Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 02:02 PM   #436
DarthVader92
Working for the Mouse

If there is still room me and my mom would like to sign up for the carthay circle dinner on friday.

This vacation needs to come ASAP. I am so eager to get back out to California!
Disney Store 720 Former Cast Member
Disney College Program Spring 2011 Alumni
DarthVader92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #437
disneykiwi
Mouseketeer

Hi there

Christine and I would like to join in as well if not too late.

I'm not sure what its like in the US but here when we book they will need to know there is a person in a wheelchair in the group.

Thanks

Hi from New Zealand.

Disneyland 1985, Disneyland 1992, Disneyworld 1999, Disneyland 2002, Disneyland 2004 Disneyland 2006 DisneyWorld 2010, Disneyland and ABD backstage magic trip June 2013
disneykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #438
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

17 and counting ----

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader92 View Post
If there is still room me and my mom would like to sign up for the carthay circle dinner on friday.

This vacation needs to come ASAP. I am so eager to get back out to California!
Matt - if I got it right from looking at old posts - your mom is Nancy (Starwood), correct? I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to learn people's names - cause I have no idea how to pronounce ymxbfalcon or chropistopy. Besides, if I wait until the trip starts I will never do it because I am so bad at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneykiwi View Post
Hi there

Christine and I would like to join in as well if not too late.

I'm not sure what its like in the US but here when we book they will need to know there is a person in a wheelchair in the group.

Thanks
Far from too late - can't book anything until 60 days out from date, which would be April 15th, but anyways I was going to wait a few weeks to make sure everyone had a chance to join in that wanted to. I am not sure how they will handle a large group, so I won't wait too close to the date.

I will also mention the wheelchair. I know for a fact (because we used it) that there is an elevator up to the main dining floor, which is on the second floor.

So far, an "intimate" group of 17:
Peter (skier_pete) and Ulana (ukeemom)
Rory (roryh22)
Christy (chropistopy) and Cheryl (cherylbug)
Angie (ymxbfalcon)
Kim (kgibbler20) and Mary Ann
Melanie (Disneygrl36) and Eric
Lori (BriarRosie)
Lisa (Lee Disney) and John
Matt (Darthvader92) and Matt's Mom
Toni (Disneykiwi) and Christine (brightie)

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR IN PROGRESS!!
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #439
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

Big news!!!!!!

Hi Folks,

I have some BIG NEWS!!!!

I have just gotten word from ABD that there will be some changes made to the Backstage Magic Adventure.

First, the Disneyland Welcome Dinner will be moved to the Big Thunder Ranch inside the Magic Kingdom.

Second, and this is BIG, Day 5 will start with a Character Breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe and then into DCA prior to park opening for an experience at Soarin, a spin on Toy Story Mania and a backstage experience at Cars Land and "FastPass service to a select attraction".

Finally, your Farewell Dinner will now be held at the Carthay Circle Restaurant followed by VIP seating for World of Color.

This means that the Steakhouse 55 dinner and breakfast at Goffy's Kitchen have been replaced.

The Farewell Breakfast is still being held at Storyteller's Cafe.

These are awesome additions.

This may change some of your planning.

Last edited by DisneyKevin; 04-09-2013 at 05:07 PM.
DisneyKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #440
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
I have just gotten word from ABD that there will be some changes made to the Backstage Magic Adventure.

Finally, your Farewell Dinner will now be held at the Carthay Circle Restaurant followed by VIP seating for World of Color.

This may change some of your planning.
Kevin - those are absolutely awesome additions. But you know what this means - we are going to have another discussion about what clothes to wear on chat this Thursday!

Actually, the breakfast at Storyteller's twice in a row seems a bit odd, but otherwise I love all those additions.

It does probably change the plans for the group dinner we were working on for Friday Night.

For those that are interested in it, here's my two cents:

We can either just go back to just having dinner "on our own" or change to a different restaurant. As I see it, the prime restaurant choices would be Napa Rose, Steakhouse 55, or Catal. Ulana and I would probably lean towards Steakhouse 55 because we love steak. (I'm grilling steak as I type.) Napa Rose, while probably the best food, seems like not the best place for a big group like this and I admit the menu prices scare me a bit. Overall, though I think it makes sense to get everyone's opinion and see if there ends up being a "majority rule".

Kevin - would appreciate recommendations from you as well! I haven't been to any of these places, so basing it all on reputation for those picks.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR IN PROGRESS!!
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
Old 04-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #441
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Kevin - those are absolutely awesome additions. But you know what this means - we are going to have another discussion about what clothes to wear on chat this Thursday!

Tuxes are now required and there will be a swimsuit competition.

Actually, the breakfast at Storyteller's twice in a row seems a bit odd, but otherwise I love all those additions.

Goofy's Kitchen is in the Disneyland Hotel. Cutting out the travel time to and from the hotel and having the breakfast location at the entrance to DCA allows them to add Cars Land.

In addition, the Farewell Breakfast can be a rushed affair for some guests. In the past, some guests have had to skip it due to flight schedules.

It does probably change the plans for the group dinner we were working on for Friday Night.

We can either just go back to just having dinner "on our own" or change to a different restaurant. As I see it, the prime restaurant choices would be Napa Rose, Steakhouse 55, or Catal. Ulana and I would probably lean towards Steakhouse 55 because we love steak. (I'm grilling steak as I type.) Napa Rose, while probably the best food, seems like not the best place for a big group like this and I admit the menu prices scare me a bit. Overall, though I think it makes sense to get everyone's opinion and see if there ends up being a "majority rule".

Kevin - would appreciate recommendations from you as well! I haven't been to any of these places, so basing it all on reputation for those picks.

I would always pick Catal. We love it.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #442
Roryh22
Mouseketeer

Well that was a nice surprise already from ABD.

Does this mean we will get to see the 1901 Lounge?

Also is there a big enough area in Carthay Circle for us all? Don't they normally show a photo slideshow at the farewell dinner, just wondering if this will still be possible.

Do you know if they are still going to have an animator available to draw a character for us? I had read about this on previous trips and was looking forward to it.

Pete regarding the Friday night dinner I still like the idea of us getting together as group. I would also vote for Steakhouse 55 but I'm happy to go with the majority.
Roryh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #443
ymxbfalcon
Mouseketeer

Quote:

I'm fine with doing whatever most people want to do. I do think it would be fun to get together somewhere one last time.

Quote:
You do realize this means that I now need to go shopping...

Quote:
I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to learn people's names - cause I have no idea how to pronounce ymxbfalcon or chropistopy.
I'm honestly not sure of how to pronounce the ymxb part of it myself. In my mind I just say those four letters individually. At the risk of sounding like the math teacher that I am, it's from the slope-intercept form of a linear equation - y=mx + b. (Short, non-boring version - I really enjoy teaching Algebra.) The "falcon" part is just because in addition to being a Disney geek and a Muppets geek, I am also a Star Wars geek, and Han Solo is cool.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #444
DisneyKevin
Kelvis

Such a tease!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roryh22 View Post
Well that was a nice surprise already from ABD.

Does this mean we will get to see the 1901 Lounge?

Also is there a big enough area in Carthay Circle for us all? Don't they normally show a photo slideshow at the farewell dinner, just wondering if this will still be possible.

Do you know if they are still going to have an animator available to draw a character for us? I had read about this on previous trips and was looking forward to it.

Pete regarding the Friday night dinner I still like the idea of us getting together as group. I would also vote for Steakhouse 55 but I'm happy to go with the majority.
1901 Lounge is not part of the Adventure, but you never know. You can always ask.

I have never been inside Carthay Circle Restaurant. I'm assuming it's big enough as it was ABD's idea.

I hope Stacia Martin is part of your Adventure, but there is no guarantee. She's absolutely lovely and HUGE source of Disney info.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #445
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymxbfalcon View Post
I'm fine with doing whatever most people want to do. I do think it would be fun to get together somewhere one last time.

You do realize this means that I now need to go shopping...

I'm honestly not sure of how to pronounce the ymxb part of it myself. In my mind I just say those four letters individually. At the risk of sounding like the math teacher that I am, it's from the slope-intercept form of a linear equation - y=mx + b. (Short, non-boring version - I really enjoy teaching Algebra.) The "falcon" part is just because in addition to being a Disney geek and a Muppets geek, I am also a Star Wars geek, and Han Solo is cool.
I got the Star Wars part, though I was more partial to Star Trek growing up, I am also a bit of a Star Wars geek. Our daughter is turning into one as well. I missed the slope/intercept reference though - quite clever!

I think I'll use Angie instead.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #446
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was assuming that Big Thunder Ranch meant I had to replace my lederhosen with cowboy boots and chaps.

Quote:
I have never been inside Carthay Circle Restaurant. I'm assuming it's big enough as it was ABD's idea.
When we ate there we entered and sat in the main central room, the one with all the wine bottles.

There were several rooms off the main room, but we didn't go into them. I would assume one would be big enough to hold a large party.

I am thrilled we get to go there for our farewell dinner. The food was wonderful when we were there.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #447
Lee Disney
Mouseketeer

That sounds great Kevin. . Pete, I think I'm leaning towards Steak House 55 For dinner Friday night since I was excited about going there, but like Rory, I'll go with the majority.
Lee Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #448
disneykiwi
Mouseketeer

Chris and i would like Steakhouse 55 instead as well but will fit in with whatever the decision is.

Hi from New Zealand.

Disneyland 1985, Disneyland 1992, Disneyworld 1999, Disneyland 2002, Disneyland 2004 Disneyland 2006 DisneyWorld 2010, Disneyland and ABD backstage magic trip June 2013
disneykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #449
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

My vote would be Steakhouse 55. I recently restarted listening to all the podcasts and back in 2007 Pete made a statement to expect over $100 per plate at Napa Rose. I really want to get back together for dinner but there is no way we could do that.
6/05 - First Trip 12/06 - Merry Christmas 11/07 - Mom's suprise!! & SSW October 23 - November 4, 2008 - 3 days at sea, 10 days on land... Halloween Here We Come!!3/09 & 7/09 - Short visits with a friend... 10/09 - finally became a resident now at least monthly visits

kgibbler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #450
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

I was also thinking that maybe we should oh so nicely ask Kevin to send out emails to everyone on the adventure about dinner... Just in case there are any of us that aren't on the boards. It just doesn't seem like all 37 of us come in here.
6/05 - First Trip 12/06 - Merry Christmas 11/07 - Mom's suprise!! & SSW October 23 - November 4, 2008 - 3 days at sea, 10 days on land... Halloween Here We Come!!3/09 & 7/09 - Short visits with a friend... 10/09 - finally became a resident now at least monthly visits

kgibbler20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: