shower to take and we had to be out of the room at 11:00. Needless to say she was stressing me out. We were already planning to enjoy the pool for the afternoon why did she need to push the envelope at check out timeÖ At 9:30 a CM knocked on the door to clean. ĎI am in here milking all the time I have left, why are you bothering meí I said to myself, not her. It was a different CM from the rest of the week and she said sheíd be back later. Ugh. Around 10:20 mom did finally show up and we went to grab some breakfast. I will admit I was irritable. I was feeling overwhelmed and a bit sad that it was our last day.

We did make it out of the room by 11:00. We decided to give our tip envelope to Elaine to give to Elsy when she saw her next. Iím still unsure about tips and didnít want this new CM to get Elsyís hard earned money. Does anyone have insight on tipping? Should we have left some every day and not waited until the end of the trip?

We chatted with Elaine for a bit before leaving and gave her a hug. She has really made our CL trips even more special than they already are. She greets us by name every time she sees us and makes sure we have everything we want/need. She is an angel. I happened to ask if we could come up later that day since DME didnít pick us up until 4:00. They said absolutely, our cards still worked until closing that night. Excellent, no need to say good bye just yet.

We headed down to do airline check-in. I just love this service, it makes the day so much easier. In no time we were bag-less and had a good 4 Ĺ hours to enjoy. R & M still had a park day on their tickets and wanted to head to AK. Well before this trip I swore I wouldnít let them out of my sight on the last day since they have a bad habit of being late for things. I was still nervous about letting them go, but I really didnít want to go with them since we had just done AK yesterday. I told them that wherever they were at 2:00 to start heading back to the resort. Our DME was coming at 4:05 so I figured that would give them plenty of time to get back. So they headed off and we headed down to the pool.

I really didnít want to sit by the pool for the whole afternoon and found myself getting grouchy. I tried to control it but couldnít stop. Mom quickly caught on to my mood and asked what Iíd like to do. We acquiesced and decided to stay at the pool for an hour and then head to HS. It was another scorcher. I caught up in the journal and then went for a swim. The water was just right. We headed out to HS around 12:30 but left our bags with bell services.

We headed straight to RnRC and ToT. They both had a posted wait of 20 minutes but RnRC was really only a 5 minute wait and ToT was a walk on. So perfect. There was a family in front of us at ToT and one of the younger boys absolutely refused to go on. He was probably 8 or 9. Nothing could convince him to go on. I was impressed by his determination. Hopefully one day heíll get to enjoy it.

Then we headed to Star Tours since mom hadnít gotten a second ride the other day. We stopped for a Mickey bar along the way. Mom just adores those Mickey bars. It was a five minute wait for Star Tours which was great. I think Iím understanding how they shuffle the story lines around. Itís been fun to see the different scenarios but I donít think Iíd go if mom didnít want to. It always makes me feel a little queasy.

After that we headed back to the resort. I stopped for some popcorn along the way though. Usually I always get a souvenir popcorn bucket but not on this trip. All the ones I saw I have already. The little stand actually had air conditioning which I thought was so nice for the CM. Theyíd probably have people passing out in there if there wasnít at least a fan. R called at some point asking where we were. They were back at the resort and looking for us. Oops. I felt a little guilty for not going with them so I said we headed to HS so mom could ride Star Tours. Mom let the cat out of the bag later on in the day. They were going to grab a last lunch at the Mara and weíd find them when we got there.

We left HS around 2:50 and there happened to be a bus waiting at the bus stop. They were switching drivers which was great luck. Back at the resort we stopped in the Zawadi Marketplace and got mom a Halloween reusable bag sheíd been eyeing and another mini Donald for me. It was a different color than the one I had, I needed it!

We collected our bags from bell services and went up to the CL for some last snacks. We went up with some CMs who were changing the door locks to the swipe locks. We had gotten three messages that week saying it would happen while we were there but it never did. I asked the guys how long the resort would take to do and they said about a month. Thatís one big undertaking.

R & M were still eating their lunch by the pool and just decided to stay down there. Elaine had gone home for the day so Iím glad we had said good bye earlier. We had about 20 minutes to enjoy the CL and they went by much too quickly. I changed into jeans before leaving because I am always cold on the plane and then we headed out.

The flower arrangement in the CL was so pretty

We met R & M out front and caught up with them. They had a great time at AK. They did the Festival of the Lion King again, the Safari, and one of the trails. I think the Pangani would make more sense since its right by the safari but I canít remember. Last night at DTD M found a couple shirts she fell in love with and R got a 2012 baseball cap that was on clearance for $13. The DME came right on time and we were off to pick up a few people at the AoA and then Pop Century.

At the airport we were presented with the harsh reality of not being in Disney anymore. The bathrooms were horrible. Disney just does such a great job of keeping everything so clean. We stopped in the Disney and Universal stores before going through security. Iíve never been to Universal which one of these years Iíd really like to do. I just canít seem to drag myself away from WDW.

We had about an hour before our flight so just relaxed and chatted for a bit. The flight was uneventful. It wasnít full which was great so we had two rows to ourselves. When we got to BWI we had to wait on the runway for a good twenty minutes since there was a plane in our way. Mís mom was picking us all up and circled for quite a while before finding the cell phone lot. I was dropped off first and I went straight to get Conner from my dad and stepmomís. I was very happy to see him. He seemed surprised to see me. Thankfully he didnít shun me like he usually does when I get back.

All in all it was a great trip with some important quality time spent with family. Time has already healed a lot of my negative feelings. R & M had a wonderful time which Iím so glad about and mom loved being with all her Ďkidsí.

Thanks to everyone for following along and sharing my adventure.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: