Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM   #1
sewmess
DIS Veteran

First PTR/TR - Alone Again, Happily (pg 2)

Title Explainer: I started a TR about the multigenerational trip we took last year & I completely flaked. Got to the introductions and complete - and I mean completely -forgot about it. So this PTR is hopefully to redeem some of the face I lost on that one. (EDIT:the original title for the TR was "Redemption on the Disboard)

I'll start, I suppose, with introductions. It shouldn't take long - there's only DH and myself on this trip (thank the Lord!) Last trip there were 6 of us and one was a fussy seasoned citizen on her first WDW visit. She did have a good time because she mentions the trip often with glowing words.

ANYWAY:

There will be me: sewmess aka RAT aka sewer-rat (right NEBO?)
I'm in my late thirties and will be in my even later thirties after this trip. My birthday is smack-dab in the middle of the trip. As usual (more on that later)

And there will be DH: aka CAT. He was born and lived the first 9 years of his life in Orange County CA. Yes, he did spend a lot of time at DL, often because he was horribly spoiled. (his favorite story is about the time he was signed out of school to go to DL for his birthday TWICE!) After a long circuitous journey he wound up in AL. Once he was old enough to pay for his vacations himself, he started taking himself (and sometimes his batchelor herd) to WDW. He's been, like, 20 times.

My first trip to WDW was in 1990, shortly after Disney/MGM Studios opened. (So if I slip and call DHS MGM, you'll know why) I went with a school trip: 3 days at WDW (1 day per park) and 3 days on a cruise to the Bahamas - before Disney went into the business for themselves. We stayed off property and the highlight of the trip for me was being able to get a "real" Paddington Bear, after growing up reading his stories.

I didn't go back to WDW until after I was married. DH, I and another couple went as a kind of 6 month anniversary trip in April 2005 and stayed at Pop Century.

The next year we went back with my sister for her 1st WDW visit, which was also a 50 birthday celebration. My Sis & BIL stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter, but DH & I (broke younger syblings) stayed at All Star Movies. Which worked out well: we didn't have to spend every single minute with each other & could vent to our respective spouses about our sister. (not really; we had other things to vent about)

2008 started our yearly visits, all because we got a Disney Visa and went on the "Herding Cats Trip" in April. This was with DH's sister and family, including my MIL & FIL. Worst trip I've ever had, although a bad day at Disney is better than a good day at work. (Am I right, people?) We actually went home with money left over! We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside in the Alligator Bayou. DH was less than impressed, but I still think that was just the other stuff on the trip coloring his view.

Well, Disney tempted us later that year with a great offer of Free Food with our Disney Visa. We got an upgrade with our All Star Movies reservation and froze various body parts off (not really, but it did get down to 20 one of the nights)

September 2009 it was just DH and I and we LOVED it. We stayed at Caribbean Beach for the first time and (miracles of miracles) DH actually relaxed.

We liked it so much we went the next year, same time frame. With the same results.

When my Sister and I decided that it was high time my mom (age 77 at the time) made her first trip to WDW, we chose CBR again. (yes, Mom is the fussy seasoned citizen referred to earlier. She can be. . .particular. And stubborn. There were probably some cast members that needed a medal for dealing with her.) We went in October, partially to let FL cool a bit, so Mom didn't have the heat to contend with and partially because it fit Sister's schedule better.

Each year we say we'll wait two years before going back, but each year, there we are, signing up to go in the fall, with free food. Each year I dread the payments, but each year somehow we make it work.

Well, this went on a bit longer than I intended. Thank's for reading and hopefully I'll have more to say soon.

Buh-Bye
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS

Last edited by sewmess; 09-30-2012 at 08:00 PM.
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Updates

Okay - for now this is reserved for updates, because I really appreciate them & hopefully my narrative will be so enthralling you'll want to skip over the replies and get on to the meat of the story.

And then go back and check the replies
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Preliminary Itinerary with ADRs

Okay, so our trip is slated to begin, technically, right after work 9/20. SIL lives on the way to FL, so we always stop over for the night and then straight on in the morning (second star to the right optional)

So...

9/20-7:00pm, pick up dinner and DH and eat in car on road to SIL's house

9/21 - leave SIL's no later than 8:00am, wind our way through AL backroads to I10, turn left and then on to Orlando!! (well, with a right turn in there, headed south otherwise we'd end up in the Atlantic Ocean.)

9/21 - arrive in Orlando, hopefully (it's never been a problem thus far) at our favorite one night hotel on International Drive, find dinner, verify check in for the next morning and probably watch some ESPN, if I know DH.

9/22 - Check out, re-pack overnight stuff, find our way to CBR, check in (leave luggage maybe) and then hop on the bus to Magic Kingdom! Maybe get there in time for rope drop! (DH likes to sleep in, except at Disney)
ADR: Tony's Town Square for an early dinner

9/23 - EPCOT day with ADR for lunch at Restaurant Marrakesh. This will be new to us.

9/24 - Disney Hollywood Studios (or MGM because we're old and stuck in our ways) ADR: Sci-Fi Dine-In mid afternoon (what would you call that...Dunch?) It's an oldie but a goodie and our second choice because we couldn't get in in Mama Melrose.

9/25 - Animal Kingdom, a "short day" with an early dinner ADR at Yak and Yeti. Remind me sometime to tell you about the last time we went with Cranky Seasoned Citizen and California Girl.
We'll head back to CBR to get a little down time and probably change because we're headed to MNSSHP that evening. Yeah!! (I'm a fan of the more obscure characters that you get to see at the party & Halloween may be my favorite holiday)

9/26 - Birthday Tradition: Breakfast ADR at Crystal Palace - actually any celebration: last year it was our anniversary, but usually it's my birthday. One year closer to the big four-oh. The rest of the day is pick up: what ever we missed, or want to do again, or have the hankering for.

9/27 - Typhoon Lagoon (weather permitting) and Downtown Disney. ADR at Ragland Road for another late lunch/early dinner.

9/28 - Last day Another Pick up day starting with a breakfast ADR at The Wave at the Contemporary. All I have to say is "Sweet Potato Pancakes"

9/29 - drive straight home and collapse in the house, missing our sweet T, who we'll have to pick up Monday from the boarders.

That's the quick and messy version of the plan. It's subject to change at anytime (I've already adjusted an ADR or two from when I made them) but the rough structure will remain intact.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Paid up and getting excited!!!!!!

So for it looks like I'm just journalling here, but that's okay by me.

Made the final payment (2 days before the deadline) and now Its REAL!!
We will be in Disney for 6 days in September and all the mess at work will be worth it!!

I'm also getting in the mood by making a custom outfit for a co-worker's little girl. Their first trip to WDW is about a week before I go. When I offered to make a little set for the 3 year old, my co-worker nearly did a happy dance at her desk. She, self proclaimedly, is not crafty, and her daughter had asked her, while looking at pictures of her cousin's trip to WDW, "Do I get special Mickey Mouse clothes when we go see Mickey Mouse?"

Talk about serendipity!

Anyway - I'm at work and should be updating a manual so I'll keep this short.

WOOOT - paid up and ready to go to WDW!!

Last edited by sewmess; 08-06-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Spell check - what's that?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Nothing really exciting to report: The countdown is at 1 month, 6 days (to Disney; 1 month 4.5 days to blessed vacation) and we're probably taking my car, rather than DH's Rondo.

The Rondo has been to Disney 2 times. If you don't know what a Kia Rondo is: think Itty-Bitty Mini Van with SUV doors. Or overgrown station wagon. Either way, it fits all our luggage and waters and stuff with room to spare for goodies to take home.

However, the air in the Rondo went out LAST August and DH - procrastonator extrodinare - still hasn't gotten it fixed. And we have a big hairy dog who has shared his dogginess with the Rondo - even cleaned it still smells a bit like T. (T's the dog's name, BTW: just T)

And I had to get a new car. My darling 2003 Kia Spectra, which had held me in good stead for almost 10 years decided that 2012 was the year it was going to break everything at once. Well, not everything: it had a mystery oil leak, a bent rim, and needed new tires when the the radiator developed a crack.

I just went ahead and got a "new" car. DH had been bugging me to get one for a year or so and this pushed me over the edge.

I got a "new" 2008 Pontiac (miss that brand ) G5, in red, with a sunroof. Dh said that if he had gotten it, it would be a midlife crisis car.

But the air works, so it looks like the Pontiac it is. DH has yet to drive it & he's the driver (not that I don't drive on long trips, he just likes to have something to do on the drive. He's not a control freak. Really. ) He keeps talking about a test drive, to get used to it. Hasn't happened yet.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
(T's the dog's name, BTW: just T)
Not named after Mr. T, I don't suppose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
He keeps talking about a test drive, to get used to it. Hasn't happened yet.
I hear ya on the "Mr. Procrastinator" bit. My hubby does usually get the car worked on before we go, but within a couple of days of when we go, meaning the trip is the shakedown cruise on whatever work was done. With occasionally interesting results.

Congrats on the new car! Although a sun roof is not what I would want on a trip to Florida. But since you're living in Alabama, I'm hoping you have more sun appreciation than I do.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom View Post
Not named after Mr. T, I don't suppose?
LOL - not really, He's black with a white T on his chest. It was very pronounced when he was a puppy & the people we got him from were not super creative, so they just called him T and it stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalome View Post
I hear ya on the "Mr. Procrastinator" bit. My hubby does usually get the car worked on before we go, but within a couple of days of when we go, meaning the trip is the shakedown cruise on whatever work was done. With occasionally interesting results.

Congrats on the new car! Although a sun roof is not what I would want on a trip to Florida. But since you're living in Alabama, I'm hoping you have more sun appreciation than I do.
DH has good intentions, but he's a "why do today what you can put off until tomorrow" kind a guy, so we've had a few long-distance surprises too.

Being in Alabama means I get to use the sunroof as late as October and as early as March! May - August, however. . .AC all the Way I do suspect, though, that when we hit I10, the sunroof will be closed and the AC on.

Thanks for Reading!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

Hey there Lady Rat, I still find that the best trips are the ones I take with just my lovely wife, hope this one works out for you, I think it will and you will love it just the two of you.
nebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo View Post
Hey there Lady Rat, I still find that the best trips are the ones I take with just my lovely wife, hope this one works out for you, I think it will and you will love it just the two of you.
Hi Nebo!

I always prefer our trips to be just him and me, and after the past couple of big trips, I think he's coming around too. And CBR is a huge influence on him relaxing: he like to just laze at a beach - not go into the water or anything, but lazy around.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:36 AM   #10
sewmess
DIS Veteran

One Month!!

So - today is officially one month from Disney, making it 29ish days to vacation. And boy Howdy - am I needing one!

Actual preparation for our trip is, at this point, mininmal. Dh did let me know he's taking the Tuesday before we leave off to help a buddy with something & "maybe get the car serviced?" I think I may get the oil changed, etc a little before that, just for my peace of mind.

I'm working on a Disney outfit I asked to make for a co-worker's little girl. She's going to Disney World for the Very First Time in just a couple of weeks! So far I'm winging a pattern, but I think I'm going to stop by a couple of stores on the way home this evening and see if I can pick up a pattern. I don't sew for kids much, so I think I may need a guideline.

I also want to make myself a new bag. I've been visiting the DISboutique thread and got introduced to DMGeurts and her Perfect Park Bags. I'm not hugely into the quilted type bags, but I do need a new cross-body bag for the parks and she got me inspired.

So I've been making a mental list of all the things I'll need in a bag for the parks:
  • Sunscreen
  • Key to the world card
  • safe key
  • bandaids
  • water bottle
  • pen
  • paper
  • cash

so, I'll need a bag big enough for my sunscreen or water bottle, an easy access pocket for my ticket, at least one secure interior pocket for the safe key and cash, a pen pocket, and pockets for the bandaids and paper.

I've got some ideas, but have yet to actually start building anything.

Got to get L's first Disney Trip outfit first.

ONE MONTH!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #11
starann
In having children, I have lost my mind, but found my soul

Joining in....1 month and 1 year for me!!! LOL!

Are you making a bag? Make sure you post picts of it!!!
Cody 12-19-03 and Shane 2-23-05
NEW ARRIVAL, Casey 5/13/11

You Brought WHAT Home From WDW?!?!?!?! A Setp 2013 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....0#post49731870

New ticker...coming soon...just not the kind you think!
starann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #12
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starann View Post
Joining in....1 month and 1 year for me!!! LOL!

Are you making a bag? Make sure you post picts of it!!!
Welcome!

If I ever get started on it I will. Dh isn't the only procrastonator in the family.

Speaking of DH, while he was getting ready to spoil the dog wtih some bacon this morning, he asked, "Are we in the countdown phase yet? - I mean, counting down the things we have to get dome for the trip?" It's nice to know that he's there with me occassionally.

I have tomorrow off and plan on working like a crazy seamstress on the little girl's first Disney Trip outfit AND start the bag. If I can resist the siren song of the Joanne's, that is. I definately have to get the outfit done this week, they're leaving for WDW a week from Friday.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:08 AM   #13
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

OK - I've been meaning to get here for a while now...

I love your plans so far! You are trying many restaurants that we have never tried before...

LOVE MNSSHP!!!! I am dying to go back to WDW in the fall - maybe next year?

And CP is one of our very tippy-top favorite ADRs, especially before the park opens.

Can you repost your bag? It didn't show up when you posted it in my PTR - and I am dying to see it!

You should be totally excited by now - only 2 more weeks!

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #14
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
OK - I've been meaning to get here for a while now...

I love your plans so far! You are trying many restaurants that we have never tried before...

LOVE MNSSHP!!!! I am dying to go back to WDW in the fall - maybe next year?

And CP is one of our very tippy-top favorite ADRs, especially before the park opens.

Can you repost your bag? It didn't show up when you posted it in my PTR - and I am dying to see it!

You should be totally excited by now - only 2 more weeks!

D~

Nice to see you here. Yeah, I had some issues with the pictures. I'll be posting them here - and they're over on the disboutique thread.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Two weeks and counting.

Actually, it's one week 6 days until we actually arrive in Orlando.

I've been busy the past week with Labor Day Activities at work and getting a little outfit and other goodies ready for that first time 3yo.

This is what I made her:

Just your basic t-shirt with a mickey head applique and a skort (skirt over shorts for my female wardrobe challenged readers)

I also did this for her:

It's an upcycled T-Shirt: a little craft interfacing, ribbon and two fat quarters of cotten for the lining and VIOLA! tote.

They should be at WDW today! They're staying at All Star Music and I'm really excited for them.

I would be more excited for me, but I've come down with something. I stayed in bed all day yesterday and, while I'm at work today, I'm not 100%.
DH says I pushed myself last week and when I finally relaxed, my body realised it was sick. He's probably right. He usually is.

One thing he may not be right on is which car we're taking. He's still waffling between the Rondo and the Pontiac. Rondo still has no air, but he's more comfortable driving it. My car is "weird" but he has been driving it. The plan is to get his car serviced and then decide.

I'd like to get a little crafting done for me before we go. I realised yesterday while trying to use my Kindle Fire while in bed that I need a stand and I have a pattern to use. I also have a couple of shirts for myself I'd like to get done and the bag.

Well, I actually have two whole days off this week (management schedules can be a bear) so I might get something done this week.

We'll see.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: