Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Southern California Theme Parks
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Intrigued by Amtrak San Diego to Anaheim

Just found out last night you can take Amtrak from San Diego to Anaheim. This is interesting to me because my one qualm about a San Diego/DL trip is the driving. There is a reason DH likes to go to WDW- he doesn't have to drive (he drives for a living). Plus, we took Amtrak from Iowa to Colorado once and the kids thought it was fabulous.

But, can we get by without renting a car? Say we fly into San Diego. I was looking at staying on Shelter Island just because it looks cool, but we could stay somewhere else. Do the hotels in "Hotel Circle" have shuttles from the airport? Then I understand there are shuttles to Sea World? I don't know if we will go to the zoo or not. What else can we get to without a car?

I do want to get the kids to see the ocean. Can that be done without a car?

Then Amtrak to Anaheim and take a cab to a hotel on Harbor, walk to the parks, and get a shuttle or something to John Wayne airport.

Is this doable? Is it a hassle? Or a breeze?

Are the Amtrak trains fairly punctual? I have to say our previous Amtrak train was not trouble free- it was 3 hours late to pick us up and on the way back we actually had to ride a bus to Omaha instead of the train...all this was due to flooding though.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

We are planning on doing this next month, and I don't anticipate huge problems. We are staying in the downtown area of SD, either the hotel has a shuttle from the airport or we will take a taxi, as it is only a few miles from the airport. We can take the trolley or a taxi to the zoo, as again it is fairly close. We aren't doing Sea World (I don't think) but if we did, we could probably shuttle or taxi there. We may go to the beach, and again we would take a taxi or trolley. We can walk or take a quick taxi to the Amtrak station to take a train to Anaheim. There are multiple trains, I don't recall offhand but it seems like there is a SD -> Anaheim train nearly every 90 minutes, so delays shouldn't be a huge deal. Our SD trip is brief, though, I don't think you could get by without a car if you were staying there for a week and planned on going to the Safari Park and/or Legoland.

There is also the Lux Bus, with a family pass for $125 (I think) that sounds interesting. You are tied to their schedule, though, whereas Amtrak is more flexible.

I don't know when you are planning on traveling, but I'll report back after our trip if it would be helpful.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

We won't be going until next summer, so please do let me know how it went.
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Sjwillia
Mouseketeer

I will be following along too as we are are planning a trip with no car and using Amtrak to Anaheim early next year. Taxi costs are the big budget unknown for my planning, so I will be greatful for any information you can share.

Sjwillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
jjb52
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscheel View Post
Just found out last night you can take Amtrak from San Diego to Anaheim. This is interesting to me because my one qualm about a San Diego/DL trip is the driving. There is a reason DH likes to go to WDW- he doesn't have to drive (he drives for a living). Plus, we took Amtrak from Iowa to Colorado once and the kids thought it was fabulous.

But, can we get by without renting a car? Say we fly into San Diego. I was looking at staying on Shelter Island just because it looks cool, but we could stay somewhere else. Do the hotels in "Hotel Circle" have shuttles from the airport? Then I understand there are shuttles to Sea World? I don't know if we will go to the zoo or not. What else can we get to without a car?

I do want to get the kids to see the ocean. Can that be done without a car?

Then Amtrak to Anaheim and take a cab to a hotel on Harbor, walk to the parks, and get a shuttle or something to John Wayne airport.

Is this doable? Is it a hassle? Or a breeze?

Are the Amtrak trains fairly punctual? I have to say our previous Amtrak train was not trouble free- it was 3 hours late to pick us up and on the way back we actually had to ride a bus to Omaha instead of the train...all this was due to flooding though.
We like to stay downtown SD-Hyatt, Marriott, Holiday Inn(the one across from Star of India)-we are then close to Seaport Village for shopping, dining, the HOHO trolley, ferry to Coronado (for beach), Hornblower cruises, etc. Just a quick taxi ride to Amtrak from there and about 2 hours to Anaheim Station. Sit on left side of train to get best view of ocean. Cab over to DLR. Very doable without a car.
jjb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
maggieb9975
DIS Veteran

We are going carless too next week. We are flying in to Lax, taking a shuttle to our hotel at Hilton Citywalk. Staying there a few days then taking a towncar to DLH. Then taking Amtrak to San Diego and staying at Pacific Terrace Hotel on Beach. Will take taxi to Zoo and seaworld......then taxi to airport.

Cant wait for our trip and will report back on how it all goes!!!
Old 07-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

. . . Is this doable? Is it a hassle? Or a breeze?

Are the Amtrak trains fairly punctual?
We've taken the Amtrak "Pacific Surfliner" to and from San Diego several times. Yes, it's doable. No, it's not a hassle. Yes, it is a breeze.

The trains departing San Diego are VERY punctual, since it's the beginning of the northbound line.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #8
cyclenut
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73
We've taken the Amtrak "Pacific Surfliner" to and from San Diego several times. Yes, it's doable. No, it's not a hassle. Yes, it is a breeze.

The trains departing San Diego are VERY punctual, since it's the beginning of the northbound line.

Woody
We have not ridden as often as you but can attest to the easy Amtrak trip and punctuality of the trains. I want to add you can also take the train into Hollywood through grand central station and the red line from there. I think you can get all the way to Universal Studios but I have not done that.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstacy to Ensenada - Summer 2004
Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas NB Pacific Coast - April 2007
Disney Wonder to Alaska - August 2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean - June 2012
Disney Wonder SB Pacific Coast - September 2012
cyclenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclenut View Post

I want to add you can also take the train into Hollywood through grand central station and the red line from there. I think you can get all the way to Universal Studios but I have not done that.
I think you meant to say Union Station.

Yes, from there you can take the Red Line to Universal Studios.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #10
Solved
Earning My Ears

We did this last February. We stayed in San Diego near Balboa Park, took a cab to the train station ($6), the Amtrak to Anaheim and another cab to Disneyland ($14, which we split with another mom+kid that was looking for a cab as well). The ride there went great, but on the way back it was delayed for two hours, and when we finally could arrive back to the train station in San Diego, there wasn't a single cab available anywhere, so we ended up taking a local train after scrambling for change. Next time I might take the long distance bus that actually goes all the way instead, but I definitely liked being able to choose when I wanted to leave vs. the single time option for the bus.
Solved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Came across The Dana at Mission Bay. It says there is a shuttle to/from airport and to/from Amtrak for a small fee. There is a free shuttle to Sea World, or you can walk. Then the trolley also picks up there, and the Zoo and Coronado Beach are on the trolley map. So I take it we can take the trolley to the Zoo and the beach right from the Dana?

If so, I have shuttle from SAN airport to Dana-walk to Sea World- trolley to Zoo and beach- shuttle to Amtrak- train to Anaheim- taxi to hotel on Harbor- walk to DL- shuttle to SNA airport

Sound like a plan?
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

Old 07-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Hadn't looked at the trolley prices yet- it's a little expensive!
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

Old 07-17-2012, 05:21 AM   #13
Sjwillia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Came across The Dana at Mission Bay. It says there is a shuttle to/from airport and to/from Amtrak for a small fee. There is a free shuttle to Sea World, or you can walk. Then the trolley also picks up there, and the Zoo and Coronado Beach are on the trolley map. So I take it we can take the trolley to the Zoo and the beach right from the Dana?

If so, I have shuttle from SAN airport to Dana-walk to Sea World- trolley to Zoo and beach- shuttle to Amtrak- train to Anaheim- taxi to hotel on Harbor- walk to DL- shuttle to SNA airport

Sound like a plan?
We are looking at almost the same plan/hotel for a Fall 2013 trip. I called the Dana and their shuttle service to/from airport or train station is $18 a trip. I am not sure how that compares to a taxi cost. I also asked if the Trolley went to the zoo and was told it would take a long time so will probably do a taxi for that. If you do this trip, please let us know how things work out.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjwillia View Post
We are looking at almost the same plan/hotel for a Fall 2013 trip. I called the Dana and their shuttle service to/from airport or train station is $18 a trip. I am not sure how that compares to a taxi cost. I also asked if the Trolley went to the zoo and was told it would take a long time so will probably do a taxi for that. If you do this trip, please let us know how things work out.
$18 per person or is that for the whole family?
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
Sjwillia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
$18 per person or is that for the whole family?
She said it was for the whole family.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: