Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > DIS Adventures by Disney Trips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #316
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

How is everyone planning on getting to their new hotels after? Cabs? Bus? Walk? I'm looking at the maps trying to figure out where we are going to stay and since I've never been there I really don't know how close things are.

Also, I found a Quality Inn right there that has good reviews and if you sign up for their reward program and per pay the room is only $80+taxes. I think this is where we are gonna stay. I did get our hotel for the night before the adventure starts so this just leaves flights so I can book the rental car and setting up the transfer back to LAX.

The fact that everything is pretty much planned out for us has really made me lazy when I'm usually a planning crazy person.
6/05 - First Trip 12/06 - Merry Christmas 11/07 - Mom's suprise!! & SSW October 23 - November 4, 2008 - 3 days at sea, 10 days on land... Halloween Here We Come!!3/09 & 7/09 - Short visits with a friend... 10/09 - finally became a resident now at least monthly visits

Last edited by kgibbler20; 03-12-2013 at 08:37 PM.
kgibbler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #317
starwood
This mouse GOT her next cruise
I won't even tell my DH what I'm doing. He already thinks I'm nuts

We are staying at grand Californian villas - so we only need to change rooms.

Environmentallity Begins With You
starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #318
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgibbler20 View Post
How is everyone planning on getting to their new hotels after? Cabs? Bus? Walk? I'm looking at the maps trying to figure out where we are going to stay and since I've never been there I really don't know how close things are.

Also, I found a Quality Inn right there that has good reviews and if you sign up for their reward program and per pay the room is only $80+taxes. I think this is where we are gonna stay. I did get our hotel for the night before the adventure starts so this just leaves flights so I can book the rental car and setting up the transfer back to LAX.

The fact that everything is pretty much planned out for us has really made me lazy when I'm usually a planning crazy person.
I get the crazy planning. I'm one of those. I've already spent significant time mapping out our November trip, with an entire second trip planned for an alternate date in October. I've purposefully reined it in on this trip to just let ABD handle everything. (Except those couple free days, which I why I've already worked out so much of it! Plus having been there last summer allows us familiarity with the layout.)

OK - from our experience. The Tropicana where we are staying is on Harbor Boulevard right across from the entrance. It is about a 5 minute walk to the entrance of Disneyland and DCA. However, the GC is on the other side of the entrances from Harbor Boulevard, making it probably a 10 minute walk from our hotel.

I googled the Quality Inn, and it shows up a little North up Harbor Boulevard and then up the street. When I "Walked" on google maps from there to Main Street USA I got "0.8 miles" or "15 minutes", which would have also been my guestimate, so probably 20 minute walk from the GC. (My opinion, the Tropicana or somewhere near there is well worth the extra $30-$40, especially for just one night. Walking to the Tropicana from DL/DCA is probably shorter than walking to the contemporary from the entrance of MK @ WDW.)

But, either location is too far to walk with luggage from the GC. My plan was to take a cab over. Can't be more than $10-$15. Happy to share one if we can work it out. (I was thinking that we would check out of GC in the AM after breakfast, but keep our bags there til late afternoon.)

Peter

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR IN PROGRESS!!
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #319
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

So when do we need to start thinking about dining reservations at Disneyland? I know it's not like WDW but I want to make sure I get what we want for the times when ABD is not doing our dining plans & for our 2 days post trip.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #320
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

ABD packs this trip pretty tight.

Even during the OYO (on your own) time, ABD will offer special things.

I dont want to give away surprises, but the days and nights are pretty full.

Priority seatings are easier to come by at DL.

If you are looking to dine at Blue Bayou, Napa Rose or have a large party...a priority seating is advised. Otherwise, we have never had an issue getting a table.

Just some advice.....
Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #321
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygrl36 View Post
So when do we need to start thinking about dining reservations at Disneyland? I know it's not like WDW but I want to make sure I get what we want for the times when ABD is not doing our dining plans & for our 2 days post trip.
You can't book more than 60 days out period. Realistically, you are probably OK booking a week in advance or even less. It is seriously different from WDW. We booked Carthay Circle last year shortly after it opened (July 23rd)about 30 days in advance. (BTW, Carthay Circle was fantastic!) I wasn't going to book anything other than maybe dinner on Friday @ Carthay Circle since I know Kevin/Pete/John & ABD usually seem to have a few surprises up their sleeve, and if not there's plenty of places you can just walk in. I would say if you have your heart set on someplace, go ahead and book it a few weeks in advance, but save it for the post-ABD portion.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR IN PROGRESS!!
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
Old 03-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #322
Michele&Jessica
Earning My Ears

Me and my daughter, who will be 19 years old, are arriving Saturday, early afternoon and staying at the Loews Hollywood Hotel. We want to do a couple of things on our own before trip starts. We had in mind Farmers Market and TMZ bus tour looks fun. We also want to do a studio tour. Warner Bros or Paramount. My daughter wants to do both. lol...Anyone recommend either one? We are big Harry Potter fans too.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #323
Lee Disney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post

Just some advice.....
I love surprises and Disney Surprises are even better! I can't wait!
Lee Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #324
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post

If you are looking to dine at Blue Bayou, Napa Rose or have a large party...a priority seating is advised. Otherwise, we have never had an issue getting a table.

Just some advice.....
Thanks for the advice Kevin & Pete. I know DL is a whole different story when it comes to dining. I'll have to give some thought to just our post nights then. Hmmmmmmmmmmm..................decisions, decisions.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #325
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele&Jessica View Post
Me and my daughter, who will be 19 years old, are arriving Saturday, early afternoon and staying at the Loews Hollywood Hotel. We want to do a couple of things on our own before trip starts. We had in mind Farmers Market and TMZ bus tour looks fun. We also want to do a studio tour. Warner Bros or Paramount. My daughter wants to do both. lol...Anyone recommend either one? We are big Harry Potter fans too.
We are likely going to do one Sunday morning, I think the WB lot. From what I hear, the WB has a lot of Harry Potter costume stuff as part of the tour. While we like Harry, I am more interested in seeing TV/Movie sets, which I think you get more of on the WB tour. On the weekends you are unlikely to see a celebrity, but more able to access the sets as they are not shooting.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #326
BriarRosie
Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:
Clap your hands loudly
Bounce until your rear is sore
Tags shall be granted
Official DIS TF Haiku author!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneygrl36 View Post
I'd probably do what I do at WDW. Eat in the bar.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #327
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete

We are likely going to do one Sunday morning, I think the WB lot. From what I hear, the WB has a lot of Harry Potter costume stuff as part of the tour. While we like Harry, I am more interested in seeing TV/Movie sets, which I think you get more of on the WB tour. On the weekends you are unlikely to see a celebrity, but more able to access the sets as they are not shooting.
I was looking at WB too. I really need to sit down and look at where everything is. I'm thinking I want to hit the Farmer's Market too. I think otherwise I would probably just like to look for stars and handprints lol.

Is there anything else that I should do on my first visit to LA that can happen between noon Saturday and welcome dinner Sunday??
6/05 - First Trip 12/06 - Merry Christmas 11/07 - Mom's suprise!! & SSW October 23 - November 4, 2008 - 3 days at sea, 10 days on land... Halloween Here We Come!!3/09 & 7/09 - Short visits with a friend... 10/09 - finally became a resident now at least monthly visits

Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #328
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin

Just some advice.....
After listening to the trip reports and reading the boards I can't even imagine trying to plan anything else for adventure days.

This will be the first vacation I ever just "float" along on and I can't wait!

I'm so thankful that I found the DIS all those years ago!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #329
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Pre-trip report started

Hey everybody. Happy St. Patty's Day! And 12 weeks to go.

I just thought I'd mention I started a Pre-Trip Report that includes this trip, though it is also for our (tentative) November trip to WDW. Though it would probably be a bit boring to most of you - or to anyone else - I thought I would mention it here as well. So far there's not much there, but I posted talking about what motivated me to want to take this trip. Maybe more insight into my brain than most people would want.

There's also a link in my signature.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #330
ymxbfalcon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
Hey everybody. Happy St. Patty's Day! And 12 weeks to go.

I just thought I'd mention I started a Pre-Trip Report that includes this trip, though it is also for our (tentative) November trip to WDW. Though it would probably be a bit boring to most of you - or to anyone else - I thought I would mention it here as well. So far there's not much there, but I posted talking about what motivated me to want to take this trip. Maybe more insight into my brain than most people would want.

There's also a link in my signature.
As a trip report junkie, I've got to say that a Pre-Trip Report describing a trip I'm actually going to be on is not the least bit boring to me; I'm actually finding it to be pretty exciting. (I just read what you've written so far.) It's kind of like having a "virtual souvenir."

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: