Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #466
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Disney View Post
Grad night? Oh No! I hope it's not too crowded. It's kind of ironic - We're leaving our teenager at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgibbler20 View Post
So I'm guessing they don't close the park for Grad Night like they used to in Florida?
Here's what I could find official about Grad Nite

Quote:
Disneyland® Grad Nite

A once-in-a-lifetime experience where you and your friends get to create one final high school memory. We are excited to announce new twists and enhancements for the graduating Class of 2013!

In 2013, you will have more time, more flexibility and more room for celebrating this unforgettable event . Seniors will have the opportunity to enter Disneyland® Park or Disney California Adventure® Park at any time during their Grad Nite visit with a Park Hopper® Ticket that allows them a full day to experience both Disney Parks. In addition, 2013 Grads will now receive a private showing of World of Color to kick-off the exclusive private party that begins when Disney California Adventure® Park closes.

You only graduate once. So get your friends together, party with other high school seniors from all over the country and don't miss this celebration of a lifetime!

The Disney Difference:
◦Arrival with your school anytime during park hours
◦A Park Hopper® ticket, granting you a full day's access to Disneyland® Park and Disney California Adventure® Park
◦A private Disney California Adventure® Park experience with dance parties until 3AM
◦Exclusive showing of World of Color just for Seniors
◦Enjoy Cars Land with your friends
No specifics, but it looks like the park will be open the normal hours, but then DCA is open extra late for the party. Based on last year after Carsland opened, looks like "regular" hours would be 9AM - midnight for DL and 9 AM - 10 or 11 PM for DCA. Clearly Disney expects a regular showing of World of Color on the 13th because we are scheduled for that. (Interestingly on the sign up form, it shows the 12th and the 14th, but NOT the 13th. Does that mean the 13th is sold out? )

So, am I the only one that pictures us leaning out the windows of the hotel at 2AM the Grand Californian shouting "Hey you kids, keep it down out there! I'm trying to sleep! And shut off those damn lights!"

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #467
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete

Here's what I could find official about Grad Nite

No specifics, but it looks like the park will be open the normal hours, but then DCA is open extra late for the party. Based on last year after Carsland opened, looks like "regular" hours would be 9AM - midnight for DL and 9 AM - 10 or 11 PM for DCA. Clearly Disney expects a regular showing of World of Color on the 13th because we are scheduled for that. (Interestingly on the sign up form, it shows the 12th and the 14th, but NOT the 13th. Does that mean the 13th is sold out? )

So, am I the only one that pictures us leaning out the windows of the hotel at 2AM the Grand Californian shouting "Hey you kids, keep it down out there! I'm trying to sleep! And shut off those damn lights!"
I was sad that it was looking like I would miss the Mad T Party but maybe we'll get lucky with Grad Night going on, so it could be a bonus for us!

I will def be hanging out that window tho too! Renting tuxedos like I do during prom season really makes me dislike teenagers and this will only be a few weeks after it all ends.
6/05 - First Trip 12/06 - Merry Christmas 11/07 - Mom's suprise!! & SSW October 23 - November 4, 2008 - 3 days at sea, 10 days on land... Halloween Here We Come!!3/09 & 7/09 - Short visits with a friend... 10/09 - finally became a resident now at least monthly visits

kgibbler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #468
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Renting tuxedos like I do during prom season really makes me dislike teenagers.
Yeah - not to sound too "old fogie" but teenagers are at their worst (much like vampires) when they are in large free-roaming packs - which is more than likely what we will get there. Good thing we will be getting up so early we will be too tired to be wandering around late at night.

I found a "grad night" thread on the Disneyland forum. Good 'ole Hydroguy provided this:

Quote:
In year 2011 and before the DLR grad nights were held from midnight to 6AM and caused changes to regular hours, entertainment and Magic Mornings. Starting in 2012 this changed.

Here is a link to the grad night website: http://www.grad-nights.com/gradnightcalifornia.htm

Here are the dates for 2013:

May 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 22, 23, 24, 29, 30, 31
June 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21

Here were the dates for 2012:

May 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31
June 1, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 19, 21, 22

1. Each grad gets a 1 day parkhopper ticket good for entry any time that day. Thus grads are mixed in with regular attendees during regular hours.

2. Each year the late night park will alternate. In 2012 it was DL. In 2013 it will be DCA.

3. The park will close by 11PM on these nights for regular guests.

4. Grads can stay for the special "party" from 11PM until 3AM

5. There will be a performance of Fantasmic or WOC after 11PM only for the grads

What does this mean for the regular guest?

o Regular guests no longer need to pay attention to early park closures or reduced entertainment or modifed Magic Mornings because of grad nights. So many of the past grad night "gotchas" will no longer be an issue.

o Attendance on grad night party days will have a higher number of high school seniors there during the regular hours.

o For years where grad night parties are at DCA there will be extra noise from grads and WOC until 3AM that will mostly impact GCH hotel guests because they are closest. FWIW, most GCH guests in the past have reported - including me - that noise in the GCH rooms from the parks is not a significant issue if you have the windows closed. Light sleepers may be impacted though.
Last year was the first year they did Grad nights this way, and appears THIS year is the first it will be in DCA. The general consensus is it doesn't really affect daytime crowds to they build into the evening, and the parks STAY crowded much later than they normally would. Bummer for us, but I'm guessing ABD will do everything it can to not disrupt our trip. The fistfuls of fastpasses will probably help too!

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #469
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Hoping this grad night stuff does not bother our itinerary too much. Probably the biggest impact for us will be the 14th after the adventure ends.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #470
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

I just finished watching the Disneyland trip section of today's podcast. It has me even more excited for this trip...if that is possible!!??!!

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #471
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chropistopy
I just finished watching the Disneyland trip section of today's podcast. It has me even more excited for this trip...if that is possible!!??!!
I was watching the video and got all teary eyed watching Shawn walk through for the first time. I got so excited to wear my first visit pin!! They didn't have them back when I had my first visit to WDW.?
6/05 - First Trip 12/06 - Merry Christmas 11/07 - Mom's suprise!! & SSW October 23 - November 4, 2008 - 3 days at sea, 10 days on land... Halloween Here We Come!!3/09 & 7/09 - Short visits with a friend... 10/09 - finally became a resident now at least monthly visits

Old 04-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #472
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chropistopy View Post
Me too Christy!

Quote:
I was watching the video and got all teary eyed watching Shawn walk through for the first time. I got so excited to wear my first visit pin!! They didn't have them back when I had my first visit to WDW.?
I was a bit teary eyed watching too! There is nothing quite like walking into Walt's park for the first time.

Excited for chat tonight!
Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #473
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygrl36
Excited for chat tonight!
CHAT! I'm home sick from work so I can finally join!!!

Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #474
Lee Disney
Mouseketeer

7 weeks from today!!!
Lee Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #475
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
7 weeks from today!!!
Somebody is getting excited.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #476
ymxbfalcon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
7 weeks from today!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Somebody is getting excited.

She's not alone.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #477
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

Has anyone decided on doing the WB tour on Saturday before? I was just curious if anyone was interested in maybe picking the same time slot. I figured I would do one of the later times in the day in case there are flight delays. I don't want to do it on Sunday because we only want to keep the rental car for 24 hours so I figured we would spend Sunday wandering around the Loews hotel area looking for stars and hand prints. And then maybe resting a bit before excitement overload begins.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #478
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone decided on doing the WB tour on Saturday before? I was just curious if anyone was interested in maybe picking the same time slot. I figured I would do one of the later times in the day in case there are flight delays. I don't want to do it on Sunday because we only want to keep the rental car for 24 hours so I figured we would spend Sunday wandering around the Loews hotel area looking for stars and hand prints. And then maybe resting a bit before excitement overload begins.
How late in the afternoon are the tours offered? Our flight lands at 11:40. I'm thinking 1:30 or 2:00 is the earliest that we'll get to the hotel. I'd be interested in doing the tour but it may be pushing it depending on the times offered.

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #479
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chropistopy

How late in the afternoon are the tours offered? Our flight lands at 11:40. I'm thinking 1:30 or 2:00 is the earliest that we'll get to the hotel. I'd be interested in doing the tour but it may be pushing it depending on the times offered.
I did a little looking on their website. It looks like they show a status of "available" until it's more limited availability then they show the number of tickets available. The latest time is 3:45pm that is still showing "available". It's $52 per person and $7 parking. I think I might book that time today for my mom and I.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #480
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are going to do that tour early Sunday morning. Our flight doesn't arrive at LAX on 3:20 PM, and even though it's SWA, I simply do not trust any airline to be "on time". Even so, I doubt we could make it over there in time for the tours.

Have you had any luck with the WB web-site? I've tried to book several times, but they won't let me select a "tour group" or "Add to Cart".

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: