Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #121
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwood View Post
Who did everyone use for trip insurance? There are some policies on insuremytrip that are half the price of what Disney is charging.
We always use the insurance offered by ABD.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:58 PM   #122
ymxbfalcon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
Please welcome Nancy and Matt and Michele and Jessica to our Adventure!!!!
I look forward to getting to know all of you!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-01-2012, 06:52 AM   #123
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Who did everyone use for trip insurance? There are some policies on insuremytrip that are half the price of what Disney is charging.
We've purchased through Insuremytrip for several trips, including this one. I usually read the reviews and check the details of the policy to insure it will cover what we need. Check the insurance rating and the actual insurance company. (For instance, for ABD we bought a TruTravel package, but this is actually covered under Nationwide Insurance - which is a trustworthy carrier IMO.) There are usually also reviews of each carrier that are linked that I read through as well.

Luckily,we have never had to USE the trip insurance, so I can't say how the insurance works once you NEED it, though. I am 100% certain the ABD trip insurance is reliable, but as you said, it is quite expensive.

Wherever you get your insurance, you typically need to add it within 14 days of booking, else it usually won't cover pre-existing conditions.

SP

P.S. Oh, and to the trip!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 AM   #124
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

Welcome!!!

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #125
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
We've purchased through Insuremytrip for several trips, including this one. I usually read the reviews and check the details of the policy to insure it will cover what we need. Check the insurance rating and the actual insurance company. (For instance, for ABD we bought a TruTravel package, but this is actually covered under Nationwide Insurance - which is a trustworthy carrier IMO.) There are usually also reviews of each carrier that are linked that I read through as well.

Luckily,we have never had to USE the trip insurance, so I can't say how the insurance works once you NEED it, though. I am 100% certain the ABD trip insurance is reliable, but as you said, it is quite expensive.

Wherever you get your insurance, you typically need to add it within 14 days of booking, else it usually won't cover pre-existing conditions.

SP

P.S. Oh, and to the trip!
That is the policy I was looking at also. Most of the reviews are from people who never used it so not sure how reliable their coverage is. We don't have pre-existing conditions so the only time I would use it would be if one of us was sick or something happened to my 86 year old mother.

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #126
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That is the policy I was looking at also. Most of the reviews are from people who never used it so not sure how reliable their coverage is. We don't have pre-existing conditions so the only time I would use it would be if one of us was sick or something happened to my 86 year old mother.
I agree most reviews are "I didn't use this, so it was great" but if you wade down through them, there are usually a few that had to use the policy.

Our concern as well, my DW has a 92 year-old Grandmother who is in good health, but you never know. I think if you check the policy and make sure it covers you in the cases you want it to - as most will cover if you are sick or something serious happens to an immediate family member. However, rarely will they cover cancelation just an illness to a family member...again I would read the policy carefully, and even call the 800 number and ask questions if you have something specific. I (obviously) think there is no reason that you couldn't find a good TI without using the Disney one.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #127
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Be careful. "Pre-existing conditions" covers your 86 year old mother, also. If something were to happen to her to cause you to cancel your trip, but it was a pre-existing condition for her, you would not be covered. A pre-existing condition is any medical condition you had or were treated for, during the "lookback period" prior to your buying the policy (usually, 60 to 90 days prior to the purchase). If it's a chronic condition that's stabilized, and for which the treatment hasn't changed during the lookback period, then it doesn't count as a pre-existing condition (if, say, you're a diabetic with good control and no changes to your meds).

I've had to use the policy I bought with Travelex, and I found them wonderful to work with. They covered pretty much everything, including the ER, re-booking the flight I missed (including change charges & increased airfare), an extra night in a hotel and some meals. Worth every penny! (They dealt directly with the ER's billing department; I never even saw a bill!) Long story, at the end of my Alaska ABD...

Also, for some of the International trips, ABD's insurance can actually be much cheaper than outside companies. It was for my Knights & Lights trip.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 09-01-2012 at 05:50 PM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #128
starwood

They really could write these things so the average person would be able to see if it meets their needs.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #129
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

We make it a point to not quote what is or is not covered by any insurance policy, with any insurance company.

Unless you hear it from the insurance company or have it in writing, please take anything quoted by another party cautiously.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:15 AM   #130
starwood

Quote:
We make it a point to not quote what is or is not covered by any insurance policy, with any insurance company.

Unless you hear it from the insurance company or have it in writing, please take anything quoted by another party cautiously.
I didn't mean you Kevin - I meant the insurance companies. They tend to write these things so that no matter what happens they can say "you're not covered for that".

Old 09-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #131
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I didn't mean you Kevin - I meant the insurance companies. They tend to write these things so that no matter what happens they can say "you're not covered for that".
When I have guests with questions regarding ABD insurance, I give them the toll free number to Access America (the insurance company ABD uses) and suggest that they direct their questions to them.

Because some scenarios can be tricky and there are often times personal questions that need answering, I think speaking with the insurance company is best.

My post was more in about taking any advice received on the boards or from anecdotal stories from other folks about what may or may not be covered.

I have dealt with travel insurance for someone needing emergency surgery while on an ABD trip and someone needing to be airlifted from an island among other things. Most travel insurance claims are far less dramatic and usually involve flight delays, cancelations etc.

We feel you will be far better off if you ask your chosen company if you will be covered if you have to cancel the trip because Aunt Sophie has an asthma attack or you come down with a case of poison ivy.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #132
DarthVader92
Working for the Mouse

Out of curiosity to everyone how are you going to be doing your before ABD itinerary. We are hoping to fly southwest into lax the day of but it looks like (for the time being) the earliest flight gets us in at 1:45 which I believe makes us miss the transfers from the airport to the hotel (correct me if I'm wrong). So now we are debating about spending a night before in Hollywood.

Is anyone else planning to spend a night or two before ABD? Are you staying at the renaissance? What do you do about the transfer then? Is it worth to spend a night before in Hollywood?

I'd love to go out the day before to see some sights and especially forest lawn.
Disney Store 720 Former Cast Member
Disney College Program Spring 2011 Alumni
DarthVader92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #133
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader92 View Post
Out of curiosity to everyone how are you going to be doing your before ABD itinerary. We are hoping to fly southwest into lax the day of but it looks like (for the time being) the earliest flight gets us in at 1:45 which I believe makes us miss the transfers from the airport to the hotel (correct me if I'm wrong). So now we are debating about spending a night before in Hollywood.

Is anyone else planning to spend a night or two before ABD? Are you staying at the renaissance? What do you do about the transfer then? Is it worth to spend a night before in Hollywood?

I'd love to go out the day before to see some sights and especially forest lawn.
Pre-nights are available at the Loews Hollywood Hotel (formerly the Renaissance) at a cost of $279.62 per night and are based on availability.

If you book your pre-night through ABD, transfers are included from LAX to the hotel.

If you book pre-nights on your own, including the Loews Hollywood Hotel, transfers are not included and must be arranged on your own.

We always book at least one pre-night...usually two. We cant visit LA without a trip to the LA Farmer's Market.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #134
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

...and the Farmer's Market is worth it. Christy says "just for Monsieur Marcel alone!"

k5jmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #135
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Pre-nights are available at the Loews Hollywood Hotel (formerly the Renaissance) at a cost of $279.62 per night and are based on availability.
We booked a pre-night for our trip and thought it was well worth it. I know the price sounds high, but this is a very nice hotel that is located in the middle of the Hollywood strip. I had checked the cost of the hotel on my own and the ABD price was comparable so we booked it as an addon. Having the transfers from the airport was wonderful!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: