Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #151
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post
I am loving your report!

Here's my packing list so far:
- bug spray
- tennis shoes
- ponchos & rain jackets
- waterproof camera
- hydrocortisone cream
- flashlights

What type of clothing did you wear? It seems that tennis shoes would be best most days, but I don't know if they're going to be wet all the time. (Our trip is in July)
July is still rainy season. Your list is pretty good so far. Another thing, which I meant to mention later is bring an extra dry shoe/beach sandal. It would have been nice to change to a dry pair after the nature boat ride. Your feet and shoes will get soaking wet during the white water rafting as well. And since the area is very humid, it takes a while for wet things to dry up. You can just borrow the ponchos in Tortuguero. This is one trip where traveling light would be essential.

We wore REI shirts or similar (Columbia, Kuhl,etc.,) for the activities. They are cool, has UV protection and easy to dry. We know we were doing the right thing since Fico was wearing the exact same outfits! We also wore REI shorts or pants.

One other thing you might want to add to your list is the sunscreen.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
tufbuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #152
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Ziplining(!!!), La Fortuna and hot springs

We are up for a really exciting and thrilling day today! The ziplining place was not far from the hotel. The picture I posted earlier of Arenal was taken when I got up for breakfast. I believe it was around 6 am. By the time we left for breakfast, this was how the volcano looked.

Each of our rooms have a huge sliding door which faces the volcano. It's an awesome view to wake up in the morning. The volcano ceased its pyroclastic flow in 2010.

This is the entrance to the ziplining place.

There are 8 ziplines we go through here and this is the map of the lines.

I asked about the GoPro deal with ziplining and here is the info for those interested in future trips. You may bring your own and attach it to your helmet. Clips are already ready on each helmet to attach a GoPro with a helmet strap, which you need to provide yourself if you were to bring your own GoPro. You may rent a GoPro unit for $45. At the end of the activity, you may view the microSD card (if you rented one) in their computer.

We let the kids go ahead. Here they are all loaded on cable cars to take them up the ziplining platform. It's about a 15 minute ascent to where the ziplining starts.

Off they go!....

The rest of the group chatted while waiting and a few tried to settle their nerves.

Here's a view from the cable cars.

We had a wonderful day ziplining! I believe we would have gone even if it rained though. Again, you can see how thick the forest is and it's an area where most of us got more bug bites. DD and I wore long pants to avoid getting more but they still went between my sandal straps and arms. They itch like crazy! We did frequent application of hydrocortisone cream and it really helped.

This is one of two trial ziplining lines. It is nowhere near the magnitude of the real lines ahead!

Gonecruisin' has a similar photo as the one below. I couldn't orient myself until I got there though, of course. Anyway, this was taken from the platform above where we got off our cable cars. Two trial lines get you to the platform in the photo. If you look closely, you can see a line which the guide is holding at the bottom of the photo all the way through the thickness of the forest. This is the point of no return so people decide if they wish to continue or descend the platform. Once you go through the lines, that is the only wait to exit the area. This particular line is the highest, 700+ feet above sea level! You cannot appreciate it in the beginning but once you're in the middle of the line, you will see how high up you are. It's quite fast too and it's great to feel the wind on your face.

Only one child backed out on ziplining. A couple of adults went with a guide to go through the first one but did it on their own afterwards. The smaller kids had to go with a guide each time since they don't make it all the way to the other platform.

More ziplining photos... This is my DD ziplining, as I held my breath!....

And DH coming in.

The 7th line is the longest at 2060 feet. You zipline for 45 seconds! I forgot which one is the fastest but you zipline at 40 mph!!

I don't think anyone else took photos during the ziplining. Fico and one of the ziplining guides will take your photo on the last short zipline and you have the option to purchase it later (the ones the guide took, not the ones Fico took).

We headed to La Fortuna for lunch. It's a small town not far from where we were. Fico gave suggestions for lunch and we opted for faster service since we wanted to check out the stores for souvenirs.

Fico referred to this park as Central Park. There are stores and restaurants on the left and right side of the photo. The Arenal volcano is behind the church and you can see a glimpse of our bus at the bottom of the church.

We had lunch at that restaurant, which I guess is considered fast food. The dish I ordered though was so yummy! I believe they call it carne salsa. Yum!!

This would be the best place to buy local products and souvenirs. Most of us like the wooden folding table mats they used at the Hotel Manoa and saw many of us buy it. Gonecruisin has a photo of it in his post. It is simply heavy since it's made of wood. Costa Rica is known for its coffee as well. It's not the top industry though this time but it used to be the main economic resource for the country. This is also the best place to buy coffee bags for souvenirs or for your own use.

When we arrived back to the hotel, we had the option to attend the Maleku art presentation. The Maleku is an ancient Costa Rican tribe and only 600 of them remain. They try to continue living their traditions and they have particular type of art made from gourds and wood. I forgot to take a photo of their work which you could see at the table behind. I did purchase a few products which I will photograph later and post. Here is Fico with three Malekus explaining some of their language and art. The woman is wearing their traditional costume.

This was just a busy day and I guess I had the hot springs in mind and how to do my art work and forgot to take photos of the Maleku art. Anyway, right after the are presentation, we got ready for the hot springs. We met at 5 pm and headed to the Hidalgo Hot Springs. It was about a 20 minute drive from the hotel. Our hotel as well had hot springs, mostly fed from the nearby volcanoes.

Once you reach the reception area of the hot springs, it is about a hundred feet from the reception to get to the pools. Here is my first glimpse of the hot springs. Since this pool is closest to the source, it is the hottest among all the three pools.

As you go from left to right, the water gets cooler - but still warm. It also started to rain by the time we got in the water.

Our other guide, Lucy advised us not to stay in the hot springs too long and to dip in the small cold pool once in a while. Some got carried away in conversation and actually felt a little woozy after staying too long in the hottest pool.

This is the waterfall which feeds the pools.

We spent about an hour in the hot springs and we had dinner at the Hidalgo Hot Springs afterwards. This was a really great day!

ABD-2014(Ireland/Scotland),2013(CR),2012(Greece/Alpine Magic),2011 (Peru & Ecuador),2010 (SWS),2009 (CKL),2008 (VI); DCL-2007 (DW 3n),2008 (DM 7n WC),2010 (11n Med),2011 (DD 3n,7n MR,DD 4n),2012 (DFMV 7nWC,5nCan DM,5n DD),2013(3n DD,12n Med DM),2014(DD4n,DF7n NYE),DParis 09/09-WDW (Boardwalk) 12/06-DL (Grand Californian) 09/05-WDW (AK Lodge) 10/04 WDW (Coronado Springs) 06/03-DL 09/00-WDW (All Star Music) 10/98-WDW (Port Orleans) 11/97-DL Jun92
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #153
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Wow! This really does seem to be a jam-packed trip!

Those zip-lines seem really scary to me, though! My only time zip-lining was a "family" (ie, baby) zipline, and that was just about my tolerance level!

Looking forward to more!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #154
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

White water rafting

Yes, the ziplines can be a bit daunting. It's really fun though and a great ice breaker!

So on we go! We leave Arenal early morning for a long drive to Tenorio River where we will go for our white water rafting. The Hotel Manoa is our favorite hotel. DD describes it like a little village. It's very cozy and quiet. We got a lot of millipedes crawling on the floor and DD got a kick out of kicking them out the door. She says they are like elongated roly poly pillbugs!

First thing I did when I woke up was check the Arenal volcano. It was even covered with heavier clouds so no chance of seeing the peak in this trip.

We had the option to go floating and rafting. Floating is a mild activity, you still go on an inflated raft but you go through calm waters the whole time. Those who are physically challenged may do so. The group looked for wild life and went to the wild cat conservatory where they had mountain lions and ocelots in captivity. Most of the group went rafting. We first separated in floating and rafting groups in a restaurant where we also made a quick potty break. Our guides gave us snacks on the bus since the rafting is 2 hours long and lunch won't be till 230 pm. It was another 20 minute drive to the spot where we got on a truck to take us near the river.

We got on the truck and we drove another 20 minutes near the river. Once we reached this spot, we geared up and walked about 3 minutes to the river bank.

Whew! Finally we got on our respective rafts and paddled away. I believe Gonecruisin mentioned about lacking oars. All of us were provided oars, even the youngest children.

This was so much fun!! I got super wet mostly from other people splashing water. I had no intention to get in the river, although some did and the rapids had major splash areas. I saw one boat topple over and our guide tried really hard to get us fall in the water. We managed to stay upright. There were a few minor mishaps but no major injury. It was really fun and we had lots of laughs!!!

These were just the photos I managed to take in between paddling. The company who provided the rafting activity had a photographer who took photos in strategic spots. The photos were awesome!! The photographer had a better camera than I did and he was facing us. The guides bought the photos and included them with the photos they took so we should get them online as well.

There were a couple of areas that were too narrow and steep to go through so we had to get off the boat and walk past the area.

After the rafting, we had to climb a flight of stairs to get to the snack area. Our truck was waiting and it was a 40 minute bumpy ride to get back to our bus - which drove us back to the restaurant where we dropped off the floaters. We had lunch and headed our way to the next hotel.

This was really a fun and exciting activity!! We thought the white water rafting in CR is better than the one in Southwest Splendors and Peru. The river water is also very clean and the temperature perfect.

Of course, it was pouring on the way to Guanacaste. The rain is in patches though and by the time we got to Villas Sol, the rain has stopped. Lucy wanted to get there before sunset. Since I had to take care of our things, unpack the necessary items, I missed out on the sunset photo. My DD managed to take one with her iPhone...

I told myself, I'll take a photo the next day. I guess I was just too busy thinking of the next thing and really missed out on a number of photo ops.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #155
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Snorkeling

Our last day...the beach was a shuttle away from our hotel so it wasn't an early get up day. Once on the beach, we boarded a skiff which took us to our private catamaran. As you can see, it was a nice sunny day. We were already on the Pacific side of CR and this area is drier, but still gets rainfall in the wet season.

The skiff is off to pick up the rest of the group on the beach.

We saw more wildlife. These are two olive ridley turtles mating. The olive ridley is the smallest green sea turtle.

We also saw a couple of humpback whales!!!

We got really close to these whales! Unlike in Hawaii where they maintain a minimum distance to view the whales, we just went as close as possible. One whale dove and we saw its fluke. That made Fico so excited and started jumping up and down as he stood by the sail!

We continued on to our snorkeling spot. It was about 3 miles from shore.

One of the crew threw a line and caught a small tuna (!) and was later released.

The water temperature was perfect! Here is a puffer fish.

There were lots of fish!

DD saw an eel and one guest saw an octopus. The water was very rich with marine life.

There were also spotted dolphins and they approached our boats. They swam right in front of our boats which was an amazing sight!!

Afternoon was on our own. The kids played and swam in the pool. We didn't like this hotel so much. It's an all-inclusive resort and it attracts a certain kind of crowd. I'll be a little wary if they hold contests called Macho Man as the men do squats while carrying their wives.

All ABD guests had rooms facing the ocean.

This is a sticker on our balcony door and you can see the view from our room.

More spectacular views. The roofed area on the left of the photo is the restaurant where we had our meals.

I mentioned I was going to catch the sunset this day, right? Well, it rained so no spectacular sunset photo for me. It really poured just before our farewell dinner but it let up by the time we walked to dinner.

So that's my trip report. Hope it'll help future CR ABD goers!! Over all, it was a really fun trip. The families we were with were all wonderful and game. Highly recommended!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #156
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufbuf View Post
So that's my trip report. Hope it'll help future CR ABD goers!! Over all, it was a really fun trip. The families we were with were all wonderful and game. Highly recommended!!!
Thanks for posting your great Trip Report, tufbuf! I know you posted on Gonecruisin's thread, but if you could please post a link in the Trip Report Sticky to the part that's your report, that would be great. You could do something like post a link to Page 10 of this thread, and that your Report starts in Post #143.

The snorkeling sounds great! Especially the unexpected whales!

Sayhello
Old 08-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #157
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Thanks for posting your great Trip Report, tufbuf! I know you posted on Gonecruisin's thread, but if you could please post a link in the Trip Report Sticky to the part that's your report, that would be great. You could do something like post a link to Page 10 of this thread, and that your Report starts in Post #143.

The snorkeling sounds great! Especially the unexpected whales!

Sayhello
Thanks sayhello! Was it a problem adding on to Gonecruisin's report? I didn't want to start a new thread and thought adding it was still a 2013 Costa Rica adventure. Sorry if so. I'll add the sticky... Let me first figure it out...

Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #158
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thanks sayhello! Was it a problem adding on to Gonecruisin's report? I didn't want to start a new thread and thought adding it was still a 2013 Costa Rica adventure. Sorry if so. I'll add the sticky... Let me first figure it out...

Not a problem at all! I just want to make sure that people searching for a Trip Report on Costa Rica realize that there are *2* current Trip Reports. I want to be sure they read both of them, because they are both great.

Sayhello
Old 08-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #159
mmrunsdisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
July is still rainy season. Your list is pretty good so far. Another thing, which I meant to mention later is bring an extra dry shoe/beach sandal. It would have been nice to change to a dry pair after the nature boat ride. Your feet and shoes will get soaking wet during the white water rafting as well. And since the area is very humid, it takes a while for wet things to dry up. You can just borrow the ponchos in Tortuguero. This is one trip where traveling light would be essential.

We wore REI shirts or similar (Columbia, Kuhl,etc.,) for the activities. They are cool, has UV protection and easy to dry. We know we were doing the right thing since Fico was wearing the exact same outfits! We also wore REI shorts or pants.

One other thing you might want to add to your list is the sunscreen.

We went at the beginning of July. With respect to bug spray, I was given the heads up that you need stronger (more deet) bug spray. I live by a LL Bean retail store, but any other outdoor store will have it. We got 100% Deet and put extremely small amounts around our neck, wrists and ankles on the advice of the person at LL Bean (especially when we told him we were going to Costa Rica). We didn't have a problem with bugs - and my daughter is usually an attractive target for all bugs that bite. We didn't let either of our kids touch the bug spray/deet - just something to consider for anyone else going on this trip (which was awesome).
mmrunsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #160
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

When we took the ABD in 2008, Arenal erupted everyday and we took a night time bus ride to a spot where we could see the glowing red lava flow. We were there at the end of July. I brought bug spray and never needed to use it. The rafting is on a different river now and it looks like you had better rapids. We didn't see the turtles or have the catamaran excursion. Those look like great improvements over the old itinerary.

Great trip report, tufbuf!
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #161
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo912 View Post
When we took the ABD in 2008, Arenal erupted everyday and we took a night time bus ride to a spot where we could see the glowing red lava flow. We were there at the end of July. I brought bug spray and never needed to use it. The rafting is on a different river now and it looks like you had better rapids. We didn't see the turtles or have the catamaran excursion. Those look like great improvements over the old itinerary.

Great trip report, tufbuf!
Oh my gosh, Bobo!!! That must have been an awesome sight!! Our guide Fico did say the volcano flowing with lava was great for tourism. It stopped in 2010. Do you have any photos? And thank you!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:20 AM   #162
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh my gosh, Bobo!!! That must have been an awesome sight!! Our guide Fico did say the volcano flowing with lava was great for tourism. It stopped in 2010. Do you have any photos? And thank you!

Unfortunately, I'm not a good enough photographer to take a photo of the lava flow. I tried, but all I got was darkness. The lava was on the opposite side from the hotel, so we only saw it that one night. But at the hotel we could hear the explosions and see the big plumes of ash. It was very cool.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #163
familygoboston
Mouseketeer

Love, love your report!
A few thoughts:

I'm enjoying your report of the "new trip"...we did a night in Torteguero on our own, and it was a highlight, glad it's been added to the ABD.

I see you met Michael the "pineapple slayer" as we jokingly called him on our trip!

I think the addition of a "tamer" raft ride is a great one, as is the sailboat trip- wow! You were on top of that marine life...just beautiful!

We also encountered the situation like you did where it mostly rained while we were in buses or inside- but it was very very damp! But that's what made it amazing! We has no bug issues though. Maybe in June it's still to early for so many to have hatched yet ???

For those who are going in rainy season- I recommend quick dry EVERYTHING! we had quick dry socks and underwear, tees and pants. We brought 0 cotton- it simply will NOT dry! Even our sandals were quick dry amphibious sandels! Happy packing! ( at least it's all lightweight!)

Great report photos and details! Makes me want to go back soon!
ABD Andean Highlands and Galapagos Islands 2012
Photo Review: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987674
WDW- visits since 1976, lost count a long time ago.
familygoboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #164
tchrrx
Blame it on the plastic cow I mentioned on another board
That's right.... I sucked a plastic cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by familygoboston View Post
For those who are going in rainy season- I recommend quick dry EVERYTHING! we had quick dry socks and underwear, tees and pants. We brought 0 cotton- it simply will NOT dry! Even our sandals were quick dry amphibious sandels! Happy packing! ( at least it's all lightweight!)

Great report photos and details! Makes me want to go back soon!
Any recommendations for clothing brands and stores? I saw some things I liked at Dick's Sporting Goods, but they were fairly expensive. Is there ever time to wash clothes (even if by hand)? Would they have time to dry if we washed them in the sink? It seems like we will be packing and moving frequently.

2006- WDW CR (DD's 1st trip & my parents came) 2007- WDW SSR (1st trip 'home' & suprise trip for DD) 2008- WDW SSR (surprised DD w/her aunt) 2009- WDW SSR (inlaws) 2010- Our 1st ABD (Spirit of America) 2011- WDW SSR & BLT and our 1st Cruise (Disney Dream) 2012- WDW BLT (DD's surprise birthday trip); ABD Southwest Splendors 2013- DL GCV (Our 1st DL trip); Disney's Vero Beach; Disney Fantasy 2014- ABD Costa Rica
tchrrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #165
tufbuf
Disney Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrrx View Post

Any recommendations for clothing brands and stores? I saw some things I liked at Dick's Sporting Goods, but they were fairly expensive. Is there ever time to wash clothes (even if by hand)? Would they have time to dry if we washed them in the sink? It seems like we will be packing and moving frequently.
You can check REI and Magellan for quick dry clothes. The humidity won't allow clothes to dry easily (especially cotton) unless you face a fan or use a blow dryer. It's a short trip, if you look at it, you need 5 pieces of clothing/outfits and a couple of change of clothes after the hot springs and white water rafting. We don't even unpack since we are constantly on the move. The most free time we had was in Tortuguero at the Laguna Lodge and that was the first day, so not a whole lot of dirty clothes then. Hope that helped.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: