Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Cooking
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Earstou
The Tag Fairy sends you pixie dust to help you feel better, but we don't do AP rates!

Need food ideas for a Safari theme party

We are throwing a surprise party for my mom's 80th birthday. She just went on a photo Safari, so safari will be our theme.
We will decorate with animal prints, stuffed animals, and photos from her trip. We will make animal decorated cupcakes, (Betty Crocker has some cute ideas).
But I'm stuck on food. Some of it will be potluck from the family, but I will cook and serve the main dishes.
So, any ideas for food with a Safari or African theme?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
VickiV
DIS Veteran

You could try looking at the "Official" Disney Recipe Index thread stickied at the top of Cooking. There are many recipes there for restaurants at the Animal Kingdom Lodge-Boma and Jiko. If you find anything you like, go to the actual recipe thread to find it. The index will tell you what page it's on in the thread. While I've never eaten at any of the restaurants there, I've seen many post that they love it. You might also find some recipes listed for the Animal Kingdom theme park.

VickiV
VickiV is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Earstou
The Tag Fairy sends you pixie dust to help you feel better, but we don't do AP rates!

OK, so all I have to do is look, lol!!!

I spent a long time looking last night and saved quite a few into a document that I will share with my sisters (they are helping with the party).

Thanks for pointing the sticky out to me, I had just popped over here quickly and posted, without looking around, knowing my Disboard friends would help me out!!!
Thanks again!
Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
hamellr
Earning My Ears

You could serve more traditional dishes, but give them Safari-related names. Perhaps with a little name tag?

IE, make some ribs and call them Giraffe ribs. Use a mango based BBQ sauce. Or go with stuffed tomatoes, and call them ostrich eggs.

There is this great website I found that has some decent ideas too: http://odettesrecipesfromzimbabwe.blogspot.com/
hamellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
Phatoomch
DIS Veteran

You could make Bobotie - its a family staple in Africa. I have South African friends, one used to be a Safari guide and this is often what they would serve the tour groups for dinner and she made it for me. Its South Africas version of British Shepherds Pie. I love it! http://www.whats4eats.com/meats/bobotie-recipe

This recipe suggests adding apricot preserve which I do to give it a sweet kick
Phatoomch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: