Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #511
RachelNinja
Sometimes I'd rather live in VMK than in real life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsmom04 View Post
Baltimore has the Inner Harbor that has lots of cool things like the National Aquarium and the science museum as well.
Ooo, more places to visit! It'd be a totally different kind of vacation as compared to our WDW vacations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Self_resqing_princz View Post
I've never been on Captain EO either... and I've never done sum of all thrills... I'm not even sure I've been in in the building they are in.
You have to make sure you try it soon! I love how there are still so many things to try for the first time despite having been there many times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
If you can get there at opening one of these days and are the first in line, you can get some good pictures with all five together. Didn't know if you knew that or not, but just FYI, in case you didn't.

I want to do this. The sides are open, right? I wouldn't be able to do it if it is completely closed in.

I'd say the bobsled would be perfect for me, too.
And as for the Kingdom Keepers stuff, I don't ever want to read those books. I know too many people who read them, enjoy them, but are creeped out by certain park things after that. Ignorance is bliss for me, in this case.
Oh yeah, I remember seeing that in your TRs! That'd be such a great photo to have.

You're actually completely enclosed in Sum of All Thrills. Even though you're sitting next to someone, you can't see him/her except via the little shot on the bottom corner of the monitor because there's a camera. I get the slightest bit of anxiety due to claustrophobia, but it isn't that long so I'm okay.

Haha, yeah, Kingdom Keepers definitely changes how you see the parks! One of my students introduced it to me years ago. When I got injured during a school trip (injured coccyx when we went rollerblading and a kid skated in front of me!), he and his mom, who I know well, dropped my stuff off at my house from the school. They added the books in there so I could finally read them. Lying in bed flat on my back, I got sucked in! I can't wait for each book although I can't imagine everything in the latest one because it's on the cruise ship.

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

BLOG / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER - Msg me here if you want to follow
RachelNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #512
HappyHaunts999
Mouseketeer

I remember that trip. Did they go skating after that?
Joe is looking forward to doing Sum of all Thrills on our next trip.
HappyHaunts999 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #513
RachelNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHaunts999 View Post
I remember that trip. Did they go skating after that?
Joe is looking forward to doing Sum of all Thrills on our next trip.
Yeah, we've been back there. I refused to skate, of course! This past year we went to the ice skating pavilion since Sandy messed up our plans to go to Roller Jam. I didn't skate there either!

He can probably make it a lot more thrilling than I can!

Weird and Ninja Shout Out to You (Jan '15 TR in progress) // Mr. and Mrs. Weak Sauce Go the Distance (May '12 Disneymoon TR) // Delicious Indeed! (Feb '11 TR) // Saving Dole Whip Float Money (Feb '11 PTR) // Weird and Ninja’s Pre-Disneymoon (April '10 TR) // It's Better Than Stuffed Mezzaluna with Sausage! (April '10 PTR) // A DISer's Trip of Firsts! (Feb '08 TR) // The Flat Adventures of Weird and Ninja! (Living the Life Outside of VMK)

Old 02-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #514
RachelNinja

Vision House

After getting our minds blown by Captain EO, we scurried on over to Innoventions to check out Vision House. I had seen pictures of it and also read that it's not really the most interesting thing to see, but I was curious to see the rooms. We had some time to wait until the next tour, so we did the little test on the screen.

The front of the house was very inviting. So clean!

Made me wish that we had a house! Of course, having a house like this would mean having to shovel after the blizzard we just had here in the Northeast. I was saying to Howard that it was pretty cool that we didn't have to shovel since we live in an apartment. Finally, we had one big advantage to our small living space!

The house number was 2012. There were a couple more groups that joined the line, and then it was time to start the tour. I took video of part of the tour so you can get a taste of what it's all about.

VIDEO: Vision House

Here's the first room. The tour guide mentioned some of the energy-saving and environmentally-friendly things about the house. One of those things was that the red chairs were made out of recycled materal so they were actually super light.

The upstairs was off limits. They gave the House of Innoventions a storyline of how we were visiting someone's house and they were away at the time. I can't remember if they were on vacation or something.

Gotta love this kitchen though! Our kitchen space right now in our apartment is so small that when I turn around from the sink and stove to the counter behind me, I get dizzy because it's literally just spinning around in a circle! This type of kitchen entices me! And look at how big that fridge is! Ours is so itty-bitty that we don't have much storage space. I would love to have more freezer space so that we can buy more things on sale to freeze or to make more meals in the crockpot and divide up to freeze. It'd be cool to have cheese around too, haha.

Here was our dear tour guide explaining something about the dishwasher. Oh man, to have a dishwasher now would be fabulous too! Howard and I have to do dishes so often. Oh, that screen on the counter controlled a lot of things in the house including the temperature.

Two ovens! Amazing. And a little area for the pets.

Part of the wall was removed so that we could see the insulation behind it. I liked that on the board they had Sept 15th because that's my birthday. Oh, and I recognized that red clock on the desk as one that's from IKEA.

The living room. Our couch is not this neat, haha. We often have to lay out laundry on it to cool off or completely dry. When it's finally cleared off, it gets really exciting because they we can lounge and watch a movie. When we're on the couch though, I tend to fall asleep!

Moving on to the bedrooms and bathrooms. Two sinks! It was like the two sinks we had back at our room in AKL where we could each have our own space and tons of counterspace.

The greatest thing about this place was the toilet. It had all these extras added to it including seat warmers! Haha. The tour guide encouraged us to touch the seat!

The shape is rather odd. I vaguely remember something about music too, but really at this point, I could be making it up. The stuff about this part of our trip was not really something I really felt like I needed to remember.

Tubs like this kind of freak me out because they seem to be what's used in scary movies!

LOOK! It's my husband!

Haha, Howard took this picture of me where it looks like I'm peeking into another room when I shoudn't be, but the tour guide was there explaining something so I was listening!

This is the thing I liked the most that I wanted for us ... washer and dryer! It took a bit of time before we got our own. We have one of those machines that serves as the washer AND dryer in the same drum so we don't have to move things over. But it also takes a full 3.5 hours to do one small load. We're okay with that because we are just very grateful we have our own machine instead of having to go to a laundromat.

The master bedroom.

The kids' rooms were pretty cluttered. On ekid was working on her science project using potatoes as an energy source.

In the backyard, there was a hidden Mickey in this plant area. Every time that I look at this picture, I have to actually search for it. It's in the upper right corner if you want to look for it.

Lastly, you can see all the sponsors of Vision House including Siemens, Sylvania, and Panasonic.

We said thank you to the tour guide and then moved on our way to something a little bit more exciting! We were HUNGRY and had a snack in mind in the World Showcase!

Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #515
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Yay an update! How have i never even known about this vision house? Probably because i never go in innoventions.

What is the point of the house?

My birthday is September 9th

Our apt is very small too. We have a dishwasher and W/D though. We only live in 688 square feet though. Having a house would be nice but not paying for all of the bills. Its so easy to call our landlord to fix it!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #516
HappyHaunts999
Mouseketeer

We haven't done this in years. It looks really cool, I willl have to go take a look next time while Sam and Joe are flipping on Thrills.
HappyHaunts999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:48 AM   #517
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelNinja View Post

We instead headed to Innoventions to check out the Sum of All Thrills!

We had a really fun ride even though we chose the bobsled (the calmest choice). It was still a thrill for me!
I would love to do the bobsled, but the closed in part is going to keep me from doing this, I guess.

I'm glad you got pictures of the house. It's always fun to see the 'lesser known' and not often photographed things in WDW.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
MeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #518
livsmom04
DIS Veteran

I love the kitchen, the bathroom sinks of course, and I love the laundry room! Oh how I wish I had a larger laundry room!

7/96-Offsite, 5/98-Offsite, 5/10-ASM, 7/11-POP, 4/12 -POP, 8/12-Coronado Springs, 6/13-Coronado Springs, 6/13 AKV, 9/14 POP
Trip Reports:
Seriously, Disney Again? A F&W Festival & MNSSHP PTR! *Updated MNNSHP Costumes & Friends Going 8/11*
Me? A Princess? Shut Up!! My 1st PHM PTR!
Completed TR-A Family Trip Full of Surprises: 2 Updates! Complete!!

livsmom04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #519
RachelNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Yay an update! How have i never even known about this vision house? Probably because i never go in innoventions.

What is the point of the house?

My birthday is September 9th

Our apt is very small too. We have a dishwasher and W/D though. We only live in 688 square feet though. Having a house would be nice but not paying for all of the bills. Its so easy to call our landlord to fix it!
You definitely should stop by both sides of Innoventions. There's plenty to do without it being too busy. I think we've played the majority of the games and visited most of the exhibits. I'd definitely recommend it for some more relaxed fun. I think the point of the house is just showcasing a lot of the things that these companies sponsor/make that would make a home more eco-friendly. Very educational.

You're the 4th person I know with a birthday on 9/9!

Haha, your apartment sounds big to us! Our studio apartment is only around 300 sq ft! Haha, we love that we have a place together though although I look forward to one day actually having a real bedroom! We have an 5x5 Expedit shelf from IKEA, which acts as our room divider. Since it's just the two of us, it works. It was fantastic having our teeny-tiny apartment though when the blizzard came! No need to shovel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHaunts999 View Post
We haven't done this in years. It looks really cool, I willl have to go take a look next time while Sam and Joe are flipping on Thrills.
I think if I didn't have such an issue standing, I would've enjoyed it more. I really did like seeing parts of the house and wondering if we would ever have a house of our own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I would love to do the bobsled, but the closed in part is going to keep me from doing this, I guess.

I'm glad you got pictures of the house. It's always fun to see the 'lesser known' and not often photographed things in WDW.
We really do want to try to do a lot of the things that aren't as well-known! Of course, we also don't do the things that ARE well-known like Expedition Everest and Rock'n Rollercoaster! I guess there's something for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by livsmom04 View Post
I love the kitchen, the bathroom sinks of course, and I love the laundry room! Oh how I wish I had a larger laundry room!
Oh, how I would love a laundry room! We have the combined washer/dryer in our small bathroom, but like I said in my update, I'm just so grateful we can do our own laundry at home. When we first got married, we were bringing it over to my parents house, and it was just a pain having to make sure we washed anything that we needed on that Saturday!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #520
RachelNinja

This is NOT YO CHEESE!

(I apologize if the pictures are super large! With the new layout for Photobucket, I thought I had resized them. I see now that they're still much bigger than what I normally post, but I finished the update so I'm posting it anyway.)

After our tour of Vision House, we knew it was about time for a snack! There's always a list of foods that we want to try (or that I want to try considering all the time I spend on DIS and looking at the AllEars menus), so we were going to head on over to World Showcase. On the way, we passed by the area where Test Track is. We were unbelievably disappointed that we couldn't ride one of our FAVORITE rides during our honeymoon. We couldn't stand that Thunder Mountain was also closed for refurbishment until the end of our trip.

VIDEO: Test Track Sadness

Of course, we couldn't deny the fact that these views were just magnificent despite not being able to ride Test Track. We took the "shortcut" way to the Mexico pavilion. It's a bit unbearable to walk straight towards the World Showcase Lagoon when the sun is beating down on me. I do, however, like stopping at the Duffy store though. When there's a snack on my mind though, I'll bypass that store.

Yum! Look at all the options here! We knew that we were going to get an order of nachos for $9.99. The menu description says that it's corn tortilla chips topped with ground beef, nacho cheese, tomatoes, jalapenos, black beans, and sour cream. When we ordered it, they asked us if we wanted everything on it, so it's nice that you can somewhat customize it if you didn't want jalapenos on it or something. I would'ved liked to have Jarritos or Sidral, one of the Mexican sodas, but if we were spending $10 on a snack, we'd just continue to drink our Vitamin Water!

We were able to snag a table not too close to the railing in the hot sun near the birds that seem as if they are about to attack. I had read that there are seats indoors, but I didn't bother to check. When we were on our way out, I did see the sign that indicated that there were seats indoors.

I think that would've made our snack over the top. Sitting in some relaxing, cooling AC away from the birds would've made it extra enjoyable!

As you can see, there are different colored chips here. When we had this snack back in December, they didn't have the colors. It was also missing the black beans. That's why we look back on our Disneymoon nachos with even higher regard. None of the chips were soggy, and there was a lot of toppings on it. I don't like it when nachos look as if they have a bunch of toppings on it but are severely lacking underneath.

They gave us an extra side of nacho cheese too, something that we did not get in December. You can never have enough of this plastic cheese!

La Cantina de San Angel also has two different types of salsa. The green one is mild, and the red one is hot. It's very different than the typical jarred salsa I'm used to. It's not a chunky salsa, and it has a much different taste. I was thrown off by it at first, but I actually grew to really love it. I was alternating between dipping the chips in the cheese sauce and the salsa. It was a great combination, and I appreciated the variety. I did also try the hot salsa, and it was just too spicy for me because I wasn't in the mood to risk getting heartburn or a stomachache.

Haha, can you tell we get a little obsessive with our food pictures? But it works out well because we have so many pics to look at now after the fact!

We devoured the chips pretty quickly, but it was definitely a good-sized snack. We were both satisfied and will definitely get it as a snack whenever we visit. They were just really good nachos, and we don't have a place nearby that just has really good nachos with all the fixings. Yes, I do know that it's nothing fancy, but being at Disney makes it all taste better, am I right?

Howard took pictures of the atmosphere. I can imagine how nice this place would be to have a snack or an easy dinner while watching IllumiNations!

Do people stake out this area super early?

With our stomachs happy, we began the walk back to Future World. Howard really likes clouds (haha, I know that's kind of a funny sentence), so he had to take a picture of the clouds' reflection in the water.

I couldn't decide between the two pictures, so I posted both.

We walked by using the "shortcut" again. As we neared the Test Track building, I was upset that we couldn't hear that lovely zooming sound!

I told Howard to take a picture of me like this to indicate just how sad I was that we couldn't ride Test Track during our honeymoon.

But then I thought, oh wait ... we are on our honeymoon because we are finally MARRIED! Haha, although this photo was somewhat staged, it was after I actually had that exact thought of "OMG, we're MARRIED!" Seriously, it didn't get old (and it still hasn't!).

It seems so boring. Even looking at this picture, I can distinctly remember how quiet it was.

We did have to visit the area just to see it covered with the wall and the random Chevrolet cars out front.

VIDEO: Need TT Now, Chevrolet!

Alas, it was time to move on and stop lamenting. Haha, after making some more sad faces and complaining in the above video. We were actually getting ready to leave Epcot soon after this because we did have an ADR for that night! Stay tuned to see where we go.

Last edited by RachelNinja; 02-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #521
Bridora
DIS Veteran

Wow! Those nachos look great! My husband and son love apple soda - we may just have to stop by there for snack sometime!

I remember how quiet it was without Test Track running - it was just wrong!
2003-My 1st Trip to Disney!-All Star Movies ** 2004-Pop Century ** 2005-All Star Movies ** 2006-Caribbean Beach ** 2007-Caribbean Beach (without the kids!) ** 2008-Port Orleans Riverside ** 2009-Polynesian (we became DVC owners!) ** 2010-Bay Lake Tower**2011-Boardwalk/Beach Club**2012-Dream & Kidani Village**2013-Old Key West
Bridora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #522
Curiouser&curiouser!
DIS Veteran

Mmm. Those Nachos look yummy. I should not have tuned in without eating lunch first.
Curiouser&curiouser! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #523
Jennifer48
Not a Disney bride but engaged and honeymooned at Disney!

I couldn't get DH on Sum of All Thrills even promising no loops. I'm glad you were able to do the mild ride!

You are right, there is music that comes out of that toilet in Vision House. Many jokes were made when we heard that.

We rode TT this month and I hate to say it but we both disliked the refurb. I mean strongly dislike. *thumbs down* I want to ride it again just to make sure it was as bad as we thought.

Your "shortcut" to Mexico reminds me of the time I saw you, Howard and your cousins walking past as I was sitting there waiting for DH to get out of the bathroom. I still kick myself for not yelling out to you!
Aulani: '13
My Latest Invention: The Traffic-eliminator-inator!
A Road Trip Engagement
Best Friends and New Friends - A MAGICal Tale
My First Disney Cruise Trip Report
Jennifer48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #524
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

You chose well eating outdoors in Mexico. I think that indoor eating area just feels like a big cafeteria. We grab a table outside whenever we can!
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #525
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

So I'm getting caught up with everyone's TR's and because it is Ash Wednesday I'm fasting so I haven't eaten since last night and every post is about DISNEY FOOD!!!! Seriously, those nachos look so delicious, especially right now when my stomach is growling in protest.

It is a bummer when a favorite ride isn't open on any trip, but there is something about it being your Disneymoon that just makes it worse somehow! For us on our Disneymoon, Big Thunder and RnRC were not open. Just thinking about it makes me a little sad.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: