Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #16
Rhiannona
Landlocked Mermaid

I wasn't so sure how excited my boyfriend was with going to Disney with me for a day... So I looked into things.

I found photos of interesting foods at service stations he might like to eat. I looked into what kind of beer was where. I told him interesting facts that applied to his interest that weren't so.. Obvious about Disney.

And then, we were at a mall and it had a huge Disney store. The whole thing that sold him on it would be fun to go to Disney? The smile on my face when i walked in there.

We also agreed when we went into the park that we would take it easy, if it wasn't a high priority ride for us we could easily skip it. Since we aren't big line waiters we enjoyed the time together exploring and taking in the sights.
Rhiannona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
catra121
DIS Veteran

Just one more thing that I would like to mention. I was in this situation with my BF and I was very excited to take him to Disney and share my love of Disney with him. We had a great time but aside from thinking about activities he would like to do, also keep in mind his vacation touring style.

My BF loves fishing, sports, eating, etc...but he is also VERY laid back and doesn't like a strict schedule. He doesn't like to get up early but he can stay awake until the wee hours of the morning with no problem. That's sort of the opposite of me and how I tour Disney with my family so I made sure to take this into account when planning our Disney trip together. I couldn't afford any of the extras that others have mentioned so my focus was on picking a resort that suited his style (I would be happy at ANY Disney resort) and planned our days to be as laid back as possible while still hitting all the things that I loved/thought he would enjoy.

The trip was a success and although he is not a Disney lover like I am he understands how much I love it and will go again (he went back for my parents vow renewal in Disney and we're talking about a trip next September). What he likes best about Disney is how happy I am when I am there. It made a huge difference that I planned our first trip with his touring style in mind though because when we went with my family I could tell that if that had been his first experience back at Disney (after his one bad one as a child) he would never have gone back again.

Good luck!

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
Karabee
DIS Veteran

I just booked the trip. I realize that this might not be as practical for you, but I just went ahead and booked. Granted I'm the vacation planner so that helps I also made sure to book during Food and Wine Festival and to make sure to pick some really great restaurants since we love to go out to eat. I had to show him it's more than just an amusement park. Going during F&W was huge - that's the part he loved the most.
I also would be very careful picking which resort. I chose WL and we both didn't really like it, so I wish I had stuck with my gut and picked AKL or something else.
If he likes to golf, point that out. If he likes to try different beers/wines, point out the tastings you can go to and the different amazing wines (i.e. AKL has so many African wines). I know the water park was also a huge hit for my BF.
I know many would not be pleased I'm saying this but take Mickey out of the equation when talking to him about it. That helped me out.

Places checked off the hotel list : Poly, Poly CL, SSR, BC, DI, AKL, OKW, GF, WL, CBR, POR, POP
Karabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #19
ohsnapxitsamanda
Mouseketeer

My boyfriend wasn't really into the whole Disney thing like I am. It wasn't that he didn't like it--it just was never a big part of his life like it has been mine. I was down there on the College Program for 9 months, and I knew that it was my chance to get him down there so he could finally experience Disney World for himself. Once again, he wasn't too crazy about it....he just wanted to come down to Orlando to see me. However, after spending 2 days at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios, he fell in love with it and wants to go back.

So even if your boyfriend will only go for you, that's a start. Find something you know will interest him (for my boyfriend, it was the fact that he could get a real German beer in Germany ), and experience that with him. He might not fall in love with it, but once he realizes that Disney isn't "just for little kids", he'll like a lot more.
Blog: Going to Neverland

ohsnapxitsamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 AM   #20
Dommiekazommie
Mouseketeer

my DF was exactly the same. I've always loved Disney but living in Australia I didn't get to go to a Disney park until I was 22 and I went on a once in a lifetime trip with a Disney obsessed (like me) friend (her Dad lives in Miami so she goes to WDW every year) id already been with BF 5 years at that point so he wasn't going anywhere. Needless to say one trip wasn't enough, and as soon as I got back I kept begging him to go. He agreed to go one but I didn't get him there until 2010. I convinced him to do 5 days at Disney and 5 days in Vegas over his birthday. And planned the whole trip for him. I got him a birthday present he got to open each day we were there. About 3 months before we went I got him the birhaums (spelling) Disney book and asked him to read a section a week and highlight anything that sounded good or fun. That got him a little more excited, and I went through an made sure we'd included pretty much everything he'd highlighted. Including restaurants where all I ate we're fries (lol. He loves steak. I'm a veggie). When we got there he loved it. Even called iy the best holiday ever! He's not a Disney addict like me, but he did agree that every second holiday can be a Disney one!!!!! So were going back in September for 12 nights!

The one thing I realized is that while I'm totally commando and chris went along with me, he didn't love that style. His fave day of the first trip was the day he was getting over a tummy bug and we went to Hollywood studios and took it slow. We still got there for rope drop but didn't rush ourselves, just wandered around and fd what we wante (after Toy story midway mania of course) and went back to rest at the resort for a few hours. So this trip were doing 12 days and I've promised him much more relaxed pool and resort time!

He also loved the character interaction, which I didn't think he would at all. So that's something to give a trh even if you don't think your tough manly man would want to! Lol!

He even defends Disney now, when people are bagging it. So huge improvement right there.

No matter what I think he'll give it a try for you. And I know a lot of chris agreeing to go back is seeing how happy I am at Disney.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #21
Tramp77
Earning My Ears

Ladies I am single and I am an athletic jock type several months out of a LTR...had my heart broken. Been to WDW over 30 times, former Disney Store cast member. 6'1, 229 pounds, football player's build. Very nice, laid back and down to earth. Feel free to say hello...
Old 07-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #22
Plum85
Mouseketeer

My DBF of 4 years was extremely sceptical about Disney. He doesn't like hot weather, is a really bad flier (9 hours for us with one stop in between), he HATES roller coasters or anything other than very small rides. He always said Disney was really childish, never seen any of the movies and didn't know why I liked it so much. We went in september last year for two weeks, and once we arrived home we immediately booked to go again. HE LOVED IT!!

DBF sounds like the least likely candidate to fall in love with Disney but he did. I made sure we did lots of other activities like shopping, eating out, laying by the pool, and both US and IoA. My advice is not to make it ALL about Disney. We go again in 8 weeks and DBF is so excited. Don't give up hope!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

IMO Disney is one of those things that you either love it or you don't. Fortunately for me my DH loves Disney...But I have to say that he would spend our entire vacation at Epcot if it were up to him. I think when most people think about Disney they are thinking Magic Kingdom. So my suggestion would be to introduce him to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. Also Disney has the Richard Petty driving experience which may be something that he would be interested in doing....Good luck
Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #24
elishakaylen
Earning My Ears

same boat

Me and my bf have a trip booked for this December for my 21st birthday and I am beyond excited, but he just hasn't showed very much thrill about it. I have been many times (never at Christmas time though), but he has only been one time on a family trip when he was pretty young. I guess he really only saw the little kid aspect of it and is not realizing adults (we're 20 and 22, will be 21 and 23 at time of trip) can enjoy WDW too!

Hope he gets excited when we get there, which I am sure he will. But right now he just rolls his time every time i meantion it and talk about the plans.
elishakaylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
TXGoofyGirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneytheKid View Post
As a former BF (now DH) I would say show him how important it is to you and the love of Disney will follow
When I first invited my BF (now DH) to Disney, he was game, but not totally stoked about it. When he saw how my face lights up when I see the castle, or how I cry during Wishes, he just "got" it. And now he's just as excited about going back as I am - 3+ times a year - and we're not locals!
TXGoofyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #26
pg0314
Mouseketeer

My BFF's hubby isn't a theme park fan but goes to Disney with her because he knows how much she loves it. Knowing it's not really his thing, she doesn't push him to go commando style or try things he's really not interested in. For example, he hates getting up early on vacation so they usually don't hit the parks until lunchtime. He gets motion sickness so she doesn't try to force him onto thrill rides. And they always have a non-Disney day where they do something he really likes: Sea World or the Kennedy Space Center for example.
pg0314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #27
MissSabrinaLee
Earning My Ears

My BF doesn't like amusement parks, thrill rides, water rides, crowds, or heat. That being said he has agreed to go to WDW for an 8 night trip. How? I did exactly what everyone is suggesting. Find a few things that he IS interested in. Unfortunately he's not uber excited yet. I think once they get there the magic will take over if you don't force it. I'm hoping that he'll come away wanting to go back as much as me! (Or at the very least be willing to go back =])
Old 07-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #28
canopynut66
DIS Veteran

hate to tell you but some just into it and some not IMO cannot make someone love it like we do. have a cousin like that he hates it???? but he has NEVER been in any park? so how can you hate something you have never seen or know nothing about is my question to him and he just shrugs his shoulders and says not going...ask him to at least go and go over to ESPN and watch NASCAR of sports all day so his wife and kid could go and nope he wants his beer and chair at home. it is what it is and only gets worse...
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #29
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

I brought my DBF along for his first ever trip to WDW in early June. I have to admit, at first he didn't seem very excited- it actually made me a bit upset when I booked the trip and he wasn't jumping up and down like I was. But at the same time, he was smiling and did agree to go- which is better than nothing!

Since it was his first time, and I hadn't been in over 10 years, I bought a guidebook so that we could learn more about the parks/rides/restaurants that had changed, etc.. While DBF didn't want to read the book cover-to-cover like I did, he had a lot of fun glancing through the book and picking out things that HE found interesting.

DBF ended up falling in love with Disney- he even booked our next trip 2 days after we returned home! I have to agree with some of the other posts in this thread as well:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
My advice is kind of negative but I think it's important. Be very careful about how you go about this because you can easily go from suggestions to pestering. Good luck though!
I have to agree entirely- sometimes (since we've experienced Disney) we get annoyed when others aren't as excited about certain things. I would let your boyfriend become excited naturally- like I suggested, let HIM to the research on his own! Don't overplan the trip with thousands of sporting events, etc- because then you don't really get to experience Disney as a couple. Just relax, and if he loves you- it will all work out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGoofyGirl View Post
When I first invited my BF (now DH) to Disney, he was game, but not totally stoked about it. When he saw how my face lights up when I see the castle, or how I cry during Wishes, he just "got" it. And now he's just as excited about going back as I am - 3+ times a year - and we're not locals!
This pretty much sums up our trip in early June- no matter how much "planning" you do beforehand- nothing will compare to how happy he will see you once you reach Disney.

Have fun!

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #30
rabbitroger
Mouseketeer

And if nothing else peaks his interest, tell him to search "Flash Mountain"
rabbitroger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: